Archive for Monday, September 29, 2008

Residents report pet cats being mutilated; police investigating

Several Lawrence pet owners now fear for the safety of their furry friends and are warning others in the area.

September 29, 2008

Sugar the cat.

Sugar the cat.

Sugar the cat.

Sugar the cat.

Mark McCanon had grown accustomed to letting 13-year-old Sugar outside around 3 a.m. each day, when the white Manx cat would walk back and forth on the keys of the family piano. The two would generally meet again around 8 a.m.

But McCanon's world came crashing down Monday morning when he found Sugar mutilated in his backyard.

"I went to get the paper this morning and he wasn't waiting at the front door," McCanon said tearfully.

McCanon said he found Sugar's body laid out, cut open with a knife and gutted; its hind legs and tail were lying nearby.

"It's hard to believe that somebody is this vulgar to do this to an animal," McCanon said.

While McCanon said he has had complaints from a neighbor about the five beehives he maintains in his backyard, he doesn't know of anyone that has problems with cats in the neighborhood.

Lawrence police said the incident is among several reports they've been investigating of possible animal cruelty during the past week in the 3200 block of West Ninth Street.

McCanon said he knows of three neighbors who recently have found their cats mutilated and left in their yard. A cat's severed head was also found in nearby Centennial Park, said Midge Grinstead, Lawrence Humane Society executive director, who is participating in the investigation.

"I think it's somebody making a statement," Grinstead said. "It's somebody with a vendetta."

Grinstead said at least 18 animal cruelty cases have been reported in Douglas County this year, including three cats believed to have been tortured by the same person, someone shooting cats with a bow and arrow, someone beating a dog to death and throwing it in a trash can, a horse that was starved to death and a dog that was starved to death. There are typically three or four cases of this type in a year, she said.

"We've had multiple incidents this year; it's crazy," Grinstead said. "I don't know why; I don't know why."

Grinstead and McCanon said in the recent incidents involving the cats, another animal could not have been responsible because there was no blood nearby, no teeth tears and no puncture wounds. McCanon believes someone's taking the cats, mutilating them, then bringing body parts back and leaving them in the cat owner's yard.

"Somebody's out there in the middle of the night," McCanon said. "Somebody's doing it."

Anyone with information regarding animal cruelty can contact Lawrence police at 832-7509.

Comments

Christine Anderson 6 years, 2 months ago

To those of you who think this is funny, or make sick jokes, you good-for-nothing @!*%^#!!!!I heartily agree that whomever the person or persons are who are murdering these cats will eventualy murder humans if they are not stopped.I know I'm going to get crap for saying this, but honestly, I'd like to string the perps up by their balls and/or thumbs and .....Perhaps the residents of this neighborhood could take turns patrolling the area (in groups of no less than two) around the clock.

hujiko 6 years, 2 months ago

I know how this man feels, I lost my cat to the coyotes last year, at least (although horrible) he knows what happened. I was never lucky enough to find her.

Lenette Hamm 6 years, 2 months ago

The perpetrator(s) deserve similar punishment......

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 2 months ago

Yep, I believe that bed-wetting and abusing animals is a common precursor in the lives of many convicted serial killers and sociopaths. No, seriously. Whoever is doing this is probably best caught sooner than later.

ksdivakat 6 years, 2 months ago

I think that we all should heed the advise of Midge at the humane society and put out your cameras and video equipment and catch this person or persons. In this day and age of technology, most households have a video camera or some type of recording device, set it up and catch the idiot or idiots who are doing this and send them to jail for a while and have them evaluated psychologically.

JHawkalum 6 years, 2 months ago

Anyone who does something like this to a PET, will do it to a human someday. Why else would someone kill a cat at 2am unless they were completely jacked in the head?

Rabbitgoesthump 6 years, 2 months ago

MyOpinionCounts 6 years, 2 months ago

This is one sick individual that needs to be locked away from society. This kind of cruelty is beyond comprehension.

zahzah 6 years, 2 months ago

This is such a sad sad story. How someone could do this is just unimaginable. Cat owners, please do not let your kitties out. They are domesticated pets that cannot fend for themselves out there. There is too much danger out there (cars, people, other animals, disease), there is no reason for them to be roaming outside.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 2 months ago

bastet- The problem is when you have posters who allegedly knowingly sell stolen property to unwitting customers, why would they be concerned about peoples' beloved pets? And then there are the idiots!freedomOFspeech-You might check your statutes. These people are committing felonies--much like stealing horses in days past. Those people, and cattle rustlers, were hung when caught. Check my post and you will find I am anything but Liberal. Try coming after my pet!

bastet 6 years, 2 months ago

As usual, posters here make comments that are beneath contempt. How dare you make jokes; how dare you make light of such behavior. Thank goodness animals are not equal to humans; the humans who mutilate animals show us that humanity's so-called evolutionary progress is mere sham. We are judged by how we treat the weaker among us; this kind of behavior shows how far we have to go in our humanity.Disgusting and shameful.

Danimal 6 years, 2 months ago

Sounds like there's a serial killer in training in Lawrence.

Strontius 6 years, 2 months ago

If someone did this to my dog, the police had best find and conceal them from me, because I would save them the trouble of court costs and due process of law. It would be the same if someone killed my child or another loved one. I don't care about the consequences and I don't pretend my actions rational or justified. It would be hate, pure and simple. At the very least, we need much tougher laws for people who abuse or kill animals, particularly like this. And not jail time, but some serious counseling combined with a heavy fine, paid for the rest of their life, to the family of the deceased animal. Hit people in the pocket book where it hurts and take away some of their freedoms. Just some thoughts. I can't convey how sorry I am for the family of this murdered cat, whose only crime was existing. I won't shed tears if the killer finds himself in a similar predicament.

compmd 6 years, 2 months ago

This is disgusting. I hope the neighbors on the 3200 block of 9th street are working together on this. Also, I hope they are keeping track of their kids.

Rationalanimal 6 years, 2 months ago

SpeedRacer 6 years, 2 months ago

I saw a cat head lying on a rock in the creek crossing in Deerfield Park last week. This person seems to be getting around.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

"If I was survivorman I could eat the cat::" Atleast on survivorman he always kills the animal in the fastest and least painful way possible. I don't live in Lawrence but for homecoming, students TeePee the teachers houses and I saw a dead gray cat in my neighbors yard the morning after it was teepeed. It was removed before I came back home at night but I really hope that wasn't part of a senior practical joke. Torturing an animal just shows the person has no sense of remorse, very sad.

somebodynew 6 years, 2 months ago

Folks, I don't like to be an alarmist, but "danimal" is correct. There could be a serial killer in training. Lots of studies show that a lot of those people start out abusing animals. And if they are to the stage where they are dismembering and just bringing body parts back - that is creepy. And just think, he/she/it is out there in your neighborhood to find the animals.

