Archive for Wednesday, September 10, 2008

No questions, please: Palin sticks to script

Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., right, and his vice presidential running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, address the crowd at a campaign rally Tuesday at Franklin & Marshall College in Lancaster, Pa.

September 10, 2008

— John McCain took a risk in picking little-known Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as a running mate, but now the campaign's playing it safer. She's sticking to a greatest hits version of her convention speech on the campaign trail and steering clear of questions until she's comfortable enough for a hand-picked interviewer later this week.

More than 40 million people tuned in last week to listen to the speech from Palin, the 44-year-old first-term governor whom McCain announced as his surprise vice presidential pick just days before. Since then, that basic script is all anyone has heard from her publicly, and her only interaction with the media was a brief conversation with a small group of reporters on her plane Monday - off the record at her handlers' insistence.

Associated Press reporters were not on the plane, but an aide told the journalists on board that all Palin flights would be off the record unless the media were told otherwise. At least one reporter objected. Two people on the flight said the Palins greeted the media and they chatted about who had been to Alaska, but little else was said.

His campaign appearances have touched on a range of issues - in Florida he talked about U.S. support for Israel, in Pennsylvania it was economics and tax policy.

Amid growing sniping from Democrats, the McCain campaign announced that Palin would sit down for her first interview, with ABC. It will take place over two days at her home in Alaska.

And then?

"She's not scared to answer questions," Davis said on "Fox News Sunday."

So far, Palin has barely spoken with voters either. Since the convention, she and McCain have breezed through a Wisconsin ice cream shop, a New Mexico restaurant and a Missouri barbecue place, shaking hands with diners but not taking any questions. Photographers and television cameras have been allowed full view while reporters are typically ushered too far away to ask questions or hear most of the conversations.

Her public remarks essentially have been excerpts of her convention speech, delivered while introducing McCain at rallies.

Her schedule released Tuesday shows she will attend a "welcome home" rally in Fairbanks, Alaska, tonight - her first major campaign appearance without McCain at her side and his advisers hanging in the wings.

To be sure, all candidates running for office give the same remarks over and over - Barack Obama's stump speech has hardly changed throughout the campaign, and McCain has been telling familiar stories and jokes for months.

But none of the candidates in this race has been so shielded from the media, so protected from any spontaneous situation, and Palin's unvarying remarks give the impression that she and her message are being tightly controlled. As before her convention speech, McCain's campaign is briefing Palin for her first TV interview.

In her remarks, there are always descriptions of McCain as a "man who's there to serve his country and not just his party." He's someone who's "not looking for a fight but is not afraid of one either." He "doesn't run with the Washington herd." He's the only man in this election "who has ever really fought for you."

And always the same details about herself, how she "stood up to the special interests, the lobbyists, big oil companies and the good ol' boys network," as a mayor and then governor in Alaska.

The people in their crowds, many of whom say they've heard these lines before, still go wild when she repeats that McCain put everything on the line last year when he said "he would rather lose an election than see his country lose a war."

Comments

Mixolydian 5 years, 7 months ago

Since everyone is in an impatient tizzy to hear what Palin has to say about Obama, let's hear from Joe Biden in the meantime:On Obama: "When this campaign is over, political slogans like experience' andchange' will mean absolutely nothing. The next president has to act."Assessing Obama's Iraq plan on September 13, 2007: "My impression is [Obama] thinks that if we leave, somehow the Iraqis are going to have an epiphany of peaceful coexistence among warring sects. I've seen zero evidence of that."The only guy on the other side who's qualified is John McCain.""Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of the United States of America... she's easily qualified to be vice president of the United States of America, and quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me.">>>>>Since Biden holds Clinton in high regard, how about her relevant quotes on Obama:"On a lot of these issues it is hard to know where he stands, and people need to ask that.""An untested man who offers false hope," "We don't need to be raising the false hopes of our country about what can be delivered." "A president can't vote 'present.' A president can't pick and choose which challenges he or she will face.""Lifting whole passages from someone else's speeches is not change you can believe in. It's change you can Xerox.""I think you'll be able to imagine many things Senator McCain will be able to say, he's never been the president, but he will put forth his lifetime of experience. I will put forth my lifetime of experience. Senator Obama will put forth a speech he made in 2002."

