Archive for Saturday, September 13, 2008

Army Reservists visit Sunflower students

Sunflower School students listen to US Army Reserve soldiers speak Friday at the school. The soldiers spoke to the students about their civilian lives and their past deployments. The Reservists will leave Monday for a yearlong mission to Iraq.

September 13, 2008

Army Reservists visit Sunflower students

Students at Sunflower Elementary got a visit from soldiers who are soon deploying to Iraq. Enlarge video

Seven Iraq-bound soldiers paid a visit to students at Sunflower School on Friday.

The Army Reservists from the 538th Transportation Company Detachment, which is training at Fort Riley, talked to second- and sixth-graders about what it means to be deployed.

"We all come together to do one thing, and that is to serve in the military, and you're the reason we do that," said 2nd Lt. John Barbee, who has two children, Sanders and John, at Sunflower.

Several of the soldiers have served in Iraq or Afghanistan and gave the students some insight into what those places are like.

"If you thought snowstorms were bad, you should see a sandstorm," said Spc. Paul Fancy, who has served in Kuwait and Afghanistan.

The soldiers, who will deliver supplies to troops in the field, listened to the young students as they shared some of their own tales of loved ones who have served in the wars.

Barbee said it can be difficult to talk to children about war.

"Sometimes as grown-ups, we don't even understand it," he said. "What they (kids) see on CNN or a blurb in the newspaper is all they get, but as long as they understand that we volunteer to do what we do there - and we like doing what we do."

Phyllis Buchele, a school librarian, said it was valuable for the kids to see soldiers up close and personal, rather than on the news.

"These are soldiers, but they have regular jobs. That gives the kids a personal connection to the soldiers," she said.

Barbee said he hopes the students will send letters to the troops while they are on their yearlong deployment.

"That really does keep us motivated and keeps us going to do what we do," he said. "Sometimes it does get hard."

Comments

BuffyloGal 6 years, 6 months ago

Only if the kids promise to write them letters too.

notajayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

Thank you, Lt. Barbee, Spc. Fancy, and all the others who have so bravely volunteered to make the sacrifices you endure for your country. I certainly hope you are all aware that the morons of looney-Larrytown, who think that serving their country means tearing it down at every opportunity on their computers from mommy's basement, don't even represent the views of Kansas, let alone the nation, and the majority of us respect, support, and are grateful for your service. And that there are those of us who sincerely hope children of parents like notnowdear benefit from your positive example instead of being locked away to become good little socialists. Please watch out for yourselves and all of you come home safe. Thank you for all you do, over there and over here, too.

tlangas54 6 years, 6 months ago

You're right, Bozo (real name?) I should have called you what you are, a spoiled American who thinks freedom is free. An uninformed citizen who thinks the whole world is our friend and that militaries are not necessary. You sound like an elitist, so perhaps you have a history book, or two, around the loft. If so, referrence the fact that every free society only became free by force and it remains free because its citizens remain willing to die to keep their freedom. Don't worry Bozo, our Army reservists and our active forces will continue to fight for your right to say whatever you want to, whenever you want to say it. They leave the rhetoric to unarmed "Bozos" like you and me. (I am sorry that you thought the previous insult was a "schoolyard taunt", your school must have had a REALLY boring schoolyard.)

Ralph Reed 6 years, 6 months ago

*Finally, read the article. The soldiers spoke to the 2nd and 6th grade students. Lt Barbee has children in the 2nd and 6th grades and Sunflower. Who's to say his kids didn't ask him to come speak? Further, they would not have been at the school without first having received permission from the school.A note to those who say they don't want their children exposed to the military in school. You have the right to ask that your child be kept from such "exposure," and the school will make every attempt to comply. The same goes if you don't want your child to be exposed to the teaching of evolution or the teaching of intelligent design (creationism) in science classrooms.*****I'm me. Who are you behind your hood of anonymity?

notajayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

And you want to keep your children locked away and exposed to nothing but your own brainwashing, right, notnowdear? That's the 'freedom' you advocate for?Not that I believe you've ever had a job, but do you feel that way about everyone who 'turn over their lives' to others to make the decisions?You have no idea what it means to be a soldier, or to serve others in any way for that matter. Let's hope there's enough of your children's minds remaining when they can get away from you to remember how to make good choices.

tlangas54 6 years, 6 months ago

Oh, Ike, you silly boy, SOMEONE has to get violent to make sure the wimps of the world still have a place to whine!

