Archive for Thursday, October 23, 2008

Palin considers herself intellectual

October 23, 2008

— Does vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin consider herself intellectual? You betcha!

"And you have to be up on not only current events, but you have to understand the foundation of the issues that you're working on," Palin said in an interview with People magazine. "You can't just go on what is presented you."

Although Palin didn't name a single newspaper or magazine when CBS News anchor Katie Couric asked where she got her information, the Alaska governor told People that she has always been a "voracious reader" and named reading - anything from biographies to historical works - as her favorite thing along with her children and sports.

Besides author Lawrence Wright's terrorism history, "The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11," Palin said she's reading a lot of briefing papers.

"I appreciate a lot of information. I think that comes from growing up in a family of school teachers," she said.

Comments

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 8 months ago

Want to hear some "intellectuals"? Listen to these Obama supporters. All I can say is...wow.http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=SCcHzUmVP5c&feature=related

beatrice 6 years, 8 months ago

Palin is an intellectual. And 72 is the new 40.

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 8 months ago

An intellectual? I thought I was reading The Onion. Our nation is comic. It is beyond belief. You have heard her ramble on like an idiot and flat out ignore questions that she cannot answer and may not understand. Palin equals intellectual, the way Bush equals competence, the way Rove equals integrity, the way Cheney equals philanthropist. Unbelievable. The sun must be coming up at midnight tonight.

bmwjhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Is this news or an opinion column? No author named. Yeah, she's ignorant, but this is weird reporting.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 8 months ago

What is this new wave "who is and who is not an intellectual"? Is there a standardized test? Are intellectuals identified by their ability to ridicule others vernacular? Or is it simply the reading material left around the abode for others to notice. (Note to self - need latest addition of the New Yorker)By definition if you are not an intellectual what are you a doorknob? Is there a middle ground, if so what do you call that person? That fact that this topic keeps coming up in print is laughable, and childish. Nothing more than schoolyard name calling.

seriouscat 6 years, 8 months ago

Haha! At first she was scary/sad/tragic kinda like Britney Spears. Now she's just scary/funny, kinda like Britney Spears.

Erin Graham 6 years, 8 months ago

"McCain deserves a better running mate"....Does he? He/his people chose her on his/their judgment. Any effect (positive or negative depending how one views the judgment), therefore, too is deserved. To me, at least, the choice of a presidential candidate's running mate speaks as a likely reflection of how things could be handled over the next 4 years. It's one of the first "presidential" decisions we see from a candidate. How well thought out is the decision? What are the motives? Is the VP someone who could be an asset to what goes on in Washington? etcetera.

Cait McKnelly 6 years, 8 months ago

LOL! At least Obama's wife doesn't spend 150K for her wardrobe. I've made a few posts here before about how I feel about women who wear the equivalent of one of my paychecks on their feet, even when it's paid for by the RNC.

Confrontation 6 years, 8 months ago

Invictus is obviously an intellectual in the same ranks as Palin. Did you see his spell checked version? Wall mart? Denis Rodman? Invictus, perhaps you and Tom should get back to your Klan planning, and leave the discussion to the rest of us.

black_butterfly 6 years, 8 months ago

"Although Palin didn't name a single newspaper or magazine when CBS News anchor Katie Couric asked where she got her information,"She always gives vague answers, when asked things of this nature; never anything factual, or substantial, which is why she didn't name a single newspaper or magazine. She knows that if she had, it could be followed up on, or she could be asked about content. She is too busy shopping for designer hoochie wear to read any publications. I can't believe that anyone would want her to be our next vice president. McCain deserves a better running mate. She's a fraud, plain and simple. Sarah, plain and simple.