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

bea: "You might connect on just half of your puns, but if you are batting .500 that is still better than Ted Williams.I'm... er... not really sure how to take that... but I'm pretty sure the "puns"are the result of a disconnect.Always glad to discover another disconnected soul, tho'.

beatrice 5 years, 7 months ago

TRA, I don't comment on your posts often enough, but I truly enjoy your attempts at humor under any and all circumstances. The word play is terrific and greatly appreciated. You might connect on just half of your puns, but if you are batting .500 that is still better than Ted Williams. Keep it up, please. Oh, and I think somebody might have accidentally changed my logon to Sandy Morgan.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

Jay: "But da(r)n! She's such a freakin' MILF!"Mother Ignoring Languishing Family?

jafo 5 years, 7 months ago

Don't attack the alarming eyeglasses. They look like the ones you see in the LensCrafters ad in the Sunday paper. They're in style. Just go after her credentials not the glasses.

JayCat_67 5 years, 7 months ago

But da(r)n! She's such a freakin' MILF!

SandyMorgan 5 years, 7 months ago

And how can you be her age and never have gone to Europe? ... Sarah Palin's travel record is that of a hopeless provincial. ... Palin is a shallow, chirpy person with those vaguely alarming eyeglasses. Now her fans all want a pair. Remember back when women wore glasses that departed their ears in plastic swoops and swirls? My theory is, anyone who wears glasses that look weird is telling me something I don't want to know. I trust the American people will see through Palin's facade, and save the Republic in November. The most damning indictment against her is that she considered herself a good choice to be a heartbeat away. That shows bad judgment

beobachter 5 years, 7 months ago

Tom. you summed it up nicely and absolutely correctly. Except Bush should be number 1 on the list.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

snap: "And more than a touch of racket from... sandymorgan...."It's been like the 4th of July! ( Asbury Park ) ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ314h...

Flap Doodle 5 years, 7 months ago

"...now the whole right wing noise machine has been fired up."And more than a touch of racket from the sinister side of the aisle. (see sandymorgan posts on this thread)

yankeelady 5 years, 7 months ago

The most disturbing thing about the whole Palin flap, is that we are no longer hearing about the issues. One of McCain's aides was quoted as saying the election would NOT be about the issues, and now the whole right wing noise machine has been fired up. Remember 2000 and 2004 folks. And Rove is actually advising the McCain campaign??!!! Deja vu. Are we that gullible??

jaywalker 5 years, 7 months ago

bozo: "Do you think her bribing every person in the State to the tune of $1200 additional a year has anything to do with that?'Kinda like BO promising tax cuts...er....tax credits....um.. to the middle class, or $1200 to every family from windfall profits? In Palin's case, she helped her fellow Alaskans with their extreme fuel and heating costs by taking money from oil revenues, just like BO wants to. Yeah, it's a bribe. And did someone say BO was on O'Reilly? I'll be pissed if I missed that!! I hope Obama shot that smug SOB down down down, guy makes my stomach turn.

SandyMorgan 5 years, 7 months ago

In October of 1996, Sarah Palin asked the Wasilla police chief, librarian, public works director, and finance director to resign, and instituted a policy requiring department heads to get her approval before talking to reporters. Sarah Palin was reportedly upset about things these city employees had said about her. In January 1997, Sarah Palin notified the police chief, Irl Stambaugh, and the town librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, that they were being fired as a result of not heeding her warning to step down. Sarah Palin said in a letter that she wanted a change because she believed the two did not fully support her administration! She rescinded the firing of the librarian, but not the police chief. The chief filed a lawsuit, but a court dismissed it, finding that the mayor had the right to fire city employees for nearly any reason. According to Anne Kilkenny, a Democrat who observed the City Council, Sarah Palin also brought up the idea of banning some books at one city council meeting

SandyMorgan 5 years, 7 months ago

What's the difference between Palin and the Taliban? Lipstick.

SandyMorgan 5 years, 7 months ago

Why Mommmy lef meCommeners leaving commens on my blog an I see the commens an now I know why Mommy left me.Cause I'm a librul.Commeners say I'm a librul so I'm a librul. I don' no what a librul is but I no one thin about libruls. The one thin I no abouut libruls is:Mommy haytes libruls.Becus they are bad. An now I no why Mommy went away frum me.

SandyMorgan 5 years, 7 months ago

I see Trig has a blog! Google downspalin blogspot if you need a good laugh.

SandyMorgan 5 years, 7 months ago

"Palin bad. Bush bad. Republicans bad. McCain bad. Lipstick joke OK. Obama the best."It's called obgective reality, its what they report.

