Letters to the Editor

Hill hoodlums

September 25, 2008

To the editor:

Saturday, Sept. 20, started out being a great day for tailgating on the hill at Kansas University. Sad to say, it didn't end up that way. Just when did the hill become a playground for preteens as the parents were watching the game inside the stadium? There were groups of children all over the hill after the KU game started with no adult supervision in sight.

Many thoughtless acts of vandalism have happened during the games this year. KU flags are being taken from tents; chairs and tables have been tossed around "just for fun;" and tailgating trailers are getting damaged, to name a few. When the children are confronted, they are mouthy, rude and disrespectful to the adults whose property they are destroying or stealing.

Security seems to be stretched to the limit, and I'm sure they are not paid to be baby sitters. Going to a football game in Lawrence is a fun activity to do with your children. It is the bratty few that make a bad name for all. Something needs to be done now before the privilege we now have to tailgate on the hill is taken away. We will always support the KU football team and will continue to enjoy tailgating on the hill before every game. Go Jayhawks!

Barbara Dolifka,
Lawrence

Comments

craigers 6 years, 3 months ago

consumer1, mine is a Browning Hi-power but they don't stay around to see. A pitbull would be nice but I don't want to risk it with my kids. Oh well.

mom_of_three 6 years, 3 months ago

How do you know that these kids' parents were at the game, and just didn't show up from the neighborhood? still bad behavior, but you don't know where the kids came from.

SMe 6 years, 3 months ago

"Teach your children well" doesn't apply anymore!

cds 6 years, 3 months ago

spacehog (Anonymous) says: If Lew and Jim would hand out $20 bills to these kids I bet they would behave.____And spoil them even more, yeah, thats exactly what we need to do...

Trobs 6 years, 3 months ago

Concealed carry law. What a great law!Kids aren't nearly as willing to break your stuff when you are armed.

craigers 6 years, 3 months ago

On two occasions I have had teens come and pound on my door and ring the doorbell at either 3:30am or 5am. When I opened the door as they were coming up to do it again, they ran like girls. My question is the same as this letter writer, what the heck are parents doing anymore. Teach your kid some manners before they mess with the wrong people or home.

alobos9 6 years, 3 months ago

The only hoodlums I know at KU are the members of the basketball team....specially since I found out that they jumped two football players recently. Those twins and Collins are BAD news!

StreetView 6 years, 3 months ago

"Spare the Rod,Spoil the Child" Vote to bring back limited chilb abuse

Confrontation 6 years, 3 months ago

Lock up their parents. Obviously, they are idiots who shouldn't have been allowed to have children. Also, a large pitt or rott darting out your door as those idiot children ring your doorbell, is a great way to give them a taste of what they really need.

cthulhu_4_president 6 years, 3 months ago

Could you be more specific about your allegation, alobos9? One of my jobs is within the athletic department and I have not heard of this event, especially given the close-knit nature of the student-athletes, across all sports.

StreetView 6 years, 3 months ago

"Spare the Rod,Spoil the Child" Vote to bring back limited child abuse

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 3 months ago

Maybe these kids don't belong at the game. It sounds like they aren't into football as much as their parents are.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 3 months ago

Kids these days, in my day we didn't even have a hill, only the really rich people had a hill. Now these kids expect hills to fall out of the sky and kiss their behinds. I blame it on that Elvis Presley boy a moving around like a wild man, gives people ideas they shouldn't have. Dang blasted kids.

tvc 6 years, 3 months ago

Beating and threatening to kill children! Aren't you all grand!

craigers 6 years, 3 months ago

tvs, nobody is threatening to kill children for ringing the doorbell or pounding on my front door. However, if they are seeing if I am home and if I don't answer try to break in, then I don't care who you are. The safety of me and my family will always come before some stranger breaking in. I advocate taking care of my home and family and if that means showing up at my door at 3 or 5 in the morning to greet idiots with my gun in hand then so be it. You might find what we are saying as horrible, but for me once is "kids will be kids". You keep doing it, it is harassment and establishes a pattern meaning who knows what they will do next. You want to pull a prank that is fine, let me know what your address is and I will send them there.