Archive for Friday, May 30, 2008

Chickens and the city

Health officials concerned fowls will spread disease

Helen Gent, 16, corrals a chicken in her backyard Thursday in central Lawrence. Some public health officials are urging city commissioners to ban chickens in the city because of concerns that the fowl's filthy nature could spread disease.

May 30, 2008

Chicken owners outraged at possible ban

A foul may be called on some Lawrence pet owners as the city looks into banning their feathered friends from the city limits. 6News reporter Jesse Fray learned it's a move that has some chicken owners in an outrage. Enlarge video

Reader poll
Should Lawrence residents be allowed to keep live chickens on their property?

or See the results without voting

-->
-->

Call it a dirty little secret: If you want to raise a few chickens in your backyard, chances are Lawrence city leaders aren't going to stop you.

For public health officials, it may be a tad too dirty for their tastes.

Both the state epidemiologist and the Lawrence Humane Society director have expressed concerns that allowing chickens and their waste in the city limits could promote the spread of disease.

"It actually is pretty easy for little kids to get diseases from chickens, if children do what children do," said Gail Hansen, the state epidemiologist with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

That might mean putting their hands in their eyes or mouth after petting or handling a chicken, which are known for having poor hygiene habits.

"The thing with chickens is that they don't care where they eliminate," Hansen said. "Cats tend to go in one place. Dogs tend to go in one place. They generally don't eliminate where they sleep. Chickens aren't that fussy."

City Hall leaders may become a bit fussier on the subject.

Based on the health concerns, city staff members have drafted an ordinance that clearly would make it illegal to have chickens in the city limits - unless you're living on at least 5 acres and meet some other guidelines. It also would give animal control officers the ability to issue tickets to chicken owners. The city's existing zoning code does make it illegal to have chickens in most areas of town. But the city's animal control ordinance - the law that gives animal control officers the ability to write tickets - doesn't prohibit chickens.

Commissioners have not set a date to consider the ordinance, but Mayor Mike Dever said he thinks it is an issue the city should consider.

When the day does come, it likely will create a debate. Chicken owners in the city don't think the idea is much to crow about.

"I would definitely rally the support of people who have chickens and who support this sort of freedom," said Bob Gent, a Lawrence artist who keeps two chickens in the back yard of his Barker Avenue home.

There's no good way to know how many chickens are kept inside the city limits, but Gent said he has several friends who keep them at their Lawrence homes. Dever said he also occasionally hears from people who mention being awakened by a neighboring rooster. That's another reason the city ought to address the issue, Dever said.

"It is an interesting situation when you have animals that are bred to wake up at the crack of dawn," Dever said. "I'm not sure everyone feels the same way."

But Gent, whose two chickens produce about two eggs per day, said the benefits of having chickens outweigh any health risks, which he thinks are slight.

"For me, this is kind of a symbolic gesture," said Gent, who has had the chickens for about a year. "It is a recognition of the cycle of life around us. I think society would be better off if we were more connected with where our food came from."

Hansen, the state epidemiologist, said chickens are prone to carry the Salmonella and Campylobacter viruses. Both can make people ill to the point of hospitalization for diarrhea, fever and nausea.

Comments

average 7 years, 2 months ago

Urban chicken owners almost never have roosters. If you get a misidentified chick, once he starts squawking, he's Sunday dinner.

Adrienne Sanders 7 years, 2 months ago

This is so nonsensical i can hardly form a sentence. Make sure to ban wild birds while you're at it, they poo all over the place. Maybe put a limit on the number of chickens someone can own w/in city limits... but otherwise, this is the exact kind of thing the city commission needs to encourage if they want a more ecologically and economically sound future for the city. Having a cheap and easy food source (eggs) and free fertilizer for your garden is the exact RIGHT thing to do when gas and food prices are rising.

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 2 months ago

theloniousit's only a matter of time before what happens?

sailor 7 years, 2 months ago

As long as the owner has a coop and a muzzle on the rooster, I have no problem with it.

igby 7 years, 2 months ago

I like chic's but don't eat'em anymore. Nasty chic fat and the smell of frying chic just makes me gag. Eggs are good though. I don't mind the early cock's crow around 4:30 a.m., reminds me of the country. No ones can hear them now anyway with these modern air conditioners roaring next door.Got to watch out for them spurs their meaner than a pit bull bite.I prefer Games and Bantans, but once I had six of the Japanese silkies with purple heads and they layed little green eggs.

