Archive for Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tough on chant

November 18, 2008

To the editor:

OK, here is how the situation regarding vulgarity used by the group of student "children" at each Kansas University football game kickoff needs to play out.

The solution is easy - but painful. The announcement of unsportsmanlike conduct before the game HAS to be enforced.

Kickoff, bad chant, stop game; 15 yard penalty - KU. Repeat.

Games will be lost by one or two points that could have made THE difference. It could have an impact at bowl bid time. Networks may change their minds about televising the games. Everyone will be miserable. The fault will lie totally with the KU student body's childish display of unsportsmanlike conduct and disrespect for their Orange Bowl-winning football team and the university. Sure, times have changed, but good manners and the class act that is associated with KU should never go out of style. Let's keep our Jayhawk pride intact.

I opt for a traditional JAYHAWKS : CHARGE!

J. Dunn,

Lawrence

Comments

Ragingbear 6 years, 1 month ago

Penalty for what the fans say. So all we have to do in order to fix a game is dress up a bunch of Huskers like KU fans and have them make a bad chant and we can completely blow the team this year. Go KU!

labmonkey 6 years, 1 month ago

For once, I agree with ragingbear (although that would be more of an antler trick...if they ever play in Lawrence again...than a Husker trick). There would be some unintended consequences. I think a better solution is to revoke the discount for the student section for a year.

mom_of_three 6 years, 1 month ago

I can't wait for the students to go home for Thanksgiving, and their moms or grandmoms ask them why the music is do loud at kickoffs, or what exactly are the students chanting (as grandmom is older and can't hear very well.)Then they have to tell grandmom or mom what the chant is, and then look out. Grandmom and mom will be scolding the kids, and that may be enough of that. I know that is what my grandma would have done. She would have kicked my butt if I was a student saying that chant.

cthulhu_4_president 6 years, 1 month ago

So I assume that everyone has been completely outraged about the "BULL$***" chant at the basketball games for the past, oh, 25 years or so? Automatic foul everytime they do it I say!!

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

The fans chant, and the team gets the penalty. That could change the odds. On my way to the sports book.

Confrontation 6 years, 1 month ago

Can someone reallly be this ignorant? No wonder he only gave a first initial!

kg4gke 6 years, 1 month ago

Roy Williams asked the student body to stop shouting a certain seven-letter word that starts with "A" after the opponent team made their free throw shots back in 1988 and we stopped doing it. This coming from a member of the Rowdy Section / Bench Hogs of 1990-91. It was childish, stupid and low-class for us to do it in the first place. If I want low class, I'll watch the Mizzou fans. Seriously... using a line from an Adam Sandler movie for a kickoff chant? Someone in the whole student body can't come up with something better (and more creative) than from the mind of Adam "pee in the doorway and its funny" Sandler?

mom_of_three 6 years, 1 month ago

i have seen lots of schools do the BS chant at basketball games. that is not limited to KU.

BaxterC 6 years, 1 month ago

To the J. Dunn:Every letter you write to the editor, I will give you a 15 yard penalty. If this doesn't work, take away the extra touchdown point each time. Repeat. Ouch!Let's keep our Jayhawk pride intact.-Child

Lawrenceisverycrooked 6 years, 1 month ago

OMG. Quit making such a big deal over this and it will go away on its own. Now that a bunch of goody two shoes have complained, it just fueled the fire and wll continue now no matter what. Move on people.