Archive for Saturday, November 22, 2008

Horrifying video

November 22, 2008

To the editor:

I am writing in regard to the Journal-World’s coverage of the fatal car accident that occurred on Oct. 25. I was horrified and outraged that the video footage of the burning vehicle was allowed to be shown.

Did it dawn on anyone that there might be someone still in the vehicle?

I realize that an accident of this magnitude is newsworthy, but the Journal-World crossed the line on this one.

I was with Allen Eastland’s son and his wife when the state trooper came to their home to inform them that their father had perished in a fire from, and I quote, “a horrendous accident.” I watched as the look of disbelief came over them when the officer explained what happened. I held and cried with them when reality set in. But what was the most painful and horrifying was when we opened the Web page of LJWorld.com only to see their father burn to death and knowing others were watching as well.

We all were advised by the Highway Patrol not to go to the crash site because of how gruesome it was. They were trying to protect the family from having to see it. Something the Journal-World did not obviously care about.

I hope that in the future the “people in charge” at the Journal-World will be more discreet and show some compassion when it comes to something as tragic as this.

Carolyn Ball,
Lawrence

Comments

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

I will never, ever get that front page photo of them pulling Doug Potter's plane out of the river, with him visible in the front seat.The horror and angry is just as strong to day, as it was then.Only it's worse, because now I have lost children, and can share in Doug's parent's pain.I'm glad I missed the video. Now that the ad's are on them, the ad runs ok, but the news video takes longer to load than is does for me to read the article AND some comments, so I don't watch them anymore.None.

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

Vicarious - Tool Eye on the TV Cause tragedy thrills me, Whatever flavor It happens to be Like: "Killed by the husband" "Drowned by the ocean" "Shot by his own son" "She used a poison In his tea And kissed him goodbye" That's my kind of story. It's no fun 'til someone dies Don't look at me like I am a monster Frown out your one face But with the other Stare like a junkie Into the TV Stare like a zombie While the mother holds her child, Watches him die, Pleas to the sky crying, "Why, oh why?!" Cause I need to watch things die From a distance Vicariously, I Live while the whole world dies You all need it too Don't lie. Why can't we just admit it? Why can't we just admit it, We won't give pause Until the blood is flowing Neither the brave nor bold Will write us a story. So, We won't give pause Until the blood is flowing I need to watch things die From a good safe distance Vicariously, I Live while the whole world dies You all feel the same so Why can't we Just admit it Blood like rain, come down Drum on grave and ground Part vampire Part warrior Carnivore and voyeur Stare at the transmitter Sing to the death rattle Credulous at best your desire to believe in Angels in the hearts of men Pull your heads on out, you hippies And give a listen Shouldn't have to say it all again The universe is hostile So impersonal Devour to survive So it is So it's always been We all feed on tragedy It's like blood to a vampire Vicariously, I Live while the whole world dies Much better you than I.

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

"Unfortunitly in the news world, the motto is “If it doesn't bleed, it doesn't lead.”"That's because it's what gets us to watch. The same reason that traffic jams build up by car accidents even when the accident isn't blocking any of the lanes.

mom_of_three 5 years, 4 months ago

Not that I agree with what the paper did, but it is going to happen when the local television station and newspaper are run by the same company. But speaking as someone who has lost a family member in an incident covered by the news media (in another part of the state btw), it hurts deeply, but it won't bring them back. We didn't watch or read the news for several days, because we knew the media coverage was out there. The coverage isn't how or what we wanted to remember our loved one by, and so we didn't. We knew it was going to be out there, in the media, so we ignored it. It's a dreadful shame we have to think like that, but you do.

Cynthia Schott 5 years, 4 months ago

I'm not sure that immoral acts like putting money in front of feelings has anything to do with the liberal viewpoint.Usually, it's just the opposite. In the past, at least, the LJW has been conservative, but I don't think that feelings of compassion has anything to do with a particular political party. It has more to do with being human and caring. Some of the most compassionate people I know are atheists or agnostic... neither liberal not conservative. Why don't we get past the claim that Christians and conservatives are the only compassionate people in the world?Cindy

Lynn731 5 years, 4 months ago

I agree with Carolyn. Putting that video on this website was totally inconsiderate of the family's feelings and should not have been done. I doubt they care, however, or they would not have done it in the first place. Most media is like that and in addition they usually slant the news toward the liberal viewpoint, so you really cannot believe what they say. Thank you, Lynn

madmike 5 years, 4 months ago

All too true Kansas fire911. Give some local yokal reporter a tidbit on either a tragedy or a chance to make a report against first responders, and they fall all over themselves.

kansasfire911 5 years, 5 months ago

Unfortunitly in the news world, the motto is "If it doesn't bleed, it doesn't lead."

SMe 5 years, 5 months ago

"The bubble headed bleached blond comes on at Fiveshe can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye."