Letters to the Editor

President’s power

September 26, 2008

To the editor:

Michele Dillon, although her heart is in the right place, needs some education about how our government works (Public Forum, Sept. 20). She says, "The president has nothing to do with Roe vs. Wade." He has more ability to overturn Roe vs. Wade than any single person. The president nominates the Supreme Court justices. The only way to overturn Roe vs. Wade is by changing the court justices.

The justices are assigned for life. They are in office until they die or retire. Any other decision by the president can be reversed in four years or less by electing a different president, but the justices are in there for decades.

Dianne Hofmann,
Lawrence

Comments

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 1 month ago

"He (the president) has more ability to overturn Roe vs. Wade than any single person. "Yes, which is exactly why we must elect pro-life women and men to the executive branch.

slang4d 6 years, 1 month ago

"They want a secular America" The majority of the people in this country want a secular America. Freedom of religion and freedom FROM religion. Many of our founding fathers were deist or agnostic, I'm pretty sure they wanted a secular America as well.

slang4d 6 years, 1 month ago

Six of the Justices are beyond retirement age: John Paul Stevens- 88 years oldAtonin Scalia- 72 years oldAnthony Kennedy- 72 years oldDavid Souter-69 years old Ruth Bader Ginsberg- 75 years oldStephen Breyer- 70 years oldThis isn't "driving" the election, but it's something to be taken into consideration.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 1 month ago

Who's injecting religion into the abortion debate, Mr. Gentry, other than you?Also, saying that pro-lifers should "slink back" to their "fundamentalist compound" while simultaneously claiming, "I believe in tolerance," are wholly irreconcilable. But that's typical of liberals who simultaneously preach tolerance and hate.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 1 month ago

"How about you pro-lifers slink back under the fundamentalist compound you crawled out from under and pray away the days?" - Clint GentryTolerance, Mr. Gentry, tolerance. Don't you know that tolerance is the great rallying call of the far left, of which you are a member? Actually, you may not be aware of the hypocrisy, double standard and paradox of your hate-filled statement...

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 1 month ago

Tom: "This is actually driving this election...."Tom, don't confuse your rhetoric with the election.

Confrontation 6 years, 1 month ago

The problem with Christianity is that, no matter what your religion teaches you, most of you still choose to judge others and try to force them to believe what you believe. Hypocrites, as usual.

Janet Cinelli 6 years, 1 month ago

As a Hillary supporter, I struggled for whom I should vote. Obama has won out in my decision solely because of the SC. And, Tom, it isn't only because of RoevWade. It has to do with personal freedoms and gun control just as much as abortion. But even more importantly, I believe the country is best served when there is some tussling at the SC. If John McCain is elected, by the end of his term every single member (assuming expected retirements) of the SC will have been choosen by Republicans, given that would be Reagan, Bush, Bush & McCain who choose them, we would have an extremely conservative, single-minded court. I don't believe that is good for the country at the SC level or at legislative level either. So, for me, Tom is right, the SC is driving the election, but not for the reasons Tom thinks.

David Omar 6 years, 1 month ago

I don't know what Shewmon means by Muslims staying as they are, and even though I am a republican, I think that a person should have the right to choose for themselves on issues like abortion. I would never support someone to have it nor would I permit my family to have one, if I had the ability, but the right rests with the individual. Some people believe that life doesn't begin until birth, some at conception, some at the first tri-mester. I don't know, I am not a scientist or theologian. Each person should examine their own hearts and souls to make that choice. It is a tough one, I am sure, but no one should abort a child without the deep introspection. And, by the way, that is what the law says.

kansas778 6 years, 1 month ago

Janet Cinelli (Janet Cinelli) says: So, for me, Tom is right, the SC is driving the election, but not for the reasons Tom thinks.******Riiiight. Abortion isn't that big of an issue to people is it? I'm sure how the Supreme Court will rule on zoning laws and personal jurisdiction issues is the driving force behind this election.

jmadison 6 years, 1 month ago

Justices should be apolitical and decide cases based solely on the law.

denak 6 years, 1 month ago

The President does nominate a judge for the Supreme Court but it is the Senate that CONFIRMS the nominee.Just because a president nominates someone does not mean that they automatically become a Supreme Court justice. The Senate has the power to blow a nomination right out of the water. ( remember Robert Bork or Harriet Mier) A nomination isn't an automatic appointment.As for Roe v Wade, even if it was overturned, it does not mean that abortion is illegal. It means that abortion would no longer be considered a fundamental right protected by the Constitution.If Roe v Wade was overturned, the issue would be thrown back to the states as mandated by the 10 Amendment and each state would then have the right to determine whether not abortion would be legal or illegal, under what situations and with what restrictions.Some states would make abortion illegal but most states would keep abortion legal with various restrictions depending on circumstances.Dena