Archive for Monday, October 20, 2008

One woman killed, three people injured in K-10 accident

A two-car accident on K-10 Highway claims the life of a Eudora woman. The accident happened early Monday morning.

October 20, 2008, 8:48 a.m. Updated October 21, 2008, 10:44 a.m.

Accident closes K-10, injures 3

Emergency crews respond to a two-vehicle accident Monday morning on Kansas Highway 10. Enlarge video

Two helicopters meet in the air above K-10 highway west of Eudora Monday morning after a two-car accident shut down K-10 to traffic in both directions. Three helicopters transported the injured from the accident scene to area hospitals.

One of three helicopter ambulances scrambles into the air along K-10 highway west of Eudora Monday morning after a two-car accident closed K-10 to traffic in both directions. Three victims were transported to area hospitals.

A 51-year-old Eudora woman has died from injuries she received in a two-vehicle accident Monday morning on Kansas Highway 10.

The Kansas Highway Patrol said Helen Moorhead was traveling in the westbound lanes of K-10, when a car traveling east left the highway, lost control, crossed the median and struck Moorhead's 1996 Ford passenger car, a Kansas Highway Patrol report said. Moorhead was transported to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., with injuries and later pronounced dead. It's unknown whether she was wearing a seat belt.

Three emergency helicopters were called to the accident, which occurred about 8:20 a.m. near the Wakarusa River Bridge about one mile west of Eudora.

The KHP identified the 38-year-old driver of the 2005 Toyota that left the road as Errin Lang, of Lawrence. She was taken to St. Luke's Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., where a spokeswoman said she was in serious condition. Lang was wearing a seat belt, a KHP report said.

Ryan Martinez, a 32-year-old passenger in Lang's car, was taken to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., where a spokesman said he wasn't able to provide information regarding his condition. The Eudora man was not wearing a seat belt, according to the report.

A 10-month-old child in the car, Allie Martinez, was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, where she was treated for her injuries and released, a hospital spokeswoman said Monday morning. The Eudora infant was in a child restraint device, the KHP said.

Traffic on K-10 was shut down in both directions while emergency crews responded to the accident. All lanes reopened about two hours later, a KHP dispatcher said.

Moorhead was a native of England, and had moved to the United states when she was 18 years old. She had three children, an adult daughter, Amy Rooney, and sons Taylour Monahan, 12, and Dylon Monahan, who turns 11 on Friday. Moorhead also had three grandchildren.

Rooney remembered her mother Monday night. "My mom was a great person; she was always so funny and so outgoing. Our Christmases, we had really good Christmases."

Taylor had fond memories of another holiday: "One of my really good memories was over the summer when we went to the pool, and Halloween she used to drive us around."

A previous version of the story incorrectly stated that Lang was not wearing a seat belt. Area reporter Mark Boyle contributed to this report.

Comments

onlymee 5 years, 5 months ago

i had the privledge of meeting helen and her boys a few weeks ago as her friend was moving away, she was a special person, and you could tell she loved her kids,and we couldnt believe when her friend said her name and we both turned around, ironic we both have the same name, she will be missed, please let her daughter and sons know im here anytime for them

Deja Coffin 5 years, 5 months ago

While I wasn't as close to Helen as others, I am friends with her daughter Amy. She was a mother figure to myself and when we were being bad preteens, she yelled at me right along with Amy. So as far as packs_of_wild_dogzz, I don't expect everyone to share grief but it'd be nice to show some respect for the accident itself. I have commented on other accidents on ljworld before of people I didn't know and the one thing I tried to do is respect that loved ones would come on here and read what people are saying out of curiousity. But the reality is, expecting every person to be respectful won't happen. I think there's a time and a place to make all your little comments about seatbelts, median guards, etc. and maybe that would be on articles about road construction, seatbelt laws, etc. But preaching your beliefs or feelings that reflect those involved in a negative way is just disrespectful. And just maybe those who lost Helen come on here and post comments as a way to remember her, grieve, and help others see what a wonderful person she was. And how dare you mock that.

packs_of_wild_dogzz 5 years, 5 months ago

"Apparently, "pack of immaturity" has never lost a loved one or perhaps has no friends or family-otherwise, he/she/it would not make purposely hurtful comments."You know what, here's the deal. Nothing I said was meant to be hurtful. I simply stated that you are reading a public forum and the reality is you can't expect everyone to share your grief or your beliefs, or to say things you agree with. If you just lost a loved one why in the hell would you go to a public forum to discuss it or read comments from perfect strangers? You are bound to find something you don't like. And Pywacket, if you don't like it, up yours ***hole!