ExoThermic 6 years, 2 months ago

You might care to investigate .. serial cat mutilation on the internet including "cat mutilations continue +toronto", "serial pet killer", "UK pet mutilations","another mutilated cat found" and "mysterious half-cats". And this article http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/sep/06/strange_pet_deaths_concern_neighborhood/?city_localall high strangeness and bearing very similar hallmarks and never any arrests despite large reward monies. Often re-occurs after year or two hiatus as happened in Seattle, Corpus Christi, San Antonio and Kelowna BC and Edmonton AB. Also rabbit ripper +google earth .. brings up mysterious rabbit mutilation epidemic in Germany. And finally 'the Great Kitty Caper +montrealmirror" finds article relating to cat 'mutes' in Montreal, Quebec, Canada dated 1998. Help solve this mystery - spread the word - type for those who's paws are not designed for standard keyboards. Setup Google Alerts to track this "sordid business." Our pets deserve better, greater awareness of the scope of this 'phenomenon.'

sjschlag 6 years, 2 months ago

I let my cat outside during the day, but he's usually really good about staying in my yard. I won't let him out after dark though, after hearing about this. I would be really sad if this happened to him as well, and really creeped out because someone would be trespassing in my yard at night...

gccs14r 6 years, 2 months ago

I found a rabbit head and intestines in the yard a couple of weeks ago. No other parts, no blood, and the intestines were intact. I'm nowhere near 3200 W 9th, though.

MyOpinionCounts 6 years, 2 months ago

If they will do this to a harmless animal they will also do it to someone you know. Put them out of their misery!

Hawk6643 6 years, 2 months ago

While you may not consider these animals to be as worthy as humans, many people consider their pets to be part of their family. You should be a little more considerate next time you decide to open your mouth.

notajayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

freedomOFspeech (Anonymous) says: "and of course the perpetrators do NOT deserve the same.I hate to tell all you liberals is Larryville that animals are NOT equal to humans:.""If I was survivorman I could eat the cat::"These animals weren't eaten, nimrod. You're right about animals and people not being equal - a human might have had half a chance of defending himself.The gutless weasel that did this deserves worse than what he did to the animals.Ditto those who find it amusing.****Rationalanimal (Anonymous) says: "Aside from the boogey man lurking in the shadows at 3:00 a.m. to mutilate cats, it is entirely plausible a raccoon, dog, possum, or other varmit is taking advantage of some slow witted domesticated table fare. It's probably an animal who lives in the Baker wetlands by day."You may be rational, animal, but your reading comprehension could stand a little improvement:>>>> another animal could not have been responsible because there was no blood nearby, no teeth tears and no puncture wounds.

germx 6 years, 2 months ago

People should not let their cats outside their homes. They kill rabbits, squirrels and wonderful birds. It's a shame this "person" or political action group is killing free roaming / feral cats who could possibly be carrying a whole host of disseases.

seriouscat 6 years, 2 months ago

My heart goes out to Mark McCanon and all the other pet owners. What a shocking and frightening thing to have happen to you and your families!

jafs 6 years, 2 months ago

Of course, this is terrible and the person(s) responsible should be stopped.However, there is in fact a leash law in Lawrence - you shouldn't be letting your cats out into the neighborhood at all.I've lived in a number of places where cats freely roamed the streets, came into our yard and went to the bathroom, and drove our little dog crazy (she's an inside dog).It is illegal, and extremely inconsiderate to let your pets roam the neighborhood.

Melinda Black 6 years, 2 months ago

It is chilling to think that there is someone lurking around our backyards in the middle of the night performing these depraved acts. A person who can so readily reject society's rules of basic decency is not someone I want anywhere near my family. I hope the police realize how sick this behavior is and are working hard to catch the perpetrator. Apparently, this same deviant behavior was a problem in Salt Lake City and Denver a few years ago. Makes me wonder if they are connected.http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/2300744/detail.html

Becca 6 years, 2 months ago

To those of you that mentioned serial killer, etc, animal abuse is one of the three early signs of antisocial personality disorder. The other two are arson and bed wetting. This is called the MacDonald Triad. However, ASPD cannot be diagnosed in anybody under the age of 18. In my opinion this is probably a child around 12-15 doing this.Personally, I blame the parents. People who develop ASPD do so because of extreme parental neglect and abuse.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

You're absolutely correct Becca, I guess I do need to read. We can't all be voracious readers like yourself. Some of us only have time to skim through the words while the baby naps and the finger paints dry. Claps Great job though. Now if only all your boosting about your education and knowledge would actually find this sicko out there. I might actually give you a high five for that!

lnga0209 6 years, 2 months ago

Freedom of speech are you kidding me... You seriously think that's funny what you are saying about a living thing... Maybe you aren't attached to something as much as the rest of the world or maybe you have problems getting close to something, but don't say things about peole who don't have issues like yourself... You are sick and cruel and maybe you are the one we need to look at in cases like these... Hungry are you?

George_Braziller 6 years, 2 months ago

skinny 6 years, 2 months ago

Maybe it is the Mountain Lion from KU or one of the local bob cats in the area!

gr 6 years, 2 months ago

"They'd be better served by being eliminated from the gene pool."Wow 11, don't you think that's a little harsh? And just from being accused of "possible animal cruelty". Quick to pass judgement.Unless you think killing an animal is the same as being cruel. In which case, I hope you are a vegetarian and don't swat mosquitoes.

tanaumaga 6 years, 2 months ago

parkay, were talking about pets here...please...i don't want to hear your opinion on anything else...p.s. get stuffed.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

But Bob.... my greatest moments come when my foot is inserted directly in my mouth!

rachaelisacancer 6 years, 2 months ago

This is sick. My kitty will be staying inside until this/these creeps are found and punished. My heart goes out to the McCanons and all the others. How absolutely horrible! Find whoever is doing this and prosecute to the full extent of the law!

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 6 years, 2 months ago

If I caught someone mutilating my pets they would not live until the cops arrived. Such conduct would make me fear so much for my life that I would feel called to defend myself, since the fact that they're cutting these animals up demonstrates that they're armed and dangerous.

