Archive for Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Lt. Gov. says scientists, not politicians, will save environment

Lt. Gov. Mark Parkinson introduces himself to Saralyn Reece Hardy, director of the Spencer Museum of Art, after his talk on climate change Tuesday at Kansas University.

April 1, 2009

Parkinson discusses national policy, climate change

The man who would take over for Gov. Kathleen Sebelius stopped by Mount Oread on Tuesday. Enlarge video

Lt. Gov. Mark Parkinson is counting on scientists at Kansas University and elsewhere to solve the world’s global-warming problems.

That’s because government leaders, he figures, simply don’t have the knowledge, expertise or political will to get the job done.

“Everything that we have been doing to cure the climate change problem has been wrong, because what we have been doing is depending upon politicians — like me — when, in fact, the only real answer is in science,” Parkinson told about 150 students, faculty and others gathered Tuesday afternoon to hear him discuss “National Policy and Climate Change” at Spooner Hall on campus. “Politicians cannot solve this problem, but scientists can.”

Scientists need to continue their drive to create more efficient energy grids, searching for more efficient renewable energy sources and — yes — coming up with a new kind of zero-emission energy, one that doesn’t emit carbon or otherwise threaten the environment, he said.

But until then, he said, political leaders need to continue their push for encouraging conservation, spurring innovation and avoiding additions to the problem that shows few signs of abating in the decades ahead.

After his speech and a question-and-answer session, Parkinson deflected questions about his potential for becoming Kansas governor, should Gov. Kathleen Sebelius win Senate confirmation as President Barack Obama’s secretary of health and human services.

Sebelius has vowed to veto legislation that would permit construction of two coal-fired power plants in Holcomb, and Parkinson, on Tuesday, didn’t sound like the kind of guy who would veer from that stance should he move into the governor’s office.

“I don’t see a dramatic policy shift,” he said, while declining to discuss the specific legislation.

Parkinson said that he would prefer to see tax revenues generated by any “cap-and-trade” program be pumped into research-and-development efforts to create clean energy.

Comments

Danimal 6 years, 4 months ago

devobrun 6 years, 4 months ago

Here is another example of the general public confusing science and engineering.

Parkinson is wrong. Science will not create energy solutions. It will be be people who design and build solutions and those are called engineers.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 4 months ago

Face it politicians influenced by big oil special interest campaign contributions will certainly not fix any problems and oddly enough it seems that some powerful politicians are getting in the way. How do we clean up that mess?

The media has become a large part of the special interest takeover of our process as if they know what is best for all of us. Voters support this takeover by voting for those candidates who spend the most money and the question is why?

Campaigns go too long,spend way too much money and do not necessarily provide the best available. It is up to us to stop the nonsense at the voting booths. Replace 95% of all elected officials every 4 years for the house and every 6 years for the Senate.

Not voting sends the wrong message and changes nothing.

Lets’s demand a new system and vote in Fair Vote America : http://www.fairvote.org/irv/ Demand a change on the next ballot.

The big money candidates are more beholden than ever to corporate special interests due to the very long nature of campaigns. How do they have time to do the job they were elected to do?

We need public financing of campaigns. Citizens cannot afford special interest money campaigns for it is the citizens that get left out. Let citizens vote on this issue. http://www.publicampaign.org/

Who would be against Public Funding? The special interest money providers and their bought and paid for politicians!

In the meantime Lt. Gov. Parkinson is a refreshing voice coming from the repub side and also kind of a loner.

Union of Concerned Scienists have some thoughts on matters of interest: http://www.ucsusa.org/

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 4 months ago

"Danimal (Anonymous) says… Hmmm, scientists you say? I'm not sure they're to be trusted, what with their newfangled Jesus-hating ways and whatnot. Aren't they the ones that invented all the chemicals and polluting machines in the first place?"

Right, the very internet that you are using to type this nonsense is the creation of scientists. Not sure if "only-Jesus and nothing else" Christians like yourself, know the problem of human exploitation of religions for their personal gains.

jonas_opines 6 years, 4 months ago

"No, I am not obsessed with death, dying, disease or fear-mongering."

I just write a headline entitled "Pandemic May Kill 1/2 of World Population," and put a picture next to it of multiple human skulls.

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 4 months ago

"tumbilweed (Anonymous) says… If everything the politicians have been doing to save the environment has been wrong, then a politician suggesting that scientists are the cure would also be wrong...."

What you're saying is the administration of the research fund, and how the system works. Scientists are doing the right thing, but who gets the money is the problem. The right scientists may not get the money. If we don't put the money in the right place, then we won't get the right research done.

slickmick 6 years, 4 months ago

She blinded me... with science.

