Archive for Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Police receive report of another cat mutilation

Another mutilated cat was discovered in Lawrence by a man mowing a lawn, police said Wednesday.

October 15, 2008, 11:22 a.m. Updated October 15, 2008, 4:39 p.m.

Bob Bender, a Dowing's Lawn Care worker, said he saw the front half of the calico cat around 5 p.m. Friday by a small creek near Eighth Street and Monterey Way.

"It had just been cut clean in half," said Bender, who was on a yard service job when he made the discovery. "For a second, I thought maybe we had mowed over it, but we hadn't been over there yet."

Bender said it didn't look like the cat had been there any longer than a day.

"It looked like somebody's pet," he said. "I have a cat and it's pretty crazy, I've never seen anything like that before."

The cat was found about a mile from where neighbors said several other mutilated cats were found in late September, in the 3200 block of West Ninth Street. That's where Mark McCanon found his 13-year-old Manx cat, Sugar, laid out in his back yard on Sept. 29. He said someone had cut it open with a knife and gutted it, leaving the cat's hind legs and tail nearby.

McCanon said three of his neighbors also found their cats mutilated in their yards on different occasions. Lawrence Police said they're investigating multiple reports of animal cruelty in the neighborhood.

The severed head of a cat was also found in nearby Centennial Park, said Midge Grinstead, Lawrence Humane Society executive director.

Bender, Grinstead and McCanon said another animal could not have been responsible for the cat mutilations, because there was no blood nearby, no teeth tears and no puncture wounds.

The Humane Society of the United States, the nation's largest animal protection organization, in conjunction with the Lawrence Humane Society, announced Monday that it's offering a reward of up to $2,500 to anyone with information leading to the conviction of those responsible for any of the cat killings. Tips can be called into Lawrence police or callers can leave an anonymous tip on the Crimestoppers hotline, 843-TIPS.

"Somebody knows something and I just wish they would call in," Grinstead said.

There have been 20 animal cruelty cases reported in Douglas County this year, compared with three or four cases in a typical year, Grinstead said.

She's recommending people keep their animals inside.

"I can't imagine letting an animal out with this going on," said Grinstead. "If the cat has to go out, get a harness, put it on a leash and go out with it. ... It's better than the alternative."

Comments

tanaumaga 6 years, 2 months ago

windlass, your pit bull comment makes you a bigger idiot than the others. this 'person' doing this to the cats is reading and feeding off of all of this.....and if that is true, then hear this- we know your hurting,...there are people that can help you. please find that help because you're not impressing anybody.

Unknown500 6 years, 2 months ago

I cant believe somebody would eve do this, i hope they get caught and they get the same thing done to them.

leadstone 6 years, 2 months ago

Looks like they are gearing up for a really spooky Halloween. Maybe they think they are witches. I've known people that claim to be WITCHES, but personally, I just think they got the pronounciation wrong.

Bossa_Nova 6 years, 2 months ago

this is disgusting. what kind of michael vick psychos are doing this in lawrence? this is a precursor to serial killing. i say find 'em and put 'em in jail for this perverted behavior

yankeelady 6 years, 2 months ago

I hope the person doing this is caught soon. It is hard to think of anything that could possibly "justify" killing innocent pets. Please people, keep the cats indoors, and it wouldn't hurt to watch the little dogs as well. My condolences to the families of these beloved pets.

budwhysir 6 years, 2 months ago

I thought we had just mowed it over. NOw thats a comment you wont hear tomorrow morning

Polly_Gomer 6 years, 2 months ago

hawkperchedatriverfront (Anonymous) says:"bozo thinks abused kids are doing this, not in Lawrence , with all the money spent on WRAP"Hawk, you are an idiot.

alm77 6 years, 2 months ago

LJW, thanks for updating this story.4thgen, cat on a leash? HAHAHAHA!! Not this furball!! I'd be the one getting mutilated. Maybe if he were younger. I will find some alternative though, one that's safe for both of us.

Christine Anderson 6 years, 2 months ago

Let me at 'em!!! If this devil of a person or persons is ever caught, I wish I could have the freak's hands tied behind their back and then let my cats go at it!I don't think I'm articulate enough to describe how angry this makes me! To think that the animals being horribly murdered have a spirit which is far more gentle than that of this wretched individual.I've got to get home and hug my kitties!My apologies to the people who are urging this sicko to get help. This person needs help alright; the kind of "help" that fellow prison inmates dish out!