Rex Russell 6 years, 8 months ago

It is starting sound like they are giving her a complete make over, in and out make over. Not too long ago she was a proud, down-to-earth, small town, gun toten', working class, joe six pack, girl from Alaska. Now she's a Yves St. Laurant, 5th Ave wearing, egghead. Isn't that exactly the type of person they have been disparaging during campaign rallies ? I seriously doubt this last minute schtick is going to fool anyone. You can call yourself anything you want. She has been weighed and measured, and found to be woefully lacking. Paaaaleeeaase.

BuffyloGal 6 years, 8 months ago

Being an intellectual for People magazine can't be too hard in the first place. Does this make her an elitist as well or still a hockey mom since it is only People?

jafs 6 years, 8 months ago

It is strange - why would they first market her as "Jane six-pack" and then suddenly turn around and market her as an intellectual?

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 8 months ago

One poster above is right: she has been packaged in as many ways as possible. All failures. Comic failures. Epic failures. Blinding failures. She is already a comic figure before heading to do SNL as she tries to show us how "real" she is. Real what? The final failure of the GOP.

kmat 6 years, 8 months ago

Easy_Does_ItIt means that you are guided by intellect instead of emotion and are rational. Palin is neither.

Kyle Reed 6 years, 8 months ago

So how much does Obama's wife spend Cait? I have to say elections really do bring out the ugly side of people. Not agreeing with someone's political views should not give one carte blanche to be rude, hateful, and just down right mean about/to another person. I can't believe this is how all of you treat people in your everyday lives. Is it? Whatever happened to respecting the fact that other people may have a different point of view?

verity 6 years, 8 months ago

It's not the different point of view that bothers me, it's the rank hypocrisy.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 8 months ago

invictus (Anonymous) says:"Do intellectuals need the New York Times or another publication to do their thinking for them?"That's why it's called "reading". The thinking part is optional - you have to possess the capability and motivation. However, the entertainment channel Fox News can do all of that for you and is especially handy to those that lack the proper faculties.

FMT6488 6 years, 8 months ago

All that I see and hear whenever I have read or watched a Palin interview, is all SPIN. Rarely does she give specific, definitive answers to questions. Even when pressed for a definite answer, she continues to spew forth spin. Coming from a (supposedly) former honors student, I find this more than a little distressing!

BuffyloGal 6 years, 8 months ago

The Clinton's daughter is Oxford-educated and pulls down a comfortable salary for someone so young. She is thoughtful and polite and kind to her parents. I could wish worse for my kids!

Grundoon Luna 6 years, 8 months ago

Youbetcha she's an intellectual . . . . and I'm dating Rush Limbaugh

AjiDeGallina 6 years, 8 months ago

yesterday in an interview, she could not explain what it meant to have pre-conditions in negociations.

Mike Blur 6 years, 8 months ago

verity, I went and looked up on people.com. Once I got past the sickening layout, I found the interview. Here's the actual quote:----------------------------Do you think you're intellectual?SP: Yessss. And you have to be up on not only current events, but you have to understand the foundation of the issues that you're working on as a governor. I had to do the same thing as a mayor. So it is not just current events but it's much more in-depth than that to understand how, in the case of me being governor, how did our state get to the position that we are in order for a decision to have to be made. You can't just go on what is presented you. You have to know the background, you have to know the players involved before you make a policy call. So, um, it's uh, it's a good job, it's a tough job and it's a very, very serious job. And no. You don't get to be a governor by being --------------------------------------------------The whole interview is quite a hoot. Worth finding and checking out.

KansasPerson 6 years, 8 months ago

Tom Shewmon (Tom Shewmon) says:"Awaiting the pc. about Bidens seriously stupid drawn out remark basically saying Obama is a green horn and will be tested by leaders of nations who don't like us and how he will probably screw it up and we should just be there to support him while he puts our nation in peril. Where's that clip, LJW?"LOL -- I don't think you've got that exactly word-for-word, Tom! More like a paraphrase! You've got youtube access; why don't you post the clip yourself?"This is the typical corrupt liberal media trash me and many other people are sick and tired of."And speaking of reading and being smart -- if you took out the "and may other people" you would now be saying "this is what me is sick and tired of." Great grammar!

