Archive for Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Essential truth

November 19, 2008

To the editor:

When Nancy Boyda blamed the loss of her congressional seat to Lynn Jenkins on negative campaigning and lies, she made a statement that, unless meant to be ironic, can only contribute to cynicism and frustration concerning elections.

Boyda said, “What this race has proven is that if you want to win, you need to tell a bunch of lies about your opponent over and over and over again and get as many third-party outside groups, from outside Kansas, to do the same thing.”

Outside influence on elections distorts representative democracy. But more importantly, the appearance that she bows to the necessity of lying can do even more harm.

Truth is essential to democracy. Without it, voters have no basis for exercising rational judgment at the polls. Lying about one’s opponent, unless rendered ineffective by exposure, helps place in office someone whose commitment to truth is demonstrably weak and who simply is not to be trusted with public responsibility.

The voters, even more than Rep. Boyda, have reason to be outraged. After she has had time for her understandable anger to subside and to reflect on the broader meaning of the lying, I hope she will clarify her position.

Paul Fairchild,
Lawrence

Comments

avoice 6 years, 1 month ago

It frustrates me that we're starting to see a lot of "cat fighting" amongst the women who seek to represent the voters in public office. Sarah Palin and Lynn Jenkins are prime examples of women who need to hone their professionalism. I cringe to think of Ms. Jenkins employing the same smarmy, catty attitude on Capitol Hill that she displayed as a candidate for office. I'm sure we'll be very disappointed with her as time goes on and, hopefully, some party or other will offer us a better candidate next time around. It's even more disappointing, however, to see that Nancy Boyda has let bitterness come out after her defeat. She seems to want to prove that we would have been just as bad-off to have re-elected her. Well, let's see some better candidates in the future, Dems and Repubs. We independents are waiting to see some intelligence and professionalism.

Eileen Jones 6 years, 1 month ago

Boyda lost because of Jenkins smears (I saw them, Boyda is right) and because Kansas is just so die-hard Republican when it comes to the national offices that it's hard for a Democrat to compete. I think Boyda also lost because her supporters were so focused on the national election, working their hearts out for Obama, that they ignored the state race and, like me, thought Boyda was safe because she has done a good job and it was a good year for Democrats. I particularly appreciated Boyda voting against the bailout. That took guts. Jenkins was pretty sneaky, having her husband wait until exactly one week after the election to file for divorce. That was dishonest on her part. I HOPE BOYDA RUNS AGAIN IN 2010

dagopman 6 years, 1 month ago

Nancy Boyda needs to face the plain truth: she was FIRED by the constituents of the 2nd district because she was all bluster and no substance.

verity 6 years, 1 month ago

avoice: "It frustrates me that we're starting to see a lot of “cat fighting” amongst the women who seek to represent the voters in public office."What a sexist remark. Men running for office are any different? I won't even bother to name names, it would take too long.

dagopman 6 years, 1 month ago

To logicsound04:The difference is that Jenkins is now our federal representative and Boyda is not! Hooray!!

JohnBrown 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm just glad Ryun isn't around any more. I purposefully left the congressional race blank because Boyda refused to endorse O'Bama. So, I can't complain.