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 7 months ago

Seeing Brian Williams and crew (Andrea Mitchell the worst) getting more shrill every day.Palin bad. Bush bad. Republicans bad. McCain bad. Lipstick joke OK. Obama the best. They're still hurting over Olberman and Russert.I got something to say........F all the hard left corrupt media.

Bob Forer 5 years, 7 months ago

Sandy_Morgan, as a man, I probably don't quite feel your outrage. Nonetheless, am pretty fricking pissed off and disguisted. Rage on, Sister. Right on!

SandyMorgan 5 years, 7 months ago

I have a friend up there, and she said that daughter of hers is ... I'd say more, but it'd get removed. Anyway, she thinks maybe that daughter's baby is more likely to be born with birth defects than that last kid was, and that one may have been punishment anyway.

george_nye 5 years, 7 months ago

SandyMorgan (Anonymous) says: Palin's primary qualification seems to be that she hasn't had an abortion [that we know about...those repubs are sneaky bastards.]

SandyMorgan 5 years, 7 months ago

Have any of you wingnuts considered that we're talking about having as Vice President someone who will be "periodically unstable" and probably go through menopause soon? Trust me, those are no picnics, and if I'd had nukes, I'd have used 'em.

SandyMorgan 5 years, 7 months ago

It's like a really bad Disney movie. The hockey mom, and she's president and facing down Vladimir Putin. It's absurd. It's totally absurd and I don't understand why more people aren't talking about it.

SandyMorgan 5 years, 7 months ago

She is the reverse of Barack Obama, in essence his shadow, deriding his idealism and exhorting people to obey their worst impulses. In psychological terms the shadow is that part of the psyche that hides out of sight, countering our aspirations, virtue, and vision with qualities we are ashamed to face: anger, fear, revenge, violence, selfishness, and suspicion of "the other."

SandyMorgan 5 years, 7 months ago

Palin's primary qualification seems to be that she hasn't had an abortion.

SandyMorgan 5 years, 7 months ago

As a woman who does not believe what Palin believes, the thought of such an opportunistic anti-female in the White House - in the Cheney chair, no less - is akin to ideological brain rape.

SandyMorgan 5 years, 7 months ago

God I hate her. Why do you keep shoving pictures of her down our throats? Don't you have any women working at that paper? Why not just print pictures on the glossy stuff so you can hang them up at work?I Hate Her I Hate Her I HAte Her.Enough!

mom_of_three 5 years, 7 months ago

I like how the polls say women are voting for Mccain because of her. Sorry, this woman is definitely not voting republican this year, because of Palin.

lubyloo 5 years, 7 months ago

McCain hardly has room to talk when it comes to using offensive language (if the pig with lipstick comment could be called offensive).http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/02/18/MN32194.DTL

Bob Forer 5 years, 7 months ago

If McCain wins, and later dies in office, will Sarah Palin hide from the Iranians, the Russians, the Chinese, the North Koreans, and the terrorists just as she now hides from the press? In the words of Shrub, its a "hard job," which, you Sarah, are apparently incapable of handling. Believe me, Osama Bin Landen is a little tougher to handle than a bunch of reporters.

KURocks 5 years, 7 months ago

Southside:And what would the media arm of the left be, perhaps CCN, CBS, NBC, MSNBC. You dems crack me up, why you so scared of Palin, is it because you just relaized your only hope for winning was a ticket including Hillary?.

RestoreReason 5 years, 7 months ago

Joe Biden has been campaigning on his own "for weeks"? He accepted the Dems' nomination for VP candidate on August 27, barely two weeks ago. He did not appear on "Meet the Press" until September 7. That's 11 days. Sarah Palin was nominated as the GOP's VP candidate on September 3, just a week ago. The article does not mentioned this (maybe the J-W edited it out), but Palin will be questioned by Charlie Gibson later this week. If that interview takes place before Sunday, she will have faced questioning sooner than the Chia Pet did when he took friendly questions from Tom Brokaw on "Meet the Press."

