Archive for Sunday, May 18, 2008

Jayhawk’s brother arrested

Former USC star charged with battery near Lawrence bar

May 18, 2008

Lodrick Schron Stewart, 24, was arrested and charged with battery following an incident early Saturday morning, police said.

The incident occurred shortly after 2 a.m. outside It's Brothers, 1105 Mass.

Stewart, a former Southern California basketball player, is the twin brother of Kansas University men's basketball player Rodrick Stewart, who is graduating today.

Lodrick Stewart allegedly struck Michael Ricklefs, 23, a Lawrence resident and KU student, in the face after a verbal altercation, Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl said. Ricklefs fell and hit his head on the concrete. He was flown to KU Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., where he was in good condition Saturday morning, according to Hadl.

Lodrick Stewart was booked at the Douglas County Jail and later released on $100 bond.

Comments

doc1 6 years, 7 months ago

"numerous people" sorry for the typo

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 7 months ago

Due to HIPPA regulations, the LJW isn't going to get the injuries 100% accurate. Usually, the hospital won't even confirm a patient is there. The condition report may have come from a family member. A "good" condition covers a broad range. Depending on how hard he hit his head, if there is any concusion, bruising or bleeding, and any oher injuries, he may recover quickly and without any long-lasting problems. Which sound like if he is in good condition will be the case. I hope he recovers well and learns from this experience.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 7 months ago

Close Brothers!!This place has been the sight of a shooting and other un-savory deeds since it opened and now...now...this!!They stand out in public,obviously intoxicated and pee in the alley!!Move it out to the Tangier mall.

Eride 6 years, 7 months ago

1. You apparently don't understand the concept of a bond.2. From the sound of the article I sincerely doubt that Mike was an innocent bystander punched in the face, sounds like he is just as culpable...If you don't want to get struck in the face don't get into a drunken fight.

BalkansHawk 6 years, 7 months ago

Speaking of violence back home, any word on the shooting over by Sixth and Kasold recently? Did they ever say where this person was shot, possible motive, any suspects, etc? The only means of information I have with Lawrence is what I read online and what I hear from my family. This story seems to have gone stale.

madman 6 years, 7 months ago

I visited Mike in the hospital yesterday and his conditions most of the day (Saturday) where far from good. $100 bond for getting someone life flighted? Nice

BalkansHawk 6 years, 7 months ago

Reminds me of a Johnny Cash song (Boy Named Sue):Well, he must o' thought that is was quite a joke And it got a lot of laughs from a' lots of folk, It seems I had to fight my whole life through. Some gal would giggle and I'd get red And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head, I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named 'Sue.'

doc1 6 years, 7 months ago

Mike was no victim in this incident. I didn't see it but just leaving brothers I heard what everyone else was saying. What the newspaper doesn't say and what only the witnesses could testify to was that he approached numerouse poeple yelling and challenging numerous people to fight for no apparent reason. He was so dumb that he went up to a 6'4" Stewart and called him out to fight. Stewart ended the problem with one hit. I'd like to see the police report because everyone there was talking to the cops saying that Mike was the only one causing problems.

ckrandle53 6 years, 7 months ago

I also would like to know if there has ever been an arrest made in the hit and run accident that killed Tom Crum. It seems that this story also seems to have gone stale.

pimp11 6 years, 7 months ago

someone at Brothers trying to start a fight? No waySo since this guy was "calling people out" to fight; its ok for someone to clean his clock? Sounds like the right thing to do for a meat head. If Stewart wasnt arrested was everyone at Brother's going to carry Stewart on their shoulders down Mass St. in celebration that "he took care of the problem"

1wetwilly 6 years, 7 months ago

He's just another street thug like the majority of college basketball players...basketball simply keeps him out of prison.

Eric Neuteboom 6 years, 7 months ago

Speaking of stories that went stale, where's our update on the $6,400 bill from KU, LJW? Or is the resolution not salacious enough for you? Interesting how the LJW can cause such a furor over a bill, but will not ever follow up on it...Sorry for the threadjack!

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 7 months ago

Hey, I heard Hoch Auditorium burned down. But do you see the Journal World following up on that? Go back to J-school! What a joke.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 7 months ago

How about the parrot that disappeared, that story went stale too.

madman 6 years, 7 months ago

Eride, I didn't say he was innocent but, being a close member to the family I know this article is not 100% accurate in regards to his injuries and or what happened.

pimp11 6 years, 7 months ago

This just in: Arthurs grade might have been tampered with in high school. For further updates please go to www.kcstar.com We will no longer publish information on this matter

Lauren02 6 years, 7 months ago

Okay first of all the fight was not in front of Brothers. It was in front of Fatso's - get the facts straight. I used to work at Brothers and it is not full of thugs. There is a dress code and numerous bouncers and the fightings have drastically decreased. Also, the shooting a few years ago... that guy came from Last Call and had nothing to do with Brothers besides the fact that he just-so-happened to shoot someone across the street from it. Brothers does not need to be shut down!Second, that kid called Stewart a n***er so I believe he deserved everything he got!! Stewart is NOT a thug!