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the kind words none2. I am, indeed, a nurse. I was on my way to work at the nursing home in Eudora. I was with Helen until paramedics arrived and a Sheriff deputy asked me to leave the scene. There was also a business man who talked with Helen and a doctor who stopped after witnessing the accident. There were many people who stopped to help the victims in both vehicles. I am heartened to know that the desire to help others is still strong in this cynical, sometimes cold, hard world. I was very sad on hearing that Helen died. I have read all the posts about her. I wish I could have known her under other circumstances. My prayers are for her children.

LisaYoung77 5 years, 5 months ago

Helen was one of my best friends at work. After changing jobs at Vangent I haven't been able to see her. She was awesome in everyway. I found out this morning on the Lazer before going to work and I am still not sure I can quite accept this yet. As for the young lady they crossed the median, I hope for a quick recovery for you and your passenger. Some times accidents happen and until a full investigation is done no one should lay blame. That is why they call accidents accidents. I will truely miss my friend and we all should slow down and think that this could have been any of us. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone. I have nothing but love for her family. As for the complainers find another story to do your blogging on about the system. Please respect all families invoIved and give loving and caring comments. That is what Helen would want. I love you and will miss you Helen.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 5 months ago

Just to let everyone know I went and spent some time with Amy today and she is doing okay. The boys are both really in shock and I don't think it has hit them at all. Amy is just really lost on what all she needs to do and is really being so brave and strong for her family. Amy's husband is a great support system for her and he is doing a great job of not only being there for her but letting her do what she needs to do. The boys father has been there and is also in shock. I know that they don't have a lot of extended family so myself along with other friends of Amy's have made sure to make food and stop by and make sure the family is alright. I really hope Amy is able to take over caring for the boys because I've heard that's what Helen would have wanted. I'm sure there'll be a memorial fund and I know the family will greatly appreciate everyone's help. This family is such a good family made up of such wonderful people and it pains me that they have to go through all this. I hate that Amy has to take on so much responsibility that goes along with dealing with this lost. Please keep them in their prayers.

Adam Kasson 5 years, 5 months ago

To the Lang family and others involved: My heart goes out to you guys and prayers are with all of you. God bless.

bndairdundat 5 years, 5 months ago

Trolls are everywhere - but seldom live close to the areas they post to. As difficult as it is to see their trash being posted, the best response is to ignore them. Your reaction to the comments they make is all they have to live for - pathetic.My deepest sympathies to the families and friends of the deceased and the injured in this tragic event.

ralphralph 5 years, 5 months ago

Darn kids! They need to raise the driving age to 39.

Jaylee 5 years, 5 months ago

Lawrence_is_like_a_cancer (Anonymous) says: "no, Lawrence and the people that live in it are getting bad:::::Trust me, the communities around Lawrence do not think as highly of it as you think.Keep your death and drugs and scum away"-----------------------------------wow random hasty generalization? i could have sworn the article, as well as my comment you retorted, was about an accident(s) on K-10. that really didnt have anything to do with lawrence. in fact, most of the people in these accidents have not been from lawrence so i just want to know where the heck that came from?how do you even have that much hate boiling that you go on a thread and amidst condolences being dealt out, you proverbially piss on lawrence?kinda mental.i really dont give a care about what you think of lawrence or me or any other lawrencian as long as you keep your ugly hate contained out in your boogan lair, quontrill.

none2 5 years, 5 months ago

It is really sad to hear stories like this. The video mentioned she is survived by her children, but nothing is mentioned about her husband. I hope her minor sons are not now also orphans. I think we all wish the best for those in both cars as well as their friends and family. I was most touched by the posting by Gina Bailey-Carbaugh (posted on 20-Oct at 11:57am). I don't think people say thank you enough when others come to aid of others. Whether you are a nurse, EMT, or just a waitress in uniform, what you and the unnamed other volunteers did to try to save another human being's life cannot be expressed properly with a thank you. I think it is also good to hear the message that seat belts are important. I also think it is important to hear about fire extinguishers. Perhaps, more of us should consider having such and first aid kids in our vehicles should the need ever arise to lend assistance. Anyway, I just hope if something like this tragedy ever happens to someone I know, that people like YOU are around. God bless you and the other people's efforts to save her. I'm sure others who comment on here probably would have said the same thing. They were just too wrapped up in their own thoughts to stopped to smell the real roses -- so to speak.