Becca 6 years, 2 months ago

I suggest all of you who are calling this person sick, depraved, saying he/she should be put down or worse, educate yourselves on antisocial personality disorder. This individual would be much better served by intense psychological intervention.

Christine Anderson 6 years, 2 months ago

To Sugar's family. There are a lot of people whose pets are not "just" pets, they're children with fur. They even act out when they don't get their way, just like human kids.My family brought home a tiny calico kitten when I was four. No one thought she would survive. Survive she did, and led a very full life. One day after I had gone off to college down here, she wandered off and never came back. Considering the very small town and area where we lived, I think she went off to pass away privately, or that even a hawk could have carried her off. Her favorite drive-the-humans-crazy game was to take crayons, life up the oval braided rug with one paw, shove the crayon underneath the rug with the other paw, and then "pounce" on it, grinding it into the wood floor.Anyway, I share all that just to say many of us get it, how special our pets are, and how the loss of them is the loss of a family member.I hope tonight is the night when this sick, evil person or persons is caught!

kristyj 6 years, 2 months ago

Seems as if the perpatrator knows exactly where each cat lives. That's seriously creepy.

tanaumaga 6 years, 2 months ago

LAKERMOM11 6 years, 2 months ago

THANK YOU NONE2. POINT VERY WELL MADE.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

Strong.... which person were you directing your comment to? If it was me since I was right before you, I wasn't joking. I'm seriously curious what everyone thinks about this person. I think it'd have to be an adult....well someone old enough to live alone and I'm personally not sure someone could fully rehabilitate from this type of behavior. They cleary show no sense of remorse or value to lives of innocent animals. Just like Child Molestation Laws I think Animal Cruelty Laws need tougher punishments.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

TheEleventhStephanie, I think you're right. As long as you do it while your drunk and leave the scene of the murder you'll only get 14 days in jail. Well in Lawrence anyways. Isn't that what Deckart is getting?

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 2 months ago

Wrong Becca. They'd be better served by being eliminated from the gene pool. They try this at my house and I think they'll find out real quick they're messing with the wrong people.

GSWtotheheart 6 years, 2 months ago

Becca: Being a PSYC major does not entitle you to make blanket judgments about whoever is mutilating those cats. You don't know. You are guessing/speculating/assuming.Also just because you are a PSYC major doesn't mean you know more than anybody about anything.And even if you do, it's not polite to say so. Not all people who mutilate animals have a personality disorder. Not all people who are abused develop a personality disorder. Not all people who abuse animals are clearly crying for help.You might want to look up "over-generalization" in your freshman PSYC textbook. See if your picture is there.You might also look up "freshman PSYC rears it's ugly head" and see if your picture is there too.You don't know squat, and you'll never learn anything with your know-it-all attitude.

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 2 months ago

Serious question, because I don't know anything about cats: I keep hearing sounds liek crying babies at night and none of our neighbors have babies. Cat in heat? Cat getting hurt? Not a cat at all?

Becca 6 years, 2 months ago

OMG. "Sounds like it could be ritualistic killing of these pets. I'm saying, there ARE persons in the world who openly worship the devil. It is possible that this is the motive for such an evil, horrific act."I have never once heard of any satanic ritual killing. Theistic satanists, which is the type you're alleging here, don't have ritual killing.

ForThePeople 6 years, 2 months ago

0 September 2008 at 9:14 p.m.Suggest removalPermalinkAnonymous userdeep_fried_kitty (Anonymous) says:can you geniuses explain how you can have no idea who this is? I mean if this happening all in one neighborhood on one block or whatever, how hard could it be?at least less of you will be breaking the law in letting your pets roam:::.One can only hope LE is watching these threads, I believe there was a case in Lawrence, where some evidence was obtained by something a poster had said. Hummmmm...perhaps the above poster has something they'd like to come clean about?

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

You think it's an adult? I mean, it's possible for a teenager to be out and about at 3am on a week night but I would think more likely it's someone who doesn't live with parents. If this is a stepping stone for future crimes is this something someone could be rehabilitated from? Just curious what everyone thinks.

vanessa6543 6 years, 2 months ago

If you saw the bodies of just one of these cats you would know that it was definitely not an animal. My parents cat was found clearly cut in half about a week ago from when Sugar was found. They reside one house away from the McCanon's. As Mark says it was definitely a blade of some sort that killed these cats.

sugarsowner 6 years, 2 months ago

thank you for all of you with your support.. this has been a hard time for me and my family. but we will all work through it.

LeslieJeanne 6 years, 2 months ago

All living things have the right to exist for their own benefit regardless of whether they ever do anything to aid humans. Animals are sentient beings and are not pets, they are companions who share our world and our lives for one reason or another. God did not put animals on the earth for us to slaughter. Yes, I believe that animals and humans are equal in being and rights and in the eyes of God.

birdsandflowers 6 years, 2 months ago

I am an alarmist when it comes to this kind of behavior! My very first thought upon reading this article was of a very troubled individual within our community. A quick internet search found this article that backs up my fears.Animal Abuse & Human Abuse: Partners In CrimeA reprint of a People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) articleBy: Frank L. Hoffman flh@all-creatures.org ©1998 - The Mary T. and Frank L. Hoffman Family FoundationViolent acts toward animals have long been recognized as indicators of a violent psychopathology that does not confine itself to animals. "Anyone who has accustomed himself to regard the life of any living creature as worthless is in danger of arriving also at the idea of worthless human lives," wrote humanitarian Albert Schweitzer. "Murderers...very often start out by killing and torturing animals as kids," according to Robert K. Resler, who developed profiles of serial killers for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Studies have now convinced sociologists, lawmakers, and the courts that acts of cruelty toward animals deserve our attention. They can be the first sign of a violent pathology that includes humans. A Long Road of ViolenceAnimal abuse is not just the result of a minor personality flaw in the abuser, but a symptom of a deep disturbance. Research in psychology and criminology shows that people who commit acts of cruelty against animals don't stop there; many of them move on to their fellow humans. The FBI has found that a history of cruelty to animals is one of the traits that regularly appears in its computer records of serial rapists and murderers, and the standard diagnostic and treatment manual for psychiatric and emotional disorders lists cruelty to animals as a diagnostic criterion for conduct disorders.(1)Studies have shown that violent and aggressive criminals are more likely to have abused animals as children than criminals considered non-aggressive. (2)A survey of psychiatric patients who had repeatedly tortured dogs and cats found all of them had high levels of aggression toward people as well, including one patient who had murdered a boy. (3)To researchers, a fascination with cruelty to animals is a red flag in the lives of serial rapists and killers.Sadly, many of these criminals' childhood violence went unexamined-until it was directed toward humans. As anthropologist Margaret Mead noted, "One of the most dangerous things that can happen to a child is to kill or torture an animal and get away with it."