FMT6488 6 years, 2 months ago

It's been said before, but I'll repeat it - Many (but NOT all) serial killers used to mutilate and torture small animals before moving on to larger things. . .

ExoThermic 6 years, 2 months ago

Religious cults evidently don't do this sort of thing .. review the third link in the following post re: Satanic-cult Hypothesis a Mythhttp://wichita.craigslist.org/rnr/862183082.html

Quigly 6 years, 2 months ago

Well well well, it seems Lawrence has our own little Ed Gein in the making.

Danimal 6 years, 2 months ago

Okay LPD and amateur detectives here's what you do. Plot all the cat mutilations on a map and draw a circle, your cat mutilator lives in that area and probably resides nearest to the majority of the mutilations, canvas the neighborhood. Ask around, see if anybody has a weird kid or has been acting strangely. Should be pretty much the same as catching a serial killer. Lets get this person(s) before they escalate to killing people.On a side note, I live a few blocks away and the neighborhood cats that used to hang out with us whenever we would be on the back patio have disappeared. I don't know if someone has taken them in to protect them, or they have become victims.

ForThePeople 6 years, 2 months ago

OK, I get it now Exo, you think it's aliens doing this. I seriously hadn't put two and two together there...shaking my head. So do you have google alerts for other possible "alien" acts of crime?

kmat 6 years, 2 months ago

One thing that stuck out in a previous article about this was that the cats are drained of all blood. Could there be some sick idiots that play the vampire game and are doing these sick acts for the blood? There are actually sites that sell blood and it is well known that some of these "wanna be vampires" purchase animal blood online. Could be totally wrong, but it kind of makes sense.I would love to get my hands on the a-hole(s) doing this. I would happily spend time in jail for taking out any sicko that wants to hurt these poor "furry kids".I never underestimate the sickness of these people. When I moved into the house I live in now, my neighbor saw I had cats (that only can go in the backyard while supervised) and informed me that if he ever saw them get in his yard, he'd kill them. He also has spoken about intentionally hitting animals with his truck when he can (truck driver). He didn't think it was too funny when I told him he'd better never let his kids get in my yard then. After getting to know him, I never doubted that he would have killed my cats and had fun doing it. thank god he moved!

kmat 6 years, 2 months ago

alm77 - I wouldn't be letting your cat out at all. Whoever is doing this could easily grab a cat in daylight too. And also don't think that coyotes don't get cats just at night. I've seen them hunting in the afternoons in "rural" Lawrence.

Ryan Wood 6 years, 2 months ago

This sounds like someone is training to be a serial killer.

tanaumaga 6 years, 2 months ago

p.s., pick on somebody my size and see what happens

N_Trenched 6 years, 2 months ago

Did someone watch Conspiracy Theory this morning?

ksgal1971 6 years, 2 months ago

Attention cat owners: Please keep your cats inside. It is too dangerous for them to be roaming outside.

ExoThermic 6 years, 2 months ago

For The People - what's the insinuation? I did it? - tee hee :)And as for gruesome - well mutilation tends to have that sort of over-tone to it. Now is not the time (nor the place) for squeamishness. Our pets deserve to be better served than as may be dictated by your delicate constitution. And why do you NOT have a greater vested interest in our animals welfare? And why have you not more thoroughly 'connected the dots' in my long list of links? Hmm? These are pertinent / salient/ sentient questions and observations you should be directing inwards and not outwards. As for when I registered? It's when 'another cat mutilation' news link showed up in my Google Alerts - you should set up Google Alerts for just this sort of thing. It's a re-occurring thing. Like I said Super Duper High-Strangeness. I'm not the author - I'm the letter-carrier. Don't shoot me!

alm77 6 years, 2 months ago

Eww. Good to know. Thanks. I just hate it when he cries and cries and cries to go chase crickets and locusts and the occasional mole in the backyard. And I know he needs the exercise.

Onasis 6 years, 2 months ago

FMT6488 wrote:"Many (but NOT all) serial killers used to mutilate and torture small animals before moving on to larger things. . ."That's why when the responsible are caught they should be justly punished. This is not far from my house, but luckily I don't have cats.