Azure_Attitude 5 years, 5 months ago

Lawrence_is_like_a_cancer (Anonymous) says:no, Lawrence and the people that live in it are getting bad:::::Trust me, the communities around Lawrence do not think as highly of it as you think.Keep your death and drugs and scum away::::::__________Well, well, well. Looks like someone didn't take their happy pill today. Your attitude is like a cancer. If you think so ill of Lawrence W T F are you reading the Lawrence paper for? I bet you think you live in the "Real" America, don't ya? Get a grip, you sanctimonius gas bag!! Ya know what? They pull drunk dead kids out of ditches by the car load in rural areas. Some of the most gruesome crimes have been committed out in the country by good ole country folk. And yeah, lame-oid, Lawrence is really benefiting from that meth sourge that invaded from the surrounding rural areas. Thanks bunches, honey.You are a complete troll!!

DreamWarrior 5 years, 5 months ago

A good friend/Co-worker called me just today to tell me the terrible news! Im on leave and wouldnt have known if she didnt call. Helen was indeed a good friend and she used to sit next to me before moving up within the dept. She was a very caring person! she loved to laugh and joke...not only that she was a great person to talk to. Single mother that worked very hard to provide for her kids. Down to earth and wasnt judgmental like alot of others that we worked with. Helen you will be missed so deeply! Im thankful for the years ive known you and for being so supportive and giving to me and my baby. Im so upset right now...my prayers and heart go out to the family!

Andres91607 5 years, 5 months ago

Yes Errin Lang is daughter of former Lawrence high teacher Ron Lang. And to those people accusing my friend for driving or texting while driving shut your mouth until you have all the facts, you dont know the real reason why she lost control. Why would she be trying to text or talk on the cell phone while on the highway, she hardly uses her cell as it is. So I'm pretty sure that was not the reason

davis 5 years, 5 months ago

Helen's son Dylan Monahan's birthday is Friday. If you would like to send him a birthday card or send the family a card the address is:Dylan Monahan or Helen Moorhead FamilyPO Box 454Eudora KS 66025Helen was a wonderful Mother and raised her children to be the best they can be.

greenworld 5 years, 5 months ago

Does anyone know is Erin Lang is the daughter of LHS school teacher Ron Lang?

Pywacket 5 years, 5 months ago

Well, wasn't that special, Ms or Mr Cancer? I hope you didn't wet yourself rushing to read your own words after hitting "post comment."I'm sure no one in Lawrence, especially those who are grieving the devastating loss of a vibrant woman, really give a flying f*** what you think, but if you just HAD to share that, you could've done so on another thread. You have no class.

countrygirl 5 years, 5 months ago

Helen's co-workers at Vangent have starting collecting funds for the family. We're hoping that a memorial fund will be set up through a local bank, but if not we'll be sure that the daughter gets what we raise. Godspeed dear Helen. I hope you're looking down and see how much you are missed.

sharper 5 years, 5 months ago

Tank:That's a huge responsibility for a sister to take on when she has children of her own. She should know that members of the community are thinking about her and wishing her strength and the time to heal.

Lawrence_is_like_a_cancer 5 years, 5 months ago

no, Lawrence and the people that live in it are getting bad...............Trust me, the communities around Lawrence do not think as highly of it as you think.Keep your death and drugs and scum away..................

Tank0133 5 years, 5 months ago

As a relative of her daughter I would like to extend a thanks to all those who posted their gracious comments. Pray for the family, especially her daughter who will be taking care of her brothers...

