Letters to the Editor

Chicago taint

October 21, 2008

To the editor:

Their notoriety flares and wanes, but Chicago politicians know how to play the game. Nobody gets elected unless they play the game, too. Obama is playing the game or he would never have been elected to office. He has been groomed and polished. Yes, he is handsome and smooth (slick is a better adjective). Is "Mr. Clean" clean?

The corruption of Chicago politics is interwoven into every garment he wears, and the years of preparing him in mind, body and soul are paying off. He has not finished his first term in office, but the corrupt politicians decided that this is the time to put him in the spotlight.

We are told, "Never mind where he came from. Ain't he beautiful?" Yes, he looks good, and we Kansans are always fighting for the rights of blacks. We must look behind the facade and see Obama's ever-present ties to Chicago-style corrupt government.

Kansans have the frontier mindset. We do not want to have to fight for our freedom from the outlaws, but we will fight when necessary. Keep Kansas clean. Keep our nation clean.

Mary Lou Penny,
Lawrence

Comments

compmd 6 years, 2 months ago

As a born-and-raised Chicagoan, I have to agree with Mary about the way it works up there. The only thing to thing about is that while many members of the Chicago political machine loyal to Daley are corrupt, but a functional corrupt. There really is an elegance to it all, but its a bit scary.

Ragingbear 6 years, 2 months ago

Way to totally ramble Mary. Go quote other "facts" that are way off base and completely made up.

rtwngr 6 years, 2 months ago

Mary Lou, you are absolutely correct. The Chicago Democrat party is corrupt. Nobody rises to the top without making the "deals". Just because it might be done in other cities does not absolve Obama of any "deals" he may have made. When it comes to taint, Obama looks the part, Jaylee. What is more, it is a weak individual that points to other bad behavior to justify bad behavior.

jaywalker 6 years, 2 months ago

Fairly certain 'taint' was not meant as a noun, people.

Jaylee 6 years, 2 months ago

mary lou, you neither represent kansas or chicago well. come to think of it, what do you represent? the whole thing was kind of vague.being a northern illinois/ chicagoan migrant here in kansas, i can definitely tell you that there is some chicago corruption. id like you to survey all major cities and metropolitan areas and tell me where there is NOT corruption?its the government. just like any situation where people are given power, sometimes they didnt have the wiring to stay on the right track. but most do. and believe me, it is not limited to chicago.way to give me a little less faith, though, that the average american can formulate a regulated cohesive thought, utilizing things like common sense, facts, and syntax.will ferrell on snl once claimed the taint to be "the fleshy man bridge" and determined it really had no point or purpose. you, mary lou, just may be the taint of america. you at least are fleshy-man-bridging kansas to chitown with all your banter.of course i dont really think youre a taint, but point being lets keep the taints out of the political arena. or soon we'll have ballsface and turdbrain and all kinds of others tainting our "intelligent" political conversation.

bondmen 6 years, 2 months ago

Mary Lou, too many voters are captivated by social slogans and calls to the economic wild rather than realizing the philosophy underpinning a political candidate and that philosophy's affect on policy. His policy is largely foreign to America yet many people will jump off the cliff even though the water below is more than cloudy.

Boeing 6 years, 2 months ago

Chicago politics are corrupt...what a shocker. As someone who has lots of family in Chicago and practically called it my second home growing up, this is the norm, and it is accepted by most as the status quo. However, and I am no Obama supporter, the reason Obama was elected, to Congress at least, is because 1) it's a Democratic state, and 2) his Republican rival was Alan Keyes, who even many Republican county offices in Illinois (and I believe all in the 6 county Chicagoland area) refused to support

Jaylee 6 years, 2 months ago

rtwngr (Anonymous) says:Nobody rises to the top without making the "deals". What is more, it is a weak individual that points to other bad behavior to justify bad behavior.---------------------------------------------well obama has been the only politician in years (or ever, come to think of it) ive heard specifically point out that too many bribes are made in this government and he wants people to know and understand that you can achieve without those bribes or "deals".and to correct you, my intent wasnt to justify corruption. merely laying to rest the idea that chicago is the devil and any politician to come from there is damned as well as any of their followers.obama sees the corruption and greed just as we all do, only he is in a position to potentially do something about it. how can you fear an individual focused on change when he is the only person truly speaking as though he understands that some things going on today are at the very least wrong?

jaywalker 6 years, 2 months ago

"we Kansans are always fighting for the rights of blacks"beobachter: "Your racism shines right thru."What the...?! For the love, beo, spare us, pretty please.

