Letters to the Editor

Bedroom issue

October 4, 2008

To the editor:

John Rasmussen compares Barack Obama to Abraham Lincoln and Robert Kennedy, using the abortion issue. (Public Forum, Sept. 30). This saddens me. There are so many significant problems facing our country, and his focus is on regulating women's choices.

When I was in college we debated the issue of controlling unwanted pregnancies among those on welfare by using forced birth control. Since it was state money that they were receiving, did they have a right to procreate? Did the government have the right to regulate?

After much discussion, my professor made one simple statement that I will never forget. He said, "Do you really want the government in your bedroom? After all, if we live in a country where the government can tell you that you cannot have a child, who's to say that same government won't tell you that you have to have a child?" And vice versa.

It intrigues me when men want to regulate women's morality. Yet it has been when men have run our country that women's children have been lost to poverty, prejudice and war. Issues, Barack Obama wants to address and solve.

Educating people, not controlling them, is the way to make change. Offering solutions instead of judgment will render a different path. I am not comfortable in someone else's bedroom or deciding their moral choice on abortion. That is one issue that I will leave where it belongs: between a woman and her God. Not on the ballot.

Tammy Sabol,
Lawrence

Comments

denak 5 years, 6 months ago

"...Choice is such a private issue that it should be the business of no one except those the mother and father choose to involve...."This is the issue at hand but probably not for the reasons the poster thought.The Constitutional and legal question is whether or not abortion rises to the level of a fundamentally protected right.If it is a private matter just between a woman and her doctor, does that make it a fundamental right or does that m ake it simply a medical procedure that is not protected by the Constitution?If it is a fundamental right, then the government does have the right to regulate and protect said right just as it does any other right? Therefore, the government does have a right to "interfere." If one reads Roe v Wade(and it amazes me just how many people have never read Roe v Wade and yet think they are experts on it), it clearly says that the government does have the right to regulate abortion and to "protect human life." In Casey, the other seminal abortion court case, the government once again, reaffirmed that abortion is a right but also that the government can regulate abortion to the second trimester.However, if one believes that it is simply a choice between the man, woman and the doctor, then it does not rise to the level of a fundamentally protected right. As it stands now, it isn't even a choice between the man, woman and doctor. Only the female and the doctor. The man is irrelevant to the issue.If it is not a fundamental right, then it becomes a state right and once again, the state has the right to regulate the procedure as it does any other medical procedure and to put restrictions on it.This is not simply a "bedroom" issue. As with all "rights," the right of the citizen must compete with the right of the government to promote and advance public policy which it has every right to do.Dena

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

nota: "You mean the AA big book?????"Granted, yours may be a higher power than mine.,;-D

Truthteller 5 years, 6 months ago

cms:Do you think a mother and father should also be allowed to commit infanticide?

notajayhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

"All indications are that the only recognized text on morality is that thumpable one."You mean the AA big book?????

cms 5 years, 6 months ago

Well written Tammy. Thank you. Choice is such a private issue that it should be the business of no one except those the mother and father choose to involve. It is a personal matter. It is very easy, if you do not believe in abortion then do not have one.

Jaylee 5 years, 6 months ago

"Offering solutions instead of judgment will render a different path."truer words were never spoken."I can't understand a god who would say that it's OK to dispose of something He created"some people are REALLY sneaky!! just slip it right on past god's watchful eye.

Romans832 5 years, 6 months ago

Ragingbear, I'd like to know more about your god who would say abortion is acceptable. I can't understand a god who would say that it's OK to dispose of something He created.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

Hey, you get extra credit, just for doin' the math.,;-D

bndairdundat 5 years, 6 months ago

5.5 avg on the tang scale! I'm having a good day!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

On a ten-point scale..."agnostic" ... +11 points!on gender-relevance to abortion opining ... < 0

bndairdundat 5 years, 6 months ago

Seems to me that for as long as Christianity has been around it has been spreading its message of "believe or die, you savage heathens!" Once converted, (or not) the saviors of a new land proceed to rob the newly converted of their natural resources. Doesn't matter what they have, lumber, gold, uranium, oil, "Look what we've done for you, saved your souls! Now give us all your stuff!"Having been raised in a Christian home and feeling some guilt about my somewhat agnostic attitude, I can only say that as a gray haired boomer guy, if I get pregnant I will truly believe in miracles, and not until that time will I have the right to have an opinion on abortion.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

Tom Shewmon: "And when you're in my bedroom... my .38 special is in the drawer...."You know what they say about men with guns in the bedroom...either they're compensating...or they never got over those fears of childhood.It's alright, Tommy... Johnny is here to protect you... just let Sarah tuck you in... now, go back to sleep. "Educating people... is the way to make change."Good luck with that. All indications are that the only recognized text on morality is that thumpable one.

Kookamooka 5 years, 6 months ago

Alleluia sister! God would agree with you. God gets to judge us in the end. Why can't Christians just let God do his/it's job and stop trying to keep women from choosing their own path. Keep abortion safe and legal, I say. Let God sort us out later. That is the ultimate test of faith.

Ragingbear 5 years, 6 months ago

Kaycee, your god says so. Not mine. Just because you believe you are right gives you no power to enforce that on others. A lesson you Christians fail to understand time and time again, each time you declare a war, or any other atrocity on the human race. If we had your way, we would still be in the midst of the Spanish Inquisition. If you are curious as to what even you would qualify for, look up a nasty little device known as "the pear". So understand this. Keep your God to yourself.

KayCee 5 years, 6 months ago

We're not in your bedroom, kid.And it intrigues me when people don't want to regulate imorality. Your GOD says the issue is imoral.Furthermore slavery and abortion run a VERY close parallel.

Ragingbear 5 years, 6 months ago

Sex is a sin anyways. So is everything else even remotely fun. It's in the bible.

Truthteller 5 years, 6 months ago

How many abortions are performed in bedrooms?

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 6 months ago

And when you're in my bedroom, my wallet is on the nightstand and my .38 special is in the drawer, if you want those.