ExoThermic 6 years, 2 months ago

Someone please review this link .. notice the common factorshttp://wichita.craigslist.org/rnr/862183082.htmlsurgical precision - no bite marks - no blood - no signs of struggle. remains found in owner's front yard or neighbors backyard - huge rewards have no impact - never any arrests - other pets don't sound the alarm - happens often in a very narrow 'window of opportunity' - may see a year or two hiatus before striking again. Super high-strangeness - to be sure!

kmat 6 years, 2 months ago

alm77 - it took me a long time to "tame" my cats so that they were mostly happy to stay in their yard, supervised. Take you cat out, just hang outside with your cat. I don't let mine out of my site and over time they've learned that they are supposed to stay in their yard. If I don't watch them, then they think it's a free for all and go over the fence. I used to have a cat that would roam for days. After losing one cat to a "hit and run" accident in front of our house, we decided to keep the rest of our cats in. My one boy would cry and cry at the door. A few months later, he had become such a wussy that he wouldn't go outside in the backyard much unless I was with him. It takes a while, but they learn.Please do take your cat out. Just stay with him/her for now.

ExoThermic 6 years, 2 months ago

Danimal - since when have we become experts on alien excursions? All bets are off when it comes to aliens and fuel economy. 30 LY's might be a walk in the park for them .. we have no clue. Not the slightest. Meanwhile the cats continue getting chopped-in-half and mysteriously exsanguinated (suffering hypovolemia) i.e. complete loss of blood < this is definitely a re-occurring theme - along with the surgically-precise nature of the various cuts and incisions. I reformulated my link a little .. and again gruesomeness and mutilation go hand in hand. Consider yourself advised: http://wichita.craigslist.org/rnr/880646681.html

olmsted78 6 years, 2 months ago

The person is psychopathic. They likely are craving attention whether they'd admit it or not. They want to evoke horror, shock, and fear. They deserve to be punished...but urging help and strong consultation/psychiatric therapy, in an effort try to eliminate/grasp the further threat that this individual potentially may possess to everyone involved is a valid recourse, if not an effective one. .....As much as it feels very appeasing to think of this person being dished up a heavy dose of their own frickin' medicine. ....they probably need some severe help more than anything else, believe it or not.

Danimal 6 years, 2 months ago

And another thing real quickly for ExoThermic, aliens wouldn't travel 30-some light years to mutilate a domesticated cat. However, some sick SOB would range over a several block area in Lawrence to get their kicks on hurting animals.

guesswho 6 years, 2 months ago

I say when this person is found, let a tiger or lion have some fun.....paybacks are you-know-what

ForThePeople 6 years, 2 months ago

Anonymous userExoThermic (Anonymous) says:Religious cults evidently don't do this sort of thing .. review the third link in the following post re: Satanic-cult Hypothesis a Mythhttp://wichita.craigslist.org/rnr/862183:Exo, you seem to have an unusual interest in this. I've noticed you registered after Sugar was killed and have yet to post on any other topic. And the links are, well, rather gruesome.This is just horrible to hear that it has happened yet again. I will rest much easier once the perp has been apprehended.

ExoThermic 6 years, 2 months ago

ExoThermic 6 years, 2 months ago

Well now you are getting closer to the truth of the matter. But bear in mind - truth is way stranger than fiction. And I notice I've at least got your attention. Are you seeing a consistent pattern including a lack of forensic evidence? Never an obvious explanation with surprisingly few dog on cat attacks. I'm in discussion with your local law enforcement - they are aware of the true metrics behind these attacks. I'm not convinced you're ready for it. And besides - I'll never see any of the thousands upon thousands in reward monies .. I've told the cops what's behind this but you have to do your own cyber homework. I'm not even going to give out clues .. you snoop those links thoroughly - you might figure it out. Who am I? The Salvation Army? I don't think so. You keep snoopin. Distill your own Google Alert parameters (from those links) - that's washer and dryer science - certainly not rocket science.

4thgencowgirl 6 years, 2 months ago

If you think your cat needs to go out for some exercise put them on a leash and walk them. This is horrible what is happening. What a warped person or persons.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 2 months ago

It's a good possibility that whoever is doing this has already had very bad things done to them-- abused kids all too often end up being abusers themselves.