imright 6 years, 2 months ago

Subject: Army Times Poll on Presidential RaceArmy Times Poll on Presidential RaceFrom this week's issue of the Army Times: Here are the results of the Army Times' poll of Military personnel preference in the election (in percent): McCain Obama Overall 68 23 Army 68 23 Navy 69 24 Air Force 67 24 Marines 75 18 Retirees 72 20 White Non-Hispanic 76 17 Hispanic 63 27 Black/African-American 12 79 Enlisted 67 24 Officers 70 22 Somehow I missed seeing this in the New York Times?

tolawdjk 6 years, 2 months ago

bondmen (Anonymous) says: Mary Lou, too many voters are captivated by social slogans and calls to the economic wild rather than realizing the philosophy underpinning a political candidate and that philosophy's affect on policy. His policy is largely foreign to America yet many people will jump off the cliff even though the water below is more than cloudy_________We have had 8 years of philosophy underpinning a political candidate and that effect of that philosophy on policy. You say it like it is a new thing. His philosophy is foreign to -your- vision of America.

acoupstick 6 years, 2 months ago

Many Chicago politicians are corrupt.Obama is a politician.Obama is from Chicago.Therefore Obama is corrupt.Got it.

Phil Minkin 6 years, 2 months ago

Some people may have good reasons to vote against Obama based on some policy or conviction, but "Chicago taint" --give me a break. If you don't want to vote for him because of race do so and shut up.

Confrontation 6 years, 2 months ago

"Clean," huh? You might want to get back under your hood.

Jaylee 6 years, 2 months ago

jaywalker (Anonymous) says:Fairly certain 'taint' was not meant as a noun, people.----------------------i used it both ways! haha both ways qualify for this letter, so it works. whatev!

webmocker 6 years, 2 months ago

"Keep Kansas clean. Keep our nation clean."Really? "Keep...?"Our nation is clean now?No corruption in our government?Nary a lie to be found?

David Omar 6 years, 2 months ago

I am sure there are many more corrupt politicians than are in Chicago, but the American people choose their president, not just Chicagoans. That is good. It appears that Obama has raised $150 MILLION in one month, does that mean that those who gave that much money were hoodwinked? Come on. The letter does smell of racism and when you think of the alternative to Obama, don't you just shudder? I mean a 72 year old angry man with a 43 year old angry, Bible beating woman, doesn't make a very good presidential team in my book. Frankly, I am totally taken aback when someone says that Palin would make a great president.

Boeing 6 years, 2 months ago

Or perhaps, beo, they know that the odds of keeping their jobs, along with most defense contractors and those who build tanks, fighter jets, rockets, missiles, etc. etc. etc. and even military civilian employees are better with McCain in the White House over Obama. It's the simple "look out for number 1" philosophy...just like folks at environmental related companies and organizations are hoping for Obama, because they stand a better chance to be successful with him in the White House.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

Think about Tony Rezko singing like a little birdie. Who's going to the Big House next?

Gareth Skarka 6 years, 2 months ago

First of all, "clean" is a dog-whistle comment for racists. Seriously--watch some video of the white Southerners during the civil rights era. They would constantly complain that they were trying to keep their towns "clean", and that the northerners who were coming down to assist in black voter registration efforts were "unheigenic" and race-mixing. The whole "Keep Kansas clean. Keep our nation clean" thing is uncomfortably close to that, in my view.Second-- I'm sure I'm not the only one who is getting tired of the provincial divisiveness in this country, where some claim that certain areas are somehow less American than others -- San Francisco (liberal, gay), Chicago (corrupt), New York (mean, nasty), Hollywood (weird), etc., are some how not as "pro-America" as small-town USA.Bluntly: This is bullsh!t. Knock it off. Every part of this country is American. Stop trying to divide us.

paavopetie 6 years, 2 months ago

I heard that Obama has a five inch taint.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

jaywalker: While I agree with your sentiment that we should stop trying so hard to find racists, I must concur with some above. . . the first thing that I thought when I read that last sentence is that clean means free of negros. (intentionally using archaic term) The reason some should stop trying so hard to find racists is because when they do, like the boy who cried wolf, it delegitimizes cases like this, where racism is really pretty open and visible. I would imagine the LTE writer herself is potentially unaware of it, too, but it's definitely there.

