Archive for Sunday, November 2, 2008

Police say overnight shooting was accidental

Topeka woman treated at Lawrence Memorial Hospital

November 2, 2008

A Topeka woman was treated and released from Lawrence Memorial Hospital on Sunday after being accidentally shot.

Cassie Hedges, a white female, was in the driver's seat of a stationary vehicle at the Kwik Shop at 3440 W. Sixth St. when a passenger in the backseat accidentally discharged a weapon, shooting through the driver's seat and hitting Hedges, Lawrence Police Sgt. Ted Bordman said.

Bordman said Hedges was hit in the leg and the abdomen. He said there were believed to be several people in the vehicle at the time of the incident.

Hedges initially told police that she was shot at Club Axis, 821 Iowa. Upon further questioning, however, she reported that she was shot while in a vehicle, Lawrence Police Sgt. Dave Hubbel said.

Police said they did not receive a 911 call for the incident. Hedges checked into the hospital around 2:50 a.m., according to dispatchers.

Comments

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

Nothing surprizes me about Smitty. She (I know her) is capable of trying to hijack any thread for either Sevier or YH or both lately.

doc1 6 years, 1 month ago

Where's a suicide bomber when you need one.

Mike Blur 6 years, 1 month ago

glockowner, have you served in the military? I have. Since my honorable discharge 21 years ago, I have kept up on ownership and maintenance of my firearms. Glocks are a substandard personal firearm that only stupid knuckleheads such as yourself ascribe to. If you're so damn worried about shooting yourself in the foot while unholstering your firearm, maybe you should look into purchasing a firearm that emphasizes user safety while offering necessary firepower.If you want to "think" you have more weapons experience than me, please reveal your true identity to me. (I will not tell anyone.) Then we can compare.Sincerely, Mike Blur. Armed and liberal.

newsomebody 6 years, 1 month ago

Just for the record, axis staff was there till 3:00 a.m. Staff was cleaning the parking lots from the Quality Inn to the neighboring parkinglots to the south and where in and out of the building untill they all left. This parking lots where empty befor 2:10 and if that girl checked in at 2:50 at the hospital. I'm saying it didn't happen in the parking lot. If i'm shot, i surly am not driving around wondering what i am going to do. If i was shot, my a** is breaking every speed limit law and running every stop sign to get to a hospital. Also with the hotel there, two 24 hr gas stations across the street, a hooka house that's open till 6 a.m. and no one heard anything, it didn't happen in the parking lot or in that area. It probably was an acciedent and it was an excuse to keep who ever out of trouble. Plus, officers where there at Axis, as well as every othere bar that has more that 50 people, untill everyone had cleared off. Lawrence as officers at all big bars at the close of business. Wednesday- Hawk and Phogy dog; Thursday- Ranch and Downtown ;Friday-Abe and Jakes and 508; Saturday- Brothers, Ranch,Hawk, AXIS. It's pretty amazing how if you get a minority in a big group, how it becomes stereotyped as major problem or a gang related place and you judge it. Axis has never had a single stabbing or shooting. I want to see one report that says that. I can pull reports at brothers, granda, Thai House. Aren't those all with a few blocks of the police station?? Go hit up all the college bars on there busy nights and than go to axis on its. I have. It's no different than any of the other bars except it has black, white, asian, native, and other culturals there having fun. It's funny that KU school related groups do events at axis. Don't you think if it was that dangerous, they would allow that?? People get information from second, third, fourth, hand rumors. Get some information from a reliable source, than make a comment. Plus it's not illegal to have a gun in a car without a permit. Kansas law your car is classified as the same as your home. You can't have it loaded and ammunition within reaching distance. You also can't have one within 200 ft of a bar or a liquor establishment. If your shot between your waist and chest, whether it's your front or back, some people call it the same thing so people have a general idea of where it's at on the body. Shot it back, that's not really to the point is it.

nobody1793 6 years, 1 month ago

"Axis has never had a single stabbing or shooting."I had some shooting pains in my stomach back when it was the Village Inn...

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 1 month ago

The shooter must have had a bad case of 'fire arm.' There is a strong correlation between habitual carelessness in the handling of weapons and 'fire arm.' It can strike at any moment, but it could take only minutes or even years for it to develop. The condition is sometimes fatal and often affects close friends and family. If one survives the condition, then quite often, one is immune to redeveloping the condition for the remainder of one's life. Unfortunately, this is not always the case.Alright, I'm officially bored.

Keith 6 years, 1 month ago

"Every time one moves one's firearm out of a holster, the possibility for an negligent discharge like this increases."Sounds like we'd all be safer if you just left them at home.