Trobs 6 years, 2 months ago

Hand whoever is doing it over to "Bubba" in jail. Death is too easy of a sentence for someone like this.

sugars_mom 6 years, 2 months ago

I was hoping (somewhat niavely) going public when Sugar was killed would stop the violence. Apparently it only slowed it a bit that we know of. Please keep you loved pets inside until the killer(s) are caught. The Human Society has offered a reward for the capture of this fiend so please if anyone knows anything ... Do the right thing!

ToteAlongShaker 6 years, 2 months ago

i'm going to bet this is being done by teenagers roaming around at night who think this kind of stuff is funny. i hope whoever it is gets caught soon. i also agree, leave your cats INSIDE!

alm77 6 years, 2 months ago

Found at 5PM? Does this mean it happened in daylight hours? Has the cats owner been notified? When was the last time this cat was seen alive? I've been letting my kitty out during daylight, but not after dark. This happened not far from our home. Now what?Wait a minute... didn't this happen last time on a Tuesday?

imaLttlGrl 6 years, 2 months ago

This is so disgusting. My girls are strictly indoors but sometimes I let them out on the patio on their harnesses, that even makes me nervous because I'm afraid now for people to even know that I have cats! It seems that just by having cats you become a target and mine sit at the window all day every day. I have become terrified of the idea of someone possibly watching them.This is really unfortunate, my condolences to the families who have lost their members, especially if they were your "kiddies". I hope this sicko gets caught.P.S. - to whoever said that "most" college students and adults treat their pets like crap, "most" do not. I am a college student and my pets are my life, literally more like my children than anything else and I have friends who are college students as well and share the same care philosophy. You should really change that to "some" or "many", "most" is extreme and completely inaccurate considering that in America we tend to treat our pets better than the children.

ModSquadGal 6 years, 2 months ago

Seriously, if anyone has ANY information, please call the police. This is not the time to just write this off as some silly kids, or just because it's close to Halloween. Whomever is doing this is SERIOUSLY SICK and will more likely than not go on to hurting kids or adults. Even if you don't care about the animals, care enough that this type of behavior is completely abhorrent in any form.AND PLEASE KEEP YOUR CATS INDOORS! There is NO REASON for them to be outside! If you truly care about them, don't even take a chance.

Becca 6 years, 2 months ago

Wow, why am I not surprised that it's taken almost a month and they still haven't found who's responsible?

crazyleaflady 6 years, 2 months ago

nedcolt,Last time I checked, coyotes and foxes aren't capable of wielding knives. The pattern here has been careful dismemberment, according to the police.As for college students mistreating pets: yeah, I've seen the college kids who get a cat or dog and leave it outside with a bowl of cat food and assume that's fine (in fact we 'adopted' a cat in that very situation when the kids across the street left their beautiful young cat outside for the weekend with no water and a half-bowl of cheap Alley Cat kibble. They came home and saw the cat coming in and out of our house and us calling his name--same name they gave him--and didn't care at all. The vet said he was very underweight. Now he's a happy spoiled indoor cat with another owner and everyone is presumably happier). But no, it isn't all college students, and college students aren't the only ones who do it. Just talk to the folks at the animal shelter. What I'm saying is that animal neglect of that sort I would attribute to stupidity and immaturity. Animal dismemberment is attributable to psychosis.What's creepy to me is that the killer(s) seem to know where the cats live, and they seem to be taking the cats away and then bringing them back--why else hasn't anyone heard them being slaughtered? I'm with the pre-serial-killer hypothesis. And although my cats have passed (old age), I'm still worried: certainly for other pet owners, but more for my child who lives in a town with a serial-killer-to-be.Please, if you know anything, help the police catch this person! This is a known sign of serious mental illness and this person needs to be stopped for everyone's sake.