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 7 months ago

The only reason I'm scared of Palin is that she is a hollow log. We know what she is like surficially, but until she starts answering questions, I'm afraid we only know that she's a 'pitt-bull with lipstick' who put a plane on e-bay and decided not to support some bridge project.Republicans were blathering about inexperience before Palin was picked, but now they're saying, "Oh, wait, I guess there are some caveats to inexperience." And Obama is still comparably inexperienced, eh? Well, he's been able to lead a historically-successful presidential campaign, beating the political Goliath, Hillary Clinton. But Palin is attractive yet spunky, right?I think that McCain and Palin could easily win a costume contest with their current guises as 'mavericks' for 'change.' I used to think McCain was sort of a maverick, and then he began campaigning for president. According to my perceptions, he became much more Bush-like. At one time, I would have considered voting for the guy, but not now.

Agnostick 5 years, 7 months ago

ese:Welcome back, screedposter. Can't stand it, can ya? Troll...

daddax98 5 years, 7 months ago

sorry I usually don't shoot layups but you left the basket wide open.Actually McCain used the Lipstick on a Pig line when referring to Hillery Clinton's Health Care reform

jhwk2008 5 years, 7 months ago

And here's the official quote LIAR.Obama: "Let's just list this for a second. John McCain says he's about change, too. Except -- and so I guess his whole angle is, "Watch out, George Bush, except for economic policy, health-care policy, tax policy, education policy, foreign policy, and Karl Rove-style politics. We're really gonna shake things up in Washington." That's not change. That's just calling some -- the same thing, something different. But you know, you can -- you know, you can put lipstick on a pig; it's still a pig."

ese 5 years, 7 months ago

jhwk2008 (Anonymous) says: ese, want me to follow your lead and LIE?'''''You're still following the playbook. Same script. When exposed, revert to accusations of LIES.

daddax98 5 years, 7 months ago

"Don't you have any new material? Why do you stick to the same script?"trying to be like Sarah Palin

jhwk2008 5 years, 7 months ago

And didn't John McCain call his own wife a c**t?

jhwk2008 5 years, 7 months ago

"John McCain's daughter Meghan is not taking offense to Barack Obama's "lipstick on a pig" line like the rest of her father's campaign, pointing out Wednesday morning that GOP presidential nominee has been known to use the phrase."I've heard my dad say that, the term 'lipstick on a pig,'" McCain said during an appearance on Fox promoting her new children's book about her father."John McCain called Sarah Palin a pig!!!!!!!!!!!!

jhwk2008 5 years, 7 months ago

ese, want me to follow your lead and LIE?

ese 5 years, 7 months ago

jhwk2008 (Anonymous) says: Snap, why do you hate Jesus? Wasn't he a community organizer?ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZDon't you have any new material? Why do you stick to the same script?

jhwk2008 5 years, 7 months ago

Snap, why do you hate Jesus? Wasn't he a community organizer?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 7 months ago

I mock community organizers with great mocks.

dumas 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm not afraid of Sarah Palin. Quite opposite. I think she's an interesting person. Would I be friends with her? Maybe. Would we disagree? Probably. Do I want her potentially running the country? No.People wonder why so much focus has been placed on her. There's a really simple reason why and it's been said several times and, actually, was emphasized by the Bush campaign in 2000. McCain is old, in poor health and according to Bush's camp in 2000 ... potentially senile. Well, I never thought the guy was senile. But he is in poor health and elderly. So to think the vice presidential picks wouldn't come into play this time because they've really never mattered too much in the past is ridiculous.Truly, I was concerned and curious who McCain and Obama would select as their running mates and while I have been fairly certain how I would vote for some time now, it wouldn't be beyond me to change my mind. I mean, McCain is old. And, well, there is a color issue at play with Obama and this country still has whack jobs and always will. When Obama selected Biden, I felt secure. When McCain selected Palin, I really didn't. And nothing she has done has changed my mind. I disagreed with the bulk of her political views. I thought she did give a good public speech. But this whole deal with McCain's camp saying she'll talk when she's ready to talk ... that's does her completely in for me. I am not completely naive. I realize pretty much all national politicians have handlers. But this is too much.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 7 months ago

Palin has offended community organizers on all sides of the aisle as did Giuliani.Palin has a smart ass mouth like Bush which has NOT done the USA well over the last 8 years.Why would anyone regardless of party want another person who speaks before thinking anywhere near a microphone representing the USA? This lady is irresponsible as was evident by her insensitive nationwide announcement of her young daughter being pregnant.Mocking community organizers as unimportant people is reckless behavior much like McCain and Bush display. The country needs people who are more thoughtful,pragmatic diplomatic and sensitive to others. Obama definitely fulfills those qualities.VOTE OBAMA 2008 YES!