Jaylee 5 years, 5 months ago

are we going to get anything involving the two accidents this morning?you may as well just make a tab devoted to accidents on K-10 on the site, LJW.... things are getting bad

Azure_Attitude 5 years, 5 months ago

I will miss Helen very much. I was her supervisor for two years before I moved to another section of the department. I was so proud of her when she then became a supervisor. She was completely devoted to her daughter, her boys, and her grandchildren. Yes, she was a beautiful lady, and in so many ways. I better stop . . . . I can't read mypost through the tears.

M30 5 years, 5 months ago

A word to the friends and family of Helen. I am so sorry. Helen was my friend. I loved her spirit. She was a light in my life. I will always remember her flowy dresses, colorful speach and beautiful accent. I believed her to be a beautiful person inside and out. I remember so many times how she talked of her kids and grandkids. She worked so hard, so many overtime ours at our job to support those children. Last year she worked so much overtime for them for Christmas - making sure they had what they needed and wanted.Her passing has left a hole in my heart that will be hard to fill. Vangent will be empty on the day we go to pay our respects to her and her family. But our hearts will not be - they will be heavy.I will remember her spirit and the way she always made me laugh.I pray that the family will be able to eventually feel as if they can function and feel good again. I can't imagine the fear, loss, hurt they feel. If there is anything I can possible do - I will!Love you Helen... I miss you already!

KURocks 5 years, 5 months ago

First off, maybe I'm blind, but I don't see any reference to the accident happening at K-10 and US 59. Secondly, how do you know speed was the contributing factor for this wreck. I guess it's possible the driver who caused the wreck was distracted by using her cell phone, or even worse, trying to TEXT while driving on the highway. I'm seeing more and more wrecks on K-10, and saw another one this morning that also looked serious. can't wait till the winter commute starts.

ese 5 years, 5 months ago

Why don't they let the grass grow? Long grass may help in slowing cars down that leave the pavement.

SMe 5 years, 5 months ago

I hope the investigators pull Ms. Lang's cellphone records.

fishie16 5 years, 5 months ago

Wow JimHillary.I was in an accident a little over a week ago in about the same area of K-10 while on my way to work in Lawrence. All the cars around me suddenly slammed on their brakes at the bridge just west of Eudora. I slammed on mine, and swerved to avoid the wreck right in front of me. I went flying through the median, into eastbound traffic, and my car spun 180 degrees, coming to rest facing east. By some miracle, I did not hit anything or anyone, and the other cars that wrecked only suffered minor damage, with no personal injuries (one of those cars spun as well, still in westbound lanes). Someone must have been looking out for me that day, because I thought for sure I would roll the car, as did witnesses. It was the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced in my life, and the thing is, it could have happened to anyone. I was not on my phone, messing with my radio, eating breakfast, etc. I was buckled up, going 70, and paying attention to the road. I never knew how so many cars cross over so easily either, but having just experienced it, it happens in the blink of an eye. I am shaking reading this, because I know how lucky I am to have made it through all that unscathed. My sympathies and condolences to the friends and family of this innocent woman, and my wishes for quick and full recovery to those in the other car. It could have been any one of us.

Jaylee 5 years, 5 months ago

two more accidents on the way to JC today from larry. everyone be careful!!!

JimHillaryPhd 5 years, 5 months ago

I can't take this anymore.How exactly does a car go flying across K10?BecAUSE THE DRIVER IS AN INCOMPETANT FOOL.sHE NEEDS TO BE PROSECUTED AND sued BY THE FAMILY IN CIVIL COURT.I guarantee if any of you Lawrence *ers kill any of my family members I will make you wish you were never born.And this newspaper with it's ridiculous moderators are encouraging this kind of trash.

Luxor 5 years, 5 months ago

It's always the innocent driver who winds up getting killed, not the one who caused the accident. My sympathies to Helen's friends and family.

davis 5 years, 5 months ago

igby - you just brought a smile to my face. Helen would love your comment that you thought she was 40. Yes, she was beautiful.

igby 5 years, 5 months ago

I just realized that i knew Helen. She was a very lovely lady and was very nice looking for her age of 51. I thought she was 40 or so, very attractive and pleasant to talk with. My deepest regrets to her family. She will be missed greatly.

jtaylor7787 5 years, 5 months ago

omg! Helen was my supervisor at Vangent! I can't believe this! RIP Helen Moorehead! Thanks for always being there to help me when I didn't know what to do! wow...... she was so nice! wow I don't know what to say... She was the best supervisor! My sympathy goes out to the family of this wonderful woman! wow...

