Archive for Monday, September 15, 2008

South Park becomes art gallery

Jennifer Holladay, of Lawrence, checks out a selection of art Sunday during the Fall Arts and Crafts Festival at South Park. The framed glass was at the booth of Kickin' Glass, of Manhattan.

September 15, 2008

Mili Matthias, 6, of Lawrence, pets a bearded dragon lizard named Vic during the Fall Arts and Crafts Festival. Chris Sechler, of Lawrence, was watching the lizard for her daughter, Elise Sechler, while selling art at a booth.

South Park was transformed into an outdoor shopping mall Sunday for the 29th annual Fall Arts and Crafts Festival.

"It's pretty cool," said festival-goer Jen Young of Lawrence. "It's huge."

More than 200 artists and craftsmen participated in the event. Participants strolled the sidewalks where tables displayed a vast array of goods, from jewelry and artwork to pet beds and tie-dyed baby clothes.

Tanika Halcrombe, of Lawrence, sat at one table, her lotions and soaps laid out before her. Halcrombe said it was her first attempt at selling her hand-made glycerin soaps and lotions, made with ingredients including grapeseed oil and avocado. She said sales were a bit slow.

"I'm doing something that I like to do - that's the main thing," she said.

Down another path, Lori Schutter, of Lawrence, and Patti Concidine, of Overland Park, also were making their first appearance as vendors, with hand-made jewelry. Their table displayed beaded cell phone lanyards, stretch bracelets, necklaces and jewelry sets. Schutter said she had sold several items at work, but sales were slow on Sunday.

"We've only sold three things," she said. "We've had a lot of people looking, but not very many buying."

Schutter was undeterred.

"We'll probably come back here next year," she said. "We'll give this one another shot. It's been fun."

Comments

kef104 5 years, 7 months ago

Genius,Good job finding an article. I missed it completely and usually pride myself on finding fun artsy things to do on weekends. Also, my apologies to LJW since they did have an article. For 30 years I have known the sidewalk sale date, yet the Art in the Park (okay, technically not completely correct as far as the name, but the description fits) dates have eluded me. Thanks to Amyc for providing the regularly occurring dates. I shall never have a reason to miss these again.

mom_of_three 5 years, 7 months ago

I knew the fall arts fair at South Park was coming up so I looked it up. Sometimes you don't find things/stories looking online as the titles aren't self-explanatory. I wanted to go to the Indian Art Market/fair, but I just didn't get around to it.

mustbhiorlo 5 years, 7 months ago

South Park is a hilarious cartoon.

SusieCreamcheeze 5 years, 7 months ago

I had a booth selling my cowboy boot purses...we had a very nice show and made money, chatted with old friends, and new...fun was had by all...sorry if you missed it....There were lots of folks shoping. Don't miss the Maple Leaf Fest in Baldwin the 3 rd weekend in Oct. or Biz Baz the Saturday after thanksgiving, Nov 29, at the Lawrence Art Center on New Hampshire St.

Pywacket 5 years, 7 months ago

That's so very special, Gab.

Gab 5 years, 7 months ago

Dr.Marcellino is my primary care physician, and I feel lucky. He is a very good doctor. He is smart, caring compassionate and kind.His warm personality makes me feel comfortable telling him my health concerns. He is confident, personal, forthright, respectful, thorough and a great listener. He takes my input seriously and he is practical. Prevention is the magic word. I like that. It is a very good feeling to have TRUST in my doctor. Gabriella Galvin

toe 5 years, 7 months ago

The South Park festival seemed very small to me this year. The Haskell Indian Art Festival was outstanding.

amyc 5 years, 7 months ago

As someone else mentioned, Art in the Park is the first Sunday in May (Mother's Day is the second Sunday) and the Fall Arts and Crafts Festival is the second Sunday in September. The art fair at Haskell is the same weekend. There is also a calendar of events on this website and one on the Parks & Rec website. It helped me not to miss these things once I figured that out.

PebblesFlintstone 5 years, 7 months ago

Geniusman, that was brilliant! I am laughing so hard I can't breathe.

bearclaws 5 years, 7 months ago

I just choked on my cereal.... geniusman, you made my morning.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 7 months ago

There was an article last Friday:http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/sep/12/art_fairs_highlight_weekend/There was another article in August. It was listed in the online and paper event listings. There were ads in the paper. Perhaps you'd like to subscribe to the new LJW service where an employee comes to your door, intuitively senses what you're interested in, and reads any pertinent articles to you out loud.

1029 5 years, 7 months ago

Maybe more people would have been buying if they had heard about this event. Strange that this wasn't promoted on the ljworld online.Very disappointing.

onrywmn 5 years, 7 months ago

Rogman,You are right. I didn't see the ads because I do not subscribe to the paper. I just read it online, so the ads are worthless to me. An article about it would have been nice.

hilary 5 years, 7 months ago

Art in the park is always the first Sunday in May.

logrithmic 5 years, 7 months ago

Rogman,They should still run a story on it. I too did not know it was going on. Many don't look at the ads.

rogman 5 years, 7 months ago

kef104 - Art in the Park is in May. This was Park and Recreation's Fall Arts and Crafts Festival. There were ads in the paper last week promoting it.

kef104 5 years, 7 months ago

Wow, another year I miss Art in the Park. You would think the local news would present coverage of upcoming events instead of waiting until they had passed. Maybe more buyers would show up. For what it is worth, the Plaza Art Festival starts Friday. Funny, the KC Star makes sure you know about it. With luck, I will figure out Art in the Park on my own next year.