BuffyloGal 6 years, 8 months ago

Too bad she's not beautiful or articulate. As to successful, that depends on your definition of success in life which for me reflects in one's family and children's behavior as well as one's own.

beawolf 6 years, 8 months ago

"I guess I am not an intellectual despite my high IQ, much higher than yours." ......You can have a high IQ, but still be an idiot.

truman 6 years, 8 months ago

Why doesn't she admit she reads People magazine like the rest of us ? We know she doesn't read anything more intellectual than that.

Confrontation 6 years, 8 months ago

Anyone notice how Tom never responds to the article? He just picks some random BS topic. I'm sure that Palin does think she's an intellectual. Of course, she also thinks that the definition of intellectual is "one who is absolutely stupid, yet calls herself an intellectual."

Mike Blur 6 years, 8 months ago

Aha! Todd Palin's grandmother is a Yupik! Sarah herself is white as the snow, so that makes Todd at most 25 percent Yupik, and the kids 12.5 percent Yupik. (Which may meet the quantum cutoff these days!) That's actually cool, although it can't (and won't) change my vote, there's some Native representation in this race! It's a bit troublesome, however, as I'm discovering some of Sarah's anti-native policies she has pursued as governor.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 8 months ago

It's been reported that Todd Palin is part Inuit, whatever that means."My entire life, I've had many white folks tell me about their native ancestry (many along the lines of "my great-grandma was an Indian princess") "My grandmother was supposedly part Cherokee, but she was from Oklahoma, and I think pretty much the whole state claims some sort of Indian ancestry. She looked way more Irish than Indian.I told a Lakota friend once that I might have a little Cherokee in me, and he told, "Well, let him out!!"

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 8 months ago

invictus (Anonymous) says:"I am part Native American on my maternal and paternal side. So all you people that give me crap are racists, go back to Europe!"Give me a break! There are a ton of people in America that can legitimately claim at least part Native American ancestry (including myself), and most of them probably disagree with you!

temperance 6 years, 8 months ago

And for the record, The Looming Tower is a great book, but I wouldn't call it "intellectual." It was marketed as popular nonfiction. But, whatevs, this is the party that nominated Dan Quayle as VP. Do we really expect of Republican nominees to be intellectual?

verity 6 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for the link, Mike.But I'm confused. Isn't calling yourself an intellectual elitist? Has she become a democrat?

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 8 months ago

I'd love to see Palin on Hardball with Chris Matthews. Palin: "Now, Chris, wher're all of those traps you been hidin'? Yah knooo it's not hockey mom huntin' season quite yet."

CarterFaucheaux 6 years, 8 months ago

BuffyloGal 6 years, 8 months ago

Invictus you seem to be once again pulling info out of your arse. Prove it. If I may point out, as Clinton did, the abortion rate fell drastically during her husband's presidency but has risen in more states than it has fallen under George W. Bush. So much for the rightwing agenda.

Music_boy 6 years, 8 months ago

hujiko 6 years, 8 months ago

'Palin said in an interview with People magazine. "You can't just go on what is presented you."'Am I the only one who caught this typo? Really?!

q_ball2kand1 6 years, 8 months ago

Give us a break screwmon.Quit trying to pass your sources off as credible. Newsmax? You might as well cite FauxNexs or Rush Limbaugh.

verity 6 years, 8 months ago

I read the article several times and cannot see where Gov. Palin called herself an intellectual. Am I missing something?I thought intellectuals were East Coast Elitists and bad (read un-American) people in general. This must be the loony left making something up about poor Sarah. I'm sure no respectable pro-America American would call themselves an intellectual.

beawolf 6 years, 8 months ago

I am part Native American on my maternal and paternal side. So all you people that give me crap are racists, go back to Europe!.....We will go back to Europe if you will go back to Asia. Then the deer and the buffalo can roam by themselves as God intended.