jmadison 5 years, 7 months ago

If Governor Palin is a bad candidate, it will come out over the next 55 days, with a debate and interviews that she will do.I trust the electorate to choose our governance over the rantings of the inside the Beltway crowd.

tolawdjk 5 years, 7 months ago

That does include Bush/Cheney.DailyKos can scream all it wants, but at the end of the day, it's Bush's signature on the document and Bush's face on the TV.If Cheney is the stronger individual, that says more about Bush and his Presidency than it does about the office of the Vice President.What I want to immediately understand is if the GOP is currently proposing the same conditions? Is Palin becoming the face and voice of this ticket? If so, why? Is that a tacit acknowledgement that McCain is unelectable without a different face? Why is the DNC spending so much time worrying about a VP? Sure, do the research, vet her credentials, but move the hell on and worry about getting your guy elected and stop worrying about not getting the other guy elected.Where are the frackin' -issues- discussions? Where are the plans? The policy discussions? This election cycle has turned into who not to elected rather than who can and will lead. Who gives a rat's hairy armpit if Obama ment Palin when he said lipstick on a pig or not. Does it really matter what his intent was? Right now he's just a senator from IL and you are just the Gov of Alaska. What are you going to do when Osama calls you a pig from Pakistan? What are you going to do when Russia seeks the overthrow of a democratically elected ally on terror?We are worried about cosmestics for farm animals and not discussing what is going to power the lights 15 years from now or how we are going to have money to pay for it. No one has discussed the fact there are kids "graduating" high school that couldn't point to Alaska on map if they were given 10 chances to get it right.History is going to look back on 20 years of Bush/Clinton/Bush as being more divisive to the nation than the 30 years prior to the Civil War with no Lincoln in sight to unify a people. Hell, I don't even think we have a Taft to lead us anymore.

1029 5 years, 7 months ago

Can someone cut and paste Obama's remark about "clinging to guns"? Apparently some people still haven't read the speech in its entirety and don't understand the context of the remark. Works great for a Republican propaganda soundbite, though.

ese 5 years, 7 months ago

Obama leaves the script and talks about 57 states, marches on Selma, pigs/lipstick, and insinuates that whites cling to religion and guns.

supertrampofkansas 5 years, 7 months ago

Left-handed,Veracity? Uh do you want to point out where even just one line of Palin's speech was "ad-libbed"? Do you even understand what ad-libbed means? Even if the teleprompter malfunctioned (and there are eyewitness accounts from the press that it did not and a top campaign official said there was no major problems with it), don't you think the fact that Palin is simply reciting her speech everywhere she goes makes your "ad-libbed" claim just a little dubious? It is ok to defend your candidate Left-Handed. Just might want to be careful about how you use the words inane and veracity. Those type of terms always come back and bite your arse.

logicsound04 5 years, 7 months ago

"The VP is not the focus here"----------------------Perhaps you should tell that to the Republicans. They seem to be using her to carry a once left-for-dead presidential campaign.Plus, there's the fact that of the 4 people on the two presidential tickets, Palin is by far the least well-known, the one with the most proving to do. McCain, Obama, and Biden have been under the scrutiny of the public eye for months, years. Palin, not so much.

1029 5 years, 7 months ago

If "Libs" are scared of Palin it's because her selection--and the excitement that followed among suburban Christians, the undereducated, and the uninformed--is reminding them how stupid the average American really is. Republicans have always relied on the idea that Americans are stupid--"Y'all like 'low taxes' and 'small government' don't you?". Palin's selection is entirely based on the idea that Americans--particularly women--are stupid enough to not even recognize that she is deceptive and unqualified, or that she is absolutely in no way supportive of gender equality and is by no means the reformer and crusader that she makes herself out to be. "Libs" are fine with Palin's selection, but many still have that inevitable moment of fear everytime they see some dumb affluent suburban woman being interviewed after a Palin appearance saying things like "Sarah Palin is totally awesome. She is such a normal person and she has a family--which is something I can relate to" (woman being interviewed smiles at the kid she is holding in her arms). Americans are not as stupid as Palin's selection tries to prove, and the hype will die down more and more everytime she is forced to attempt to answer questions about issues she really knows nothing about.