Godot 6 years, 6 months ago

"September 2008 at 10:13 a.m.Suggest removal Permalinkjust_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says: I wonder if they'll have the anarchists address the kids next week."Why? It would be nothing new for them, the anarchists are the ones who create the curriculum. That's why high school graduates cannot read or write or do math.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 6 months ago

"Let's hope there's enough of your children's minds remaining when they can get away from you to remember how to make good choices."Such as the choice to get their brains blown out?

notajayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

"Such as the choice to get their brains blown out?"Let's see, in the recent past, boohoozo criticized the poor man who was struck by the bus on his moped saying he should have been riding on the bus instead (and expressed gratitude that no one on the bus was hurt), that parents of children with disabilities should be excluded from positions of responsibility outside the home, and now he denigrates those who have chosen to make the ultimate sacrifice for their country. Boohoozo, why don't you load up your bus with the rest of the slime cowering under their beds hoping someone else will protect them (while insulting them for doing so) and go somewhere that appreciates your mindless drivel? If you could find someplace that caters to such worthless, spineless, fools.

domino 6 years, 6 months ago

gogoplata - I think it is sad that there are still so many people who buy into all the media crap like you apparently do. The service you are "not at all grateful for" includes your right to get online and post nasty, hateful comments from the privacy of your home - you will not be found out, you will not be persicuted for your beliefs because of those who you say are not serving you. In fact, you have the right to go spout your opinions, which in my opinion is assinine, from any street corner you want! You will not be thrown in jail or members of your family tortured or killed because of your beliefs. You are entitled to your beliefs, just as I am, and I believe you are an idiot!

domino 6 years, 6 months ago

notnow - I feel so much better after reading the rest of your posts. I did allow you to push my buttons at first, but, after reading your last several posts, realize that you are really and truly nuts! Maybe the nice people at Osawatamie can help keep you from the shadowy government and nukes and rapists and boogie men under the bed and maybe even yourself!

Ralph Reed 6 years, 6 months ago

notnowdear (Anonymous) writes: "I hope you are willing to protect us from that US shadow government that illegally ships nukes across the country and sends nuke triggers to highly volatile areas in the world.Are you willing to go against your orders to protect the US Constitution and the rights of the american people?"It wasn't a shadow government that caused the "shipment." AND, those responsible for the incidents have been punished.Every soldier takes an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreig and domestic. You evidently know this. Your statements indicate they don't.*dr_k (Anonymous) writes: "Let's all meet at midnight in front of cty (sic) hall. We'll fight until this is settled."Actually, given the level of discussion of late on the LJW forums (not just this thread), your jibe should read, 'dr_k (Anonymous) says: Let's all meet behind the bowling alley on the way home from school. We'll fight until this is settled.'*Ike_will_strike (Anonymous) writes: "Anarchists are thinking people with principles, while todays "soldiers" are more likey to kill civilians and nothing more than programed robots."That's a gross generalization Ike. From Wikipedia (as a quick source). Anarchism is a political philosophy encompassing theories and attitudes which support the elimination of all compulsory government. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchism)You extend that, and the first sign that a group is imposing something compulsory results in that which is not anarchy: don't steal, and don't kill your neighbor are a couple of examples.*just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) writes: "Such as the choice to get their brains blown out?"bozo, every soldier (encompassing all the military) knows full well the possibility exists they won't come home; they'll come home in a body bag; they'll come home as damaged goods; or they'll be fine. So, yes, they did make a choice.*notnowdear (Anonymous) writes: "Yes, when it came time for me to be a soldier, I knew instinctively that my place in the armed forces was to allow military officers to cop feels and rape me."Notnowdear, it was reprehensible (sp?) that this happened to you. I know it won't make it better, but I'm sorry it did.******I'm me. Who are you behind your hood of anonymity?

