Letters to the Editor

Offensive chant

September 28, 2008

To the editor:

"Rock Chalk, Jay-Hawk, KU!" Now that's a chant I can be proud of. Unfortunately there is another chant coming from the Kansas University student section during football games that is not only an embarrassment to our fans but completely inappropriate for young children to hear.

I have a son attending KU. We have season tickets for the home games. At every KU kickoff, this chant can be heard. I can't tell you the exact chant in this column, but I can tell you it is violent and obscene. The video can also be seen on youtube.com.

I have found out that although KU officials have asked students to stop, they have no way of enforcing any actions against free speech. Many of us have been in other stadiums (say to the east) and have heard similar chants and we left those games thinking those fans had no class.

I would ask the KU student section to please reword that chant and to remember that being a student at KU is an honor with many years of excellence behind it. I'd also ask our community to speak up. I'm all for the healthy, competitive ribbing our fans have traditionally brought to sports. Our Jayhawks deserve nothing less.

Julie Nice,
Lawrence

Comments

Kent Fisher 6 years, 11 months ago

Funny how the adminstation fought the "Muck Fizzou" shirt, but won't ask the fans to cease this "Rip his F*#@ing head off" chant played whenever KU kicks off to their opponent. Remember when Coach Brown, or Coach Williams would ask the crowd to refrain from inappropirate chants? It was very effective, and the crowd honored their request. Let's get Mangino to do the same.

Confrontation 6 years, 11 months ago

I agree that this chant is stupid. However, if you expect your kids to learn grace and manners from a crowd of drunk football fans, then you're a bad parent.

bad_dog 6 years, 11 months ago

I guess I forgot we'd have to talk to the Hawks defense and get their agreement to stay out of the end zone as well...

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 11 months ago

We've empowered the word.We've fostered the immaturity(among both fans and players).We've promoted the context.Parking $10.( kids free )

TheOriginalCA 6 years, 11 months ago

Solomon, that was an awesome post and it has a lot of merit. I remember when Larry Brown was BBall coach he would toss an autographed shirt into the student section as a reward for good sportsmanlike behavior. Vulgarity has long been a staple of fun among large crowd of college kids. They are still going through the mentoring process and the administration needs to set good examples and reward them just like any other youngster. I am not saying that we need to baby them but this is their first time away from home for most of them. Let's set expectations and reward them. And YES, let's remove ANYONE from the stadium for obscene language. Once a first few are removed, the example and precedent will be set and improvments will hopefully follow.

Strontius 6 years, 11 months ago

Yes, KU has SUCH high standards. Get a 2.0 in High School and you're automatically accepted. I have a hard time believing that this is the first incident in KU's history where something "obscene" has been uttered at a sporting event.What are you going to do? Throw out hundreds of students who might have been drinking that morning before the game? Yeah, that's not a recipe for disaster at all. If you aren't comfortable being subjected to the cheers and chants of the common clay, then watch the game on television. You're simply not going to be able to regulate speech amongst hundreds, if not thousands of students. I'm glad that we've solved all the worlds problems so we can complain about hearing the "F" word in public. Seems to me, the students who use the chant have as much growing up to do as the people offended by it.

lawrencechick 6 years, 11 months ago

We all could have come up with stupid,obscene chants when we were at KU, but then we realized that we had already graduated from Junior High. Unfortunetly, this generation will never grow up because they have been babied all there lives.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm not saying there isn't a time and place for the F bomb, such as when I stub my toe really bad, but this just seems childish. I agree that Mangino should step up and tell them to knock it off. Now if I see you at Target and you spill Starbucks on your new Joe College shirt and you let one fly, well I'll just cringe, hope my 4 year old missed it, and head to the Pampers.

gl0ckUser 6 years, 11 months ago

myopinion 6 years, 11 months ago

I also heard this chant at the last home football game, and I was shocked at the language. I have been told that this has been going on for some time now, but that the number of students chanting it has increased this year until everyone in the stadium hears it, including the young children who are being taught to look up to KU as an institution with class. I don't think there is any room for the F word within the definition of class. When young children hear an entire section of students shouting such language, it condones this, and evidently, so does KU. Pathetic.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 11 months ago

I just think that if Mangino holds himself to a higher level of morals and conduct then maybe he'll be the role model for the students. I'm not saying the F bomb won't be said ever at the game. Especially when someone drops nacho cheese on their new Adidas shoes. But show that this isn't how we want to represent the school and maybe the students will agree it's a silly chant. Save the F bombs for critical moments, such as seeing the line at the restroom after 4 Dr. Peppers.

