Archive for Friday, April 17, 2009

Sebelius signs bill to authorize prosecutors to carry guns into courtrooms

April 17, 2009

— Prosecutors will be able to carry concealed guns to court under a bill signed by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius.

The bill signed Friday applies to federal, state and county prosecutors, although the chief judge in a judicial district could prohibit the guns in the courthouses.

County commissions also could opt out of the bill. The law takes effect July 1.

It requires prosecutors wanting to carry concealed guns to obtain permits and undergo firearms training.

A 2006 law allowed qualified Kansas residents who obtain permits to carry concealed weapons. But it specifically bans concealed guns in courthouses — with no exceptions for prosecutors — and in several other locations, including schools, churches and polling places.

Comments

danemary 6 years, 1 month ago

ROBERTS AND BROWNBACK MUST VOTE NO TO CONFIRMING ABORTION QUEEN ON TUESDAY. IF THEY DO NOT THEN THEY HAVE ENDED THEIR POLITICAL CAREERS!!!

thebigspoon 6 years, 1 month ago

Seems like this would be a chance for some crazed thug to become more famous by getting hold of a weapon in court and making a big mess out of this silly law. Let the deputies do their job. Let prosecutors do their jobs so thugs get the most time behind bars.

Summerguuurl007 6 years, 1 month ago

"Seems like this would be a chance for some crazed thug to become more famous by getting hold of a weapon in court and making a big mess out of this silly law"

Yes, because it's so easy to tell who has a concealed weapon. That's the whole idea of concealment. No one freaks out when I'm downtown, or at the movies, or at the grocery store, because my licensed weapon is CONCEALED! And you are right. It's better for the prosecutor to have to leave her gun locked up in her car, where she won't have access to it as she leaves her car and gets assaulted by a criminal's criminal buddies. Sorry, I'm not going hand to hand with some 200 lb guy. I'll draw my gun, and if he continues his attack I'll stop the attack.

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

summerguuur1007 - If they have permission to carry there is no reason to leave it in the car. But that is not the same at taking it into the court room, where there more highly trained personnel. And I have some prosecutor get out of the way pretty da*n fast in the past - did didn't even or wouldn't have required concealed carry.

RobertMarble 6 years, 1 month ago

back when allowing concealed carry was only a debate, the anti gun bedwetters were predicting 'old west style shootouts' and 'skyrocketing violence'...but in the years since, lawrence has seen none of these things manifest.

oldcat 6 years, 1 month ago

But, are the citizens’ any safer? Has the crime rate gone down or the criminal activities ceased?

beatrice 6 years, 1 month ago

Robert, consider how many shootings have taken place in Lawrence in the past year. This is after the conceal and carry law is well-established, correct? From the stories of all the shootings going on there lately, it actually does seem a bit like "old west style shootouts" and "skyrocketing violence" to me.

Okay, so these aren't the conceal and carry folk doing the thuggery, but how can you be sure that criminals aren't just shooting first since they don't know who might be carrying? It might even be the relaxed atmosphere in which guns are so readily accepted into a society, with c&c being part of the liberal attitude toward gun rights.

While I don't fear or object to those who take the time to train and get a permit to conceal and carry, I think it is pretty obvious that it hasn't done much to stem the tied of violent acts from occurring in Lawrence.

RobertMarble 6 years, 1 month ago

I don't beleive the concept was ever intended to be a "magic bullet" to extinguish all crime. It's more of an idividual, civil rights issue. Any impact of crime overall whether positive or negative is a side note. It has been proven time & again that concealed carry does not increase crime as predicted by those opposed. Whether it actually reduces crime- that would be difficult to quantify. Also, spur of the moment crimes would certainly not be impacted either way. I do suspect it would be accurate to say that the possibility of armed citizens would add an extra dimension in the planning of those inclined to commit a pre meditated crime. It is not by random chance that the mass murders / shooting sprees commited occur in 'gun free zones' (virginia tech, columbine, etc)...The shooting rampage that started at the Colorado New Hope church was quickly curtailed by a concealed carry holder.

beatrice 6 years, 1 month ago

"a concealed carry holder" ... with law enforcement experience who was actually working at the church as a volunteer guard, brought on as extra security because of a shooting at another church the day before.

It isn't like it was just a random c&c holder who stopped the killing in Colorado. That seems like a special case to me. Are there other examples where shooting sprees have been stopped by just an average citizen -- non-security guard, non law-enforcement background type -- with c&c? I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has happened.

If c&c wasn't intended as a magic bullet to end crime -- however, many supporters did claim it would make criminals think twice before acting because they wouldn't know who was packing heat and that crime in general would go down -- then how can we tell if c&c and other lax gun laws don't actually spur greater violence overall? Violence in Lawrence appears to have grown in the past couple of years despite c&c laws. Why can't it be attributed in part by the new liberal gun laws?

Robert, you know I don't care for guns myself and never intend to own one, but I do support c&c laws because of the necessary training aspect. I'm just asking the questions because I find it an interesting topic.

RobertMarble 6 years, 1 month ago

hahaha Bea....you're grasping pretty hard for that straw...there are thousands of examples of citizens utilizing legal firearms for lawful defense purposes which result in saved lives. do the homework.

beatrice 6 years, 1 month ago

Robert, I'm not grasping at anything. I'd like an example of someone other than a security guard (your Colorado example) where a person with c&c who just happened to be at the scene stopped a killing spree / mass murderer in progress. You say such killing sprees all happen in gun-free zones, so show me the examples of them being stopped by a c&c holder when they didn't take place in a gun free zone.

Really not grasping, but asking for examples, because the one you provided simply doesn't fit the bill of the average c&c holder. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I can't think of a single instance when such a killing spree was stopped by a random c&c holder.

compmd 6 years, 1 month ago

This is a colossally bad idea. It goes to prove my point that once again, courtrooms here are for show and everyone is guilty. If the state is permitted a lethal weapon in the courtroom, a defendant already has the odds stacked against him. There isn't even an illusion of fairness or equality in the courtroom anymore when the prosecutor has the discretionary power to easily kill someone. In major metropolitan areas with much higher crime that our tiny little county, this isn't done. Why does Kansas feel the need to impose this outrageous law? Please keep in mind that I am a proponent of responsible firearm ownership and use, but this law is terrible.