verity 6 years, 8 months ago

Mike, Todd Palen's mother is one-quarter Yup'ik. Notice that she says "our kids".

beatrice 6 years, 8 months ago

She didn't name magazines because she knew she couldn't admit to reading "Secessionist Times," and "The Militia Post." Sure she is an intellectual. And she bought her recent wardrobe in small-town "real" American stores (i.e. Wal-Mart). You betcha. You can put lipstick and a pricey woman's suit on a pig, but that still doesn't make the pig an intellectual. Although they are fading, the fact that McCain and Palin still appear to be at least in the running is evidence of how George Bush twice got elected. There are obviously many Americans who aren't intellectuals. Oh, and jonas wins.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 8 months ago

BABBOY: "I guess I am fan of George W. Bush because he put the S in stupid."George W. Bush put the ss's in a lot of words.

acg 6 years, 8 months ago

The headline made me laugh out loud. She tried the folksy, aren't I cute, I hunt moose and can see Alaska from my house schtick and that didn't work so they slapped some lipstick on that pig (at $500 a tube) and now they're trying that. If this election wasn't so important this whole situation would be hysterical.

SpeedRacer 6 years, 8 months ago

There is a proposition in Arkansas this year to amend the state constitution to remove the following language in Article 3, Section 5: "No idiot or insane person shall be entitled to the privileges of of an elector (voter)". I think this should be part of the U.S. Constitution.

scksjhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Sarah if you are intellectual, then George W Bush is the greatest President that ever lived! If you can't even tell a third grader what the VP does without making a complete idiot out of yourself I seriously doubt you are an intellectual. "You Bethca!"

Mike Blur 6 years, 8 months ago

Interesting, from the last page of the people.com interview. Sarah Palin claims to be Native American!Here's the quote:---------------------------------------------Is that a series?SP: No, different books. Susan Butcher, she was one of the Iditarod champions. She had written a book before she died. It was a beautiful book that she and her husband, Dave Monson, wrote. It's called Granite and it's a good one. And a lot of the Alaskan-oriented books because our kids are Alaska native, they're Eskimos, so it helps them understand more of their culture, the history there in Alaska.---------------------------------------------Interesting. My entire life, I've had many white folks tell me about their native ancestry (many along the lines of "my great-grandma was an Indian princess") and, when I was in the military, I briefly dated an Inuit girl. The Palins do not strike me as either Yupiks or Inuits. Who knows, maybe their blood quantum is sufficient to claim Native affiliation. I haven't much time, but soon I'll contact the McCain/Palin campaign about the Palin family's DIB.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 8 months ago

jonas: "She does wear glasses."jackbinkelman: "Jonas, The lenses aren't prescription!" They're not glasses, they're teleprompters! ( albeit with a rather limited text frame ) Sarah Palin... intellectual AND mavericky!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 8 months ago

Well, that settles it, none2. If she's good enough for Alaska, no one in Lawrence, (or elsewhere?) should dare question how fit she is for the office of VP, which puts her one geezer's heartbeat away from being president.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 8 months ago

none2: "It amazes me just how desperate people are to insult Govenor Palin."Well, after all... she IS an insult to us all.

staff04 6 years, 8 months ago

Hmph. Thought it was a link to a story from The Onion...

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 8 months ago

none2 (Anonymous) says:"She isn't the queen, princess, empress, or any other such appointed title over Alaska - she was elected."Right, right. It'll be nice to see her stay up there, even in that role. Alaska needs change as their political leadership is going through a drastic upheaval and rife with scandals. Such is the state of Alaskan affairs and, as much as I don't want her to head to DC, she can do good for Alaska if she can avoid her own scandals. real or manufactured by the Alaskan political machine.

sfjayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

"Palin considers herself intellectual"This headline was laugh out loud funny! Palin makes Dan Quayle look like a f--king genius.