SCIENCE!

preebo 6 years, 4 months ago

Thank you, Fugu.

I was wondering why everyone who has a degree in Engineering has a B.S.

I thought the S stood for Science, but perhaps its...

...Sh!#. I could go either way.

In any event, this is refreshing to hear from a political leader, especially in Kansas. Environmental policy should ALWAYS be based on good science, rather than science being based on bad policy (see Kansas School Board and Evolution).

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 4 months ago

"Machiavelli_mania (Anonymous) says… It is kind of hard for the people in Lawrence to wrap their brains around this issue.

All money should be spent on science and scholasics in our schools. Athletics should be relegated to independent community support and not supported with our taxpayer dollars."

Yes! People simply have no ideas that science and engineering derive all the benefits of the economy, while the achievements are hijacked by the politicians, lawyers, and MBAs. The tractors that the farmers used to increase their yields come from the engineers who designed them, and the crop yields increase from better seeds and planting techniques are the tonnes and tonnes of research completed by scientists and implemented by engineers. The computers you are using now, so that we can argue about your philosophy and political ideas, come from the scientists back in the 1900s, and now become a reality because of the engineers. The satellite dish you have at home, the better insulation that save you energy, the ceiling fan, the electric lights, the airconditionings, the chair that you're sitting on right now (yes, that chair, it's no longer made of wood, but synthetic materials!), the table, the watch you're wearing, the diamond ring your wife is wearing, the radio that you're using..... All the products of scientific discoveries and engineering marvels.

What's wrong with scientists and engineers? Of course, they made bombs, they accidentally put toxic into the food chain... that's the administration and ethics problems. The politicians, economists, lawyers etc. hijacked the sciences and engineering products. GM falls because they concentrate too much on business and not engineering. They just want to sell cars, but they should concentrate on making good and relevant products. Scientists and engineers are underappreciated. Yes, we should teach more sciences and engineering in school.

BTW, don't call scientists and engineers Jesus-haters. The very microphone that your pastor is using, the A/C you're enjoying in the church, the chair you're sitting, and even the building you are occupying while listening to that pastor who have no ideas about science... are all the modern marvels of Science and engineering. Or you'd prefer to sit on the hills (under the temperature of 5F and in the snow), or you'd be rather riding a horse carriage and not drive to your church....

Thanks for labeling Scientists and Engineers as Jesus-Haters, and some of you who label them as Jesus-haters continue to use their creations every day... ironic huh?

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 4 months ago

Save the environment - what a pile of horse pucky.

verity 6 years, 4 months ago

I think you got your numbers wrong---we've still got 40,000 years before Wyoming blows.

supertrampofkansas 6 years, 4 months ago

Yeah but then the engineers will save us all by inventing a superduper sky vacuum cleaner that will suck up the ash baby!

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 4 months ago

"Liberty_One (Anonymous) says… Eh, none of it matters. I saw on the History Channel that a supervolcano is about to blow in Wyoming, and that we'll all be dead within 20 years anyway due to a “nuclear winter” effect from the volcano ash blocking the sunlight."

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 4 months ago

ArumerZwarteHoop said "Science and technology are the cause of and solution to all our problems. This pattern will culminate in a spectacular global disaster."

And you know this how? Perhaps it will culminate in glorious Star Trek world. Don't you ever watch TV?

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 4 months ago

ArumerZwarteHoop said “Science and technology are the cause of and solution to all our problems. This pattern will culminate in a spectacular global disaster.”

Apparently, you ain't using the computer to type this, are you? Or you wake up from the noise of the alarm clock and not your cock? Maybe you ride the horse to go grocery shopping and not your car or SUV? Wow. Blaming science and technology for everything, but using it yourself.

"Mr_Nancy_Boy_To_You (Tom Shewmon) says… Which category does Al Gore fall under? He's a politician, yet his cult followers claim he's essentially a scientist. I guess he's both? Well, he's the man for the job!"

Nice. Apparently, you're the one who is confused. Those who awarded him the nobel prize have clear heads.

ReadingSports 6 years, 4 months ago

Livingstone, It's still so shocking to me how people literally pick some information out from one place, and assume everything is exactly like that. That's how some Christians read the bible, and nothing else. The world exists long before the bible exists. Marriage exists long before bible, and science exists long before bible.

"The world exists long before the bible exists." Wouldn't it be "The world existed long before the Bible existed."?

