Archive for Friday, October 10, 2008

Green jobs

October 10, 2008

To the editor:

The most pressing issues our country and community are facing are the economic and the global-warming crises. These are topics on the forefront of each debate. However, my question is why aren't the candidates talking about the solution that would solve both issues: Green jobs? It is frustrating that this seems to be a taboo topic, even though it makes so much sense.

Sylvia Niccum,
Lawrence

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 6 months ago

Government controlled by and for corporations is nothing but fascism. That pretty well describes what we have these days. Is that OK with you, k778?

kansas778 6 years, 6 months ago

bozo--I would say that is close to what we have today. Controlled is too strong a word, I would say that the government is strongly influence by corporations, and I would agree that this is a bad thing. But there is another side to my no-tax stance. I wouldn't dole out corporate welfare or grant effective monopolies the way our government has. Jack--no or low taxes is not irrelevant, just not immediately practical. It is a goal we can work towards, starting out by immediately making drastic spending cuts, paying down debt, reforming social security so that we can honor the commitments we've already made, while not stealing the money of current payers so that we won't be in the hole for their SS money too. Then we can begin lowering taxes to a minimal level.

paavopetie 6 years, 6 months ago

Actually, the $700+$150 billion bailout bill should help create green jobs, or at least keep the green jobs we already have, as there were several "green" earmarks added to the bill. Check out this Wired.com blog... http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/10/bailout-bill-ri.html

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 6 months ago

If consumers want green products, the market will create the green jobs. Government should have little, if anything, to do with this.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 6 months ago

" It's nothing more than an indirect tax on us, the consumers."I take it that you prefer taxing consumers directly, then?

kansas778 6 years, 6 months ago

Green jobs are fine and dandy, but what does that have to do with the government--is it the government's job to create green jobs? It isn't, regardless of any controversy surrounding the claims of AGW a lot of people are prepared to believe it, and are adjusting their decision-making because of that belief. Just look at the number of commercials on TV selling "green" products to these people. If green jobs are sustainable, profitable, and marketable, the market will move in that direction regardless of what the government does. Instead of hoping the candidates make empty promises about green jobs, go out and create some yourself, you won't let yourself down as often as the government will.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 6 months ago

What are some green jobs in Lawrence? The way the economy is going I might have to pick-up a part-time job before long.

kansas778 6 years, 6 months ago

No, I am against taxes in general bozo, as I'm sure you are quite aware. My point was that saying it's OK to tax big evil corporations is deceiving because you are really taxing the consumers. It's a smoke screen. Why are you trying to read something into my statement that is clearly not there?

kansas778 6 years, 6 months ago

Bow--those I spelled out above, and also they should not have spent $700 billon, and the Fed shouldn't have lowered interest rates. They are trying to avoid the economic downturn by propping up the bubble, but all that is doing is subsidizing the bad decisions that led to this problem. We need to cut our losses and focus on recovery, not on futile attempts to stave off a recession with these short-term solutions.

jafs 6 years, 6 months ago

Then I guess you're against giving corporations tax breaks so that they'll create jobs as well?

kansas778 6 years, 6 months ago

It won't be pretty, but if Washington makes the right decisions, the economic downtown could be shorter and less painful. They aren't making the right decisions though, and unfortunately neither candidate is advocating for doing the right thing.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 6 months ago

I'd make a decent dog walker, except for the whole cleaning up the poo business. But if I leave it laying there instead of wasting a plastic bag I'm actually doing my part for the environment, right?

kansas778 6 years, 6 months ago

jafs--I am against taxing corporations period. It's nothing more than an indirect tax on us, the consumers.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 6 months ago

Government policies and actions have a major effect on the economy, including the types of industries we have and therefore the types of jobs available.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 6 months ago

Well I'm screwed there. I'm known in my family as the plant killer. I'm an over-waterer.