davis 5 years, 5 months ago

Helen is my best friend. She had the heart of an Angel. Helen would do anything for a person. She was totally devoted to her children and grandchildren. I moved away from Lawrence a few weeks ago, Helen and the boys were there to help me pack and Helen was made a special trip the morning I left to say goodbye. Anyone that had the pleasure of making Helen's aquaintance is a better person for it. If a memorial fund could be set up, that would be great, so they have assistance with expenses, and set up a college fund for the boys. Can someone let us know how we go about setting this up for the family?

toe 5 years, 5 months ago

These crossovers have to end. Ask the candidates if they will support crossover barriers. Vote for the one that will support them.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 5 months ago

A thing to think about and pray about is how this family is going to cope. I don't know if Helen was with anyone but if not, then she was a single parent raising two young boys. Also Amy is the oldest and closest family member so a lot of the responsibilities for the next few days and possibly for her brothers are going to be handed to her. She has three young children and I cannot imagine the financial burden let alone the emotional burden. They didn't have a lot of family out here so honestly, if there's a memorial fund and people can contribute, I know this is one family that'd appreciate it. If not, a prayer and a thought is also always greatly appreciated. I know I'll be trying to visit and be with Amy tomorrow. I'm just in total shock.

David Lignell 5 years, 5 months ago

acorn, noname and Dejac.... Condolences. My heart goes out to you and to the Moorhead family for the tragic death of Helen. I have always worried about traffic accidents, especially as my kids begin to drive on their own. I pray for the family and their grieving now.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 5 months ago

Helen's daughter was one of my best friends in high school. I just found out and I am shaking. I can't get a hold of anyone to talk to them. Helen was like a mother figure to me and truly a wonderful lady. It's ironic to be someone commenting on an article as a person who is affected and deeply saddened by this loss instead of just a third party reader. Please be respectful, I know you'll try. She really was such a nice lady. Her poor boys, and poor Amy. I haven't seen her since high school but we talk on the computer sometimes. I just hope I can get a hold of her. I feel so sorry for them right now.

granola 5 years, 5 months ago

There has been WAY too many vehicular related deaths in and around this twon lately. We as a community need to step up...remind people to drive the speed limit, WEAR SEATBELTS, never drink and drive. Just remind a few of your friends and hopefully they will remind a few of theirs and so on.The woman that has passed and those that were injured are in my thoughts. As for you that NEVER EVER seem to show ANY compassion on these forums.....GO TAKE A LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE IF YOU REALLY LIKE WHAT YOU SEE. My guess is you won't.

noname1978 5 years, 5 months ago

Helen was my boss at Vangent up until last month when I moved departments, she was a great woman and I will miss her very much, my heart goes out to her children/grandchildren and the rest of her family.

Kendall Simmons 5 years, 5 months ago

I've known her daughter and grandkids for ages. They're wonderful. The daughter's mother-in-law, a dear friend of mine, called me with the terrible news.This is heartbreaking for the entire family.

Pywacket 5 years, 5 months ago

eflorence01~ My deepest condolences to you and the family of your beloved friend. It's horrifying that she was going innocently about her life, doing nothing wrong, and was snuffed out in an instant. This is one of those things that could happen to anyone, and thus makes us pause to reflect on how precious and fleeting life really is.Apparently, "pack of immaturity" has never lost a loved one or perhaps has no friends or family--otherwise, he/she/it would not make purposely hurtful comments.I think most of the posters do not mean any harm--it's natural to discuss serious local news and to speculate on the details not yet known... but obviously a lot of posters need to practice thinking before typing.