John Spencer 7 years, 2 months ago

Any of this getting through that little old blue bonnet of yours Boy, you cover about as much as a flapper's skirt in a high wind Course you know this means war Fortunately I always carry a spare set of feathers Gal reminds me of the highway between Forth Worth and Dallas - no curves Go, I say go away boy, you bother me I say that dog is lower than a snake full of buckshot Looks like the boy genius is tryin' to show me up Nice boy but he's got more nerve than a bum tooth Nice girl, but about as sharp as a sack of wet mice Now cut that out boy, or I'll spank you where the feathers are thinnest Now let me know when I come to something that interests you Now looka I say looka here Now that's no way for a kid to be wastin his time, readin' that long-haired gobbledeguk Oh, that woman, got a mouth like an outboard motor Pay attention to me boy! I'm not just talkin' to hear my head roar Put that egghead book down boy Scared - who me - course I'm not squared Smart boy, got a mind like a steel trap - full of mice That boy's as strong as an ox, and just about as smart That dog's as subtle as a hand grenade in a barrrel of oat meal This boy's more mixed up than a feather in a whirlwind What in the name of Jesse James do you suppose that is What in the world's that hen up to now What's all the whoopin' and hollerin about, boy What's the big idea bashing me on the noggin with a rolling pin Who's responsible for this unwarranted attack on my person You just know I'm gonna do something about this You know, there just might be a market for bottled duck You'd like that, wouldn't you boy.

igby 7 years, 2 months ago

KEITHMILES05 7 years, 2 months ago

Only in Lawrence would they allow chickens to be raised. For a community who prides itself on being educated this is so disgusting to read there are actual people who have chickens in their yards.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

BTW, the cyber**ing website cool is plugging is part of a certain odious local 'forum' where you can see stellar examples of juvenile personal attacks. If that's what you're all about, I'd recommend going through proxify dot com if you want to check it out.Stillhavingawonderfulspam-freeinternetlife.

Kaw Pickinton 7 years, 2 months ago

"I definitely understand and agree with people being connected to their food source," Hansen said. "But I think there are ways to do that without having them in your backyard."No tomatoes or lettuce bed either?

otto 7 years, 2 months ago

My guess is most fast food restaurants spread more disease than chickens. -KEITHMILES05 (Anonymous) says: Only in Lawrence would they allow chickens to be raised. For a community who prides itself on being educated this is so disgusting to read there are actual people who have chickens in their yardsKeith- Where do you get your food?

Eidolon 7 years, 2 months ago

And I've always dreamt of keeping a herd of pygmy goats on my city house lot to mow my lawn and produce milk.

KsTwister 7 years, 2 months ago

If you check the laws Chad you find that this may drum up more court tickets than people were aware of. Least I can vouch for some who went because of ducks in town. And while you are calling animal control to ask you had better check on this too: "Cats tend to go in one place. Dogs tend to go in one place. " You will find them rolling in it from time to time. Now if we can do something about kids playing in the shade under the trees where other birds drop their loads. A horse for cheap transportation might come in handy though.

TopJayhawk 7 years, 2 months ago

I think it's okay in Seattle because it rains all the time. That'll wash away a lot of guana.

TheOriginalCA 7 years, 2 months ago

We got each of our four children a baby duck one spring and had an absolute blast with them. We kept them in our paved dog run and cleaned and sanitized it everyday. This chore was a riot because the ducks would get to thrashing around in the clean water that we put in the wading pool.

emarkoulatos 7 years, 2 months ago

Of course chickens are dirty. Thats why we wash our hands, and the eggs. Chickens are the best pets to have. Their "elimination" makes perfect garden compost. They'll even till the garden for you if you fence it off. They give back, they recycle, and there is no need for a compost bin. We have chicken scraps, not compost. Our kids love them, handle them, and know that they'll get sick if they don't wash their hands afterwards. Chickens are much safer than toys made in China. But for some reason its legal for the toy store to carry those. And P.S., we don't have a rooster. I think our hens prefer it that way.

