Letters to the Editor

Try the T

September 24, 2008

To the editor:

I recently retired from a full-time job in Topeka, where I participated in a van pool program for commuters. Upon securing part-time employment in downtown Lawrence, I considered my options for getting to and from work and was pleased to discover that a city bus line ran within a couple blocks of my home.

For several months now, I have ridden the bus to work and have been very happy with the service. The bus always arrives on time and the drivers are unfailingly friendly and helpful, especially to those first-time riders who are just a little unsure how it works. I've noted that when a rider needs to transfer to another bus to reach their destination, the driver will call to the transfer bus and let them know he has a passenger for them.

It is just a delight to alight from the bus downtown with no worries about parking, plugging the meter, etc. And, of course, the financial savings are considerable. So, to those of you who have thought about riding the bus but haven't, I say, "Try it - you'll like it!"

Dee Boeck,
Lawrence

Comments

Xwards 5 years, 7 months ago

People on this board seem to concerned about the T not paying for itself. When was the last time the city streets and public parking lots paid for themselves?

Andrew Stahmer 5 years, 7 months ago

I think The Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center can offer some counseling or maybe even drugs to treat all of this hysteric paranoia. Check it out 843-9192. Now if the fact that the bus runs right near there might push you over the edge, give Headquarters a call and they might be able to get you through that crisis. The bus can be our friend..not the doomsday-end of the world-Apocalypse mobile. Deep breaths, deep breaths, count to route #301...sorry couldn't resist.

Larry_The_Moocher 5 years, 7 months ago

I am not against public transportation or a bus service in Lawrence. I am against funding something that the population base of this town can not support! If there were 150K people here I would be all for it. I fully understand that public transportation as well as other things like public golf courses usually do not support themselves. I am a practical person. The how ever many millions that are spent on the system as a whole... payroll, maintenance, facilities, etc, far exceeds its practically. Now the selfish 2% or so of you that whine for someone else to pay more of your bills should be ashamed.Has your narrow view of your neighbors included those single moms with 3 jobs doing her best to enjoy the American dream? How about the rest of the working class of folks?It appears that those in these forums blog about needing assistance, when their time could be used much better say, seeking better employment, or employment in general.Looks like many of you want a free ride to the SRS, to see what else you can get for free.The additional sales tax stands to only hurt local business. I see today that some idiot wants to help the school bus system to loose their contract the next time it comes up for bid by unionizing. These people did not attend the school of economics many of the rest of us have. Have it your way... twist the ridership numbers, duplicate effort, and swallow everything the city tells you... then wonder and whine why there is no place to shop or eat and why your rent has increased.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm with Larry the Moocher. Dee how's bout paying more for the T? I still want to know what is going to happen to the current property taxes being used for the T? Won't they still continue as well on top of any new sales tax?Hard Rock Hotel and Casino will get more of Lawrence $$$$. Go Hard Rock , go Jayhawk, go vote No the T.No Dee, No T.

Confrontation 5 years, 7 months ago

You see, Dee, that these people who complain about it would never ride it. It's so far beneath them. They think that they'll never have a need or be in a desperate situation. They'd rather drive their gas-hogging SUVs around town to show their wealth and wastfulness. If people didn't have the bus, and they lost their jobs, then these same complainers would complain about the rise in welfare payments within the city of Lawrence. You can't make these people happy, since they are blessed with money and tend to lack a conscience.

Andrew Stahmer 5 years, 7 months ago

Yes, it is true. Every single one of us bus riders is out to get you! You might even have noticed our numbers are increasing...we've gained control of the Journal World..you noticed there have been very few to no letters to the editor complaining about The T, and only articles falsely inflating ridership numbers. We have also been sucessful at squelching any comment against The T at city commission meetings. The city commissioners are in our back pocket. This is the only place all of you against The T can safely congregate (oh, and don't you worry..we're working on this too.) Watch your back, The T supporters are all around you. Eventually we will find you...and you will be dealt with. There is no place to hide.(to other T supporters: the large donkey waits under the oak tree outside the grass hut. -wink-)

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 7 months ago

"It is just a delight to alight from the bus downtown with no worries about parking, plugging the meter, etc."I, on the other hand, want nothing to do with the emp-T, and I'm tired of funding a wasteful government transportation boondoggle for the paltry 2% of Lawrence residents that have the time to waste waiting around for the T.Now, socialized transportation advocates want even more money from us this November 4. Tell every friend and family member to vote NO, NO, NO to the special interests and their demands more of your money.

Pilgrim 5 years, 7 months ago

"And, of course, the financial savings are considerable."******Except, of course, for that $3+ million the empTy sucks out of our pockets every year so it can convenience less than one percent of the city population. You're only paying $1 for something that actually costs $8.50, Dee. You're mooching off the rest of us. Aren't you proud?Get the fares up to where they're covering about 50% of the cost of operation, like most other transit systems, and then we can talk. Until then, the empTy has a cost-benefit ratio that is indefensible.Vote NO! twice!

Larry_The_Moocher 5 years, 7 months ago

Dee.. I am glad we get to pay some of your bills also... Would you ride it if it was $8.00 everytime you got onto it?That is what it comes down to...mooching a ride... try your friends!

jonas_opines 5 years, 7 months ago

Well, I guess I have to ride again today. My scooter is a little difficult to use when the weather gets like this.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 7 months ago

To be cost effective, Fixed Route Transit in a city the size of Lawrence Ks requires:..1) a common destination, and..2) a common high density origin.Sound llike KU on Wheels???? YESSound like the "T" ??? NO Sorry,, the "T" is not worth the expense.