TheOriginalCA 5 years, 5 months ago

It is time to put something in the median to prevent out of control vehicles from crossing over to the other side. Even if it is a fence of two or three cables that is better than nothing. How many more serious accidents is it going to take to get this addressed? Not saying that this is what happened today, but typically people drive way too fast and lose control on Killer 10 Highway.

packs_of_wild_dogzz 5 years, 5 months ago

No offense, but I'd say if you don't like the comments on a forum don't read it. Seriously, what do you expect?

eflorence01 5 years, 5 months ago

I knew Helen Moorehead and I am appalled at the lack of compassion you freakin' people are displaying!!!!!!!! She was one of the FEW decent people around here and this "community" was better off having had her in it!!! She was an amazing mother, a wonderful friend, and she was just a really good person!!! I am better off having known her even if it was such a short time!! Her family (she had 2 small children, a daughter, small grandchildren, and a husband) are in my thoughts.

packs_of_wild_dogzz 5 years, 5 months ago

"i now have a bigger fear of driving than ever,"Please tell me this is a joke. Granted, not the time or place but this cannot possibly be a serious statement. LMAO

packs_of_wild_dogzz 5 years, 5 months ago

for some real entertainment start reading each post from the first one to the last.

Melanie Birge 5 years, 5 months ago

Someone lost a Mother, Sister, Aunt, Niece, Coworker or a Best Friend. This could have been yours. Please Drive Careful People and remember this could have Been your Loved ONE! Deepest thoughts to the Family.

sharper 5 years, 5 months ago

What a terrible tragedy. I give my heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of the victim.

Nikki May 5 years, 5 months ago

cricket23, the death announcement came in after most of the previous posts.I'm sorry to hear someone died though. My thoughts are still with the families.

questionthings 5 years, 5 months ago

This is a sad thing to happen. My thoughts go to the families of all involved.How many people have been killed or injured while drive on this highway in the last 10 years? How many is it a result of someone crossing the median?

password 5 years, 5 months ago

so sad and terrible that this happened. i now have a bigger fear of driving than ever, cause you never know what the other drivers are gonna do. btw - it doesn't look like the same video the helicopter is a different color.

cricket23 5 years, 5 months ago

you all should be ashamed, a woman died!!!!!!!

lawrenceguy40 5 years, 5 months ago

LJW - the green source for news - they recycle it!http://www2.ljworld.com/videos/2008/oct/08/20948/Same video! From October 8th.Is there an award for re-using old video?

lawrenceguy40 5 years, 5 months ago

Is that the correct video? The shadows seem to be in the wrong place for morning and it seems almost the same as the video from an accident at the 1057 interchange two weeks ago....It is time to push for barriers down the center of K-10.

jhawkfan05 5 years, 5 months ago

WOW!!! Can you tell me where K-10 West of Eudora meets with US-59 Highway???

BenSmith 5 years, 5 months ago

I just hit refresh and the page fixed itself. There really arent many ads on the page - check out the Star's website for instance. Plus there arent any of the pop-up or pop-under ads that you keep having to close. It's not a subscriber based site so of course there are going to be ads. Most sites really do have a lot more (and a lot more obnoxious) than the few ads on the ljworld pages.

Lenette Hamm 5 years, 5 months ago

Three - maybe 4 - people injured and all a bunch of you are whining about is how the page formats on your computer. Such compassion!!Drive the speed limit. Wear seat belts always. Leave the cell phone/radio/kids/dog/newspaper/breakfast/makeup alone when you drive!!!

mustbhiorlo 5 years, 5 months ago

poor accident victims ok that out of the way, let's not forget that LJW is just a small town newspaper, they can't be expected to know about proper ad placement as say a KC Star does, or CNN or any of the big newspapers that have money to spend on studying proper ad placement and the effect on viewers of bad ad placement. Forget about the majority, LJW is going with the minority on this one! Just go to the www.kansan.com site and check out how the pros do it!

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 5 months ago

I was westbound on K-10 just after the accident. I, and many others, stopped to render aide as one car was on fire and the driver was trapped. A trucker had a fire extinguisher and put out the car fire so we could safely see to the driver. She was badly injured, but conscious. It was a terrible seen. I ended with blood and dirt on my uniform. So forgive me if I don't give a crap about pop-up ads - gees.Something needs to be done about slowing down or stopping median crossings. It happens way too frequently on K-10. Please, slow down and wear your seatbelts!!! Air bags may save lives, but they don't stop the body from moving forward and jamming under the sterring wheel. Slowing down adds time to react, so Yes, there may have been a different outcome.

eudoramommy 5 years, 5 months ago

I feel terrible for these families but I don't understand if you take the time to seatbelt your child why you wouldn't use your own seatbelt. They are installed into your car for a reason.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

If we were all riding lawnmowers, this accident would not have been so severe.

pip2006 5 years, 5 months ago

My thoughts and prayers are to the family. I live just off 1057--I have seen so many accidents on this stretch of highway. Something needs to be done. I don't have the answers though. I drive the speed limit, I wear my seatbelt and pray that others have respect of the highway and road system.

tanaumaga 5 years, 5 months ago

has kdot ever considered putting those cables down the middle of k 10 to prevent crossover collisions?