jaythomp11 7 years, 2 months ago

I live in an apartment on the upper west side in NYC, and my neighbor across the hall recently purchased a chicken. Little did he know, however, that he bought a rooster when he expected to get a hen (he wanted range free farm fresh eggs). Needless to say, it is quite annoying when the rooster begins to crow at 5am. Something tells me that he won't have it for long though, since he hooked up with Marcelino - the owner of our local bodega. Marcelino runs a cockfighting operation and he has convinced my neighbor to fight his rooster. At first, I was uneasy about it, but Marcelino promised to take down the check that I wrote him that was returned to him with insufficient funds (it was a clown check:.the bank sent me the wrong ones). Anyways, my neighbors rooster - Little Jerry Seinfeld - won his first fight! He was pecking, and strutting, and talking trash!

gkwhdw 7 years, 2 months ago

Got nothing better to do with your time but worry about chickens? Perhaps a monthly check up on citizens housekeeping habits and the cleanliness there, chickens may be found to be a lot cleaner in the long run, for real! Get on with more important issues!

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 2 months ago

not sure... but I don't think that there have been any cases of bird flu found in any domesticated birds in the US... and very few cases in any bird population in the US or in North America: that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be a consideration... but I think it means that, at least as of now, it should be considered a rather low risk...

bluerose 7 years, 2 months ago

i would much prefer to be awakened by a rooster than some jerk's dysfunctional car alarm. how about a city-wide ban on those? and anyway. what are kids doing in someone else's fenced backyard?

BigPrune 7 years, 2 months ago

"It is an interesting situation when you have animals that are bred to wake up at the crack of dawn,"I feel a joke coming on.Seriously,Bird's are nasty and spread diseases. Years ago I had a job that required going into peoples houses. I went to one in north Lawrence and the people had live chickens running and pooping inside their house. Nasty!

Meryl Carver 7 years, 2 months ago

Growing your own food (including eggs) is a good thing and it's a growing trend. It would be better for the city to embrace people who want to do so responsibly, rather than prohibit it. I think people who have chickens or people who want to keep chickens are probably going to attempt to do so no matter what. If you're really concerned about disease control, it seems better to allow them to do so openly (in backyards, not houses) and with some sort of complaint procedure for those who do not take proper care of their pets (cleaning up after them, keeping them enclosed, etc.). As an example, in Madison, Wisconsin, the city ordinances require:Up to 4 domestic fowl allowed per single-family dwellingNo RoostersNo SlaughteringPoultry shall be kept within a secure enclosure and not allowed to run freeEnclosures shall be located no closer than 25' from nearest neighbors residenceA $6 permit is required (per household), to be renewed annually Here's a good site with more information about keeping chickens in town, including information about the legal aspects: http://madcitychickens.com/index.html.

thelonious 7 years, 2 months ago

I haven't seen any mention of bird flu in either the article or the posts. That, to me, should be the only valid health concern, and it is a valid one. Bird flu has spread more easily in Asia in large part because of crowded conditions and people living in proximity to chickens. So yes, I think this city commission is cuckoo (pun intended) to be worried about chicken poo, but yes I also think that restricting livestock animals in residential settings is valid, but I think all of that misses what should be the overriding concern - controlling the potential spread of bird flu. Don't think this is a serious matter - go to this CDC link to learn more. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/At least this city commission now has cemented its identity for history - I submit that they shall forever be remembered in Lawrence as the "chicken commssion".

trinity 7 years, 2 months ago

unreal. ban chickens! ban balloons! ban elephants and circus animals! the list goes on&on.whoever's post mentioned people whose homes are filthy, right on. there are some PLENTY nasty living spaces, WITH children, in lawrence and pretty much anyplace else. let them have chickens! sheesh!

Bossa_Nova 7 years, 2 months ago

i'm gonna buy a chicken and love it and hold it and squeeze it and call it george, just not in city limits.

mom_of_three 7 years, 2 months ago

I don't know anyone who is raising chickens in Lawrence, but my grandparents used to raise chickens in my hometown. They lived just inside the city limits and had close neighbors. The chickens were kept in a coop and run, though, until it was time to butcher them. Then you might see one running around with it's head cut off. (turned my cousin off of chicken for years). then they would have lots of people over to de-feather and prepare them. Home raised chickens make the best fried chicken!So I don't have a problem with it.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 2 months ago

According to the concerns chickens should not be anywhere in the county or on farms. Children are everywhere. Commissioners have much bigger issues on the table. Some people keep chicken areas cleaned up including the the hen houses. Some owners have extensive knowledge about bird care and hygiene. Some families have chickens as 4-H projects. About the roosters crowing at the crack of dawn what is so unusual about that. What have human beings come to? What is going on here? Are those concerned about a little crowing would they be kept awake all night by the sound of a stream in the distance? Just yesterday I heard of people in Lawrence that cannot live with new areas of wildlife habitat in our parks and demanded that the areas be mowed. New areas of wildlife habitat would save tax dollars and bring new birds into the area. Lawrence,,Kansas is a small rural town folks so what does anyone expect?