jaywalker 6 years, 2 months ago

beo, I'm not going to qualify that sentence or defend Mary Lou. But I'm askin'....no...... pleading.... that people stop 'looking' so hard for racists. It was not a 'racist' comment and for all anyone knows Mary Lou could be a black Kansan. All I'm saying is that it has become a fashionable reflex to color someone a racist if they merely oppose Obama, it happens on these strings all the time. I'm not saying there aren't racists out there, and I'm speaking in generalities because I have seen some comments that are beyond the pale. But true racism is fairly recognizable, and they aren't very subtle about it. Painting with such an arbitrary brush will actually do more harm than good, so let's quit attempting to identify shades of gray. This race is too divisive on its face, and while race does have a role in as much as it's historic here, and you can't eliminate all the ignorance in the world let alone this country, shouting 'hater!' and 'bigot!' at vaporous comments is akin to pushing on the ocean."Some on the right claim that U.S. cities will burn if Obama loses, due to mass hysteria and anger from Obama supporters"Who 'on the right' have claimed such, benny? I have heard and read such warnings from liberal individuals here in Georgia and from the columnist in Philly, but I'm aware of no such 'threats' by conservatives. And I'll go out on a strong limb and say there will be NO rioting if Obama wins. Feel that's a safer prediction that BigPrunes recent one.

Gareth Skarka 6 years, 2 months ago

What part of "already has TS clearance" do you not understand?

imright 6 years, 2 months ago

Jaylee 6 years, 2 months ago

wow, another tom shewmon post where we get to read for a minute, re-read just to see if there was any valid content, then gather only that tom is racist and hates on people who dont think like him. and,had i not been reading and responding to your comments these last few weeks, i wouldnt even have gathered racism until you pointed it out for no reason.i dont know what "the gang of three" is.and i dont watch tv cause i dont have one, so that filters your filtered media proposition out.my biggest problem with your post though, tom, is that you said a presidential candidate is not about politics. how far off the train have you fallen?

Gareth Skarka 6 years, 2 months ago

....and regarding millitary support: Why is it, then, that Obama has gotten more contributions from active service members than any other candidate?http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3601542

jaywalker 6 years, 2 months ago

Garreth:"First of all, "clean" is a dog-whistle comment for racists"Sorry, that statement is NOT truth, it is your opinion, and a fairly laughable and unproveable one at that, your links notwithstanding. "which isn't a trait commonly found among wingnuts:."And find me a 'wingnut' because........?"Stop trying to divide us"Funny request considering you've used the term 'wingnut' multiple times on this string. Seems like YOU are the one bent on division.

Jaylee 6 years, 2 months ago

invictus (Anonymous) says: ""being a northern illinois/ chicagoan migrant here in kansas" May I ask, Why did you come to Kansas?"a lady. i came to visit an old friend who had moved here with his family and decided lawrence was the best place in the midwest i could set up shop for a few years, but in the end.... it was a lady. broke my heart, but you'll have that. even with her here, lawrence is about the only place i could be mildly content living in the midwest. im a musician, what can i say?--------------------------------------------------------imright (Anonymous) says: "Just think of all the good friends obama has in Chicago, an anti white American-priest Pfleger, an anti white American-Rev. Wright, an anti American-terrorist Ayers-Dohrn , an anti white American- Farrakhan and so many more just plain anti Americans around the world."well, yourewrong, you make the common mistake of interpreting someone having had relations with another individual as them being friends.unfortunately for your argument's sake, the alternatives to diplomacy (which is in essence what obama talking to national and international leaders, good and bad, would be) are things like our ambiguous "War on Terrorism", or Iran withdrawing from the United Nations so they can undergo nuclear proliferation without the watchful eye of the world taking notes.so for now, keep your wiener in your pants cause you already lost the pissing match.

motomom 6 years, 2 months ago

pywacket.....i agree with ya 100%.......especially loved your"baked alaskan" comment before.........heehee.i am looking forward to nov. 5.. how 'bout you?? .it is going to be a new day.

imright 6 years, 2 months ago

Being an old former military man who had a top secret clearance this makes sense to me!http://www.spectator.org/archives/2008/10/17/obama-couldnt-be-cleared

jaywalker 6 years, 2 months ago

beo,And then you're missing my point. You can play 'one of these things is not like the others' and parse the hell out of people's comments in order to bird dog a 'racist', but who does it serve? Some nutball named Gareth played the same game here earlier, suggesting that the word "clean" is a catch-word for racists! Are you freakin' kiddin' me?! There was a lot of talk of how people might have to walk on egg shells with a black candidate making a serious bid, but this is getting ridiculous.I'm reminded of Monty Python's 'The Holy Grail' and the "she's a witch....burn her!" scene.

