Letters to the Editor

Self-awareness

October 25, 2008

To the editor:

Sheldon Wilson's letter contending that people "believe in" evolution is similar to saying people "believe in" germs or the solar system. Sadly, when we are ignorant, willful or otherwise, everything is reduced to belief.

Wilson doesn't know and doesn't want to know that the physical world contradicts certain irrational beliefs to which he seems to be emotionally addicted. But the real problem here is not evolution; it is a problem of self-awareness.

Whether in Jerusalem, Mecca, Rome, Benares, Salt Lake City or wherever, people are addicted to the illusion that by worshipping their own moral traditions, their own books, their own rituals, their own inner thoughts, their own feelings, they are actually worshipping God. And if you "own" "God" and others don't, then they can only be "evil" and thus deserving of discrimination or punishment.

In fact, although such irrational beliefs promote tribal solidarity, they are a pact with the "devil" for they undermine global civilization and trivialize the concept of God. Religious traditions do contain much wisdom, but like everything else, if they don't evolve with the times, they will become increasingly obsolete and finally, extinct.

Eric Smith,
Lawrence

Comments

SouthSide 5 years, 5 months ago

Yes, but Quakers, Unity and liberal religionists (Christian and other) all legitimatize the irrational in traditional religions and further enable their pushy behavior. Religions based in the Bronze Age and Iron Age have little to contribute to modern society, and what is a contribution is canceled by the damage done.

i_tching 5 years, 5 months ago

Habits. The worse they are, the more difficult they are to break. Religion is nothing but a really bad habit.

jafs 5 years, 5 months ago

Donnuts,I generally agree, but have found both the Quakers and Unity churches to be more open/affirming/tolerant of freedom/diversity/individual thought.Good luck!

Donnuts 5 years, 5 months ago

I think tomorrow I will just go down ninth street and worship with the southern baptists then. I sure can't wait for their "outreach program" to find me. Maybe I will get done to me what one of them did to someone else... or worse.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZz_Q-qYPJchttps://www.accesskansas.org/ssrv-registered-offender/searchName.do;jsessionid=B7B6B5373FF980FFD5F4C450A06

Donnuts 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't want to be led like a sheep through my consciousness. I find that my own "inner thoughts" and 'deepest feelings' laced with "tradition" lead me in much a different direction than the people I seem to be around, whether I want to bask in some preacher/ pastor's words and feed off the pasture like a flock of loyal sheep that will do anything their leader says. I find it hard to stay away from instances like Jim Jones with this image. I have been in a multitude of churches searching for something inate in human nature and capacity that I have never found. In fact I have found that many times the ministers are rather sinister in what they want us to believe and find that there is much hypocrisy and find no reason to ever join a church and find that my colleagues in science agree much with me.I was raised in a family that believed strongly in church but found that the vast majority of christians or other churches I have no need for and don't really think there is a need to find a good pastor. I figure if they were a really good pastor they could find me, but I find that the ones that somehow find me aren't any good at all.

Jaylee 5 years, 5 months ago

"people are addicted to the illusion that by worshipping their own moral traditions, their own books, their own rituals, their own inner thoughts, their own feelings, they are actually worshipping God."It is so tragic, so ironic, that so many who seek a meaningful concept of God lose themselves instead in superstition and cultural self-worship."you, eric, are my inner thought.haha at least in this instance.this concept is what led me away from "church", in general, for years. i felt like too many people just said the believed or thought something because the church told them they did. also too many people EITHER dont realize that if practicing religion is really important in your life and you have beliefs other than what your church has, you can leave for another church that follows a closer line OR.they know but are just too stubborn to leave it.you gotta find a good preacher too!!now that im thinking about the article i feel like i may have misinterpreted and eric just wanted people to lighten up. oh well

Ray Parker 5 years, 5 months ago

Every demon in Hell believes that God exists, and trembles.