nedcolt 6 years, 2 months ago

FOX...they need to investigate further. I live just north of town.I found one of my cats ,(just the head was left) in my back yard,,and there was no blood by the way,//and I noticed some fur here and there over a week before from some of my other cats that are gone//anyway the next morning I shot a fox with a kitten in his mouth,they are a problem as the weather gets cool this time of year,I also had a yorkie dog killed by a coyote a few yrs ago.. Grinsted set a trap,,NOT A HUMAN>>>>>>>AN ANIMAL

kmat 6 years, 2 months ago

Yep, I highly doubt that little green men are mutilating kitties. Exo definitely seems like a nut. Although I don't doubt that there could be other life forms in this universe, I don't think if they exist they are killing cats. There's got to be better stuff in this whole big universe to do. Ha ha.

kmat 6 years, 2 months ago

Is anyone else thinking that ExoThermic should be investigated? Something isn't quite right here. He/she thinks they know what is going on, supposedly talking to the police (I doubt it) and taunting others to do research and supposedly figure out what only he/she has been able to figure out. Plus, only commenting on these mutilation cases and didn't register on here until these cases were in the news.Something isn't right with this user. I think I'll call Midge this afternoon.nedcolt - this is not a coyote or fox. Midge knows her stuff. What has been done to these cats is not what another animal would do. And, other animals wouldn't be leaving bloodless bodies behind. All I can tell you is trust what Midge and the police are telling you. There is nothing that Midge cares about more and knows more about that her animals. She lives for them and is so knowledgable.

dweezil222 6 years, 2 months ago

I really hope the cops figure this out. Well-documented studies suggest this is a starting point for a number of serial killers, and all we need is another sick bastard like BTK or John Robinson on the loose.

Becca 6 years, 2 months ago

Hey, you guys, watch out about that mental illness stuff. I got my **** jumped on the other article for saying the very same thing.

onlymee 6 years, 2 months ago

first off, i feel for the ones who have lost there pets to the sicko out there! i wish the sicko would get ahold of my crazy cat, he would get what he deserved, trust me, the cat is honestly crazy, it was a drop off wild one, and if you are a stranger he will attack you like he is a dog, no kidding, he has gave stiches before, i pray that the sicko gets busted soon, cmon someone knows and needs the reward, turn the person in,,,

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 2 months ago

JW, if this keeps happening, please keep it in the news. It's important people hear about it, even if it gets old.

aha 6 years, 2 months ago

This is scary. I am worried for my friends and their pets who live in the area.

sugars_mom 6 years, 2 months ago

This has been going on for a lot longer than a month and only reported a little over 2 weeks ago. We heard from a number of people after going public that had lost their pet in a similar manner. Please anyone who knows anything call the police or the tips hotline.

ForThePeople 6 years, 2 months ago

kmat - I think Exo is just a woo-woo. He/she believes, from what I can gather that the perp/s are aliens. While I like a good conspiracy as much as the next guy, I'm not buying the alien theory.

ExoThermic 6 years, 2 months ago

http://www.ktka.com/news/2008/oct/16/reward_offered_after_another_mutilated_cat_found/"McCanon and others who have found the dead cats say it's NOT the work of another animal.There's been no blood nearby, no teeth tears and no puncture wounds."http://www.kctv5.com/community/17729049/detail.html?rss=kan&psp=newsA lawn care worker discovered the cat, cut in half in a customer's yard in the same area where several other cats were found dead last month.A necropsy was performed by a biologist/fur bearer with the Kansas Department of Wildlife. The determination was the cat was not killed by a PERSON, according to Sgt. Bill Cory, of the Lawrence Police Department.(Headline read: Biologist determines cat was killed by another animal). That's not at all accurate - the finding was; not killed by A PERSON. (read between the lines - we've seen this b4; this red herring: "not killed by persons." ForThePeople - stay the course - keep snooping - bug the authorities - contact LJWorld - bring my list to peoples attention - (definitely on-topic) - market a line of tinfoil hats for cats. I can't give you any more clues - right now you are not up to speed with the ones I've dropped - to date. I need to see more awareness re: the widespread nature of this phenom (not just Lawrence). My list should be raising eyebrows and dropping jaws. No more fits and spurts - it's 'big picture time'. And no more clues till we see comprehensive 'big picture' exposure and coverage. I've learn't my lesson; I can't convince self-assured 'modern man' of anything - he or she must be allowed to convince themselves. In the mean time, keep doing your homework. Find out what Midge thinks of this list of mine. Get some 'for the record' responses. I need to see normal gumshoe progress. Then - and only then - will I 'bring up the rear'. Carry on troops - our pets welfare depends on YOU. They still haven't quite mastered Google'ing and eMailing - YOU have - get to it. Shake that tree. Establish Google Alerts. Trust you me - this perp will go unpunished. Million dollar rewards not-withstanding. This is THE mystery of the Modern Age - Ultimately, the solution to this puzzle of puzzles will dictate a complete re-write of the field of study known as cognitive science. This I maintain without fear of over-stating matters. There is deep-rooted Black-Ops involved in all this. Make no mistake about it. And as a final word of warning, It's very much aligned with elements of the film "Altered States" which offers precious little by way of re-assurance (especially if you are a cat). I'm getting ahead of myself .. keep 'hitting the books'. ExoThermic out.

