Letters to the Editor

Ballot postage

October 25, 2008

To the editor:

Mail-in ballots. Not enough postage? Well, says Douglas County, just take your envelopes to any post office and have the envelope weighed. Sounds great, BUT a lot of mail-in ballots are for people who are homebound, have health problems, cannot stand in lines, or work the same hours as the post office.

Maybe if the powers-to-be would just include the price of postage on the information sheet they send out with the ballots it would help the county save thousands of dollars. We would have been happy to pay for the extra postage if we had known how much. The mailing envelopes did have a box stating "put stamp here" and that is just what we did.

Geri Shoger,
Lawrence

Comments

mebeingme 5 years, 5 months ago

All advanced ballots that go out of the Jefferson County Election office have an instruction sheet that clearly (in very large print) states that the return postage is $1.00. I don't know what is on the instruction sheet from other counties.

mwwkw 5 years, 5 months ago

this makes me SO happy that i (was able to and) went down to the courthouse and voted in person. seriously, it was the easiest thing in the world. but still -- my 93 y/o grandmother cannot wait in line to vote and does her voting by mail and it would be VERY VERY nice if it were just flat-out FREE! Or if they post-office allowed all 'ballot envelopes' to go through at 41 cents -- or is it 42 cents now? Crikey, why don't they just make it 70 cents and then leave it alone for a few years instead of this penny at a time crap. (Actually, yes, I know they can't offically raise it more than a little at time b/c it's tied to COLA index or soemthing)(.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 5 months ago

Why didnt the envelope have the amount printed that is need for normal delivery. Doesnt the county know how much the postage would be? Is postage different in Douglas county than other counties? Probably? Everything is different here.Dumb mode is the method of operandus.

smarty_pants 5 years, 5 months ago

Please tell me--what is the ballot postage? I've got my completed ballot sitting here, and I don't know how many stamps to put on it. It feels pretty light--I was thinking 2 first class stamps. I'd love it if I didn't have to go to the post office.

seriouscat 5 years, 5 months ago

Classclown and Boston Corbett your humor has been weighed and has been found wanting. This was a problem for a lot of people simply because if a post is bigger than a letter the amount of postage is variable depending upon its weight. The fact that Douglas County simply told people to go to the post office and have the ballot weighed shows how dense officials can be. Folks opt for the mail-in ballot specifically to AVOID this type of inconvenience. Since the ballot is going to weigh the same for everyone using it I see no reason why that information can't be included. If the post-office or election commission does in fact have a legitimate reason why they can't simply tell people "ballot postage must be X dollars and cents", then that is an issue which should be addressed and fixed before the next election.

classclown 5 years, 5 months ago

Doesn't requiring postage to mail in a ballot amount to a poll tax? Some people like to argue that requiring ID to vote amounts to a poll tax since getting an ID costs slightly more than the amount of postage necessary to mail in the ballot. Therefore having to pay for the ballot to be mailed in should be the same. Where are the arguments that some people are too poor, too old, too stupid, too fictional, too dead, or what have you to be able to affix postage to a mail in ballot? We have them for the ID issue. Give equal time to this critical issue as well.It's disenfranchisement I tell you!