Letters to the Editor

Post office lines

September 4, 2008

To the editor:

I'm just curious as to why on the Saturday before Labor Day there would be ONE employee working at the Lawrence post office? After standing in line for well over 35 minutes, the line snaked from the front counter through the lobby and to the front doors. A little girl who was in line with her mother had to go to the bathroom, but was told there were no public restrooms. (Well, if you're gonna keep people waiting so long - and yes, kids often accompany their parents on postal errands - then you should probably start providing them).

When I finally got up to the counter, behold!, a second employee finally came out of the back. This kind of nonchalance toward customers is ridiculous and not appreciated.

Sharon Riley,
Lawrence

Comments

KS 6 years, 6 months ago

Sharon - They learned from Lew. They are saving money so they can pay the bosses the big bonuses at the end of the year.

Laura Watkins 6 years, 6 months ago

vavs0929 (Anonymous) says:hmmm maybe get off your butt and mail things during the week instead of waiting till the last minute before a holiday-its not like the mail is going anywhere after saturday-just gonna sit in another post office or on a truck till Tuesday.----------------------------------------------------------------------yeah....see, SOME PEOPLE have jobs during the week and the only day they can get to the post office is saturday. sorry if you can't relate.

dipweed 6 years, 6 months ago

Maybe the Journal-World could do a story on post office operations and get some of these questions answered. How about it J-W?

simplyamazed 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm sure if the truth were to be known, the reason for short staffing would have to do with the fact that more & more people are not using the mail system for regular mail these days. They use email instead of snail mail. This has caused a reduction in the funds that the US Postal Service gets and therefore requires less coverage of manhours to meet the needs of the ones who still use their service. I am sure that the postmaster has someone else telling her how to staff the counters and how much she is allowed to use the budget line item. If she uses less now, then she can have more for the times we will use it like around the year end holidays. It is a very tough situation for her to determine where and how to use manhours because she never knows when there will be a bigger influx of mailings other than around the end of the year holidays. Give her a break, she can only do what is allowed to do within the budget. I wouldn't want her job because there is never a time when everyone is happy about their service. That's why we should be happy we have choices like UPS, FedEx, DHL, and email. I have learned to use the other choices more because my mail is delivered by rural carriers which have nothing to do with being a federal employee and they don't care where they deliver my mail to. My mail goes to neighbors mailboxes and people with addresses no where like mine miles away from my house on a regular basis. I have complained but it does no good. They are paid by the piece of mail they deliver not by accuracy. I am lucky if I get anything delivered correctly. But it does cause me to see my neighbors on a regular basis to exchange the mismailed parcels and have created better friendships along the way. Maybe we should be happy that we do still have the services of a live person at the post office and that it has not gone totally automated as it probably will in the near future. This will force everyone to be a little more mindful of what we had when there were at least one or two running the counter the best they could. The automated process will soon come and there will really be complainers then. Enjoy the lines and get to know fellow towns people better. Networking is a great tool for those who take advantage of it. Always being mad about something is not good for the soul but making the best of the situation can be rewarding.

BrianR 6 years, 6 months ago

Bowhunter99 (Anonymous) says:"because of union rules:."This made me laugh because I realized how useless bifocals can be for things at the top of the screen. I looked at your comment and thought, "What the hell are onion rules."

samsnewplace 6 years, 6 months ago

Sharon thank you for writing something that has been a HUGE pet peeve of mine for a very long time now. I avoid the post office at all costs, but unfortunately there are rare times I need to send something or pick up something. You can always plan on there just being one person most of the time and a minimum of 30 minutes. This is any day, any time and not just on saturday. The postal dept. has also adapted to the we could care less attitude that all the other stores have had for some time now. We need them and they know it and if it takes them 5 minutes per person or 10 minutes, they could care less about the 25 others waiting in an endless line. It is a frustration I try to avoid.

Laura Wilson 6 years, 6 months ago

Yes the lines are long but this is due mostly to customers not being prepared! Get your packages and letters etc. all ready to go and don't make the postal person help you fill out everything and package up your items. I go to the post office two or three times a week and my packages are all ready. It takes no time at all once I'm at the counter. Also, between 4:30 and 5:30 there is never less than two people working the counter. There are usually at least three. I recommend getting there at 8:00 in the morning, there are hardly ever any lines then. I don't know anything about Raney but all the counter employees are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. They do whatever they can to help the customers. It's unfortunate that a lot of it is spent packaging and helping fill out forms--things that could easily be done by the customer before they get in line.

Alison Roberts 6 years, 6 months ago

hmmm maybe get off your butt and mail things during the week instead of waiting till the last minute before a holiday--its not like the mail is going anywhere after saturday--just gonna sit in another post office or on a truck till Tuesday.

lawrencian 6 years, 6 months ago

Hawk, you might not like Judy Raney, but she is very helpful and friendly. I had to work with her with a missing expedited passport, and she worked late into the evening and then checked on it again before 6 a.m. and arranged for us to pick it up at the postal distribution center in Kansas City on our way to the airport. If she had not worked so hard on it, my friend would have missed her very important flight.

acg 6 years, 6 months ago

Imagine that, bowhunter spouting off about more crap he knows nothing about. The union has no say so in staffing of the post office. Just because the employees of the post office are communication workers of america members has no bearing on who sets the schedule at the office. All the CWA does is protect their bargaining agreements and represent them during grievance. What a douche.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 6 months ago

We truly live in the lap of luxury when our greatest complaint is "long lines".

hipper_than_hip 6 years, 6 months ago

Keep in mind that Judy Raney is just a bureaucrat, and as such, she really adds no value to the post office.Mike Baron is the real brain behind the Lawrence post office, and if you need to get something done, talk to Mike.

Charles L Bloss Jr 6 years, 6 months ago

P.S. Our large box, in a very rural small town of about 800 people, now costs us $ 98 a year. Now that is insane. Thank you, Lynn

Charles L Bloss Jr 6 years, 6 months ago

Yet the service gets worse, the mail takes longer and gets lost frequently, and every time we turn around stamps go up. As much as I detest government control of anything, I think the post office is begging for government control NOW. It is out of control. Thank you, Lynn

smalls2001 6 years, 6 months ago

I recommend using the UPS store. They mail things UPS or USPS depending on what you have. If you have a package they help you pack it and seal it and they are more helpful and friendly. They are also open a lot later for the working folks during the week.