Archive for Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sports spending

September 18, 2008

To the editor:

WHOA!!! Let's see: $14.5 million for a new high school football stadium. My math tells me that's about $1,000 per student or about $20,000 per teacher. Now if we could raise teacher salaries by $2,000 per year for the next 10 years what kind of teachers could we attract?

Now I like football a little less than the next guy but my son's education is very important to me - and I don't really like what he is getting now! If the school board can find a way to finance a new stadium, then they had better find a creative way to finance our children's education. And then there is the school board president's comment that the decision of the City Commission is more about code compliance than what's good for the neighborhood.

As a member of the Centennial community, I represent 50-year homeowners that have invested their lives in the tranquility of this neighborhood. Don't play football, or tennis, in our front yards without asking!

Kent VanHoesen,
Lawrence

Comments

igby 6 years, 3 months ago

I was cleaning out this apartment last year and found a video tape copy of the movie "Deliverance", in case anyone in the Lawrence High, residential area wants to view the movie. You may need to get in touch with reality or who's really runs the school board.

jafs 6 years, 3 months ago

Big Al,I think that's what called "reductio ad absurdum" - if you take any argument and continue it to an extreme, it becomes absurd.The point is that education is the primary function of our schools, and that resources should be spent first on educating our children.And, by the way, as far as I'm concerned, much on your list is not essential.

Keith 6 years, 3 months ago

"How arrogant of them to utilize their OWN private property as they see fit: That goes against all of the laws, rules, and regulations of that entire neighborhood I'm sure."News Flash: The school district is a PUBLIC entity, they don't have any private property, it belongs to all of us.

BigAl 6 years, 3 months ago

Yes, let's build perfectly clean metal buildings with no character, charm or civic pride. We don't need sports, band, cheerleaders, cheering sections, school colors, sportsmanship or school spirit. If it isn't 100% totally directed to the teacher or classroom, we don't need it. No more "field trips" "senior trips" "band trips" "school plays" or anything that might divert any funds from teachers or classrooms.

mom_of_three 6 years, 3 months ago

Come on people. Sports will be played there, what, maybe 5 or 6 months out of the year. Winter sports are indoors. But there is a need for a football stadium. Haskell is old, out of date, and they need to update it, and not with high school funds. It wasn't done right to begin with, but the school board is trying to change it. We are probably one or the only school where fans have to drive to different sports around town to watch high school events. Olathe has a great shared facility, and it would be great if they would have thought of it when they built FSHS, but they didn't. High school football played near the school...hhmm....what a concept...

tonythetiger 6 years, 3 months ago

That's okay. That is all the collegiate effort has to offer as well. It is almost assured that if you don't go watch all the major sports for your school and bow down to the mainstream of thought and behavior, you won't even get a degree.I tried to spend my spare time as I wanted while attending college and I just could not seem to. It seems that you might as well join a fraternity as well because they want to tell you want to think, what to do, who to be and how to do it and who you sleep with even. It is all arranged and hardly for your benefit. Be willing to sacrifice your independent spirit at the admissions door.

TheYetiSpeaks 6 years, 3 months ago

You have to love the implication that someone who likes sports is somehow a thoughtless drone who simply follows the leader attempting to "fit in", made by posters such as tonythetiger. I mean, it could not be that we actually, I don't know, ENJOYED sports and watching them. What a silly thing to say. It's funny, I don't remember degrading the people who did not like the sports at school. In fact, I don't remember even trying to identify them. You infer that all people who like sports and go to sporting events are sheep. Are you not trying to "fit in" to this little subculture of people who like to bash sports and act all snooty? If not, then you are doing a fine job of accidentally doing just that. I think its great that you wanted to spend all your time at college avoiding the sports. There's nothing wrong with burying your face in the books for 4 years. But I met a lot of people and enjoyed some great times with friends at sporting events that I will remember fondly for the rest of my life. I guess those times will just seem more important to me when I come to the end of my days. I feel sad for you.

igby 6 years, 3 months ago

Hawk:Lipstick on our pig?you Were you referring to "Hack", right?

BigAl 6 years, 3 months ago

jafs, you are correct. But the facts are that sports and everything that goes with sports is part of the school experience. And money IS spent first on education. That is why there is a need for new sports facilities in this town. Speaking of extremes, you and others suggest that there is NEVER a need for money to be spent on sports. TheYetiSpeaks is right on.

tonythetiger 6 years, 3 months ago

You know, I can see them wanting a new facility but I cannot see why it is always about sports. I think that an investment in our children's future is wise. I think we need new facilities to educate them in and I absolutely think it is important. But why not give them an education in materials and processes or a debate forum or a media room or make it on a learning process where they have a say in what they want to learn. High school was a really difficult time for me. I know you don't care personally, however I do not think emphasis should be on football. I think we should encourage healthy habits but I think we should make them more all encompassing.When I went to high school they talked of splitting the LHS into two high schools and they did not want to do it because of the football team. Now they want to build a new stadium and I suppose that is probably about time. I am sure Haskell stadium has about had it after the last 20 years. I just think it is a shame that we have to invest in things I think are so trivial. I think I went to one high school football game the entire time I was in high school and I think that is about how important it was to me. Not at all.

paavopetie 6 years, 3 months ago

I don't have time to research the numbers, but fewer and fewer kids are competing in high school sports these days. Which is a crying shame because athletics teaches character, keeps children physically fit, and a myriad of other positive outcomes. Athletics is essentially an extension of the classroom.But back to my point, there are less kids in high school athletics today than twenty years ago. Some just want the after school job so they can buy a car or the latest and greatest cell phone. Others are just downright lazy and don't want to do anything after school. These are the kids who wind up going to JCCC to take a few art classes because they don't know what they want to do with their lives.Athletics above all should emphasis goal-setting. The future leaders of our world need that trait if they are to ever become our leaders. Athletics deserves our funding.And you're trying to tell me that if we offer $34k a year over $32k a year for a teacher that will really make a difference (attracting far superior teachers)?

budwhysir 6 years, 3 months ago

I think everyone is missing the point. Anyone but me need another beer here? Where would they be without sports? And if this money wasnt spent on this we would not have overpaid athletes and underpaid teachers. If you see a deep hole, dont make it bigger, it will only hurt when you finaly fall in

labmonkey 6 years, 3 months ago

But why isn't money spent on education for our children's future instead of sports? Put some field turf on Haskell Stadium and save millions. Why not put money into every student's future instead of the one student in the next 20 years who might make it to a professional team? Although I thought it a crock when Minnesota voted him in, there was one thing I liked that Jessie Ventura said when he said that he would sign a bill allowing taxpayer money for new professional sports stadiums when people started complaining about schools being 20 years out of date.Lawrence, demand that you spend that money teaching your kids, not on pretty new facilities.

commuter 6 years, 3 months ago

Ken- you actually are missing the point. The money for the stadium has to come from the capital outlay budget, which means other projects will suffer due to help pay for the stadium unless they do some "creative" financing.My guess, in a year or so the board will have another bond issue to pay for the elementary problems that can not be addressed due to the current capital outlay budget being spent.To me, if the district wants a stadium, go out and do a bond issue instead of trying to use current capital outlay money and money left over from a previous bond issue to fund it.By doing this I would have thought the board was acting in the best interests of all Lawrence. Right now I can not vote for any school bond issue because both the Board and the admin has lost my trust. Too many bait and switch tactics from both.

humblecommentator 6 years, 3 months ago

whatever the merits of this stadium, there is no doubt that as a society we have a sports sickness. id frankly don't undeerstand the obsessions wit it