Archive for Friday, May 23, 2008

Kindergarten teacher surprised with $100 award

Co-workers and students congratulate Kim Gamble, left, a kindergarten teacher at New York School, after she received the Barbara Hodgson Dream to Achieve Award Thursday at the school. The award and fund were created in honor of a former New York School teacher. The award recognizes a teacher who provides a positive learning and caring environment for students.

May 23, 2008

Teacher honored with Dream to Achieve award

Today is the last day of school for most Lawrence students, and one teacher is going out on an award-winning note. Enlarge video

One Lawrence elementary teacher ended the school year on an award-winning note.

Kim Gamble, a kindergarten teacher at New York School, is the first recipient of the Barbara Hodgson Dream to Achieve award.

Gamble, an 11-year teaching veteran, had no idea the award of $100 was coming her way Thursday.

"I'm flabbergasted," she said. "I guess I want to know who did it and how I came to be the recipient because we have a lot of really great teachers here."

The award honors Barbara Hodgson, a former New York School teacher turned Realtor. John McGrew, a former real estate executive, donated $5,000 to the Lawrence Schools Foundation to establish the award fund in Hodgson's honor.

Only New York School teachers will be eligible for the annual award that looks to honor educators who give students a positive learning environment and work well with each student.

Before announcing Gamble as the winner, New York School Principal Nancy DeGarmo talked about Gamble's work as a teacher, and DeGarmo was overcome with emotion.

Gamble said she was surprised at DeGarmo's reaction.

"I thought, 'Who is it? Because she must really like them!'" said Gamble. "That's not like her."

A plaque is being planned for the school to honor Gamble and all future award recipients.

Comments

julienstockwell 5 years, 11 months ago

$100? I hope she doesn't spend it all in one place...

sherbert 5 years, 11 months ago

It sounds very nice to me, obviously to be honored unexpectedly for making a meaningful impact on your students is priceless. The money is just an added bonus. She can go to dinner and celebrate!

BigPrune 5 years, 11 months ago

They should've offered a free tank of gasoline instead.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 11 months ago

Q: What's the difference between a large pizza and a schoolteacher?A: A large pizza can feed an entire family.

Agnostick 5 years, 11 months ago

You know, when you think about it... with the right medically-approved "hardware", collection containers, and vehicle/engine modifications... one ought to be able to chow down a couple of burritos and provide enough "energy" to drive to work the next morning! :p

acoupstick 5 years, 11 months ago

"and have just enough leftover for a microwave bean burrito"Careful, those can be hell the next day!

Agnostick 5 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, acoupstick... if she drives a Prius!I'm stuck with a big pickup right now, and I can sadly attest that I'd only get one fillup for $100... and have just enough leftover for a microwave bean burrito!

acoupstick 5 years, 11 months ago

Great! She can fill up her gas tank twice now!

Agnostick 5 years, 11 months ago

Randolph Duke: Ezra. Right on time. I'll bet you thought I'd forgotten your Christmas bonus. There you are.Ezra: Five dollars. Maybe I'll go to the movies... by myself.Mortimer Duke: Half of it is from me.Ezra: Thank you, Mr. Mortimer.[mouthing silently]Ezra: motherf****r...

coolmom 5 years, 11 months ago

it is not the 100 dollars, it is the recognition of a job well done. i just did a teacher award cermenony where the teachers got cards handwritten by the kids and flowers and 90% were in tears.

salad 5 years, 11 months ago

No, both statements are correct. I mean whoopee!!! $100, I wonder how far I can stretch that at the re-sale store?There's also the BS expectation from adminstrators and the public that she'll turn around and spend it on her classroom. We ALL care about money...having enough money that is. Most teachers, like well over 90% have a second income at home (spouse). Good luck finding a mom who stays at home with the kids while the dad goes to work as a teacher with no second (or third or fourth) job. I bet there's not one in all of Lawrence. You literally cannot support a family on what a teacher makes; there has to be a second income.$100 is just walkin' around money for administrators...let's not forget that.

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 11 months ago

I think that's a common (and occasionally accurate) but mostly inaccurate statement, OldEnuf. I think most teachers don't really care about the money. But when layer upon layer of bureaucratic BS is continually foisted upon them, and their dream of educating slowly morphs into something they no longer recognize, then many choose to leave the profession. But I do agree with your sentiment that $100 seems small. Shoulda been $250 or so. Regardless, congrats!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 11 months ago

I guess if they gave a "real" amount we'd be breaking our time-honored tradition of keeping our teachers in the poor house."The award honors Barbara Hodgson, a former New York School teacher turned Realtor."My guess is that Hodgson would have referred to stay in teaching, but couldn't afford it.