Archive for Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Signal change

November 11, 2008

To the editor:

I am a freshman at South Junior High School, and, as a soon-to-be driver, I have to stay I am very confused about the new traffic signals.

Overall, I believe this change is a good idea. The only thing I really don't like about the new traffic signals is there are going to be three different yellow signals. One will be a solid arrow for oncoming traffic that is about to come from the other direction. The second signal will be a flashing arrow, which means left turn is allowed, but drivers must yield to coming traffic. The third signal means traffic is coming from your left and your right. Do we really need all these types?

Another thing is that there is going to be an arrow for a red light. I think that an arrow for a red light makes no sense because people already know not to turn and to stop on a red light. I understand that safety is important; all these lights may cause some trouble.

Alexis Leindecker,
Lawrence

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 8 months ago

I wasn't beating up on the kid. She's just learning, and being willing to ask for help is a good sign.

cthulhu_4_president 6 years, 8 months ago

Yes, well luckily it is not up to YOU to beat up said children. If you are so concerned and passionate, then go to the high school/junior high's around here and volunteer with a parental driver's ed organization (SADD or MADD or something). I find it hard to believe that your post was out of concern for this child and not just an excuse to bully someone. Beat up your own kids, not those just looking for an explination from adults who should be more responsible

geekin_topekan 6 years, 8 months ago

"..but don't beat up on the kid"+++Unfortunately, when she gets licensed and is on the street, that idea will be worth its weight in d*g5h!t..Especially in this town.Words on a forum are nothing more than a precursor to the realities of life at 23rd and Iowa or 6th and Lawrence.Put the fear of God into them, I say.If parents are willing to cut them loose,potentially to their death than you can't beat up on them enough.

Charles L Bloss Jr 6 years, 8 months ago

I do not understand them, most people wont understand them either. Therefore they will cause accidents! Whose brilliant idea was this? Is it in the manual for study before one gets a driver's license? Thank you, Lynn

Ragingbear 6 years, 8 months ago

14 year olds should NEVER be behind the wheel. 15 year olds must have a permit, and a fully licensed driver with them. I myself am an advocate of raising the driving age to 18.

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

Let's see, when the LJW posted something about the new signals, there were tons of posts from people who didn't like them or were a little confused about them. And these, I assume, were adults. This kid is merely stating her opinion.

mistygreen 6 years, 8 months ago

All I can say is What genius thought of this new system?

geekin_topekan 6 years, 8 months ago

"...I find it hard to believe that your post was out of concern for this child"+++And your disbelief is justified.I am concerned for MY safety and the safety of my passengers because we have enough bimbos driving around clueless in this town."...Beat up your own kids, not those just looking for an explination from adults who should be more responsible +++There is more to this paragraph?I will wait.In the mean time,I will not shut up on such things.I am at risk when we have nervous,inexperienced and confused people behind the wheel.Try telling the recent fatality's families that safety is not everyone's responsibility.I understand that it may not be my place to instruct other men's children.Then again,mine aren't posting their questions on public forums.

cthulhu_4_president 6 years, 8 months ago

Wow, how refreshing to know that a child who is guilty of nothing but sharing their opinion and asking questions can look forward to name-calling, ridicule and rudeness from the more self-rightous members of this board.No kids on your lawn to yell at or squirrels to shoot or something? Therapy may be a good idea if insulting this person actually made you feel good.

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

But I also see your point about driving, especially roundabouts, but don't beat up on the kid

denak 6 years, 8 months ago

At the risk of having all the driving "experts" on here bring their wrath down on me, I think these new signals are confusing also.I passed this article around work and not one person saw the need for these signals and most thought they were confusing.In the original article, it said that the city asked for input on this and that the response was overwhelmingly in favor of it and yet, this is the first I have heard of it.With all the other things we need in this city, I don't really see the need for changing all the signals.Dena

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

Oh bear, this is a 14 or 15 year old kid. Give them a break.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 8 months ago

Driving is a very complicated skill that not everyone can master. Unfortunately, it's our primary means of mass transit, and a very high percentage of drivers are unqualified for one reason or another. That's why we have 40,000 people killed on our roads every year, and many thousands more seriously injured and permanently disabled.If you can't figure out how traffic lights work, or how to navigate a roundabout, perhaps you should hand the keys over to someone who can.

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

bozo - the kid was just saying how it is confusing enough when you are learning to drive with everything you have to learn, and now something is being changed, which probably isn't in the manual yet. Go back and read the postings on the original article, and see all the adults who also admitted having problems.

gl0ck0wn3r 6 years, 8 months ago

"Richard 'give me your money' Heckler (Anonymous) says: And not necessary spending."Says the guy who advocates for regressive sales taxes and expensive round abouts in his unelected position on the traffic safety board.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 8 months ago

If only more of us could admit it when we don't fully understand something. As for the new traffic lights.... The city is broke. Enough said.

Ragingbear 6 years, 8 months ago

If you are too confused about traffic signals, then stay away from the wheel of the car. I would suggest going back to school. They teach basic common sense there still.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like it starts flashing a yellow arrow when there are indeed vehicles coming, i.e., there are sensors in the road that change it from solid to flashing?And for heavens sake, leave the kid alone! Shame on you! Would you rather she just wing it or ask? Cripes.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 8 months ago

I don't believe this young lady has a place at the controls of a potentially lethal tool."One will be a solid arrow for oncoming traffic that is about to come from the other direction. The second signal will be a flashing arrow, which means left turn is allowed, but drivers must yield to coming traffic. The third signal means traffic is coming from your left and your right."You just answered your own question genius.Still confused?Let someone else drive."Do we really need all these types?"Yes, WE do.You however, and others who can't figure them out,don't.Hopefully you wont be at the wheel so they won't have any affect in your day.Take the T until you are fully aware and competent behind the wheel.Otherwise you are a danger to the lives of everyone around you.Oh,and if you ever own a gun,young lady,the pointy end faces AWAY from you.