Pink_Sock 5 years, 5 months ago

Hey you uneducated internet users. Use a different browser, and quit relying on internet explorer. You pay for internet access. Not for LJworld.com to provide the news. Also internet access also is a "use at own risk" service. You are responsible for all material viewed. If you do not understand the how's and the why's, please educate yourself before pointing fingers.

UfoPilot 5 years, 5 months ago

The answer to the formating problem you have is to set the default font size smaller.

bambi 5 years, 5 months ago

I wonder if the adults would have been wearing their seat belts if their injuries may have been fewer. But since there is no information regarding injuries yet, we'll just have to wait and see. My prayers are with the families. I pray that little child has parents to take care of her. And that the driver of the other car is well also. I wonder if there were some medical condition that made her loose control of her vehicle and cross the median? Was she a night shift employee who fell asleep going home? Just as dangerous.

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 5 months ago

You're all correct. It certainly didn't happen west of U.S. Highway 59. That's what KHP gave us but we've since double-checked and taken out the bad info.Thanks,Jonathan KealingOnline editor

Cynthia Schott 5 years, 5 months ago

Please, please wear your seat belts!

Outsidelookingin 5 years, 5 months ago

I hope everyone recoveries from this terrible accident.While everyone is complaining about the ads, I'm still trying to figure out where US 59 crosses K-10 just west of Eudora.

bambi 5 years, 5 months ago

I question the discription of where the wreck happened. "the U.S. Highway 59 junction" would be Iowa Street in Lawrence. Could it have been K-1057 (1900 RD by the old golf course)?

blue73harley 5 years, 5 months ago

If we still traveled by horse this accident either would not have happened or would not have been as severe.

Sean Rudisel 5 years, 5 months ago

Isn't "just west of the U.S. Highway 59 junction" Iowa street?

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 5 months ago

gccs14r, if the speed limit were 55 all that would be different is that the speed limit was 55. There is no evidence at all that excessive speed was the cause of the crash so far, and no evidence that following your imaginary restrictions would have helped. Sad that some people have to point fingers at victims while they are still in hospital beds with NO information.

mistygreen 5 years, 5 months ago

I hope all will be ok. Sorry to hear some were not wearing seat belts.

gccs14r 5 years, 5 months ago

If the speed limit were 55, this accident either would not have happened or would not have been as severe. Hope everyone comes out OK, though.

dajudge 5 years, 5 months ago

I tried shift+F5 and it did nothing.Then I tried control+F5 and that worked.Were any lemurs hurt?

starbucks 5 years, 5 months ago

hard news update:silver car traveling eastbound came across median and slammed head-on to maroon/red car traveling westbound. k-10 shut down for 50+ minutes westbound. 3 life flight helicopters.jaws of life were brought out, not sure if they were used.

Nikki May 5 years, 5 months ago

and, I came not to troubleshoot, but to see the update. I do hope all is well.

supercowbellninja 5 years, 5 months ago

So the timestamp on the story keeps changing to say it was updated mere minutes ago, yet all that's changed is a new giant shot of helicopters in the sky....How about some hard news updates to the TEXT of the story?

Tab 5 years, 5 months ago

How sad that there are several people injured and all you people can do if fuss about the ads. Try having a conscience and thinking about the people that were hurt this morning and the affects that their family and friends are going through when they get the horrible phone call that their loved one has been injured.My thoughts go out to all injured persons & their families.