introversion 7 years, 2 months ago

Mike Dever can peel my chickens from my cold dead hands!

thelonious 7 years, 2 months ago

There have been a few cases of avian flu in poultry stocks in the US and even a couple of cases of transmission to humans in the US and Canada. Small compared to Asia, yes, but it has happened, and will probably happen more. It's on the CDC site. Also, wild bird populations in North America are at risk, because of migratory patterns, etc. It will happen - only a matter of time.

sourpuss 7 years, 2 months ago

Wow, Lawrence is fortunate that this is the biggest problem facing them. We sure are lucky our roads are safe, there are no traffic problems, the sewers are in great shape, there is no crime, everyone has jobs, nobody is poor or hungry.Thank god, so we can worry about whether someone has a chicken or not.What a blessed little town we have.

tir 7 years, 2 months ago

That statement about dogs tending to "go in one place" is untrue. Dogs will "go" wherever their owners walk them--usually in other people's yards or public parks. Very few owners do the right thing and clean up after them. I step in doggy-do every single time I work in my yard.Cats--well, the ones that go outside, "go" wherever they please--a cat in my neighborhood has apparently decided that the sandy soil along the south side of my house is his/her perfect litterbox. Seems to me that the Commission is unfairly discriminating against chickens, since cats and dogs are allowed to "go" wherever and whenever they choose. Why not let people have a few birds, within reasonable limits.

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 2 months ago

from the CDC website Q&A:"We have a small flock of chickens. Is it safe to keep them? Yes. In the United States there is no need at present to remove a flock of chickens because of concerns regarding avian influenza. The U.S. Department of Agriculture monitors potential infection of poultry and poultry products by avian influenza viruses and other infectious disease agents."

Bossa_Nova 7 years, 2 months ago

jje007,you speakin the truth my man! liberty to the chickens! down with the chickenschits! give me chickens or give me death!

smerdyakov 7 years, 2 months ago

Wow... for being a supposedly smarter than average community, we can be complete idiots.Let's see:- discuss axing the T at the very moment public transportation is more crucial than ever...since the last oil crisis anyway.- while energy costs skyrocket, we not only fail to seize wind/hydro power potential, but make it virtually impossible for businesses to pursue it themselves...and should they succeed, we then prohibit them from putting power back on the grid.- just as food costs are soaring, remove people's ability to provide food for themselves by prohibiting the raising of animals that are smaller than most dogs.What's next? I wouldn't put it past some West Lawrencian to get it in their head that they don't like how some neighbors are planting gardens in their front yard. Let's make everything illegal except mown grass and non-edible plants. What's that? You have dandelions in your yard? Ticket. Dandelions make a fine salad green.The ad at the bottom of this page says "Foresight is 20/20." I have no idea what that means, but I'm pretty sure it in no way applies to Lawrence, Kansas.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 2 months ago

Who is the city protecting? Where's the problem? If you are afraid of chickens HIDE in your HOUSE, chickenschists! Chickens are birds and they are cool birds. This is about image, plain and simple. If you want to live in ticky-tacky town with lots of regulations about your roof and lawn and house color and fences and car visibility and the number of times you can have sex each week then go ahead, you officious prigs! What kind of fascist BS is this? Go arrest yourSELVES, chickenschists! Everyone is guilty! Harrassment is free for all! Power to the chickenschists!

fairylight 7 years, 2 months ago

cool (Anonymous) says: cool (Anonymous) says:chicken limit (one per legal resident - with zoning limit on rental properties etc).chicken tax ( $100 per year).chicken license & health care certificate ($25.00 per year).chicken deposit (if rental property).chicken adoption agreement (on file with peta/aspca)for proper treatment and penalties if not properly taken care of.chicken health care policy with a new state of kansas -single payer plan for chicken health care from above license fees.chicken legal defense fund license contribution ($100.00 per year per chicken for legal complaints).....................Free eggs and non lethal insect control - Priceless.

doc1 7 years, 2 months ago

For Pete's sake. They won't ban PitBulls but they will chickens. I've given up on this city.

blindrabbit 7 years, 2 months ago

Did'nt see any when I was there, but the tiny town of Chicken, Alaska was just on of the highlights of the trip. Seems like in the Klondike days, the gold crazed prospectors thought the ptarmigans reminded them of chickens back home, hence the name. Must have been lonely up there. Better sense of humor than we! Try to find it on a map!Put me in the yes column, can't be any worse than the dog crazies.