alm77 6 years, 2 months ago

hawk6643, you should be sure to let your friend know about this. I usually let my cat out, but not anymore. Sometimes, all it takes is a "heads-up".

ForThePeople 6 years, 2 months ago

Anonymous userExoThermic (Anonymous) says:I've spelled it out for you as much as I'm going to. Reporter Frey knows the scope of this phenom. He doesn't know what's behind it - he never bothered to ask! Somebody please do their homework. It's difficult to give small clues - it's an all-or-nothing proposition. Sift through these links - pay special attention to the Toronto ON and Vancouver B.C. articles.OK, I'll bite, since my curiosity has been piqued. I don't see where you've spelled anything out...you've posted links, and not even all up to date on similar crimes, but have not outright said what you think. Since you say Reporter Frey knows the scope of the phenom, but didn't bother to ask what's behind it, I will...do please elaborate on that comment.I'm not sure whats with all the mystery, but if you have some idea of the cause of all the cat killings, I sure would like to know....even if it is woo-woo conspiracy theories. Just lay your cards on the table for crying out loud!Oh and I did read several of the articles in your link, and the only thing I can find that you are possibly referring to is the alien aspect.

Bossa_Nova 6 years, 2 months ago

whoever this pervert is, s/he needs to be behind bars before it escalates to people being mutilated. also, it must be someone luring these animals by way of food or some kind of trap. most cats dont let many strangers get close to them.

ExoThermic 6 years, 2 months ago

kmat, I'll spare the invective ... You have done zero by way of online research - I've spelled it out for you as much as I'm going to. I don't feel defensive .. I've told you that I've informed your local law enforcement .. I'm not giving out names .. that's not really fair .. just like I wouldn't want them exposing my identity - which they know; having returned my call (long distance). Reporter Frey knows the scope of this phenom. He doesn't know what's behind it - he never bothered to ask! Somebody please do their homework. It's difficult to give small clues - it's an all-or-nothing proposition. Sift through these links - pay special attention to the Toronto ON and Vancouver B.C. articles. It amuses me to no end re: I'm the perp. Did Dahlmer post classified ads describing his descents into abject madness and depravity? Not that I'm aware of. You're grasping unnecessary straws - in suggesting I'm the perp : ) haha. Now get off your paranoid duff and do your cyber homework. Most cats can't type that great - especially ones cut-in-half. YOU have to help. http://wichita.craigslist.org/rnr/880646681.html

Hawk6643 6 years, 2 months ago

Everytime I see this story it truly makes me sad and sick. It is horrible to think that people could do something like this to a poor defenseless animal. Thank god my cat is an indoor cat, but that doesn't mean I still don't worry about my friend's animals who get let outside. Hopefully they will catch this person soon.

flux 6 years, 2 months ago

Text book case of a serial killer in the making

MyOpinionCounts 6 years, 2 months ago

Folks, please keep your kitties, puppies & children inside until this psychopath is caught & locked away.

I_Bejewel 6 years, 2 months ago

sugars_mom,I'm so sorry about the loss of your beautiful cat. It just makes me sick, and I'd like to think there's a special place in Hell for people who do things like this to defenseless animals. I have a cat too. He's never been an outdoor cat because the last cat I had before him stayed out at night (he was a hunter), but he was always there first thing in the morning. Then one day he was just gone. That was many years ago. After losing him, I could never have an outdoor cat again. I hope this gets solved soon. It really is disturbing to think that someone like this lives among us.