Confrontation 5 years, 7 months ago

Confrontation 5 years, 7 months ago

I have no fear of Palin, STupidNazi. I think she's a joke. I also find it funny that repubs are proud that she supposedly ad-libbed part of that speech. Her speech was so pathetic, that I'd think she'd want to blame someone else (Dubya's writer) for it. All she did in her speech was bash other people. She didn't talk about any real issues. She's so inexperienced that I'm pretty sure she wrote her own speech. Hockey and babies, those are her specialities.

duplenty 5 years, 7 months ago

"I'm sorry, but in every election I have participated in, the VP has been nothing more than a mouthpiece for his boss."Does that include Bush/Cheney?

S0uPnAzi 5 years, 7 months ago

Confrontation is a living, breathing example of the left's fear of Sarah Palin. I find myself agreeing with tolawdjk in the observation "I'm sorry, but in every election I have participated in, the VP has been nothing more than a mouthpiece for his boss. Maybe cast the deciding vote in a Senate now and then, go do a photo op here and there."The VP is not the focus here, but all the lefties seem to want to make it that way, since they are so desperate. The simple question is, why is this even newsworthy? We'll hear from Sarah Palin soon enough.

Melinda Black 5 years, 7 months ago

Good Lord, I feel like I'm watching a "Northern Exposure" reality show. What a spectacle. On a serious note, I'm a bit concerned about Palin's ability to deal with foreign heads of state if she can't hold her own with the media. She's a heartbeat away from being President. This is significant given that McCain isn't known for his spotless bill of health or youth.Crying "sexism" may scare off reporters but it isn't going to work if you are dealing with Putin. Toughen up sister.

duplenty 5 years, 7 months ago

"When the teleprompter malfunctioned during her big speech she ad-libbed the most memorable parts of the speech."Except...that never happened."Perhaps there were moments where it scrolled slightly past her exact point in the speech. But I was sitting in the press section next to the stage, within easy eyeshot of the teleprompter. I frequently looked up at the machine, and there was no serious malfunction. A top convention planner confirms this morning that there were no major problems."http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0908/The_teleprompter_did_not_break.htmlThe GOP even admitted that the teleprompter worked fine. And she had a hard copy of the speech.I'm not denying that she did a great job. But the lengths to which you wingers will go to create myths about these people is...astonishing.

supertrampofkansas 5 years, 7 months ago

"McCain campaign manager Rick Davis has said that Palin will "agree to an interview when we think it's time and when she feels comfortable doing it."" - Article aboveWow. And this is the person you want to be the Vice President of the United States, when "she feels comfortable doing it". I suspect we will be hearing that statement over and over, again and again ad naseum. I do realize that she is not the presidential candidate but with McCain's age and family medical history, there is more than just a passing possibility that Palin could become our POTUS. I'm with Mr. Koch myself. "She scares the h3ll out of me." - former New York Mayor Ed Koch.

avoice 5 years, 7 months ago

I can't believe that the American public is going to be gullible enough to let this parading of superficial "star power" take us down the same road we've already traveled. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Well what does it mean if we let them fool us three times? Just when it seemed we'd learned our lesson from getting fooled by everyone's beer buddy in 2000, then voting the goon in again in 2004, now we're going to let the puppeteers behind the GOP fool us into voting for a one-time maverick who has, over the past two years, proven how he's now in the pocket of the GOP string-pullers. And just in case the great war hero can't pull that off, we need a former beauty queen/jock/tough gal/Christian mom to engage our emotions, be like a sister to everyone, and totally distract us from what we're going to get from our government if we let the GOP get their latest puppets into office. And who runs the GOP? Obviously, by evidence of the policies that have governed our economy over the past 8 years, the slim slice of our population that are the wealthiest already. Why are we being so dumb? Let's just shoot our feet, bandage them up and get back on the assembly line.

logicsound04 5 years, 7 months ago

"And this different from what any other candidate does how?" - Tommy Boy---------------Well, maybe you missed it in the article:[By comparison, her Democratic counterpart, Joe Biden, has been campaigning on his own for weeks, at times taking questions from audiences. He was interviewed on NBC's "Meet the Press" Sunday.]Or, you could take a look at your own post:"Obama just appeared on O'Reilly"So, it appears Palin is, in fact, the only candidate who is asking for votes without providing any reason for WHY those votes should go to her.It just makes me laugh when I think of how Palin has been compared to Hillary Clinton. Clinton wouldn't stand for the notion of being used as a mouthpiece and nothing more. If Palin is such a strong presence on the ticket, then why is the campaign refusing to allow her to show her strength regarding the issues and her "ability to lead"?