Danimal 6 years, 11 months ago

I started at KU as a 23 year old freshmen in the fall of 2005 after 5 years in the Marines. The chant was already going then and I thought that it was disgusting, low-brow and incredibly immature. I think that anyone who yells obscenities should be removed from the venue. If the entire student section has to be thrown out, so be it. These kids are supposed to be the best our state has to offer from their generation and should be held to that standard. I don't care how much money their parents have or who their dads are, inappropriate behavior is just that and should be dealt with accordingly.

bad_dog 6 years, 11 months ago

Perhaps we should ask the offense to stop scoring touchdowns and kicking field goals. That would eliminate all but one opportunity for the chant; the opening or second half kickoffs ;-)

penguin 6 years, 11 months ago

There is no way that people will/should get kicked out for saying what another terms obscene. The question then becomes is it just limited to this chant? What obscene words warrant an objection? What do we do when a similar chant develops and offends others? It's a policy that creates a never ending headache for security and other stadium workers. As for other coaches who have stepped in...I have only heard mention of basketball coaches. Why might that be? Maybe because it is easier to lecture to a crowd of 16,300 than 50,000+. I also know for a fact that one of the coaches mentioned as an example for all happened to use some pretty foul language on National TV after a loss in the 2003 Nat'l Championship game.Also the other reason why basketball have their coaches condemn bad sportsmanship/swearing and football cannot (at least at KU) is that high home attendance is relatively new. If someone gets angry for getting kicked out of Allen and vows never to go back there are many to replace them. This is not the same at Memorial Stadium. If they start kicking out all the students than not only do you kill revenue in the present, but in the future when they are all alums. In addition, you would eventually put the hurt on other non-revenue sports that can see additional funds as football brings in less money and doles out more because of lack of attendance.Is the chant silly? yes. Should a new one come about? probably so. Do we really need to worry what is said at a football game? I would argue that there are worse problems in the world. The only way to keep the precious young ears away from that word is to put the kid in a bubble.

oldvet 6 years, 11 months ago

If you want it to go away, ignore it... eventually they will tire of it and you won't hear it any more... keep making a big deal of it and you will hear it for a long time...Anybody remember ATAP shirts or the POPP buttons?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 11 months ago

When my kids came of age, we addressed all the bad words for what they truly are. Demystified and disempowered, those words ceased even to be... relevant.

Julia Rose-Weston 6 years, 11 months ago

Folks, it comes down to values created by society. It sounds like this society disapproves of the chant. If society ignores it, it appears acceptable and the new behavior will be taught to the next generation, the kids at the game. We get what we expect! If you don't expect much, you ain't gonna get much. Another way society can deal with it: don't buy tickets to the games.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 11 months ago

It's growing pains, guys.When we disempower the word, it-along with all the others-will berecognized for what it truly is... a rather lame, minimally communicative,single-syllable utterance.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

Original-bob to wife [british accent]: "Bloody hell! Please forgive me good woman, I will forthwith abstain from such crude and vulgar utterances!"***I was wondering, the way you TOB, and Guardian wrote, were the lights at the stadium gas, or them new fangled arclights hooked up to electricity?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 11 months ago

Americans... preoccupied with fluff... blind to what matters.( maybe the first word, above, should be "humans" )

Deja Coffin 6 years, 11 months ago

Guardian, if I can take this little moment to brag.... the first two-word phrase that my 1 year old learned is Thank-you. And it is the cutest thing ever!! Now if I can just get her to say, "love you!" So there's still a few of us out here trying to raise polite kids.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 11 months ago

I hope so. Right now the new one is Kiki meoow (kitty meow). And then I have a 4 year old who is nothing but honesty. She heard her dad say the "S" the other day. Her response was, "momma, daddy said st, he's not supposed to say st, st is a bad word, daddy, please don't say st anymore!" So you know, we try.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 11 months ago

No one ever dropped the F bomb in public when I was growing up. Fast-forward 40 years. The F word is more commonly used in public than Thank you. Hmmmm! I wonder why??!!

TS20twenty 6 years, 11 months ago

Well said, penguin...now let's see what the joker and riddler have to say. ¿ ?