Berserk 6 years, 2 months ago

Please offer us a little more than your biblical like text stating "this is how it is".Fail

Boeing 6 years, 2 months ago

Gareth - heck, I was born in Hollywood and raised not far away in the Inland Empire, and the people sure are WEIRDDDD ;)

Gareth Skarka 6 years, 2 months ago

imright: "Being an old former military man who had a top secret clearance this makes sense to me!"Then, bluntly, you're an idiot. Obama serves on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and the Senate Subcommitte on Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs.He's already got TS clearance. Your linked article is just another know-nothing wingnut, spewing garbage that doesn't hold up to the slightest bit of logic or even simple fact-checking.

compmd 6 years, 2 months ago

powershopper,There are TS clearance levels that do require a poly in addition to the SSBI. madmike, Its really nowhere near as hard to pass a background check for TS as you think. I know complete idiots that managed to get clearance who have no business possessing national secrets. One guy even asked me to be a reference for him, and I ripped him apart when I talked with the OPM investigator. He still got his clearance. Another person I know has TS/SCI and has a brother who has been convicted of a few felonies. And if rtwngr wants to go off on Chicago democrats, he can explain George Ryan to everyone. There's corruption across the board in Illinois, you can't point the finger at one party alone.

jonas 6 years, 2 months ago

standuporget: I would think it's pretty simple. It means that many people (and this one is primarily people from the conservative side of things) hold to enlisted men as wonderful examples of everything great: patriotism, intelligence, involvement, love for country, etc. The reality, as Pywacket mentioned, is that they are, to a great degree, high-school graduates with no higher education. I'll go one further, but this is primarily anecdotal, from my multiple friends and family friends who have been in the military in one facet or another. They are made up of a good proportion of kids who are entering because they don't have any other direction in their lives at the time, kids who are looking (or having their parents look for them) for some method of disciplining their prior uncontrollable behavior, and kids looking for ways to pay for college after they get out. This is all fine, of course. It only becomes relevant when someone like madmike starts talking about their voting records and how it shows what people are apparently thinking. Given the uncultivated state of the kids in question, and given the very real, recognized and largely admitted indoctrination practices of the military (resocialization is I believe what it's called, though the military doesn't call it that, I don't think), then venerating their political opinions is, in my opinion, somewhat suspect. Well, absolutely suspect. Hope that clears it up for you.

Gareth Skarka 6 years, 2 months ago

Jaywalker -- nothing I said was untrue. Look it up for yourself:From time magazine, 1964: "As Watkins explained, they had been "unduly provoked" by civil rights workers, some of whom "are people of low morality and unhygienic.""http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,871386,00.htmlEven Biden got some crap for using the phrase, back in the primaries: http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/31/biden.obama/There's more out there, if you'd care to look it up. But that would require some intellectual curiousity on your part, which isn't a trait commonly found among wingnuts....

jaywalker 6 years, 2 months ago

jonas, Seriously? You really got that from 'clean'? Alright, I'll defer to your opinion on this as I trust your rationality. I did not get that sense when I read it, but perhaps I'm going out of my way to ignore such slights. Racism where I live is rarely subtle. The 'boy that cried wolf' analogy is a good one.

BigAl 6 years, 2 months ago

I mostly watch FOX News and CNN. FOX News is by far the most biased and corrupt network on television. If any network is "fair and balanced" it is CNN. Last night, I watched as the rightwing hero Bill O'Reilly and Bernie Goldberg fawned all over themselves on how neutral FOX is. O'Reilly even stated that the FOX News anchors are about 50/50 republican and democrat. Might as well say that Limbaugh is neutral.

standuporget 6 years, 2 months ago

Anonymous userjonas_opines (Anonymous) says:madmike: Are you going to dispute that the military is constructed with a very large percentage of people who are not considered responsible enough to legally make their own decision to drink alcohol?You accuse Pywacket of minimizing the militarymen. Have you considered that perhaps you venerate them to an unrealistic degree?What the hell does that mean.

Gareth Skarka 6 years, 2 months ago

You ever notice how they ignore facts that don't jibe with their little world-view?1) Obama already has TS clearance, as part of being on the committees he serves on requires him access to TS materials. Yet, the wingnuts keep hammering the "he totally couldn't get one -- in my experience as a low-level order-following grunt, I wouldn't give him one."2) The donations coming from active military overwhelmingly go to Obama. Donations = money. Money in the military = most likely older soldiers, officers, etc. Sure the poll of the average 18-year old grunt goes to McCain. Are you surprised by this? But the decision-makers money is going to Obama. Undeniably -- and boy does that piss off the wingnuts!