dr_k 6 years, 6 months ago

Let's all meet at midnight in front of cty hall. We'll fight until this is settled. It'll be great...blood and body parts everywhere (just like Topeka on a Saturday night). We'll call channel six and get it on tape. I'll be there to cheer everyone on, "Go, fight, die!"

Ralph Reed 6 years, 6 months ago

Correction, they "WOULD NOT" have been at the school without permission.

gogoplata 6 years, 6 months ago

It is sad that there are still so many people who think that what our militay is doing is heroic or has any thing to do with protecting citizens un the USA. I am not at all grateful for your service. You are not serving me. You are not serving your country. You are serving a corrupt government.

Confrontation 6 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, don't forget kids, your daddy with his rifle in the garage is able to protect this country all by himself. Forget about having these brave men in the army protecting you and your nation from attacks. Your daddy drives a big chevy truck and eats his meat.

domino 6 years, 6 months ago

OMG!!! I can't even begin to express how much some of the comments pi$$ me off - especially those from "notnowdear"! Let me start by saying that just because you don't support the war doesn't mean you can't support the troops!!! The armed forces did not "take" or "steal" these young men and women who are serving our country - every single one of them who is over there right now VOLUNTEERED!!!!! There is no draft and no one forced them to go prior to their volunteering!!! They knew when they signed up that there was a chance this would happen and if they choose to ignore the possibility, that is their responsibility, not the governments! Too often, people don't stop and think that these soldiers VOLUNTEERED - there is no draft - there is no forcing them to join the military at this point in time. Maybe you need to take some time and find a soldier who was drafted, and sent to spend a year or more in Vietman. And yes, they were drafted - they didn't volunteer - and they did not run and hide in Canada as many did. They watched their commrads die, saw things young men should never have to see and yes, they killed. War sucks!!! notnow - if you have so much contempt and disdain for our country, why don't you pack your bags and take your happy a$$ to Canada or Mexico or somewhere else where you would not have to associate with what you call "bottom feeders" - many of us would be happy to have you gone. I can only assume your children are small and not yet to an age where they might decide to join the military. I wonder what will happen if that day ever comes? Will you disown them and call them "bottom feeders"? How will you feel about people who would call your child by names like that? None of us raise our children hoping they will go into the military and be killed in a war. But neither do we hope they will die by any means!! I still have one child who would be prime age if they would reinstate the draft. I pray that will never happen, but if it does, I'm sure he would go and serve his country just as his father, who by the way was drafted and sent to Vietnam, did! I'm equally as sure I would spend many sleepless night and cry buckets of tears. I would like nothing more than to have every single young man/woman who is overseas right now come home safely, but until they do, I will pray for them.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

incredible! boozo-on-the-liberal-bus makes the implication of moral equivalence between reservists and anarchists! the anarchists *had to be driven out of G-town because they refused to recognize martial law! so, boozo, why would they have the anarchists coming next week? is that week "trip to the zoo week?"

