Letters to the Editor

Radio alert

May 7, 2008

To the editor:

We have a problem. NOAA weather radios are supposed to alert us to severe weather dangers. We in Lawrence are between the Topeka and Kansas City stations, and don't get strong reception from either. In the bedroom area of my house, I can only get Kansas City. Last week, K.C. apparently "forgot" to mention watches for Douglas County. Thursday night and early Friday, alerts were posted with a 10-minute lag from Topeka, although the transfer is allegedly automatic. When the weather got bad, even that signal faded away.

The county department of emergency management urges us to use weather radios as our primary means of notification. I think for Lawrence residents this really means "You're on your own."

Adrian Melott,
Lawrence

Comments

melott 5 years, 11 months ago

Here is the link to the signal coverage map:http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/states/kansas.htmlIf you click near any transmitter, you will see a more detailed map of its coverage. Lawrence is in the green (unreliable) zone for 3 different transmitters. I get a good signal except during bad weather! It looks like a new transmitter is needed near DeSoto. It probably needs to be on a different channel, not a booster, in order to avoid interference.

its_getting_warmer 5 years, 11 months ago

Professor Melott raises an excellent point. Although I am a weather radio advocate....we are in a hole between these two transmitters.Instead of buying X new sirens next budget cycle, maybe we could help the NWS put up a local repeater/translater/transmitter to improve Douglas County coverage.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Adrian put a map link on the other thread, needs to be here too.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 11 months ago

I have had no poblems with my weather radio and I live on the southeast part of Lawrence. Since most storms come from the south-west, it make sense to use the Topeka region. Cell phone alerts are free and you can choose which city to get the alerts from.

ralphralph 5 years, 11 months ago

Try being on the border of the Topeka and Wichita areas ... storms coming from NW to SE aren't headed toward either city, so they don't exist.

KSA_21_3503 5 years, 11 months ago

"I think for Lawrence residents this really means "You're on your own.""Given Douglas County's policy and Bob Newton's interpretation of it, it appears you are exactly right. You are on your own in "civilized" (see: backwoods) Douglas County.