Letters to the Editor

Global issue

September 25, 2008

To the editor:

Those who believe global warming is not the result of human activity need a wake-up call. The opinions of numerous climate researchers and scientists worldwide indicate that it is indeed the human population that is causing a drastic change in the climate. Global warming is a threat to the environment and everything it entails. A drought could shrivel an entire year's crops for a population of cattle and humans.

A recent Associated Press article reported that seven Western states and four Canadian provinces have proposed a plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from power plants, manufacturers and vehicles. The proposed plan is aiming at the goal of reducing carbon emissions 15 percent by 2020. The plan was drafted by Arizona, California, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah and Washington.

As individuals, we can each take part in reducing global warming, but as a whole we can be more effective. The state of Kansas needs to propose a plan that will enable its residents to be active with this issue. What we need to ask ourselves is: Will doing nothing now harm us more later? Kansas has a huge potential for wind energy, but so far not much has been done. That is why we need our leaders to take action not later, but now.

Bridget Lavaveshkul,
Lawrence

Comments

devobrun 6 years, 2 months ago

Isn't it ironic that the hippie view of things is the easiest to manipulate via public relations?I thought that free-thinkers were doin' their own thing and not bein' manipulated by "the man".But here we are in the 21st century and its the hippies and liberals comin' down on regular people with guilt trips about, well, just bein' alive. The machine is pumpin' out propaganda that is validated by the number of people that believe in it. It isn't the quality of the science, nor the level of testing. Nope, anthropogenic global warming is true because lots of people say it is true.Reminds me of the attitude of the fat men in black horned-rim glasses in 1965 regarding African-Americans, and women, and homosexuals, and......Its true because we say it is. It is true because we read it from the wise people.The world has turned upside-down.

kansas778 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm reading a book called "Good Calories, Bad Calories" that talks about how bad science gets pushed on the public, and the same thing has happened with AGW. The book talks about how, with very little evidence, a low-fat, high-carb diet has been thrust on the public because doctors thought that if there was a chance it was true, they should recommend it. Now science has shown that this diet increases the chances of getting diabetes, cancer, and heart disease, but because it's been recommended for so long by doctors, taught in schools, appeared in newspapers and magazines, and recommended by the government, it's ingrained in our society. People automatically believe that a low-fat diet is good for you, and any doctor or scientist that says differently is shouted down. AGW is the same thing. The evidence isn't conclusive, and some scientists disagree, but because of the chance that it might be true, people recommend vast changes in our society that could be disasterous.

kansas778 6 years, 2 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says: the almost unanimous consensus of climate scientists...*******Care to give any numbers to back this up?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 2 months ago

"I love the ubiqutious "the opinions of numerous climate researchers and scientists," that those who tout man-made global warming spew."And I love it when those ideologically opposed to the facts of global climate change ignore the almost unanimous consensus of climate scientists in order to assert positions they find more ideologically palatable.

labmonkey 6 years, 2 months ago

I love the ubiqutious "the opinions of numerous climate researchers and scientists," that those who tout man-made global warming spew. Do they ever look up primary literature (actual scientific articles) or history (read "In the Wake of the Plague" by Norman F. Cantor for a quick, easy read) themselves, or do they just rely on what they read in the media? Barbara needs to read something besides AP releases before writing LTE's. Liberals and Conservatives have the same mental processes when it comes to wanting to control other's lives. Conservatives use religion and liberals use global warming (or some other red button issue of the day). And as many of the televangelists and priests are hypocrites, so are the liberal leaders preaching change. If it was a real problem, they would use Al Gore's internet to have video conferences around the world instead of flying their jets to Bali, which put thousands of tons of carbon in the air. (And when you look at their private residences, whose is more "green," Gore's or George w. Bush's?) One example of the idiocy that has sprung from the whole global warming thing are those low energy bulbs. I have enough of a science background and common sense to know that mercury in the ground (when these bulbs are disposed of) is bad whereas the book is still out about MAN-MADE global warming. People should not need HAZMAT training to dispose of their light bulbs. Looking at the history of the last millenium (most of which is unindustrialized), one can see a cyclic pattern to the climate. Lets not jump the gun in making hasty energy policy that can cripple our already battered economy. Wind and solar power are good things and should continue to be implemented, but lets not kick clean coal or nuclear energy out either. What I fear is that if we become too strict on energy, energy companies will start building power plants in Mexico where there is little regulation and send power to the US via the grid.

Confrontation 6 years, 2 months ago

Don't worry. Palin will let her witch-hunting pastor fix the environment. He'll pray over her and ask "Jesus" for a cure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0utkTp7DTw

rtwngr 6 years, 2 months ago

If you had done any research on global warming yourself instead of citing AP articles you would understand how obtuse your letter sounds. I am fully in favor of utilizing more renewable energy resources but not for the sake of "man made global warming". I would cite some scientific articles and research data for you to refer to but none of it is AP so I will not waste my time.

Hannah Guthland 6 years, 2 months ago

I completely agree that we should be good stewards of the places we choose to live, but I don't want my government legislating what consists of being a good steward. I think as citizens we should take a greater level of responsibility. I personally think it's ridiculous for me to drive my 3 mile commute into work everyday...I have two legs and can walk or ride a bike. However, I don't think that same logic applies to my 60 yr old mother that needs a knee replacement. Do you see how easily we could begin hurting people by forcing them to do what's right by our standards? It's the same thing that has been going on with homosexual marriage until very recently. A small highly vocal sect of the population believes same sex marriage to be wrong so they force the rest of the country to follow their belief system by making it illegal. It's a loose comparison, but all I'm saying is it's a slippery slope when you begin forcing people to do what is right by your standards.I think your heart is in the right place though - keep on going "green" you are on the right track!

Gary Sandell 6 years, 2 months ago

A quote from the North Dakota State Historical Society:"Before Euro-American settlement of the Northern Plains began in the 19th Century, the land had been occupied for many centuries. Archeological investigations document the presence of big game hunting cultures after the retreat of the continental glaciers about 10,000 years ago". I quote this notation because I have to wonder how if, according to Bridget and the "numerous climate researchers and scientists," global warming is the product of "human activity", then what in the hell caused the contnental glaciers to retreat or "melt". It sure wasn't human activity that caused it! So was it a natural occurance and wasn't the out-come a good thing? Heck, Maybe God did it so these morons would have a nice warm place to live.

labmonkey 6 years, 2 months ago

Bozo- I seriously doubt you have read any primary literature on the subject. Even reading some simple history would tell you that climate change is more than likely cyclic. There is no consensus....just a lie about one comming from those ideologically opposed to common sense. Like I said, conservatives try to run your life via religion, liberals (probably using the same thought mechanisms) use a hot button issue.