Liberty_One (Anonymous) says… livingstone has no sense of humor. Yea, and his grammar and Reading comprehension are somewhat lacking also.

"It's still so shocking to me how people literally pick some information out from one place, and assume everything is exactly like that." Yup! Kind of like you did? Huh.

Eye meet log. Log meet Eye. Might want to remove that.

ReadingSports 6 years, 4 months ago

I want to know does the volcano have a big 'S' on it? Is it faster than a speeding bullet? More powerful than a locamotive?

If not, then I don't think it's SuperVolcano at all. Besides if it hurts people then wouldn't it be more like an evil villian volcano? Like Vex Vurcanoe, or something. And wouldn't it be a "Volcano Winter" and not a "Nuclear Winter"?

Doesn't sound so scientific to me. :-)

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 4 months ago

"Liberty_One (Anonymous) says… livingstone has no sense of humor."

Yeap, I'm one of the knucklehead scientists..... numbers are my language, formula are my codes, and equations are my way of expressions. :P

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 4 months ago

"ReadingSports (Anonymous) says… Livingstone, livingstone has no sense of humor. Yea, and his grammar and Reading comprehension are somewhat lacking also.

You know if you're going to slam Christians then you might actually be sure that the person you're talking about in the first place actually is a Christian. (And I'm pretty sure everyone else got the joke but you.)"

For sure. I find it hard to understand and write simple English and jokes. My life is wrapped around numbers, equations, and formulas. :P

But I want you to know, I sense your humor, and is aware that someone is doubting the trinity doctrine. My writing speed accentuate my carelessness, and most importantly, the lack of humor and language skills. But I'm flattered that you didn't understand the jocularity of my postings.

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 4 months ago

"Machiavelli_mania (Anonymous) says… Well,Livingstone, I believe all science professions should be paid far more than some funky business admin person or CEO, for I just don't see them producing anything at all. Parasites, one and all, in the business and banking world."

Good products sell themselves. I rarely see any nice Toyota and Honda advertisements, but often amazed by the quality of GM, Ford and Chrysler advertisements. If GM has to throw away Honda and Toyota in their advertisements, I bet they have lost their engineering capabilities. What's the real problem behind GM, Ford and Chrysler? Just like you said, they don't appreciate their engineers as much as their marketing executives and CEO. It's time to give more power to the engineers, designers, and those professions that make the products great.

ReadingSports 6 years, 4 months ago

Yeap, I'm one of the knucklehead scientists.

Aww, don't be so hard on yourself. Clueless maybe, but I don't think you're a knucklehead.

Oh, and since you are a bigshot scientist, you should know that about Charles Babbage, who is "considered a "father of the computer" Babbage is credited with inventing the first mechanical computer that eventually led to more complex designs." (Wikipedia) which dates back to 1822. That's 1800's not 1900's.

And there devices that are even older than that, some of which date back to the 2nd and 1st century B.C. So computing is a problem that men have been trying to solve for a long time.

Danimal 6 years, 4 months ago

"livingstone (Anonymous) says…

You know if you're going to slam Christians then you might actually be sure that the person you're talking about in the first place actually is a Christian."

Funny that you should say that livingstone, because from your post in response to my lighthearted nonsense:

"Right, the very internet that you are using to type this nonsense is the creation of scientists. Not sure if “only-Jesus and nothing else” Christians like yourself, know the problem of human exploitation of religions for their personal gains."

I would have thought that you were the one that isn't a Christian. The hilarity of it is that you're a horrible hypocrite, sniping at me and assuming that I'm some Evangelical Christian, and then later trying to play the part of the wounded fawn. And by the way, you do have a horrible sense of humor. pretty sure that everyone else picked up the sarcasm in my post at the top.

ReadingSports 6 years, 4 months ago

My writing speed accentuate my carelessness.

Try proof reading... If the edit box that you write into on the site is difficult, then you can always write in a word processor and copy and paste. You won't sound like such a dufus!

And maybe you'll start making sense.

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 4 months ago

"ReadingSports (Anonymous) says… Yeap, I'm one of the knucklehead scientists.

Oh, and since you are a bigshot scientist, you should know that about Charles Babbage, who is “considered a “father o....."

I think you should learn something in life... eat the humble pie. However, I prefer to reserve my writing "capability" for my papers. You know, this is a forum, and not even a national forum. Your standard seems a little too high over here.