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

compmd - I understand your point, but mine is if she is sitting in the front seat (facing forward) and the shot comes from the back seat, I would think it would be described as being shot in the back. It may just be me, but saying shot in the abdomen, means the bullet entered from the front. So was she turned around? and if so why? fighting, argueing?? It just seems bizarre.And LiberalDude - You would be amazed at how many guns are in cars, particularly at 2:00 am. And especially around the bars in town.

beatrice 6 years, 1 month ago

timeto: "I don't spend money where I can't carry. It's not worth the hassle..." Well, that is one excuse for not going to college.

XEPCT 6 years, 1 month ago

Agreed beobachter, I want a list too.

q_ball2kand1 6 years, 1 month ago

"Axis has never had a single stabbing or shooting"http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/jun/17/giddens/Moon Bar/ Club Axis/ Topeka Trash HangoutCall it what you want.

Sieb 6 years, 1 month ago

Quigly (Anonymous) says: If you "accidentally" fire a gun. You should loose ALL fire arm privileges. Only IDIOTS(and this is directed to whoever shot the gun) misfire. What a moron.Quigly,I agree with your post. But before you call people Idiots and morons, you should know that loose is the opposite of tight. Lose, I believe, is the word you were looking for. Just FYI

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

Not to mention Quigly, I am sure these people didn't have any fire arm privleges to begin with. These people are associated with thugs and the gun was probably stolen.

BrianR 6 years, 1 month ago

The shooting was determined to be without malice. That is the story.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, I wasn't that impressed with gl0ck0wn3r's first comment. It begins with a scenario, that being an if-then statement. But we do not know if the guy actually did have a CCH. So without knowing whether the argument being made actually stands on solid ground, a conclusion is reached--that it most likely was a CCH-er storing or holstering their weapon.Why does it seem like every time there is a story about a shooting, the CCH people come out whining about how CCH-prohibiting establishments are somehow the cause of the shooting?

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

OK, why does this story smell even worse than the original.?? It happened somewhere, sometime, in some car. Rightttt. And while I guess anything is possible, just how do get shot in the abdomen from somebody in the back seat.?? Sounds to me like this person is not quite being honest about this.

compmd 6 years, 1 month ago

"just how do get shot in the abdomen from somebody in the back seat.?? "Um, easily? At that range even a .22 would probably go through a car seat. Hawk, I'd rather it be open season on gangstas.

Quigly 6 years, 1 month ago

LiberalDude 6 years, 1 month ago

So did the person who shot her have a licence for the gun? Why was the gun in the car? I don't like that there are people driving around at 2:00 in the morning shooting off guns!

gl0ck0wn3r 6 years, 1 month ago

It's always funny to see the "OMG GUNS" crowd jump on these stories. License for a gun? What state do you think you are in? What would be interesting is to see if the person had a CCH. I can tell you from experience that, thanks to establishments posted anti-CCH, one may have to store one's firearm several times a day. This is by far the most dangerous part of CCH because one's firearm is moving from one's holster to a secure location within the vehicle. Every time one moves one's firearm out of a holster, the possibility for an negligent discharge like this increases. It would be much safer to get rid of the anti-CCH postings.

BlackVelvet 6 years, 1 month ago

Mike Blur, why do you feel Glocks are "a substandard personal firearm....."I personally prefer a 1911 but own several glocks as well. There is nothing wrong with Glock firearms. They are accurate, reliable and simple. I am sure that there are some substandard glock owners, but I repeat, there is nothing wrong with the product itself.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 1 month ago

okay, somebody has to say it:she was from topeka!suppose the gunsel was from topeka too?***and, Glocky, in case you don't know, little mikey blur is very very full of himself, totally a waste to try to interact with him. he will frequently misread or purposely take things out of context just so he can have a bloody rant! the ranting seems most important to him.

Mike Blur 6 years, 1 month ago

glockowner, you remind me of that DEA agent that shot himself in the foot with a Glock .40. (Look it up on youtube, "DEA agent shoots himself.") If you are that incapable and unsteady handling a personal firearm, you should do society a favor and disarm yourself immediately.Also holsters were not mentioned, and believe me on this. Topeka thugs do not use holsters.

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

And to all the CCH posters. Do you really think any of these people are legally carrying these guns???? You can't be that stupid!!! These people aren't concerned with "the law". They are thugs plain and simple. If they were legally carrying, this story wouldn't be such a guessing game as to who did what, when, and where. A legal carrying person would have stood up and reported facts (even if it was a mistake). Ok, maybe that is a bit much, as no one really wants to admit a mistake, but the people going to Last Call, Club Axis, or some of the other fine establishments are not legally carrying - I would bet money on that.

JKBagby 6 years, 1 month ago

I was at a Liquor store in Texas that gave a discount every Tuesday to people with CCH permits. My buddy ran out and got his CCH. HA HA. I don't ever want to carry a firearm (again) but so many people I know do and I cannot hate them for that. Reminds me of the Sunny episode about "Freedom". I love an anything goes America, but then someone always has to screw it up by making out with their sister.