Lisia 7 years, 2 months ago

A couple years ago when I visited my friend who was working on her PhD in Albuquerque, NM, her neighbors had chickens. None of them had roosters. I wouldn't have even noticed if she hadn't introduced me to them and they were showing off their yards and gardens. The coops were clean and the birds were healthy. I can totally see where a rooster might annoy someone. As others have mentioned, barking dogs and car alarms are also annoying. As are screeching tires when some idiot doesn't realize there is a stop sign.I think people should be allowed to keep their chickens- a limited number, and in an enclosure, not running around the neighborhood. Heck, I'd get a couple to make fertilizer for my gardens.

georgeofwesternkansas 7 years, 2 months ago

I guess you can take the hillbilly out of the country, but you cant take the country out of the hillbilly. Does Lawrence have a law to keep you from fishin in the cement pond?? Where is the bango players??

acoupstick 7 years, 2 months ago

"Chickens in a yard are an easy meal for bobcats, cyotes, foxes or whatever else wants to eat them. Are you prepaird to deal with these predators and the problems they bring??"Those critters are already urbanized but are rarely seen. Keep your ankle-biter dogs fenced during the day and indoors at night!

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 2 months ago

theloniousthank you for the clarification...and I believe that... about an increased infection of wild birds... it's likely inevitable...but there are ways of controlling infection for domestic birds... and most websites that instruct about keeping chickens point out that one should consider covering the entire area where chickens are kept with chicken wire in order to keep out wild birds that carry diseases... avian flu and many others...in this sense it would seem that it could be easier for someone keeping a few chickens in their backyard to keep wild birds away than it would for a farmer who has dozens: or maybe even hundreds that roam around in open areas:

introversion 7 years, 2 months ago

This is a blatant lack of education. Not fancy book lernin', but just not educating oneself before trying to make moves to "help."Just remember:When chickens are outlawed, only outlaws will have chickens.

shorttrees 7 years, 2 months ago

I would much rather have a rooster crowing at dawn than the neighboring dogs that bark all night! Especially the ones pooping in my yard under the bedroom window and announcing it to the world at 3 am.

thelonious 7 years, 2 months ago

stuckinthe middle - Q - it's only a matter of time before what happens?A - it's only a matter of time before wild bird populations in North America become infected with avian flu, if they haven't already. That then becomes the vector by which commercial poultry and "backyard chickens" would get infected, and then the risk becomes transmission to humans.Folks, I am not saying that this will happen next month or next year, but it almost certainly will happen, and it will require changes, like banning close contact between poultry and humans whenever possible. Granted, the city commissions' concern about "chicken cleanliness" is silly, but bird flu is not to be taken lightly. Search the CDC site - I am not suggesting that there is impending doom, but it is something that scientists are taking very seriously.I still believe in science, at least, although I know it is fashionable with the current administration in Wash DC to throw science overboard if it does not mesh with their "beliefs".

Paul Decelles 7 years, 2 months ago

Thelonius,The issue with "Bird flu" is not bird to bird transmission, bu whether or not the virus will evolve efficient human to human transmission. The presence of chickens in Lawrence is not going to be a significant risk factor, I suspect. This is because when the virus evolves efficient human to human transmission-humans will become the main risk not a few chickens.By the way, the virus can apparently be transmitted by other species-see for example:http://www.who.int/csr/don/2006_02_28a/en/index.html

tarazod_films 7 years, 2 months ago

It sounds like the Lawrence health officials might be a little out of touch with the rest of the country. NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Austin, and Madison are just a few of the many US cities that now allow backyard chickens. We just completed two and a half years of filming a feature-length documentary entitled Mad City Chickens which is now being submitted to major film festivals. We interviewed chicken experts and urban poultry keepers from coast-to-coast. One expert is Cheryl Long, editor-in Chief of Mother Earth News in Topeka. Another was Dr. Michael Greger, the Director of Public Health and Animal Agriculture at The Humane Society of the United States in Washington DC. Both of them state that all the evidence clearly shows that having a small backyard flock out in the sun and wind is the safest way to keep chickens, and they fully support the idea. Chickens are one of the easiest ways for people to reconnect with where their food comes from, and they make wonderful pets too.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 2 months ago