LAKERMOM11 6 years, 2 months ago

I BELIEVE THAT IT IS TIME FOR SOME PEOPLE TO GET OFF OF THEIR COMPUTERS. THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT WHAT IS GONG ON IN THE WORLD AND TO OUT FELLOW NEIGHBORS. NOT JUST ABOUT BABBLING BS ABOUT WHAT THEY KNOW AND WHAT THEY DO. IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE RUDE AND NASTY COMMENTS LEAVE NOW. WE ARE TIRED OF LISTENING TO YOUR CRAP, TO BE NICE. THIS FAMILY CHECKS AND READS EVERYTHING WRITTEN ABOUT THEIR FANTASTIC FAMILY MEMBER THAT THEY HAVE LOST DUE TO AN ANIMAL WITH NO SELF CONTROL. I FOR ONE WOULD NOT WANT TO HEAR SOME OF THE THINGS THAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING TO ONE ANOTHER. SOME OF YOU GUYS APPARENTLY HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IT IS LIKE TO LOSE SOMEONE SO CLOSE TO YOU.

BBFantastic 6 years, 2 months ago

To Sugar's Family - You sound like amazing people that had a pretty everyday routine with your animals, or, your family members, as I like to call them.Forget all the psychological b.s. that is being put on here. Plain and simple...the person/s that did this should, and hopefully will pay.It's sad that in today's America, we have to watch over our children like Hawks, but now our pets?Guess if you love someone/pet, be mindful of where they are, and keep a close eye. (not stalker-like to those humans, btw..)Just watch over those in your lives.Bless...

jafs 6 years, 2 months ago

Leslie,Absolutely.And even more reason to take care of the ones who become our companions.

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 2 months ago

All I know is if someone comes in my yard to mess with my dogs, they won't be getting an opportunity to tell me thier sad story of abuse.

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 2 months ago

Then I don't believe in antisocial personality disorder.

saoirseglen 6 years, 2 months ago

If the sick individual perpetrating these despicable acts is reading these message, please note that you may one night select the wrong animal from the wrong house and could quite possibly end up being put down by the owner who will act against you with extreme prejudice.If you, the sick individual, think that what you are doing is cool or exciting, you are very much mistaken. And be aware that you are putting yourself on a path that will only end in your termination of existence.As for my part, when it comes to self-defense and defending the lives of loved ones I go with the utilization of whatever force is necessary to end the threat. If it ends up in the death of the perpetrator, it is very regrettable, but the intent was to stop the ability to present a continued clear and present danger.I will be honest and say that the perpetrator of these crimes would be better served to be put down rather than arrested and put through the court system. However, I do not advocate that as a course of action as that would go against what the right thing to do is.

jakeoliver84 6 years, 2 months ago

Let us not jump to conclusions in defense of the perpetrator.Whether they were abused or not is an issue they can discuss with their PRISON counselor.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

Coyotes sound kinda like a woman crying or wailing.......kinda....that might be it.

tanaumaga 6 years, 2 months ago

look at all the capital letters...he means it....he's crazy...he's creepy.

Lisia 6 years, 2 months ago

I am very sorry for the losses of all the pet owners who've had to deal with this. I live around that area and am very scared.Sometimes in the evening (after dark) I've walked near there to get to Dillons' at 6th and Lawrence, and now I really wonder how safe that is.

jakeoliver84 6 years, 2 months ago

Becca- Please know that if I sounded in the least bit sarcastic in my previous posts, it is due to my personality and not because I'm attacking your opinion.You're opinion has clearly struck a chord with many people and EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion.Good luck to your future psychology career, and thanks for the mid afternoon debate :)

basil 6 years, 2 months ago

Mr McCanon, thank you for posting pictures of Sugar, and I'm no sorry for your loss. This is devastating. And I agree with the other posters who say that this is the sign of serious mental illness--as Danimal says, it does sound like a serial killer in training. Especially if this is happening repeatedly.

Becca 6 years, 2 months ago

GSWtotheheart (Anonymous) says:"Becca: Being a PSYC major does not entitle you to make blanket judgments about whoever is mutilating those cats. You don't know. You are guessing/speculating/assuming."No, I don't know for sure. Like I said, it's an educated guess. I'm very familiar with ASPD."Also just because you are a PSYC major doesn't mean you know more than anybody about anything."No, it's not because I'm a psych major that I know more than the average person, like I said. It's because I had my intelligence tested. I scored in the above average range on just about everything. At 11 years old, my intelligence was on par with somebody in grad school."And even if you do, it's not polite to say so."It's also not polite to say somebody doesn't know squat either, now is it?"Not all people who mutilate animals have a personality disorder.Not all people who are abused develop a personality disorder.Not all people who abuse animals are clearly crying for help.You might want to look up "over-generalization" in your freshman PSYC textbook."No, not all people do. If it's an isolated incident, it would be a gross over-generalization. But apparently this has been happening quite a bit all over town, according the Human Society lady."See if your picture is there.You might also look up "freshman PSYC rears it's ugly head" and see if your picture is there too."I'm not a Freshman. "You don't know squat, and you'll never learn anything with your know-it-all attitude."I'm sorry, I can't help it. I guess its my parents' fault for giving me big head from gushing about how intelligent I am since I was a kid.

lilyanne 6 years, 2 months ago

To TheEleventhStephanie: Could be cat in heat or cat being hurt. If you live in the area of 3200 W 9th then I would call the local authorities and ask what you should do or if there is anything that could be done, otherwise if you don't live in the area maybe check it out when you do hear it and don't forget to take a camera or videocamera just in case. Can we try to turn this post into helping out the families with pets missing? I live southeat of 6th & Monterey Way and our neighborhood has had 3 missing cats in the last two months (2 in the last month) which is not far from 3200 W. 9th. If anyone has seen a black cat dead or alive, and if alive when called by Marcus he meows at you, please take him to the Humane Society or send me msg if you found a black cats body. Elder neighbor is extremely worried about him.

