Letters to the Editor

Keep pets in

October 19, 2008

To the editor:

There is an easy way to keep our pets safe from sick, cruel people. Don't let cats outside. They are happy to stay inside. Dogs, by law, should be in a fenced area or on a leash. That is easy.

I abhor the fact there are people who kill pets. The fact is, there are some at work in our city.

Marg Hadl,
Lawrence

Comments

sjschlag 6 years, 2 months ago

I let my cat outside, and he always comes when I call him.

Zype 6 years, 2 months ago

Excellent post, seriouscat.Both my cats enjoy coming in at night, but during the day, if you don't let them out, they'll make it quite clear how displeased they are with you both vocally and by wreaking havoc on the house.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 6 years, 2 months ago

I have three cats and all live indoors. We used to have dogs (one at a time), and although they were on a leash outside, they would attract fleas and I even had to remove a few ticks from these hounds. Fleas infested our couch and chairs and it was not a pleasant situation. Yes, I know there are numerous solutions to these infestations, but I simply had all I could stand with this problem and after the dogs got old and passed on, I decided to try the feline solution. All three cats have lived indoors since birth, and have free roam of the house, including the basement with its nooks and crannies. We have daily races through the house and down the basement stairs, they like to sit in the window sills in the sun and hiss at any animals they see outside. But we do not have flea and tick problems anymore, and they all seem to be quite content to stay inside and pull out their food dishes when hungry, chase their toys and each other, and sleep on the foot of the bed and in the clothes basket at night. I am convinced that this is the best arrangement, and am happy that none of my cats is exposed to the hazards that exist outside, especially in light of the presence of twisted and vicious human hazards that seem to exist in our midst.

seriouscat 6 years, 2 months ago

I have to disagree. Some pets are not happy to be confined to the indoors. I had two cats for 15 years. One was a male Blue Russian and the other was a tortoise shell (these and calicos are always female). The blue Russian was a very social cat and spent all 15 of those years happily roaming the neighborhood. The tortoise shell would rarely go outside and when it did, it would never leave the yard. It depends on the 'personality' (or breed I believe) of the animal.My point is this: one should not let generalizations or phobias be the guiding principle in how to raise an animal as one's pet.Of course animals should be confined when one knows that there is a psycho in the area intent on inflicting harm. But that's just common sense. I think it's cruel force an animal who otherwise would be happier to go out and explore to stay inside for their whole lifetime. If you really can't stomach the risks that go with an outdoor cat, please do some research and get yourself a breed that is naturally more reticent to begin with (calico's are notoriously neurotic so get one of those).

honestone 6 years, 2 months ago

My cat lives indoors and I don't have a dog but my yard is full of other peoples pets and their waste. It seems that if people were responsible they would care for their pets rather then just let them run. Come on people. If you love your pet so much...take care of it.

Corey Williams 6 years, 2 months ago

In my lifetime, my parents and myself have had 7 cats. None of them were purebred in anyway and none of them were allowed outside unsupervised. They somehow managed to survive. There doesn't have to be a "psycho in the area intent on inflicting harm". Quite a few people in the world think nothing of tormenting any kind of animal that crosses their path. Part of being a responsible pet owner is knowing where your pet is. Would you just open the door and let your child(ren) run outside to go wherever?

Corey Williams 6 years, 2 months ago

No, but I know that my cats are inside the house at any time of the day.

Zype 6 years, 2 months ago

Do you know the precise location of your children at every second of the day?

gr 6 years, 2 months ago

"and I don't have a dog but my yard is full of other peoples pets and their waste. .... If you love your pet so much:take care of it."What stone is really saying is that if you love your neighbor, don't let you dog make a mess in his yard!Actually, if you love animals, you would not confine one and call it a "pet". If you insist on having a pet for your own selfish interests, confining it to the house is cruel. But, since Lawrence is against freedom (and more so than just freedom of animal movements), maybe people should not have pets in Lawrence. Are you willing to give up having a pet if it shows you love animals?Nah.... I didn't think so.Because you WANT one.