Bookie 6 years, 1 month ago

Your clue is in the first sentence of the story: Topeka

timetospeakup 6 years, 1 month ago

gl0ck0wn3r - I don't spend money where I can't carry. It's not worth the hassle to me. I have called some businesses to share this sentiment and the no guns signs have come down. If not, they don't want my business that badly. To me, a little inconvience in where I shop is easier to deal with than the extra handling of a live firearm, in a cramped car, that is required to disarm.

Fatty_McButterpants 6 years, 1 month ago

FYI - the police are not going to release all of the details; that would be stupid. So keep on speculating...

gl0ck0wn3r 6 years, 1 month ago

"Mike Blur (Mike Blur) says: glockowner, you remind me of that DEA agent that shot himself in the foot with a Glock .40. (Look it up on youtube, "DEA agent shoots himself.") If you are that incapable and unsteady handling a personal firearm, you should do society a favor and disarm yourself immediately."Seriously, is this the best you can do? I am neither incapable nor unsteady. I am pretty certain that I have far more training and practice than you. I am simply saying that statistically a firearm is safer inside a holster. If you'd like to argue against that, feel free to make yourself look more stupid.

jackpot 6 years, 1 month ago

How about the shot came from the right hand side of the back seat to the left hand side of the front seat? That will give you an angle to hit the side and end up at the abdomen.

gl0ck0wn3r 6 years, 1 month ago

Mike Blur (Mike Blur) says: Glocks are a substandard personal firearm that only stupid knuckleheads such as yourself ascribe to."hahaha wait... hahaha. Really? No... really? And you base your informed opinion on what? I have a few others: a Kimber, an H&K, a few Berettas... you get the point. I actually carry the Kimber. See if you can guess why. As for my relative firearm experience... your 21 years of service is really rather meaningless as a measurement of skill given that some in the service qualify once a year and never carry unless deployed. Your kneejerk reaction to my username confirms my suspicion about your experience."RedwoodCoast (Anonymous) says:Yeah, I wasn't that impressed with gl0ck0wn3r's first comment. It begins with a scenario, that being an if-then statement. But we do not know if the guy actually did have a CCH."Exactly. Read my post. I said "what would be interesting" as in, "I am curious to see if this hypothetical is possibly true" rather than"timetospeakup (Anonymous) says:gl0ck0wn3r - I don't spend money where I can't carry. It's not worth the hassle to me. I have called some businesses to share this sentiment and the no guns signs have come down. If not, they don't want my business that badly."Generally speaking I do not either. However, there are some locations that are obviously unavoidable. But in general, I agree - I go to where my dollars are wanted. OMG people, there might be guns in La Prima Tazza!!!

beatrice 6 years, 1 month ago

OMG Keith, you mean actually leave the house without being armed! What kind of maniac are you? It is important to always be armed when outside the home because, well, um, ... something bad could happen!

Calliope877 6 years, 1 month ago

Wow, that sucks! And I thought I was having a rough weekend...

compmd 6 years, 1 month ago

somebodynew,Ah, gotcha. Now I see what you mean.

redmoonrising 6 years, 1 month ago

Color my naive but I still can't figure out why I need a gun to go into a Qwik shop, or a grocery store, or Walmart. First of all I have a lot of you there with yours to protect me. Now why doesn't that make me feel better? Secondly, if someone pulls a gun and starts shooting in a store, do I have time to pull mine and join in? Do I aim at a specific target or just start shooting? Thirdly, why do I need one in the first place other than to defend myself against the people carrying. It's tragic this wave of shootings we're having in grocery stores, pharmacies, department stores, my parents house, etc. What am I thinking, going in there unarmed? In a restaurant, how could I shoot the waiter who brought me bad food that he didn't even cook or the person at the next table who's being annoying? And you know kids these days, maybe I should carry to protect myself from my grandkids when they visit. Heck, I would always have a toy for them to play with so they could learn the importance of defending themselves against granny. Seriously, anyone who would not go into a store because they can't take a gun in has me wondering.

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

Oh, and compmd, thanks. I thought it was just a matter of not explaining myself correctly the first time.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 1 month ago

Just when I thought smitty couldn't prove her/himself to be anymore of an idiot, (s)he surprises me.

newsomebody 6 years, 1 month ago

Axis isn't owned or opperated by the same people as the Moon Bar. So q_ball, since Jet Lag had a stabbing there earlier this year, and the Hawk had one a block from it last year, and Brothers and Granada had gun happenings a year or two before than, should we go run and shut them down. I watched a girl get her face cut open with a broken beer bottle at Abe and Jakes in fall 06' durning a fight that was started by college students. Should we just close all these places down? I don't think so. S*** happens when liquor is involved. Exspecially in a college town.

50YearResident 6 years, 1 month ago

Could this have have been a KWik Shop robbery gone bad? When the guy in the back seat was loading his gun before entering the store he had an accidental discharge? Then the robbery was called off?