kmat 6 years, 2 months ago

JAFS - why don't you bother to look up the law before acting like you know it all. There is not a leash law for cats in Lawrence. Cats are not allowed to roam free through town, but they can be anywhere on your property without being on a leash. There is a leash law for dogs. The reason cats are allowed to roam free on their property is because cats don't run out and attack people. It appears that whoever did this to these cats was plucking them from their own yards and returning them after they mutilated them. I hate it when people start talking BS when they are too lazy to look it up, but have the time to type on here.Whoever is doing this has a special place in hell reserved for them. I would happily do the same to them and smile while I sat in jail for it because at least I would know justice was finally served.

mmmskyscraper 6 years, 2 months ago

zahzah (Anonymous) says: "This is such a sad sad story. How someone could do this is just unimaginable.Cat owners, please do not let your kitties out. They are domesticated pets that cannot fend for themselves out there. There is too much danger out there (cars, people, other animals, disease), there is no reason for them to be roaming outside."Agreed. My heart goes out to Mark McCanon as well as to anyone else who has lost a pet due to such horrific cruelty. It angers me that someone would harm a cat (or dog or horse or rabbit) in this way.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

As far as everyone can tell, has this person or these people only targeted cats? Or has this happened to dogs also?

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 2 months ago

"This individual would be much better served by intense psychological intervention."I agree. Think about how much better things would be if the authorities would have hugged and coddled Jeffrey Dahmer rather than throwing him in jail like an animal. It's not his fault he killed and ate people. Society is to blame! Maybe a teacher yelled at him once. Maybe his parents' divorce caused this. Clearly it was not his fault in the least.

MyOpinionCounts 6 years, 2 months ago

My condolences to Sugar's family. Losing someone you love is never easy & under these circumstances makes it unbearable. Our family is owned by 3 four-legged kids & we wouldn't trade them for anything. I pray that the sicko who did this is caught soon & gets locked away for a very long time.lawrenceguy40...we don't have to get over anything - go post where someone cares.

Beth Bird 6 years, 2 months ago

This is sad. I feel really bad for these pet owners. Pets are a part of the family. I hope they catch this person soon!

jakeoliver84 6 years, 2 months ago

Yes, yes. We all know what antisocial personality disorder is and understand that it is a documented medical condition.It would also appear that no one here believes it is a viable defense for what has been done.Unless you have something more to add on the state of mental disorders (which may be more fit for a different thread altogether).... let's move on.

Calliope877 6 years, 2 months ago

My parents recently discovered their cat skinned and gutted in their yard, but they don't live in Douglas county. It's very disturbing...he was a sweet kitty.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

Maybe those of you who have lost cats or pets and live near that area could contact the police and let them know. They could possibly make some sort of timeline or atleast estimate/confirm the amount of pets harmed. I'm not sure if that's what you do in this type of situation but from these comments it seems like there are an awful lot of people who may have been effected by this sicko.

akt2 6 years, 2 months ago

Now that this has been made public there will be many eyes watching. Many of us are night owls. This maniac will get caught. He might get shot in the process. Might not be a bad resolution.

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 2 months ago

Exactly. Why are they even looking for this guy? In Lawrence, you get off scot-free.

Becca 6 years, 2 months ago

K, Bob. What have I said that was factually incorrect?

Becca 6 years, 2 months ago

I didn't tell her she didn't know squat. I told her the fact she doesn't believe it exists doesn't mean squat. Learn to read.

ksdivakat 6 years, 2 months ago

To sugars family....I am so sorry for your loss, I seen the story on the news monday and I broke down and cried when I seen Mark cry. I had a all white kitty too that I had for 10 yrs, he got sick and we had to put him down and it was the hardest thing that Ive ever went through with a pet, I cant even begin to imagine how I would feel if my cat was murdered so horrifically.God bless you all and I hope that the police catch the criminal soon, please everyone remember, this is the age of technology, put out your video cameras on your yard, even if you dont have a cat but live in the area, turn on your security cameras and lets catch this deviant.

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 2 months ago

No more harsh than the people up above who say they like to see the same done to the guy as was done to the cat. "Possible animal cruelty" my a$$. Cats were CUT IN HALF.

Becca 6 years, 2 months ago

Consumer1 - I'm actually 25, but you are right, I really don't have much life experience. I've never been married, don't have children, haven't traveled the world, haven't started my career, none of that stuff. So, no I don't take it offensively. I suppose you could even go so far as to say I was an idealist. I do find it upsetting that this kind of thing happens, and I guess my willingness to attribute it to a psychological disorder is my attempt at believing that humanity is still good, just misdirected.

LAKERMOM11 6 years, 2 months ago

IT IS CRUEL BECAUSE NO ONE OR THING SHOULD HAVE TO GO THROUGH THAT. WHEN A HUMAN DIES OF NATURAL CAUSES WE DO NOT CUT THEM IN HALF AND TAKE THEIR SKIN OFF THTIR BODIES. EVEN IF THEY WERE KILLED IN AN AUTO ACCIDENT IT DOES NOT HAPPEN THAT WAY. IF YOU ARE THAT COLD HEARTED YOU NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR TO FIGURE OUT WHY. THERE ARE ALOT OUT THERE. CHECK THE PHONE BOOK. AND HOW DO YOU KNOW THE CAT DID NOT SUFFER. UNLESS YOU DID IT.

BrianR 6 years, 2 months ago

I do agree with the poster above, I hope the authorities catch the perpetrator rather than a citizen cat owner. Although our cats stay indoors, I can't say for a fact that I wouldn't go all medieval on someone if I caught them killing one of my animals.

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 2 months ago

Heard coyotes last night too, so I guess it was cats. Nope don't live anywhere near the 9th Street area.

strongopinionjhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

If you are making jokes and think this is funny...I've got two words for you....GROW UP. It's people like you that are ignorant and have the brain smaller than one of these animals that make this world the way it is. This is a serious matter, I have 2 cats and 1 dog and if any one of them had this happened I would be devastated and hurt. Pets are part of your family..it would be almost as bad as losing a family member. They need to catch these deliquents and lock them up with the worst kind of criminals, maybe they will show them what it's like.

Becca 6 years, 2 months ago

Eleventh Stephanie - So, what are you saying it's their fault they were abused? They brought it on themselves? I'm not condoning what's going on in the least, but it is clearly a cry for help.

