Archive for Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sweet irony

October 23, 2008

To the editor:

This is to the people who keep vandalizing and stealing Obama yard signs from Crestline Drive.

It is not easy to understand why anyone would vandalize a yard sign. You have now done it twice to our signs.

What you don't realize, however, is that you only serve to strengthen our support for this change in America. First, you tore one sign. We put up two. This time, you stole two signs. We've put up four. And your vandalism has only served to raise more money for the Obama campaign.

We can outlast you. And the more you attack our support, the more our support grows. Sweet irony, indeed.

Ian Cahir,
Lawrence

Comments

notajayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

"hand, cupped, to ear:."Might want to use it to guard your wallet...

Confrontation 6 years, 2 months ago

Ahhh, the childish idiots of the McCain campaign. There's nothing positive about your candidate, so you have to do negative things against the better candidate, Obama. Must be sad to be so pathetic.

Trobs 6 years, 2 months ago

Yes. Someone shot up their windows just because. Had nothing to do with politics. Sorta like when I was called a racist to my face because I don't support Obama. Had nothing to do with the politics, I just obviously hate black guys right?Both sides are guilty of it. I read an article a few weeks ago talking about how this has become one of the most ruthless presidential campaigns in a long long time. Don't support Obama? RACISTDon't support McCain? SOCIALISTVoting third party? Are you stupid? You could ruin the vote!Sheeple, line begins to the left.

Jason Bailey 6 years, 2 months ago

@Confrontation: Just pointing out that we're jumping to conclusions in saying that McCain supporters are doing this. Must have hit a nerve to get you so riled up.What's wrong, don't like a reference to socialism when the truth is staring you in the face?

Jason Bailey 6 years, 2 months ago

How do you know it's Obama-haters doing this? Perhaps Ian has 3 or 4 of these signs in his front yard and the Obama supporters are simply implementing their beloved leader's policies early? "From those according to their ability, to those according to their need."Maybe the Obama signs are simply being redistributed to those less fortunate -- so it's all good.

Confrontation 6 years, 2 months ago

Like I said, you can really see the lack of intelligence from the McSame supporters. Right, jason2007?

Jaylee 6 years, 2 months ago

obama signs are like $10.its true that its either some really stupid haters or some really smart supporters attempting to sell more signs. either way, its a pain in teh butt ian, but cheers to you for your resilience!!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

Current electoral summary...Obama: 286Safe: 258Leaning: 28Tossups: 95( 270 to WIN ) hand, cupped, to ear....

Jason Bailey 6 years, 2 months ago

@Rachelisacancer: (weird name, by the way unless your nemesis is named Rachel) The concept of socialism is not hard to understand. In fact, it's much more straight-forward than Capitalism. The hippie communes of the 60's is a perfect example of socialism. Nazi Germany is socialism (not the blood-thirsty killing -- I'm talking about their economy and government involvement in the lives of people; the actual government itself was fascist). The original Puritan colony was socialist until their leader realized that many of the people would do nothing all day to contribute to the colony and suck off the hard work of others.That's socialism!If "Spreading the wealth" isn't socialism, I don't know what is.

kansas778 6 years, 2 months ago

rachaelisa--what, then, is the difference between a socialist and Obama?

Jason Bailey 6 years, 2 months ago

@Rachel: I get it now....a little slow today. You're not really interested in me answering your question, you're just upset that I equated your Messiah to a socialist.Ok, your cathartic moment to refresh your blind belief that Change for change and hope for change, er, something is an actual campaign slogan that people for change can believe and hope in.

labmonkey 6 years, 2 months ago

Damn Bob Barr supporters. They should be jailed!