This "clueless" scientist, who doesn't know as much as you do, probably can give you a small piece of advice. You probably think that a few statements in this forum provide all the answers. Nope. Life isn't that simple. Computing is a problem that men try to solve for a long time. Many civilizations solve the problem and computers were developed. These computers just ain't registered in the history of Western Civilization, or they have destroyed these "computers". Electronic computers came into the picture when other pieces of the technology were discovered. The electronic computers you see today come from multi-disciplinary scientific discoveries. The mathematical piece that gives the binomial function (10101010) (Mathematics), the electronic piece that transfers information via electricity (electrical engineering), the solders that are needed to join two tiny pieces of wire together (material engineering), the fiber optic that is needed to wire the entire system together (fiber optic engineering), the plastics that makes the board light enough to be transported (plastic engineering), the electrons that are shot on your screen that make the solutions visible to your eyes (electronic engineering that comes with the invention of tubes that transmit energy) etc.... you could probably trace all these technologies to millions of scientists.

The binomial piece of the "computer" that you are talking about has already been solved few thousand years ago. My honest comment to you? Eat your humble pie. Sincerely, a clueless scientist.

ReadingSports 6 years, 4 months ago

Confusion Reigns!!!! Ba-wah-wah-ha-ha.

My work here is done!

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 4 months ago

"Danimal (Anonymous) says… You know if you're going to slam Christians then you might actually be sure that the person you're talking about in the first place actually is a Christian.”

F....ypocrite, sniping at me and assuming that I'm some Evangelical Christian, and then later trying to play the part of the wounded fawn. And by the way, you do have a horrible sense of humor. pretty sure that everyone else picked up the sarcasm in my post at the top."

I get this from someone: To speak from the heart makes one the least hypocrite of all. To be a hypocrite, one must fear the Lord so much that he is so afraid to go to hell.

First, I didn't assume that you're an evangelical Christian. They probably are far nicer than yourself. Second, I'm a Christian myself but the use of religion on science disgusts a lot of scientists. Again, you really need some good training on English comprehension. Maybe you should spent sometime re-read my posting. I meant more good than bad.

It's not my job to train you how to read my posting. It's your job to understand. A person who has strong language skills should comprehend even the worst writings. People who proclaim themselves to be the expert of English should understand English with heavy accents or read broken English. That's my philosophy. Great scientists are those scientists who can under good or bad sciences. Good businessmen are those who can different good and bad businesses. The change begins with you. I did mine.

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 4 months ago

"ReadingSports (Anonymous) says… Confusion Reigns!!!! Ba-wah-wah-ha-ha.

My work here is done!

(Oh yes, one parting shot. You do know that Al Gore invented the internet, the medium that we're using to communicate, right?)"

Again, you like to make assumptions that all Scientists are liberal and believe that Al Gore invented the internet, and all scientists agree that Al Gore should win the Nobel Prize. Glad that your work is done here.

Be assure to update your knowledge in science by reading books published by scientists and not by historians.

ReadingSports,

Just one more thing to make your night a bad one. This are two things that many conservatives should really learn, first, stereotyping (never assume all scientists are liberals and all sciences are on climate change), second, try to be more aware that you're imposing on the others your ideologies. The sad thing is many conservatives don't even realize that the latter happens!

ReadingSports 6 years, 4 months ago

binomial function (10101010) No such thing as a binomial function. There's a theorem, a distribution, a coefficient, and a series. Er, don't you mean binary number? So what does 170 have to do with anything? I know in Hexadecimal it's AA, which of course stands for alcoholics anonymous, say aren't you late?

"millions of scientists." Actually Billions and Billions, but wouldn't they be engineers and not scientists?

"However, I prefer to reserve my writing “capability” for my papers. " Hope you use an editor, hope you're nice to them and not a totally arrogant jerk. Not that you would be. :-)

And I hope that you apply a better standard of quality and attention to detail to your "research" and "papers" than you have here. And that is my final parting shot.

Danimal 6 years, 4 months ago

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 4 months ago

ReadingSports, I thought you were long gone. I'm appalled by your sense of humor and your care for details (that doesn't really matters). Yeap, you're right binary code, not binomial function (latter is a statistical method). Right, engineers, maybe not scientists. I'm an arrogant jerk for those who deserved to be treated like that. I don't spent time writing this.... I hope I've made your night, and really hope this is the last posting I will see from you. Good night and sleep tight.

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 4 months ago

"Danimal (Anonymous) says… Wow livingstone, way to horribly mangle my post to make it look like my quotation of you was actually what I said. Have fun though, there's clearly no reaching you so I'm done with this."

I hope this is really the last post of your life in here. Cheers, at least I just got rid of you. That's the only way to get rid of those who don't really matter and don't contribute positively to the real world. Good night, and hope you'll have a sleepless night.