Chickens do not wallow in the their poop nor do they sleep in their poop. They roost. Hens do not crow. Chickens are pets too. The undesirable health problems are most prominent with the industrial chicken farms due to the very crowded unhealthy living conditions. Is this a large number of complaints? Have the concerned parties contacted their neighbors to become acquainted with the situation. Most chicken owners I know do not own Roosters so Roosters cannot be that big of a problemSo I guess all exotic pets will need to be outlawed in the city limits.

George_Braziller 7 years, 2 months ago

Where I grew up there were chicken houses all over the town. Some still had chickens housed in them, some were used as small (duck your head) storage buildings. I guess that the hyper-germ-o-fobes of the world are too horrified about . . . . gasp! ..... exposure to the natural world. My neighbors across the alley have chickens. I didn't even know that they had them in the plural because I have never heard more than one hen.Food doesn't just magically appear on the shelves of your local supermarket.

georgeofwesternkansas 7 years, 2 months ago

If this is a joke it is damn funny... Livestock on a residential lot?? Here all this time we thought we were backward in western kansas.

georgeofwesternkansas 7 years, 2 months ago

KU_Dude 7 years, 2 months ago

cool (Anonymous) says: see Dennis Domer story at www.oreadinn.com, now over 1300 viewers.-----------------It now has 1520 views. I find it amazing what hitting the refresh button when you're inside of that topic can do in a short amount of time.

Satirical 7 years, 2 months ago

I think you figured out the solution Smerdyakov, we should raise and eat dogs. I hear they taste like chicken, but are more stringy.

terrapin2 7 years, 2 months ago

Chickens in peoples yards in the city are not going to suddenly create more of a bobcat problem any more than the ferrel cats, stray dogs, bunnies, raccoons, deer etc... already do. For someone that lives in the country "george", you are really ignorant about nature. And if we didn't have those predators you seem to be afraid of, there would be a whole host of other problems you would complain about.

mom_of_two 7 years, 2 months ago

Since the ordiance might go into effect after this family already has the pet chicken...would the chicken be Grandfathered in? lol

acoupstick 7 years, 2 months ago

"Bird's are nasty and spread diseases."The same can be said about humans. If avian influenza were to become communicable among humans it will probably happen in high density human communities that live in extremely close quarters with a high density of domestic poultry, not in your back yard that houses a couple of chickens to supply you with eggs. If (when) a virulent strain of avian influenza does become communicable among humans, a couple of chickens in your yard will be the least of your worries.

emarkoulatos 7 years, 2 months ago

Check out the Eglu Bob, you might change your mind. Its the best coop ever!http://www.omlet.us

blindrabbit 7 years, 2 months ago

Dever needs to watch Sara Snow on FitTV's Living Better with S.S.; there is a chicken raising revolution going on, and Lawrence is behind the times.

Bob_Cross 7 years, 2 months ago

A simple ban is overkill. If you want a few chickens and your neighbors don't mind, neither should the city. And the Egg Cart'n Chicken Tractor is the uptown way to go!http://www.eggcartn.com/photos.htm

igby 7 years, 2 months ago

Chickens running loose in the streets really give you that, "third world city", effect, like living in a small South American village.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

the google ad that came up for this story:shopping.yahoo.com ...for all your fighting game chicken needs illegal?

terrapin2 7 years, 2 months ago

There is nothing wrong with people having chickens within city limits. The people that think it is a problem or think it is only for country people, are the ones that aren't educated. The eggs are only one benefit. Having chickens in your yard virtually eliminates ticks from your yard among other disease carrying parasites. Their fertilizer is unbeatable for your garden. Children already should be washing their hands after being outside anyway due to pinworms (in the soil), roundworms, hookworms (from dogs/cats) etc... In fact, the leading cause of blindness in children is roundworms. They can also get a deadly parasite from raccoons. Now, granted, people don't keep raccoons as pets, but you can bet they are in your yard at night along with many other species of birds that poop all over. Do we have a ban on wild birds? A ban on dogs/cats that have not been checked and appropriately dewormed? I would bet that those with chickens on their property are aware of the potential health hazards. Can you say the same for your average dog owner?