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 2 months ago

Try pointing a security camera that direction. You might be able to ID them. Here's a neat little alarm idea:http://www.gearbits.com/archives/2008/10/how_to_alarm_yo.html

sdinges 6 years, 2 months ago

My neighbor across the street has a yard full of various liberal signs, but every night someone comes and kicks Nancy Boyda down.I don't understand why they hate poor Boyda so much, but give Transit and Obama the pass.

ilovelucy 6 years, 2 months ago

Last weekend, Obama signs from west Lawrence were stolen. I should know, I had one stolen myself.Interestingly enough, upon driving around the neighborhood, I saw all McCain signs intact.It's asinine and childish for either side to do this, especially repeatedly.

arizonajh 6 years, 2 months ago

ese (Anonymous) says: At least you are not being treated like homes with McCain/Palin signs.longwood, Fla. - The home of a Central Florida Republican headquarters manager was shot up and damaged over his support of Sen. John McCain, the man told police.My parents had a car that had the windows shot out in rural Tongie, must have been because of my moms Obama signs....oh wait it was just the 13 year old kid next door who was given a 410 shotgun for his birthday and thought that since he didn't see anyone using the car he'd use it for a target. Maybe this guy had a neighbor kid with a new BB gun and is a bad shot. Unless all the houses with McCain signs and not Obamas signs were "shot up" I think his conclusions are at least suspect. But look you only had to go 1300 miles away to find a story to counter the writers concern.

rachaelisacancer 6 years, 2 months ago

Jason2007 - Do you know what socialism is? It seems you, like the McCain campaign and all those whining about "spreading the wealth" don't.

Ken Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

They got my Obama sign on Wellington last weekend.

iancahir 6 years, 2 months ago

I know they are anti-Obama because they leave the other signs in my yard... and all along Crestline ... alone. They leave the yes on transit, the Slattery, the Boyda. All of them. They only take Obama signs.The intent is pretty clear.

rachaelisacancer 6 years, 2 months ago

Jason2007 and kansas 778 - Taxes pay for nearly everything that happens in this country. Every time a bridge is built, every time a school is funded - the wealth is being spread around. The government is taking your wealth, my wealth, a neighbor's wealth and spreading it around for the greater good. Historicially those who have more have nearly always paid more. Beyond that - this whole "socialist" fiasco was started by Joe the Plumber - who doesn't earn enough money to buy the company that wouldn't make enough money to put him in a higher tax bracket and "spread the wealth" anyhow. He makes $40,000 a year - meaning Obama's tax policies won't hurt him and McCain won't help him. It's simple.I'm not offended if you call Obama a socialist (though he's not) because I think socialism is a great idea. Seems to work well for people in Sweden, Venezuela and even Cuba. And yes, I was interested in you answering my question; I simply didn't have time to sit around and troll on the message board any longer. I have no nemisis; my name is Rachael, my astrological sign is Cancer (which according to the History channel means nothing) and it's an old moniker. I believe I have refuted your argument. You have no means to soundly propose that Obama is a socialist. I rather doubt you or anyone else on this board makes more than a quarter of a million a year - so regardless of your fervent desire to avoid "spreading the wealth" you really shouldn't worry yourself. Your wealth shall not be spread. Have a great day.

Jason Bailey 6 years, 2 months ago

@Rachel: Oh wow. I completely forgot to follow up on this thread and missed one of the greatest home-run pitches ever lobbed my way. Hope it's not too late to win the game here.You said, "Taxes pay for nearly everything that happens in this country. Every time a bridge is built, every time a school is funded - the wealth is being spread around. The government is taking your wealth, my wealth, a neighbor's wealth and spreading it around for the greater good."The difference between what you said and pure socialism is stark. I get a service when a bridge is built because I use the roads. I do not agree with government funded education so that's a bad example to use to against a pure conservative. I'll fight that every day of the week (BTW, our kids go to a private school and I pay big bucks each month for it...you're off the hook for my kids' education).Obama has said repeatedly that he'd take money from those that achieve to give to those that have done nothing to earn it...just to give them a kick start or a way to succeed. Those that make $250k and above are rich enough to hire tax professionals who will shelter their money. When that happens, who will have to pay for these socialist programs? Me because I can't afford the pros. He makes promises that he'll never keep. My child tax breaks, tax cuts, and other deductions are going to evaporate. Mark my words...I and everyone else below $250k but making above poverty will pay for his socialism.I can give plenty of other examples...would like more? I'm probably too late coming back to the party; either that or you're busy reporting me to the NEA because I'm one of those radical nutjobs that doesn't have his kids plugged into the public education system.Trust me...if I could, I'd go back in time and make darn sure the 16th Amendment never got passed.