BBFantastic 6 years, 2 months ago

Oh my...This is worse than awful. Makes me sick. Why?? I'll be sure to keep my animals in.

sugarsmom 6 years, 2 months ago

I knew Sugar his whole life. He came into our home when he was about 3 weeks old, smaller than my hand. He played and slept with a pound kitty bigger than he was. He held my hand when we slept together up until 3am the morning he was killed. I have read the posts about keeping my animals in... he stayed in 80 percent of the time. He was not a young cat, not prone to prowling. He visited the aging next door neighbor for daily pets, he checked the neighbors in our quiet (not so anymore) cul-de-sac. The humans or human that chose to end his life so horrifically 2 days ago took away a piece of my life. He played the piano when he wanted to go out , much to both my daughters distress at times. Some mornings it was on the high note keys almost melodic, other mornings the low note in a dirge. The morning he died, it was a dirge. He really wanted out in the cool morning air to lounge on the patio furniture, to check his domain, little did we know the " bad guys" were lurking. We have made this very public to let our community know there is someone out there with so little regard to life that the sensless killing of a family pet means nothing to them.. We are talking 3 cats in 2 weeks that we know of...all within a rocks throw from one another. This is what we know of... How many others are written of as lost or stolen in this neighborhood alone. I know there are the people that say it was "just a cat"...worry more about humans...maybe to some, but to me all life is precious. I nursed Sugar through wounds, colds....made sure he had his yearly vet check..he was an active member of this famly.. he brought joy, distress, grief and laughter...all with a certain flair only his personality could garner. Thank you all for you comments and empathy, it is much appreciated. MY only goal in all of this is to make everyone aware that someone is out there. Be watchful, take care of your neighbor, if we don't no one will.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 2 months ago

ExoThermic, it appears you only joined the LJW group to put unprintable things into the threads relating to the animal abuse.What's up with you anyway?

cmheck 6 years, 2 months ago

This story is absolutely heart wrenching, it makes me sick to think somebody could be so cruel and have so much hate. My animals are just as important to me as my family. I am so sorry for anyone who has lost a pet due to animal cruelty. Whoever is responsible for this crime deserves to spend along time behind bars, God knows we don't want this sicko on the street.

Becca 6 years, 2 months ago

Kmat, was that supposed to upset me? Fortunately, I do know more than the average person. And couple that with the fact that I am voracious reader, your comment was just redundant to me.

jplanet 6 years, 2 months ago

Mark, I'm so sorry for your loss of Sugar.

jafs 6 years, 2 months ago

none,You are of course entitled to your opinion.Read the first sentence of my post again.I stand by my entire post - pet owners who let their pets roam freely are inconsiderate neighbors and are breaking the law.Wild animals are irrelevant - people aren't responsible for their actions.We have a friend who let her dog run freely in Baldwin - it ran away and was shot by someone and died. This was of course a tragedy, but could easily have been prevented.If you don't want to take care of your pet, don't have a pet.And, consider the effects on your neighbors and neighborhood of letting your pets run around outside.

boltzmann 6 years, 2 months ago

The shrieks people are hearing are probably foxes. They appear to be reasonably common in Lawrence. They have an eerie cat-like or baby-like shriek. Check out the sounds of the fox herehttp://www.angelfire.com/ar2/thefoxden/sounds.html

simplyann 6 years, 2 months ago

my sister in law and i both live at the 6th and monteray area, she south west and i north east, we've both thought our cats were eaten by coyotes but this story makes me wonder...

jakeoliver84 6 years, 2 months ago

You have a good point Becca, but I believe you're wrong. This person should spend considerable time in jail. If and when he/she/it is in jail they decide they want "psychological intervention" then by all means... Lord knows what I would do if I found my cat of 16 years carved up like a pumpkin in my back yard. There would be hell to pay and I would not settle for "psychological intervention" as a form of punishment or rehabilitation. Prayers to the families who have fallen victim to this demonic behavior.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 2 months ago

Just something to consider. Now that this has been made public, the person or persons responsible might be feeling some sort of accomplishment over their actions. Do not rule out the fact he, she, or they might be attention seekers. This article might just feed the desire to do more.Please, don't misunderstand my meaning. I am not condemning this article. This is definately a subject that needs to be reported on. Just be aware of the fact that these attacks just might increase due to the publicity. Keep track of your pets at all times.

tanaumaga 6 years, 2 months ago

"No, it's not because I'm a psych major that I know more than the average person, like I said. It's because I had my intelligence tested. I scored in the above average range on just about everything. At 11 years old, my intelligence was on par with somebody in grad school."get over yourself

gr 6 years, 2 months ago

monkeyspunk 6 years, 2 months ago

jakeoliver84 6 years, 2 months ago

Let us not jump to conclusions in defense of the perpetrator.Whether they we're abused or not is an issue they can discuss with their PRISON counselor.

ExoThermic 6 years, 2 months ago

gr 6 years, 2 months ago

"Perhaps the animal died instantly with no suffering. We can only hope so. If so, the cruelty comes into play because of what the family has to go through."So guardian, you admit the issue isn't a cruelty to the cat but to the family? Perhaps so. But that wasn't what I was addressing. It's those who think cutting up a dead cat is "cruel". According to you, if someone smeared their head with a neighbor cat's feces, you would call that "cruel". Cruel to the owners of the cat who have to 'see their beloved cat's waste product exhibited in an improper manner'. Whereas, I would just call it crude, disgusting, revolting, or sicko but not anything relating to "cruel".By you and others watering down "cruelty", you diminish the impact when someone really is cruel. You make it so when someone hears someone is accused of animal cruelty, they wonder if it was because he just called a cat a bad name.

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 2 months ago

Just because someone is abused doesn't mean they have to turn into an animal killer. They still know right from wrong. It's no excuse.

Becca 6 years, 2 months ago

Thanks Bob, I'm glad you clarified that. I do have a tendency to take things too personally. And yeah, I realize a little belatedly that maybe my opinion was something I should have kept to myself. Thank you for the best wishes. As for Sugar's family, it is incredibly ludicrous to say that they are somehow to blame for it. That's like saying a woman's at fault for getting raped because she wore a skirt.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 2 months ago

"gr (Anonymous) says: Could someone explain to me how if (that's IF, mind you - look it up if you don't understand it) someone kills a cat in the quickest and a most humane way, then cuts it in half, how is that "cruel"?"gr-If it has to be explained to you then the effort would be a waste of time. That's OK, I ihave a few minutes to spare and I like the challenge of taking on futile projects.Perhaps the animal died instantly with no suffering. We can only hope so. If so, the cruelty comes into play because of what the family has to go through. Accidents happen and those have to be accepted. This was no accident. It was done maliciously just for kicks. What is there not to understand here?