Left_handed 5 years, 7 months ago

Palin can't think fast enough on her feet? She had never used a teleprompter for a speech before the RNC convention. When the teleprompter malfunctioned during her big speech she ad-libbed the most memorable parts of the speech.Keep talking, 'tation, maybe you'll eventually convince yourself of the veracity of your inane statements.

Confrontation 5 years, 7 months ago

Confrontation 5 years, 7 months ago

What will sleazy Elisabeth Hasselbeck say about this? She just bashed Michelle Obama for not taking questions.

tolawdjk 5 years, 7 months ago

Tom,While I am not an expert on the Alaska political spectrum, an 80% approval rating there seems overly inflated. I have known a dozen or so Alaskan's in my life and everyone one of them was pretty much in the mindset of "leave me alone, don't take my stuff and stay out of my personal business and we'll all get along fine." Hearing from them it's not exactly a screaming hotbed of liberal activism.So when I hear 80% approval there I have to wonder, what does that translate into the lower 48? Is it the same as 80% in Kansas? 80% in California? If someone told you that a nominee from your opposing political view had a 80% approval rating from Wisconsin would that have any bearing on how you voted?As to the Obama camp sending a team of lawyers there to investigate, good for them. Someone has to mine the data. Now, if we the people can just filter out the signal from the noise when it is broadcast. So far, in my opinion, she seems like every other politician, Obama and Biden included. By that I mean once power is grabbed, favors are paid, causes are advanced, excuses are thinnly veiled.Conversely, what the hell has Obama done. Two weeks since hs convention and I haven't seen plan one out of his camp. Sir, you got the nod, now tell me what you are going to do with it. Where is an energy plan that makes sense? Where is an economic model for getting us out of 400 billion deficit announced yesterday.Both parties seem hell bent on telling me what the other will do but damn short on telling me on what -they- will do. When I'm looking to $5 on lunch I don't go to one place and ask them what the other guy will give me for my $5, I expect them to tell me what goods and services I can expect from them. Why have we as American's come to accept a different standard from our elected officials.Sometimes I wonder if we shouldn't have thanked the Brit's for burning DC back in 1812.

ese 5 years, 7 months ago

That bribe was initiated back in the 70's by the liberals.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 7 months ago

"Yesterday's Wall Street Journal"A well known "libral" newspaper (sarcasm.)

JohnBrown 5 years, 7 months ago

Obviously, if Palin isn't ready to talk to reporters on her own, then Palin is NOT ready to lead. Over this past weekend I was accused of being a liar in this forum for saying Palin was not telling the truth about her "Bridge to Nowhere" spiel. Yesterday's Wall Street Journal ran a headline "Record Contradicts Palin's 'Bridge' Claim." The release also points out that the independent PolitiFact.com came to the same conclusion.Palin isn't ready, and out of the starting gate she starts lying to us.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 7 months ago

"Its good they have representation but you will never win the presidency with the atheist, gay, abortionist, transgender, black liberation, and feminist coalition."I take it you prefer the "representation" that the Germans gave these demographics back in the 30's and 40's.

invictus 5 years, 7 months ago

If the Democrats loose this election they need to reorganize. They should toy with idea of representing the American people. It's a radical idea but it has worked for the Republicans. Or they can keep playing the demographics game and marginalizing whites, Christians, men, Latinos and gun owners. They have set themselves up to permanently represent the minority of Americans. Its good they have representation but you will never win the presidency with the atheist, gay, abortionist, transgender, black liberation, and feminist coalition.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 7 months ago

tolawdjk-"Since the convention, the GOP is giving me the message that "We know we couldn't get your vote with our 1st pick, but just look who we found here!""That pretty well sums it up.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 7 months ago

"I think Palin's 80% approval rating in AK scares the left."Do you think her bribing every person in the State to the tune of $1200 additional a year has anything to do with that?

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 7 months ago

The far-left hold gay rights and abortion, those two issues, so close to heart, they fear a Palin. Personally, I wish the GOP would back off from the abortion issue and more than ever, gaurantee another Republican win. Looks like it doesn't matter though, the Dems are in the process of effectively blowing it again. I told you Howard Dean was the wrong guy to head the party.

sfjayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

I think they are afraid that someone might ask her how many homes she owns. Im sure her answer will include whatever gods will is.

duplenty 5 years, 7 months ago

"Funny how the Libs called GW an idiot when he stumbled through his speeches, ain't it."Uh huh. Would you care to compile a list of moronic things that Obama has said, and compare it to W's list?

