Archive for Sunday, November 16, 2008

Fairness

November 16, 2008

To the editor:

The Lawrence City commissioners are considering a new ordinance that would prohibit poor people from asking passers-by for money, a practice known as "panhandling." A city attorney is properly concerned about such an ordinance's fairness, about whether the ordinance would prohibit all requests for money. May I suggest that, in the interest of fairness, any new ordinance should prohibit banks, mortgage companies, insurance companies and the like from asking for tax money that comes from Lawrence residents?

We who are lucky enough to have an income to pay taxes on should have as much protection from being asked for money by the people who got the country into this financial mess as we do from being asked for money by the people who are the banks', mortgage companies' and insurance companies' victims.

John Rosen,
Lawrence

Comments

none2 5 years, 4 months ago

I think it is a hoot all these people who think these panhandlers are poor. You want to see poor, go live in a third world country for a few years where there is no welfare, food stamps, shelters, and any of the safety nets we have. Then tell me about just how poor these panhandlers are.Most panhandlers I have seen is s scam. Some use it to make money, others to buy booze. Try giving panhandlers things such as food, and watch how they get mad at you. If I was really poor, I'd appreciate the food.

kczach2001 5 years, 5 months ago

The problem is with panhandlers and business areas. The economy is scaring away business bad enough. Panhandlers will add more fuel to the fire as far as scaring away customers to downtown businesses. They need to be bused to Topeka where there is no businesses downtown anyway.

XD40 5 years, 5 months ago

Have the pan handlers apply for a city license to beg. Flat rate of $150. That way, if you choose to give them money you can get their license number and report it with the deduction for charity on your income taxes. Then, the beggar can file and pay taxes making him/her a productive citizen. If they do not get a license, fine them or put them in jail.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

What does a pahhandler and AIG CEO have in common?Neither one needs to work!

Andrew Stahmer 5 years, 5 months ago

Under the obamian reich 'homeless' will not need to 'ask' you for your money.The government will take it from you and give it to them.Panhandling will become a thing of the past. Your money will be 'our' money.Heil obama!!

Donnuts 5 years, 5 months ago

That is ridiculous. So is the problem downtown though.

Ragingbear 5 years, 5 months ago

...and then they came for me.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 5 months ago

"...the ki-shu-ten-ketsu style of writing"+++LMAO!!

BuffyloGal 5 years, 5 months ago

jonas I think it is part of the ki-shu-ten-ketsu style of writing, famous among the Japanese. Talk about learning to drive and rules you learned before transitioning into the real story - the ten-car pile-up in the tunnel today. Or many Lawrencians failed freshman comp. I like to see it as a sign of our diversity!

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

Is this the day that LTE writers are required to use a 2 paragraph format for their letters where the first and second paragraph have virtually nothing to do with each other, besides being used in poor analogies?http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/nov...

appleaday 5 years, 5 months ago

Actually, the insurance company uses the money to pay the CEO, who buys a lot of booze. One difference: you can say "no" to the panhandler.

BigPrune 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm okay with not paying Wallstreet fat cats just as I'm okay not paying panhandlers. Pass it!It's always the same old story...."I'm just passing through and got stranded by a friend."...or "I just made a bad loan and now I'm stuck without any money." The bum uses the money to buy some booze, the insurance company uses the money to buy a massage.