Letters to the Editor

Where’s the fire?

October 2, 2008, 12:00 a.m. Updated October 2, 2008, 10:51 a.m.

To the editor:

After reading the comments of our congressional delegation about the bailout bill vote, I think we should be glad they are not our local volunteer fire department. If your house was on fire and they arrived, I can imagine the conversation going like this:

Dennis Moore: "OK, guys, let's put the fire out!"

Nancy Boyda: "Not so fast - first we need to know how much water we'll need - we don't want to waste any."

Moore: "But what about the fire?"

Jerry Moran: "Also, we should tighten up the building codes to make structures more fireproof."

Moore: "But what about the fire?"

Todd Tiahrt: "And, while we're at it, let's toughen the penalties for arson (assuming that's what happened here)."

Moore: "But what about the fire?"

At that point, your house collapses in flames, and the discussion becomes academic. The fire crew expresses sympathy, and then intrepidly goes off to fight the next blaze.

I'm glad real life isn't like this. Or, is it?

Jeff Southard,
Lawrence

The original headline put on this letter by an editor might have been offensive to some readers.

Comments

gr 5 years, 6 months ago

"It was predominantly House Republicans who weren't voting for it, so a number of provisions are being added to get their support."So you think that's a proper way to pad bills? If no one wants to vote for something, keep adding fluff so they will vote for something they think is bad?That right there is why we are in a sorry mess.Any bill which has provisions not related to the main topic should be vetoed with no questions asked.

SMe 5 years, 6 months ago

And after the fire you pick up what survived and rebuild but with the knowledge to help prevent it from happening again.With the bailout (which, by the way, may not!) nothing is corrected except some very greedy men get to walk away with millions. Now, don't even try to tell me how great and effective the CEO financial caps are gonna be. If you believe that stuff let's discuss some property right on the Florida coastline I have available.

jafs 5 years, 6 months ago

I'm not entirely in favor of the bailout, but it would be fair to point out that the extra junk is being put in in order to get enough votes to pass the bill.It was predominantly House Republicans who weren't voting for it, so a number of provisions are being added to get their support.When they're done, it'll be a huge mish-mash in order to get passed.

gr 5 years, 6 months ago

There's no fire.Otherwise, in this "dire crisis" there would not be in the "junk" a tax credit for bicycles.

Defender 5 years, 6 months ago

Stupid letter. That is all anyone really needs to say.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 6 months ago

Follow the ling to economist Dean Baker's view on the "fire." He clearly believes that there is a fire, but it's a fairly localized fire that most of us can afford to let burn itself out.http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1417423198/bctid1828591228

Donnuts 5 years, 6 months ago

Sometimes you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't.

Jason Bailey 5 years, 6 months ago

Give me a break. This hyperbole in breaking down a complex issue into an inane comparison only exposes the ignorance of the writer.You could say the same thing about a chinese nuclear sub that surfaced off Virginia and is prepping to launch or a meteor that's speeding towards Earth or a child that's dangling from a precipice.The impact of economic crisis will be deep and lingering for years even after any sort of rescue package. The make-up of the rescue package (as it stands, 451 pages of junk) will have a profound impact on our children and grandchildren.Why not break the rescue into phases? Phase 1 = increase FDIC to $250,000 per account. That should keep consumers from pulling cash from their banks/brokerages. Phase 2 = Look for ways to lessen the financial impact without dumping foreign loans into the market (change Mark to Market rules put in place by Dems with SOX 2002 Act?). Phase 3 = If Phase 1 and 2 fail to stave a collapse, then implement a bailout but much reduced than $700 B.I applaud our Congress for taking a breath and trying to do the right thing all around. The LTE writer seems to think a knee jerk reaction (aka, SOX 2002 Act) is the solution.What happens if Dennis Moore says, "Screw all of you, I'll put the fire out myself." Grabs a can of gasoline thinking it's water and douses the flames? That's what could happen with an inappropriate reaction to the market problems.

Trobs 5 years, 6 months ago

Seriously? Someone was offended by that? It's 5th grade all over again. Teacher! Sally called me a name!

tvc 5 years, 6 months ago

I agree. Let the renaming of the renamed headline begin!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 6 months ago

Although "Where's the Fire?" may not be racially offensive, it would appear to contradict the message of the letter writer.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 6 months ago

The current headline is offensive to fires. It assumes that they cannot be seen and are, somehow, not equal to other thermodynamic phenomena.

alm77 5 years, 6 months ago

Ah, I couldn't figure out how I'd lived 31 years and never realized "Where's the fire?" was an offensive racial slur. Now I get it. ;)

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 6 months ago

And no acknowledgment from the online editors to the change. Better to just sweep it under the rug than admin your lapse in judgment...or editorial acumen.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

That headline didn't last long. For those just joining us, it said, "Chinese Fire Drill." It wasn't overly offensive to me (hint... I'm white), but I can understand how it would offend some folks.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

Hahaha. They changed the headline! Just now!And here I was thinking the "Slouch of the North-American Fat@$$" had a great ring to it. I'm sure that would have gone over better.

tvc 5 years, 6 months ago

I thought people were going to be running around the car! I see they changed it now. The house is already a loss, so let us talk about how to prevent another fire.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 6 months ago

How about the Yugoslavian Genocide Game?

ese 5 years, 6 months ago

Would a "Mexican Hat Dance" be ok?

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 6 months ago

I have to agree...very poor word choice.

mmsimpson 5 years, 6 months ago

The headline on this letter is extremely offensive. The expression does not appear in the letter itself so who, on the LJW staff, is responsible for it? Do you even know what this expression means? Would you use an antiquated slur about other ethnic groups so casually? The LJW owes everyone -- not just Asians -- an apology.

LogicMan 5 years, 6 months ago

Be sure to call and e-mail your Representative (Moore or Boyda in Lawrence) today telling them to vote NO on the bailout. It's even worse now via lots of pork added to it.