Joe Hyde 7 years, 2 months ago

Test question: Why does every chicken coop have two doors?Correct Answer: Because if it had four doors it would be a chicken sedan.

cds 7 years, 2 months ago

Not everyone in this city runs around with purell soaked hands or rubber gloves 24/7 because of an obsessive-compulsive disorder/paranoia. We know how to wash our hands thank you, leave our chickens alone. 5 acres to have chickens? You have to be kidding me. Sure, ban the cocks in town, but leave the chicks alone, they are not hurting anyone.

Caterina Benalcazar 7 years, 1 month ago

You'd think that if raising chickens was enough of a good thing for Martha Stewart, it'd be good enough for just about anybody. Maybe we could get her to weigh in on this?http://blogs1.marthastewart.com/martha/2008/01/look-at-all-the.html

justthefacts 7 years, 1 month ago

I vote with the chicken keepers. Silly governmental officials - always butting into what used to be purely private matters. If people only keep chickens (not roosters who WILL wake up the neighbors) and they pen them up so they don't wander into other people's property/areas, who is being "harmed" except those who keep them? What does it matter where they are kept as long as they aren't bothering or negatively impacting anyone but their owners? Snobs who only want their neighbors to engage in pristine non-agrarian land uses should move out of Kansas entirely or buy up enough property they can control the 100 acres around them. People who "grow" their own food sources need to be encouraged, not discouraged. As food prices rise, city officials should support new food sources - not forbid them.Good grief but this is a no brainer!

BrianR 7 years, 1 month ago

Ain't nuthin' wrong with a coupla yardbirds.

profwriter 7 years, 1 month ago

Methinks Dever & Hansen are counting on a free lunch/dinner or two or two-hundred. Yep, round up them fresh fryers...er, um, dangerous disease spreadin' chickens and pesto...er, ah, pronto, get 'em over to Lawrence's animal Euthanasia Shack...um, er, Humane Society...the exec director is hungrily, ah, eagerly awaitin' to do 'em er, um, take 'em in personally! Wesson Oil & Progresso Breadcrumbs are rumored to be new items on the shelter's "wish-list" first appearing about the same time Grinstead initiated her covert chicken BBQ, um, ah, city poultry ban!

bookantics 7 years, 1 month ago

Rome was at war with Carthage and had won sea battle after sea battle and in 254 BC outfitted yet another massive fleet of 220 ships to sail against the Carthaginians. The elected Roman consul Publius Claudius Pulcher, with about 123 ships under his command, mounted a surprise attack on the main Carthaginian naval base at Drepana, which turned into Rome's only serious sea defeat. He lost almost all the fleet and only 30 Roman ships, including Pulcher's flagship, managed to escape. Soon afterwards Claudius Pulcher was put on trial in Rome for treason, the only Roman commander in the war to suffer such an embarrassment. Not only had he lost a fleet by employing unsound tactics, he had done so by angering the gods. Pulcher had drowned the sacred chickens carried in the flagship who could predict the outcome of the battle by the way that they ate. When, before the battle, the chickens proved uninterested in eating at all, he is supposed to have thrown them all into the sea, proclaiming 'then let them drink'. The gods' anger became even clearer within a few days when the other half of the Roman fleet was lost in a gale. 'Fighting Techniques of the Ancient World' Anglim et al.

twinetowngirl 7 years, 1 month ago

What this all boils down to is the freedoms that we all enjoy are slowly being taken away from us. No matter how small and insignificant it may seem to others. Start small, no chickens, work your way up to microchips keeping track of where you go, what you buy, hell pretty soon big brother will know exactly how many times you go to the bathroom everyday. Ever heard the story of the frog in the pot of water...he doesnt get out cause the water slowly gets hot...we get used to the "heat" getting turned up and don't realize that pretty soon our goose is cooked. Or in this case chicken. Some people better wake up before it's too late and fight for your rights and freedoms, or soon you will have none!

bookantics 7 years, 1 month ago

And remember, this is the city commission that voted to have a second Walwart in our once unique town, which I believe will essentially sink the ships of many local small businessmen and women who had managed to stay afloat through the continued onslaught of the big box stores and the first Walwart. And it is this commission that wants to put a strangler's noose bypass around the city's neck close and tight instead of where it belongs- out past the Wakarusa River. Don't you think it is time for this city commission (with the exception of Highberger) to be voted out for treason to our city. Leave politics to those with the people in mind, not real estate developers.