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 7 months ago

And this different from what any other candidate does how?How many people steer clear of Fox News to avoid an interview that will expose what the liberal media softballs? Obama just appeared on O'Reilly and more than ever, the guy is just a joke in my mind from his answers and attempts to hide his real views and associations.I think Palin's 80% approval rating in AK scares the left.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

tolawdjk: "As an undecided voter, I can't help but notice that now the choices offered to me appear to be Palin or Obama."Remarkable, isn't it, that even in light of her dubious qualifications as a leader, Sarah still outshines... what's his name...?

tolawdjk 5 years, 7 months ago

As an undecided voter, I can't help but notice that now the choices offered to me appear to be Palin or Obama.It's almost as if we would now be electing Palin to the VP and, "oh, by the way" McCain is your President as well.I'm sorry, but in every election I have participated in, the VP has been nothing more than a mouthpiece for his boss. Maybe cast the deciding vote in a Senate now and then, go do a photo op here and there.Since the convention, the GOP is giving me the message that "We know we couldn't get your vote with our 1st pick, but just look who we found here!"I'm not sure which is worse, being pandered to by the GOP or the tired message of "everything that is bad from the last 8 years...from the war to Britney Spear's MTV music award appearance...is the fault of the Bush white house. We are going to change that. We aren't sure how, but we know we will and it will probably cost you something."

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 7 months ago

"i'd still like to know why Palin scares you Libs so much. Maybe it's because you realize Obama + Biden = second place."Looks like it's the McCain campaign that is scared of her-- or at least scared of her putting her foot in her mouth while displaying her ignorance-- otherwise, why the muzzle?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 7 months ago

"McCain campaign manager Rick Davis has said that Palin will "agree to an interview when we think it's time and when she feels comfortable doing it.""Probably sometime in late November.

beobachter 5 years, 7 months ago

Actually Palin is performing like a good little Christian wife. The only opinions allowed are her husbands. In this case her political mate, McSame. Until she is fully indoctrinated with his thoughts and ideas she's not allowed to talk in public.

george_nye 5 years, 7 months ago

MCwzMC 5 years, 7 months ago

The ideologues are really nailing the hard hitting issues this morning. Any bets on how many times the terms "liberal" and "conservative" will be thrown around pejoratively in this thread (typically as a substitute for true critical thought)?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 7 months ago

"Democrats understand Sarah Palin is a formidable political force who has upset the Obama victory plan. The latest Washington Post/ABC Poll shows John McCain taking a 12-point lead over Barack Obama among white women, a reversal of Mr. Obama's eight-point lead last month.It's no surprise, then, that Democrats have airdropped a mini-army of 30 lawyers, investigators and opposition researchers into Anchorage, the state capital Juneau and Mrs. Palin's hometown of Wasilla to dig into her record and background. My sources report the first wave arrived in Anchorage less than 24 hours after John McCain selected her on August 29."http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122098190668515511.html?mod=rss_opinion_main

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

"McCain campaign manager Rick Davis has said that Palin will "agree to an interview when we think it's time and when she feels comfortable doing it."That's the sort of readiness you want from someone second in command, someone who could be thrust into the leadership position at any moment.Sarah Palin... canned tuna.

Jim Phillips 5 years, 7 months ago

jaywalker 5 years, 7 months ago

"How long will her "education and training" take before they allow her to be freely and openly interviewed.."How 'bout longer than 2 weeks? Another brilliant, non-agenda piece from the AP. "Just the facts", riiiiiight. I can't blame her for holding back right now. I heard BO's interview with Stephanopolous (sp?) last week. Man, he sure does struggle without that teleprompter. That was a rumblin, bumblin, stumblin piece o' work, including a slip of the tongue reference to his "muslim faith". It was an honest mistake, a lot like McCain's Iraq/Pakistan reference. Goes to show even the best orators can get tongue tied.

Jim Phillips 5 years, 7 months ago

SouthSide 5 years, 7 months ago

Why are Palin's cigar-smoking bosses not allowing her to speak apart from their script that she already read at the convention? Why the cloak of secrecy around this inexperienced unknown entity with a history of tax and spend? What are they afraid of? How long will her "education and training" take before they allow her to be freely and openly interviewed by the patriotic American people (and not a staged interview on Fox News, the media arm of the right wing)?