Archive for Saturday, May 17, 2008

Five Guys Burgers set for 31st and Iowa

May 17, 2008

Five Guys Burger and Fries, a Virginia-based chain, plans to open a store at 2000 W. 31st St., sharing a building with existing tenants D3 Sports and UPS Store and adjacent to On the Border near Home Depot and Best Buy.

The restaurant will be the chain's 292nd. Owners of the franchise for the Lawrence area are Dustin and Kathy Walker, and Mike and Holly Richey.

Signs already are up and gaining attention, said Kelly Kriegh, who will be general manager. He plans to hire 36 to 40 employees for the place that will be open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.

Five Guys, founded in 1986, offers cooked-to-order burgers, kosher hot dogs, grilled cheese sandwiches and other fare, plus buckets of peanuts for people to nibble on while they wait.

"It's an open kitchen," Kriegh said. "Everything's grilled, well done."

The store is expected to open by the end of June, Kriegh said.

For more information, visit www.fiveguys.com.

Comments

Dixie Jones 7 years, 1 month ago

so agree with you both st james and caton.....what are they going to do with old food for less?

Sigmund 7 years, 1 month ago

caton1982 (Anonymous) says: "We need to stop building banks and food joints and put something in Lawrence for the younger crowd to hang out. I remember the skateing rank, putt putt, arcade, ect: where are kids in Lawrence really suppose to do. Lawrence needs to think about ALL the people who live here.""We" didn't put in a new burger joint, four individuals are risking their money hoping to make a living after paying off their expenses, wages, and taxes. On the other hand "you" should feel free to risk "your" life savings and put in a "skateing rank," whatever that is.

skybound 7 years, 1 month ago

I just returned from New York last night and the last place we decided to eat before hitting the airport was 5 Guys. WHY? Because the food is delicious. Lawrence needs a really good burger spot, so try it before you complain.

Sigmund 7 years, 1 month ago

"It's an open kitchen," Kriegh said. "Everything's grilled, well done."That is a little like saying, "You get to watch us while we overcook your burger into a dry charcoal bricket." I hope this was misquoted and will give it a try ordering my burger "medium" or shockingly even "medium rare."

Tara Painter 7 years, 1 month ago

We need to stop building banks and food joints and put something in Lawrence for the younger crowd to hang out. I remember the skateing rank, putt putt, arcade, ect... where are kids in Lawrence really suppose to do. Lawrence needs to think about ALL the people who live here.

7 years, 1 month ago

I know what you mean, caton. When my family comes to visit all I can suggest is a walk up and down mass (window shopping) and a movie. It'd be nice if there was more family-friendly fare.

formerksteacher 7 years, 1 month ago

I was doubtful about this place until my husband made me eat in one in Missouri. I rarely like fastfood cheeseburgers, but this was GREAT!! You HAVE to try the fries - fresh, and they even have a sign telling you the origin of the day's potatos. I got to pick from a large menu the toppings for my burger, and it was actually flavorful. Gotta say, the place was clean and efficient. Duly impressed. I may have to eat 'fast food' a little more often!

daljayhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

You people have obviously never been to the east coast. Five Guys is the hottest burger joint from DC to Florida. It wins the best burger in every town it moves to. People, your complaints are out of ignorance. It's the best burger I've ever had, and will ever have. Try it with an open mind, and you will be amazed. They don't even have a freezer in their restaraunt! Everything is fresh!

Rationalanimal 7 years, 1 month ago

The question is, what is the point we can execise the maximum tax out of them without putting them out of business?

brotherskeeper 7 years, 1 month ago

I used to work near one in D.C. Mighty tasty burgers... check the grease! Yum. Cajun fries will not disappointI can't wait.