feeble 6 years, 2 months ago

This whole TS thing begs the question, how is Palin going to get clearance when her husband was an active member of a separatist organization (AIP).Also, when I was living on base, we didn't get the Military Times, we got Stars & Stripes and AFN/AFRTS, both of which have very, very subdued political coverage. The methodology behind the military times poll is very questionable:http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2008/10/military_poll_methodology_100608W/"Although public opinion pollsters use random selection to survey the general public, the Military Times survey is based on responses from those who chose to participate. That means it is impossible to calculate statistical margins of error commonly reported in opinion surveys, because those calculations depend on random sampling techniques.The voluntary nature of the survey could affect the results - if supporters of one candidate are more prone to express their opinions, for example. The dependence on e-mail could also affect the results, because e-mail users may have different characteristics than the military population as a whole."Your poll is worthless, and has no predictive value.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 2 months ago

Dirty, dirty, dirty Obama. Oh wait, he's slick and clean. Aaaargh! Which is it????At least under this scenario, we know where the 'enemy' lives--Chicago. Four and eight years ago, we weren't sure, as Rove tended to pop up all over, pulling his dirty little strings. It was a different war back then, and the enemy was everywhere hiding among us.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

madmike: Are you going to dispute that the military is constructed with a very large percentage of people who are not considered responsible enough to legally make their own decision to drink alcohol? You accuse Pywacket of minimizing the militarymen. Have you considered that perhaps you venerate them to an unrealistic degree?

jaywalker 6 years, 2 months ago

jonas,I feel ya. But I guess the crux of what I'm getting at is right there in your use of 'potentiality'. You may be right, others may be right, but as you also say, we're taking shots in the dark. And what I'm asking is that more would take your position - "I would put the level of potentiality/level of error ratio here to be where I don't bring it up myself".I would imagine an overwhelming majority of whites over the age of say... 20, if honest, would have to offer similar admissions as yours. Do you find that to be 'racism', or a 'learned' response, media driven - books, movies, news, etc.? As you say, you immediately curse yourself for the notion, so you know it's incorrect. Racism would be believing such pre-conditioned synapse errors, would it not?

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

Active/passive, I suppose. I understand what you're saying, though. Letting it slide would probably have been the better option. For one thing, an unnoticed subtle opinion would remain unnoticed, and thus irrelevant. For another, there might have been more posts devoted to the rest of the nonsense dropped on us by the LTE writer. But yeah, preaching to the choir, I guess. It seems the others have stopped paying attention.

jonas 6 years, 2 months ago

jaywalker: It was the first thing I thought. Either it was, or the woman is so abysmally ignorant as to use such loaded terminology in reference to political corruption, but either way, the sudden talking about blacks at the end, and the ridiculous notion that without Obama politics would be clean (even assuming that is corruption, not ethnic purity) both make me see a potentially racist mind. I would put the level of potentiality/level of error ratio here to be where I don't bring it up myself, but am willing to, for instance, defend another who brought it up. With just this letter, we're all taking shots in the dark anyway. But perhaps, open racism where you live clouds the more subtle racism that still exists under the surface. I still can't see a black man in a nice car without the first thought that he must have sold a lot of drugs. I yell at myself for it, and immediately contradict it in my head, but it still pops up, every time. I grew up in lily-white Johnson County, in Leawood where the cops spend their time targeting teenagers and black people from Missouri, but they're sophisticated there, so they hide their racism behind stacked excuses, while laughing at their kids' vulgar racist jokes.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

"I am just just shrill and panicky!"Wow, this just capped a first, I think, by Right-thinker. A paragraph with a consistent message. Humerously, it was not the intended message.

jaywalker 6 years, 2 months ago

Odds are you're an excellent teacher, jonas, would have enjoyed Eastern or Western Civ with you at the helm.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

"i dont know what "the gang of three" is."It's Right-thinker's clever cough tie to the Gang of Four, the four people who ran the tail end of the Cultural Revolution in China, including Mao's wife, when Mao started to get ill towards the end of his life. They also were scapegoated so Mao could maintain his legitimacy in the minds of the Chinese people after the horrors of the Cultural Revolution itself. As for what it has to do with anything, well probably not much from a rational perspective.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

I could also surmise, from what I've read and remember of your comments, that your indoctrination began at home as proper moral guidance, so you probably would not have noticed a shift.

Lindsey Buscher 6 years, 2 months ago

Mary Lou Penny, the taint of America's penis.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

Chicago taint? OMG, reading this title really made me feel like a 8th grader. That brought a smile to my face. Good job!

standuporget 6 years, 2 months ago

Jonas, My father was in the military and so was I. I don't remember me or any of my friends being told or taught what or how to think about anything that wasn't job related. But maybe we were just too dumb to know better. I always wonder when you guys speak about military families where you get your information.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

"I always wonder when you guys speak about military families where you get your information."I've answered that already, from people in the military, that I know, and the observations that they make. Perhaps in the military, like everywhere else, it all just depends on your inclination or perspective.