Kat Christian 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how attached we can be to our pets and I would be devastated if someone had done this to my cat or dog. I'm so sorry. I know your cat is irreplacable but there are so many other cats out there who need a good home and love and I hope you reach out to one of them. Please LPD catch this creep and get him off our streets.

LAKERMOM11 6 years, 2 months ago

I HAVE KNOWN THIS FAMILY AND THE LOST FAMILY MEMBER FOR YEARS AND I THINK THAT WHAT HAS HAPPEND IS HORRIBLE. I ALSO BELIEVE THAT TO YOU PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT THINK THE PET OWNERS WERE INTHE WRONG GIVE ME A BREAK THE CAT WAS TAKEN FROM HIS OWN YARD AND MURDERED. IT WAS NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY FOR HIM TO BE OUTSIDE. HE NEVER HURT A FLY. I THINK YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT THESE LOVING AND CARING PEOPLE HAVE LOST A MEMBER OF THEIR FAMILY AND WON'T BE HEARING THE PIANO TO FILL THEIR HOME WITH MUSIC AND LAUGHTER ANYMORE. THIS SICK THING THAT DID THIS NEEDS TO BE CAUGHT. INSTEAD OF USING THIS FOR A DEBATE AS TO WHO IS RIGHT AND/OR WRONG. YOU SHOULD BE FOCUSING ON HOW TO PULL TOGETHER AS A COMMUNITY AND CATCH THIS SICK THING. NO QUESTIONS AS TO WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE HUMAN OR NOT. THERE IS NOT A SANE HUMAN THAT COULD DO THAT TO A BELOVED FAMILY MEMBER.

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 2 months ago

It's people like you, willing to give anyone a medical excuse for anything they do, that....You know what? I'm done with this discussion. I stand by what I've said.To Mr. McCanon, I am very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine how you must feel.

kmat 6 years, 2 months ago

Becca,I know many psych majors that think they know it all. Go back to your book learnin' about them disorders.I was a special ed teacher and can tell you that there are some kids and adults out there that are just bat sh*t crazy. I don't care what "disorder" you think this sick excuse for a human has, he/she deserves to feel the same pain they are inflicting on these animals.Go back to studying those disorders now.

George_Braziller 6 years, 2 months ago

Misplacedcheesehead. Very nice post. They are indeed our family members and are mourned as such when they are gone.

Polly_Gomer 6 years, 2 months ago

Parkay, Do you have a g-ddamn learning disabilty? There are abortion threads elsewhere on this site. F.O.

Becca 6 years, 2 months ago

Stephanie, no, they don't know right from wrong if they have antisocial personality disorder. It's one of the symptoms.And Jake, don't tell me not to jump to conclusions. This is an educated guess, maybe because I'm a psychology major.

Becca 6 years, 2 months ago

Well, Stephanie, whether you believe in it or not, means squat. It is an actual documented medical condition.

jhawks1234 6 years, 2 months ago

So Michael Vick escaped and switched to cats now hmmm...

Becca 6 years, 2 months ago

Jonas, maybe you're right. And yeah, I've never understood why people get angry when somebody says they're intelligent and says they "need to get over themselves."

ExoThermic 6 years, 2 months ago

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

Let's just worry about catching this sicko before we diagnosis him. Who knows, maybe it was for religious reasons and then where would your antisocial personality disorder come into play? Oh wait, let's ask Becca because she's above average intellegence and a voracious reader. If so, you'd know better then commenting on an article and telling people they don't know squat in order to rub your own ego.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

Becca (Becca) says: "Tanaumaga - What's to get over? It's completely true. I'm sorry that you feel threatened by my oversized brain."Of course, Oversized would imply abnormality or deformity. Maybe you should try using "highly efficient" from now on so we don't get confused and think that you have Encephalitis. I've always felt that intelligence can be self-appreciated, but in practicality it's something in a discussion that should be conferred by someone else, not professed by yourself. Just a thought.

Danielle Brunin 6 years, 2 months ago

I am so sorry for your loss of Sugar. Losing a pet is difficult, but in this manner is almost unbearable. My thoughts are with you. My mom who lives about an hour west of here had this happen to a kitten. It was cleanly gutted and one paw had been neatly snipped off. She found it sitting at the front door. She was, understandably, upset. She has said all along that she didn't believe a coyote or raptor could kill this cleanly, without any bites, blood, or predation signs, and why wouldn't they eat it? However, she didn't have any other explanation. After this, we are really wondering what is going on. My parents have farm cats and live in the country so inevitably, these cats are preyed on by other animals, but either they disappear or there are signs of predation, such as blood, fur, etc. The more I think about this, the more disturbing it is.

ExoThermic 6 years, 2 months ago

Christine Anderson 6 years, 2 months ago

I don't give a s@!* if the perp has a disorder! I also don't care if I get laughed at for what I'm about to say.Sounds like it could be ritualistic killing of these pets. I'm saying, there ARE persons in the world who openly worship the devil. It is possible that this is the motive for such an evil, horrific act.

Mark McCanon 6 years, 2 months ago

Thanks folks...who've posted condolances and similar losses...whoever did this to our pet deserves punishment to at least the full extent of the law, and they'd better hope the police find em before I do. Please folks, protect what is yours, animal or human. We're all in this together....but indeed, there are a few who need to be thrown off the boat.

