Archive for Saturday, November 1, 2008

Good people

November 1, 2008

To the editor:

In regard to your article "Police investigating deaths of two men found near Amtrak station," I am compelled to let y'all know that, having recently met these "homeless" kids and having visited their campsite, I can attest to their strength of character.

These kids were amazing! I am absolutely appalled by the online banter in response to these deaths. Calling these kids "homeless campers" is a complete misnomer. They lived free, by choice.

I arrived in Lawrence (via Greyhound) just a few weeks ago, penniless and wearing pajamas. I had been on a bicycle tour that had started in New York with San Francisco as my destination. Lawrence had been highly recommended as a place to stop en route. So, I decided to shoot through St. Louis (bad idea) to pick up the Katy Trail. I ended up receiving the beating of my life that left me without my tour bike, money, clothing, I.D., etc.

That 18-year-old kid was the first person I ran into in Lawrence. Lucky me. He offered me his assistance, friendship and a place to "hole-up" for the night. I accepted.

The community of folks livin' down there by the river is a beautiful thing. Good people. Kind souls.

Whoever you anonymous online people are, you should be ashamed of yourselves for bad-mouthin' these folks. I have yet to meet an 18-year-old as smart and principled as Dali. He was a beautiful being, and may he rest in peace.

Rex Mundi,
Lawrence

Comments

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

Bear most everything "ticks you off". However, on this one I do agree with you.

seriouscat 6 years, 1 month ago

The thing that a lot of the folks who are defending the guys who died are missing is the fact that when a person chooses to do hard drugs as a 'lifestyle choice' then eventually one of two thing will happen.They will overdose, hurting their families and friends and often bolstering prejudices against legitimate homelessness as Bear noted above, or they will turn into unhealthy, unsavory scumbags who hurt their families and friends and bolster prejudices against legitimate homelessness as Bear noted above. Often somewhere along the way they bring children into the world who they are incapable of caring for properly. I have had many acquaintances who chose that lifestyle, often rationalizing it as 'rebellion against society' or being 'free-thinkers'. Excess is not rebellion. Please stop romanticizing the choices these guys made which lead to them dying in a shanty-town.

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

Well, vicki, I think in a matter of semantics, "Rex" can't "speak for himself" since he is using a made up name in a letter. We all know people do that all the time on line, but to send a letter and expect that not to be found out is unrealistic. BTW, how is the cartoon and movie life???

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

Glad you enjoyed your stay in good-ol Lawrence, KS. Next time you stop, check out the Arts, Golfcourse, and bus system.... taxpayers pay for those things too. This message brought to you by: Taxed out and going camping

victoria_noire 6 years, 1 month ago

Actually, according to the National Homeless Coalition, Lawrence is the second meanest city in the country when it comes to the way we treat our homeless. I tried to locate any information stating that we are a mecha to the homeless, but was unable.Source: http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=3337Rex is also the name he uses in real life. I'm not Rex's girlfriend, and even if I was, how would I know what it feels like to bike here from New York in my pj's? That wasn't what his letter said he did anyway.

50YearResident 6 years, 1 month ago

" arrived in Lawrence (via Greyhound) just a few weeks ago, penniless and wearing pajamas. I had been on a bicycle tour that had started in New York with San Francisco as my destination.( Lawrence had been highly recommended as a place to stop en route. )It seems like the news of Lawrence being a "highly recommend" travel destination has spread all the way to New York.

victoria_noire 6 years, 1 month ago

Rex isn't homeless, and he didn't type his letter from a library. He is a licensed and insured carpenter, who has been working on houses since his arrival in town. He also volunteered his services to the Social Service League, and did maintenance at their location.Imagine that, a working and not homeless person sees these two deceased young people as worthy and beautiful.By the way, accidental overdose is the second leading cause of death in America, and quickly rising. It isn't limited to homeless people and their encampments. Source: http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=60716&cat=10

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

Hey Rex: Are you sure you didn't lose your bike in Lawrence?? Your Camp Park had several they were throwing away..

victoria_noire 6 years, 1 month ago

I have no intention of addressing your questions, nor did I say I was intending to address them. Rex can speak for himself, and if he decides to enlighten you by answering your questions, that's his decision.As for me, honestly, I don't care if you choke on your questions. I'm not speaking for Rex, I'm speaking about him.

