Archive for Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Free State High senior suspended after altercation at school

November 11, 2008

A senior Free State High School student was suspended Monday after punching another student at the school, a Lawrence school district spokeswoman said.

A battery report was filed with police after the male student punched a junior male student during an argument, said Julie Boyle, district spokeswoman.

The junior wasn't hurt, she said, and the senior was suspended in accordance with school board policy.

The school district notifies the school board, district administrators and the local media when schools require assistance from police or fire and medical services, an e-mail from Boyle said.

Comments

CarterFaucheaux 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm too young to remember those days, dweezil, but I completely agree with your point.Also, this is not news. Please don't report teenage fist-fights unless someone is seriously injured.

Barack_OShewmon 6 years, 1 month ago

I hereby declare that all of Americas Youth must try to unite and get along. Please young Americans try to repress your hormones and control your anger. This message was approved by Barack OShewmon.

packs_of_wild_dogzz 6 years, 1 month ago

Confrontation is always the first person to say something stupid. Just because kids do something wrong doesn't mean they have bad parents. Confrontation, do you have kids, and if so have they ever done anything inappropriate? If you say yes, you're a bad parent, if you say no you're a liar...which would also make you a bad parent.

Emily Hadley 6 years, 1 month ago

Thank god we didn't have such slow news days when I was in high school!

CarterFaucheaux 6 years, 1 month ago

In other news, a West Junior High student was given detention for talking back to his teacher.

jayhawklawrence 6 years, 1 month ago

Things have changed for the better since I was in High School. I got jumped several times in High School because I was small and looked vulnerable.Every time, the dumb principal suspended both me and the bully.I guess because I never lost the fights.We cannot sit back and allow this type of behavior to go on in our schools. To do nothing is a worse injury to the students involved, especially the victim.Good job Free State!

sherbert 6 years, 1 month ago

slow news day, that's what I was thinking. he didn't have a weapon or anything, just a teenage fight, how many of those did we have in school?

jhawks1234 6 years, 1 month ago

hail2oldku: It wasn't 10 years ago when a fist fight would occur at a high school and it would be handled internally with suspensions as opposed to having the cops called.

jhawks1234 6 years, 1 month ago

"whatever happened to catchin a good old fashion passionate a** whoopin, and gettin your shoes, coat and hat tooken"-Eminem

CarterFaucheaux 6 years, 1 month ago

If Take_A_Letter_To_Maria's information is correct, the racist little punk got what was coming to him.

anotherdayinparadise 6 years, 1 month ago

In related news... No one other than the child's parents gives a crap.

black_butterfly 6 years, 1 month ago

I wonder if Lawrence Public Schools, or Free State in particular has a discipline policy that addresses racial slurs or can students just speak freely and say what they want with no consequences except for street justice. Hmmmm......................

mightyquin 6 years, 1 month ago

Confrontation - How do you know that it is bad parenting? You never saw two guys get in a fight in school before?

dweezil222 6 years, 1 month ago

hail2oldku 6 years, 1 month ago

dweezil222 (Anonymous) says: Teenaged altercations happen. Anybody remember the good old days when the school would have just handled it and this wouldn't have involved the cops?You mean like the 60's when you could drop an N bomb and not have to worry? Oh, wait..........

SofaKing 6 years, 1 month ago

Darn - I never got a news article for my high school fights. Times they are a changin.'

Judgesmails 6 years, 1 month ago

Confrontation has been an idiot on here for years.Nice life....

Take_a_letter_Maria 6 years, 1 month ago

1234 - If I am reading h2oku's post correctly, it meshes well with what my kids told me about the incident.The beator got called the n word and was told he'd look good swinging from a tree with something draped around his neck by the beatee. This led to a little more than a pop upside the head (chairs be thrown and a good old fashioned @ss kickin'). I'd say what the paper left out of the story was more story than what actually made it in, if what I am told is correct.If that is what hail is referring to 1234, I'd say the cops would have been called in 10 years ago as well, wouldn't you agree. Of course one should be asking where the SRO and the school rent-a-cops were at the time.

chicagoofficer 6 years, 1 month ago

disappointing. this is not news! someone should lose their degree for posting this as a news story.

labmonkey 6 years, 1 month ago

What concerns me more was that one student actually got charged with assult. There is a thing called free speech (where you do have the right to drop a racial slur), but with that comes the consequences (getting the crap beat out of you when you open your stupid, racist mouth). The cops, nor the LJW should not even be involved.

Beth Bird 6 years, 1 month ago

Why is this in the paper? This is so dumb. Who cares?!?

Freestater456 6 years, 1 month ago

oh and one other thing Maria but the security gaurds (if thats what you want to call them) can no longer break up fights because last year as a fight was being broken up one of the security gaurds threw a kid off and he hit a bench he was completely fine but people started throwing fits so now they can't break up fights. Completely Ridiculous

Freestater456 6 years, 1 month ago

Maria you are exactly correct in the words that that stupid hick wannabe used. In my opinion he deserved the chair to the face plus the kick to the face and the overall a** whooping. Maybe he shouldn't try to impress his other hick wannabes and hopefully learned his leason or he will get the same whooping many timesGood Job DP MC deserved everything that he got and probably more