Tony Holladay 6 years, 2 months ago

Surgars Owner ,,,, Sorry about your loss. Our puppy came up missing Friday evening. We are pretty sure he she was stolen. I couldn't imagine finding her the way Mark found Sugar. If there's anything I can do, let me know. Mark has my cell # ...... Tony

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago

Hey... "cat murderer"...There's something missing in you, and all the cats in Lawrence won'tfill that void.Indeed, each new cat only increases the void...on the order of, perhaps... nine.

sugarsowner 6 years, 2 months ago

thank you "for the people" and as a matter a fact the enforcement will or has been notified. this is digusting.. who ever you might be "deepfriedkitty". that was my cat.. and he was a very good and old cat.. he was torchered.. he couldnt even go in peace. and "misplacedcheesehead" thank you.. i agree very much with your post. pets are very much like children.. and Surgar would even act out when he didnt get his way, by either taking earings and hiding them in your shoes or meowing when you would open the fridge and not give him milk. Sugar was a very good cat.. i saw him the night before this happened, and it made me sick when i got the news.

sugarsowner 6 years, 2 months ago

Mark McCanon is my father.. he brought home Sugar when i was 3 (i am now 17) after my sister moved away for a companion for me. I recently moved away from lawrence, and had to leave him there.. but Sugar was and in my heart still is a part of my family. He was old, arthritis in both his hind legs. When he was younger he would indeed roam the neiborhood, but he would only go though our yard and our neibors. Thank you for all of the possitive comments.. but all of you that make jokes about this.. that is wrong. If you really dont care then dont share your rude comments.Sugar was a good cat, yes he had killed his share of birds and small game, but it wasnt someones pet, it was an amimal that is very plentiful in todays world. He was truely my best friend. I think it is sick and wrong. And yes this may be a seiral killer in training.. and what makes me even more sick.. is that they are still out there. I hope that the law enforcement catches them.. defently bofore i find out who has done this... because i dont think i would be as reasonable as a court.. Sugar was almost like a brother. Sugar was an all white manx with one green and one blue eye. And if anyone happens to find the other half of my cat.. i would also like someone to contact the McCanon family, I would like it to be with his other half. And if anyone has anyinformation contact the police and/or the McCanons.Flyers have been posted around our block and will continue to be posted around town.. so please help if you can.

sugarsowner 6 years, 2 months ago

the only problem we had with sugar was that we couldnt just keep him inside.. he loved the outdoors.. and hated the litter box.. he would take jewlery and hid it or tear up carpet by the doors if there was someone there to let him out and we didnt.

notajayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Becca (Becca) says: "However, ASPD cannot be diagnosed in anybody under the age of 18. In my opinion this is probably a child around 12-15 doing this."The only reason it can't be Dx'd before age 18 is one of the requirements is having a conduct disorder before turning 18. It doesn't mean they can't have all the traits and symptoms of the disorder before they're an adult."This individual would be much better served by intense psychological intervention."I seriously hope you're a psychology major planning on research, not practice. There is no 'cure' for ASPD."Fortunately, I do know more than the average person."But nowhere near enough. The poster was correct - what you read about in books, child, is a far cry from working in the field, especially when it comes to Axis II disorders."At 11 years old, my intelligence was on par with somebody in grad school."And yet you haven't learned the most important thing - that you don't know it all. Sorry if I'm being overly critical, but this is a subject I know a little about. Keep up with your studies - but remember you'll get there a lot faster if you stop thinking you've already arrived.

ForThePeople 6 years, 2 months ago

deepfried/void/grady...You are either as sick as, or are the perp. I sure hope LE looks into your identity considering the content of your posts.

smootholive 6 years, 2 months ago

--== To Sugar's Owners ==--It breaks my heart to hear what happened to your baby. You are handling the situation much more gracefully than I ever could.During my first year of college, I came home one weekend to learn that the cat I grew up with didn't come home. We had him since he was 5 weeks old. He was our baby. I used to cry so much wondering what his final moments were like, worrying how scared he must have been in his final moments. Was he hurt? Did he suffer? I was angry that I couldn't be there to protect him when he needed me the most. And I was angry at the idea that the furry body I used to adore and cuddle with and love with my whole heart was mishandled or possibly thrown into the trash, instead of being buried in the yard of his home where he belonged.It's hard losing a special cat. :( Thank you for putting the word on the street that everyone needs to be careful about letting their cats out at night. I hope they catch the person(s) committing the act.

yankeelady 6 years, 2 months ago

To Sugar's family I too am sorry for your loss. as many have said here, the animals we share our homes with are not just pets, they are family. I only hope the person responsible for this is caught quickly.

lmgp 6 years, 2 months ago

lawrenceguy Get over it? Name one serial killer or Manson-esque criminal and I bet you 9 times out of 10 humans were not the first things they killed. It's not about the fact that a beloved member of someone's family is was killed as much as it is a scary indication of potential harm to come. I for one hope that the Lawrence Police Department committing the proper time and resources to this investigation. Let's find this person before they're bold enough to take the next step.

skinnee11 6 years, 2 months ago

To the person(s) saying that they heard what sounded like "babies crying" - that is without a doubt a type of Owl. I have at least three that have been roaming my yard the past few days. Like clockwork, they start their vocal game at 5:30 a.m.I've gotten a few glimpses of them, and am trying to identify them through some research on-line. They appear to be part of the Bubo family, but none of the mpegs I've listened to sound right. I'm still looking.

crystalclear 6 years, 2 months ago

Sugar's owner- I'm so sorry for the loss of Sugar. I truly wish you and your family the best. I know that losing my cat would be like losing my best friend. I'm sure some people think its "cool" to torture cats. It might be more than one person doing this-maybe a group or something. I've heard stories from my parents how some kids in highschool thought it would be cool to pour gas on a cat and light it on fire. Sick bastardds. I know its not a satanic ritual because satanists don't believe in harming kids or animals. Its like one of the 10 commandments for them. I live around Dad Perry Park on Monterey Way. My neighbors have warned me that they think there is a "bobcat" in the forest of the park. They have lost a couple cats recently but never found the bodies. I've only talked to two of my neighbors so far... It makes me wonderI really hope this person/group is caught SOON

notajayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, 'before turning 18' should have been 'before turning 15' plus a pattern of antisocial behavior since age 15. Too tired today.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 2 months ago

I drive on that street early every morning. I wish I'd seen something that could have helped. My heart hurts for all of you who have lost pets. It is so incredibly hard.A pox to all of you joking about this and making it a soapbox for your intelligence and predictions. The point is, they chose to go public with their pain in order to help avoid others having to go through the same. That is what people do when they are caring and loving people - and shame on anyone who posts about this otherwise. Let's hope these people are caught and brought to justice. And let's hope it is soon.

lori 6 years, 2 months ago

Becca, humble much? No, not so much.

ForThePeople 6 years, 2 months ago

Hello,The user myron_grady sent the following message to you via LJWorld.com:==============================Idontwhowhoyouthinkyouarebutyoubetterwatchyourassifyouarestartingshiitwithme......==============================Please do not reply to this e-mail message. To send myron_grady a response, visit this Web page:http://www2.ljworld.com/users/myron_grady/contact/I do not appreciate threats and take them seriously. Do Not PM me again! Mods please look into this poster.