Archive for Sunday, November 16, 2008

Equal right

November 16, 2008

To the editor:

With the election of President-elect Obama, it now appears to be more true than ever that "anyone can be president." Race, religion and/or gender is not relevant to who is best able to lead our country. Yea for equal opportunity and civil rights. However, there is one class of Americans that do not get the same birthright.

I would consider that if an infant has enough strength to survive an abortion, there might be a higher purpose for his/her life - maybe president! Therefore, it might be wise to support that child in its early hours of life. Yet many of these babies are just left alone to die, and Obama supports this "hands-off" position, in not voting to pass Illinois' version of the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act. I know of a family who had a new granddaughter born on Nov. 4. She was four months premature, about the age many are aborted. Cannot we give the same care to both? Is the difference that one is wanted and the other is unwanted? God forgive us!

Abortion survivors should have the same rights as anyone else, and I am waiting for the day when an abortion survivor is a candidate for president.

Verna Froese,
Lawrence

Comments

none2 5 years, 5 months ago

I googled and found that 4 out of 10 pregnancies end in abortion. If there are that many cases of rape, then we need to have law enforcement crack down on rapists big time. If there are that many cases of severe deformities, then scientists and environmentalists need to find out what is causing it. If it is about defective pregnancy prevention devices or lack of training how to use them, then don't we owe it to get this remedied? Lets take a topic that has nothing to do with abortion since it rubs people so raw on both sides of the debate...If four out of ten young women were getting double mastectomies, wouldn't someone question what was going on? Wouldn't we want to know if this was about cancer, tumors, back pain, or fear of genetic indicators for breast cancer? If that is the case wouldn't we want to find out what we need to do to immediately reverse this trend of cancer, tumors, or other causes? If on the other hand, it turned out that most of them were elective surgeries, would we just say it was the young woman's body and she can do whatever she wants? Or would we want to do something to reverse such a trend because it seems just so "weird"? I doubt anybody would call for an all out ban, but surely one could understand that such percentages would shock the average person.If this example seems too sexist, change it to 4 out of 10 males getting castrations. Likewise, I think most people would agree that society wouldn't just say, it is there body. There would be lots of questioning as to why something that should be rare become so common place.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 5 months ago

Freedom of Choice is the American Way.If you really want to reduce abortion, you have to educate (really educate, none of this abstinace-only stuff) and make contraception widely available. No other way around it.

jimincountry 5 years, 5 months ago

Guess "a mother's love" is meant only for the non-aborted as opposed to the unborn for some women.....not sure what that really says except that abortion is such a terrible alternative. Thank you mother!

persevering_gal 5 years, 5 months ago

Well, apparently it's double homicide here in Kansas and 35 other states to kill a woman who is pregnant. Also, what do you call something that has a beating heart, a spinal structure, and a brain all within the first 5 weeks of pregnancy? That sounds like a little more than a fetus to me. I'd say this kid's got something going for them.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 5 months ago

"Human" and "with a potential for development" are implied( not that the "laws of most states" are relevant, FMHPOV ) .

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 5 months ago

TRA, existence is not enough. Brain dead people exist by that reasoning but are legally dead according to the laws of most states. For that matter, rocks exist. It all depends on if you define "life" as quantity or quality.

Strontius 5 years, 5 months ago

I'll start giving the "pro-life" people consideration when they expand their life ethic to those who exist outside of the womb.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 5 months ago

Agreed on those one-sided "higher purpose" arguments.For this mortal, tho', existence is justification enough.

witchfindergeneral 5 years, 5 months ago

True, TRA, a fertilized egg certainly has more developmental and physical (maybe not spiritual) potential than seperate gamates To argue the "the higher purpose" of any unborn child is still a foolish line of reasoning: as others have said, a child could just as easily be a Hilter or a Saddam instead of a Lincoln.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 5 months ago

As for ALL human beings, given a sufficiently supportive environment, a fetus is not only viable but has the potential for ongoing development along those continua characteristic of ALL humans... physical, emotional, cognitive, spiritual.... This can not be said of gametes; no amount of environmental enrichment can make a man of "half a man." ( To think otherwise is not to understand the concept of environment. )

witchfindergeneral 5 years, 5 months ago

Wow, this tired campaign claim is still around? Verna should base her arguments on fact: http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/born_alive_baloney.htmlHer potentiality argument is fallacious too: if a fetus has such potential, an unfertilized egg or even sperm could arguably have similar potential. Where else could the unborn child's potential come from?

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

ebyrdstarr (Anonymous) says: "There are no babies born alive after unsuccessful abortions who are simply left to die. I don't understand where this insane myth came from."http://commdocs.house.gov/committees/judiciary/hju73696.000/hju73696_0.htm[I suggest you start on page 41.]

skinny 5 years, 5 months ago

Who is going to pay for all those unwanted pregnancies. You?I doubt it!

ebyrdstarr 5 years, 5 months ago

Excellent, TRA. Luckily, I didn't have my coffee yet, or I'm pretty sure some would have come out my nose.There is no truth to Verna's letter, as mom points out. There are no babies born alive after unsuccessful abortions who are simply left to die. I don't understand where this insane myth came from.

Andrew Stahmer 5 years, 5 months ago

We live in a society of....disposable cupsdisposable contact lensesdisposable camerasdisposable incomedisposable babies

Donnuts 5 years, 5 months ago

"... plans for everyone. It's in the way of my life." China Girl by David Bowie.Oh... I thought I was on the David Bowie song page.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 5 months ago

Mimi: "To abort a child is as personal decision as decisions can get and therefore what right do I have to force my ideas on someone else?"I agree with Mimi. There is perhaps no more personal a choice than whether or not to kill another human being, especially a family member.Who am I to take issue if that personal decision is murder?And, after all, the unborn aren't really "human" or even really alive, so it doesn't matter that the choice is "forced" on subthem.Besides, better to nix that tumor before it grows into something really malignant, like an adult abortion proponent.

mom_of_three 5 years, 5 months ago

I believe that is the act that Obama didn't vote for, because he believed the language was already in the existing act? Let's see if we can get the facts straight, can we?

BuffyloGal 5 years, 5 months ago

"...there might be a higher purpose for his/her life - maybe president! - Maybe Hitler! Potentiality is not an argument.Adopt as many as you can Verna. You time would be better spent putting your money where your mouth is.

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

Better than sending them to die for political expediency, perhaps. Not by much.

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 5 months ago

Why is it that Dems and in particular ultra liberal Dems like BO are caught up in a culture of death, even the using of dead US soldiers for political expediency?

Mimis_friend 5 years, 5 months ago

I whole heartedly support a no abortion policy in this country for those who willingly get pregnant and want an abortion because of the inconvenience. This is not right in my book. But how many people read my book or care what I think? To abort a child is as personal decision as decisions can get and therefore what right do I have to force my ideas on someone else? Each person must decide this issue for themselves and do what their mind and heart dictates. This clearly leads me to being pro-choice. I may not agree with the decisions made, but I want the choice to make my own decisions, even oppose abortion if I want and I will ensure you have the same right. Pushing it down someone's throat is wrong.