Ralph Reed 6 years, 6 months ago

Windlass (Anonymous) writes: consumer alertredcats usa commits Identity Theft. They have operations out of both Taunton, Massachusettes, and Indianapolis, Indiana.**Just curious as I've not looked. Did you post this just here, or on every thread?**I'm me. Who are you behind your hood of anonymity?

gogoplata 6 years, 6 months ago

Domino. What media crap am I buying? George W himself has admitted that there was no terrorist link between Iraq and the attacks on this country. I do respect soldiers who have the moral integrity to be faithful to their oath to support and uphold the constitution. Sadly there are too few of them. If more were faithful we wouldn't be able to wage unconstitutional wars. That is why I stated correctly that those who ignore their oath to fight in these wars are not fighting for Joe Americans freedom. They are fighting for a government that has no problems trampling on the constitution. If it sounds nasty to you. Too bad. I love this country but I strongly disagree with our government leaders blatant disregard for our constitution that was designed to limit governments abuse of power. More people need to wake up to the fact that our federal government is more of a threat to individual liberty than the terrorists the troops are "saving" us from.

notajayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

"I refuse to take on the brainwash that they are."First you'd have to take on a brain.

gogoplata 6 years, 6 months ago

tunahelper, I have heard this neoconservative propaganda that you are spewing many times before. No matter how many times you say it won't make it true. Also you shouldn't make the mistake of placing all antiwar people in the liberal camp. I just may be more conservative than you are.

tlangas54 6 years, 6 months ago

Hey,hey!! Calm down kids! I got censored for NOT calling someone a complete idiot! Can't we just agree to disagree? Can't we all just get along? This was fun. We'll do it again real soon. Again, don't worry, you little leftist anarchists, the REAL adults will be on the wall tonight, standing their posts, just like every night since 1776.

domino 6 years, 6 months ago

notnow - So it's ok for you to insult our troops because it is your opinion, but I'm not allowed to express my opinion of you? I'm reminded of an old saying -Arguing with a farmer is like wrestling a pig in the mud - sooner or later, you realize the pig is enjoying it!!Have a great rest of the weekend!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 6 months ago

You don't need to agree with the anarchists' political viewpoints, or the ways they express them, to at least recognize that in this country you used to be able to hold dissenting views from those of the government. Shouldn't the kids at least be informed of what rights they might have had?But I guess BG confirms that, at least in his opinion, the purpose of the soldiers' visit was to indoctrinate, not to educate.

tlangas54 6 years, 6 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 6 months ago

I wonder if they'll have the anarchists address the kids next week.

denak 6 years, 6 months ago

I spent 5 years in the Marine Corps so I have no problem with the military. However, I do have to wonder what was the academic neccissity of this visit for 2nd graders who are usually 7 years old.I'm not really sure what they will take away from this encounter considering at 7, they are only just developing their critical thinking skills and learning the difference betweeen fantasy and reality and other abstract ideas.I suppose I could get behind this more if we lived closer to a military base and thus had more children whose parents were actually in the service and service over in Iraq or Afghanistan. I could see the value in this if it was a way to alliveate anxiety in the children whose parents are serving.As for the 6th graders, other than I question the academic need for this kind of visit, I don't think it did any damage. The boys probably thought it was "cool." However, in the future, I think these types of visits should be left to the older grades where the students can understand the significance of what the soldiers are saying.Dena

bondmen 6 years, 6 months ago

madmike, looks like the dead and gone "evolve" character has resurrected as "Ike_will_strike" and he's been real busy sending hate filled, profanity laced e-mails to me too. I guess he doesn't have the necessary cojones to post it for everybody else to read and see what a truly sorry little fella he turned out to be. My guess is he was raised in a less than ideal family situation and sadly it stuck with him. There is hope icke but first you must face yourself and admit you are a lost soul and on your way to the bad place if things don't quickly change.

Ralph Reed 6 years, 6 months ago

Again I ask, did anyone stop to think that Lt Barbee's children may have asked their dad to come to the school? To reiterate, they would have been at the school without permission from the school.

tunahelper 6 years, 6 months ago

all you leftist libtards need to pack up and move to China where they will kick your sorry yellow coward butt!The reservists are the really HEROES, not omaba or hillary.If you can read this, thank a teacher.If you can read this in English, thank an American Soldier!p.s. Sarah Palin ROCKS!!!