Ragingbear 6 years, 1 month ago

This letter ticks me off. Formerly homeless myself, these are the type of scum I had to deal with on a daily basis. Those who "choose to be free" are actually those "too lazy to do anything but go to LINK and do drugs". I've seen it plenty of times. Meanwhile, those who are homeless because life is tough remain hidden. Families with children stay hidden from sight, as they fear that SRS will come take their children. They don't do drugs, and they don't drink while they were on the street. Next time you decide to vouch for somebody's "strength of character" I would advise you to pick a better role model than the lowest rank of the lowest ranks of society.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 1 month ago

Wonder how one looker sees "scum" where another sees "beauty"...?Must be in the looking.

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

Some questions for "Rex Mundi":Was this an organized event or just a lone adventure on your part?? If organized, where was the rest of the group ???And where did you get your beat down?? Wouldn't have been near some "homeless camp" would it??And how is it "live free", if the rest of us TAXPAYERS are supporting these people???? Might be free for them, certainly not for us, who pay for the social services these "free living" people use up.Bear makes an excellant point. For each one of these cases, it detracts from the truely temporarily homeless who are trying not to be and are trying to get out of that life.

Ogden_michelle 6 years, 1 month ago

hey hawk are you a christian? if so start acting like it. if not than don't talk about jesus like your high and mighty to. as far as i am concern by your negative attitude toward anything that you say isn't going to get you anywhere. have a heart and quit being selfish it not just about you.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 1 month ago

"The community of folks livin' down there by the river is a beautiful thing."No it isn't. Homeless people doing drugs on public property is not beautiful. If they want to go camping, they should do it in a place that is designated for such activity.

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

And Vicki - that does not answer any of the questions asked by myself or Informed. Can "Rex" not come on here again himself, or does he need someone to try to answer for him????

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

Well Ms Vicki, that leads me to another question. Just why does "Rex" use a made up name in real life?? Afraid of being arrested if someone finds out his real name????? Seems to be one of the reasons I can think of, hiding from someone or something. Maybe in that sense it really is "free living" for him.

victoria_noire 6 years, 1 month ago

Maybe Rex should be more like you two, hawk and somebody. Let's do nothing to help the Lawrence community, then get on the internet and write about how we want change! Then, let's put down everyone who does try to help. That's the way to make this a better city for sure.If you two would like to make appointments to come to my house, we can arrange that Rex be here to answer your questions. Somehow I don't think you really want the answers to your questions, because they will make you look like the re-re's you are.

victoria_noire 6 years, 1 month ago

Informed, you can stop by too if you want and write that article about Rex.

Zype 6 years, 1 month ago

Informed: Is a bus the only way to get to Lawrence?There's something people do called hitchhiking, and guess what. You can actually travel fairly good distances doing it."Maybe they have it right, the 'living free.' Obviously they're not employed up to 16 hours a day for minimum wage. They're not paying taxes on income or property. They're not worried about this life or the next.Wish I could have what they're having.'Nothing to kill or die for' - John Lennon"I'm starting to think they might.

somebodynew 6 years, 1 month ago

OK, I know I won't win this, but - - Vicki- I might acutally stop by and chat (not afraid of that), but will I talk to "Rex" or who he really is???? Windlass - I pay for those services because of two reasons. I do donate to the United Way (paycheck deduction and not the minimum), and also because my tax dollars go to the organizations that provide food and services to all those people who want to "live free". Like I said free for them not for the rest of us.

Meatwad 6 years, 1 month ago

I knew this was a fake letter when I read it. You'd think the filter would be a little better than that.