Nikki May 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm using firefox and it's fine. I don't use adblocker (believe it or not, some ads I like). Anyway, what screen resolution are you using, and did you use the f5 for refreshing or the little reload thing on the browser window? Try shift f5. It may be resolution though.

mustbhiorlo 5 years, 5 months ago

shift and refresh doesn't fix the lousy layout in firefox either. LJW whoever thought this was satisfactory is a genius!

mustbhiorlo 5 years, 5 months ago

oh and pushing all the buttons did not change the horrible layout, FYI using Google Chrome.

mustbhiorlo 5 years, 5 months ago

... not a pleasant experience being forced to read the story with the text all around the ad. The ad on the right was one thing, but with ads on the left and right now this is horrible, i'm nobody, but i can't see reading this paper anymore if it continues to follow this standard, more morons to complain about i guess....

Sheila Hooper White 5 years, 5 months ago

well said, majiktami. our prayers go out to the families. hope everyone is okay!

majiktami 5 years, 5 months ago

Pop up blocker. works for me. I sure hope everyone involved is ok. Breaks my heart that you are all b*tching about ads, not caring too much about the people who ar einvolved. Very sad.

starbucks 5 years, 5 months ago

SMe:The vehicles in the westbound lane at the front of the picture is the accident scene....right across from that large cross on the south side of K-10.

couranna1 5 years, 5 months ago

They got ya that time merrill

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 5 months ago

"After all this is not a free service."Um, I must not be getting my bill in the mail each month.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 5 months ago

And yes, it is a free service. You pay nothing to read it.

Phil Minkin 5 years, 5 months ago

merrill (Anonymous) says: Should viewers actually be expected to jump through hoops to read the news? After all this is not a free service.Wow! If pushing 2 buttons is too onerous a task, maybe you should just read the hard copy. It's only free because of ads. Even NPR and PBS need user funds to exist.

SMe 5 years, 5 months ago

Merrill and others. Seems Firefox is handling the page formatting (and refreshing) differently than IE. What bothers me is the why 'cause Firefox is more accurate than IE and a simple "refresh" should solve the problem. As far as the article is concerned. Yes, I hope all are alright but with Three helicopters that seems very unlikely. I do wish the location was more defined - there's seven miles between West of Eudora and East of Lawrence. The photo looks like it might have been taken looking East from the overpass at 1057.Oh no! I just saw Bernaneke thinks another stimulus check will help the economy! "Another day older and deeper in debt." What can you buy for $600 that's made in America and going to help our economy?!

hugitout 5 years, 5 months ago

Actually, it is a free service.

starbucks 5 years, 5 months ago

Judging by the lack of hurried-ness of the emergency responders, i'm not too confident that we escaped fatalities in this accident. it was really terrible. would love to know how on a clear, dry morning a guy crosses the median. questions for another day. just pray for these individuals, they need it.

supercowbellninja 5 years, 5 months ago

Peaty knows where it's at - get the Firefox ad blocker and this won't be a problem for any of whiners.As for the story itself, I hope everyone involved in the accident is OK.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 5 months ago

Peaty 5 years, 5 months ago

I hope the people involved are OK.for the ads, I use Firefox with the plug in Ad block plus. The ads don't show up.

starbucks 5 years, 5 months ago

I was right behind where traffic was stopped. This thing was brutal, please pray for the families. 3 Life Flights showed up (only one seemed to get in and out of there quickly). Car traveling east went across the median and slammed head on into a car traveling westbound. Eastbound car was silver and ended up in the ditch down below on north shoulder. I took some cell phone pics, PM me if any one is interested.

yankeelady 5 years, 5 months ago

Thanks--it worked at least for the moment. I thought it was my computer

mistygreen 5 years, 5 months ago

Seems to be working fine for me. Not a fan of the amount of ads, but they have to pay the bills.

anneht 5 years, 5 months ago

Doesn't work for me! I am really teed off at having part of every important story blocked out,,, I read the paper online to save money, but feel I am paying plenty in cable fees that I should be able to read the news without impediment. Please do something to eleminate this annoyance! Thank you.

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 5 months ago

Hi,We resized our inline ads Friday and for some users this has left our text covered by the ads. If you hold down SHIFT and click refresh, your problem should be taken care of. If that doesn't solve the problem, please let me know.Thanks,Jonathan KealingOnline editor

Trobs 5 years, 5 months ago

Good to know I'm not the only one seeing that.

Uilleann 5 years, 5 months ago

It would be nice if the web producers could format their pages so that ads don't cover up the story.