Archive for Sunday, May 4, 2008

Enthusiasm high but sales not at Art in the Park

Marck Kabbany and his friend Rachel Kilian inspect the mixed media artwork of Lathrop, Mo., artist Peggy Aebi in South Park. Thousands of art lovers turned out Sunday for Art in the Park, the annual spring sale featuring the work of local and regional artists.

May 4, 2008

'Art in the Park' draws a crowd

It's an art lover's dream as thousands of area residents feast their eyes on hundreds on pieces of art today. Enlarge video

After a long day displaying his artwork, all Paul Chaussee wanted was a cold beer.

But the McLouth artist, who was selling a variety of mosaic works with his wife, Deb, said Sunday's Art in the Park was the perfect way to kick off the spring art season.

"There's just a great group (of artists), a lot of talent," he said, sitting in a folding chair as people perused the stained-glass platters, windows and tables the Chaussees designed.

About 130 artists set up shop at South Park for the 47th annual affair. Some came from as far away as Minnesota and Florida, said Linda Baransky, president of the Lawrence Art Guild. Art in the Park benefits the art guild, and Baransky said she expected to rake in about $6,000 to support programs for local artists.

Everything from painted street signs to handmade jewelry and colorful ceramics were on display. Massachusetts Street was blocked off between North Park and South Park streets, and an old Cadillac Coupe deVille invited children to draw chalk masterpieces on its hull. Several musical groups entertained the crowd throughout the day.

"This isn't just your typical craft show. It's all designed and made by the artists themselves," Baransky said, adding that the event was a juried art fair, meaning that each artist's work was vetted before being accepted to participate.

She said between 6,000 and 7,000 people attended the event.

Catherine and Allan Bedora came from Fairway with their two cairn terriers, Lucy and Rose.

They had attended the Brookside art festival in Kansas City, Mo., over the weekend and were looking forward to seeing the work of Lawrence-area artists.

The fair impressed the Bedoras, who made their first trip to Art in the Park. "I think the artists are more local here than in Brookside," Allan said, adding that it was more affordable, too.

He was impressed by the live music.

"What's really nice is the patriotic thing that Lawrence City Band did," Allan Bedora said. The band played the national anthem at noon, and many in the crowd stood out of respect.

This year's fair may not have raised as much money as others in the past. The reason? The economy, of course.

Ron Beeton, a photographer from Marion, complained that his sales were down and blamed a slowing economy.

"I don't think it is quite as good as past years," said Deb Chaussee. "We hoped with the rebate checks, people would be flush with cash."

But that did little to dampen artists' enthusiasm.

"It's an annual tradition around here," Deb Chaussee said. "People were really looking forward to this."

Comments

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

If it helps anyonechili cheese coney's are 99 cents at Sonic.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 11 months ago

Art in the Park is always the first Sunday of May.

akt2 5 years, 11 months ago

I thought it was always on the Sunday before Mother's Day.

KsTwister 5 years, 11 months ago

"I didn't know this event was this weekend. Sorry to have missed it."Same for several of us who would have added a little to the revenue here. Congrats again LJW!!

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 5 years, 11 months ago

was at Oak Park Mall yesterday and the Village West/Legends area Saturday and those places had masses of peopleI mean almost elbow to elbow But these are 2 different kinds of shoppers. At the malls they are looking for mass produced goods. At the Art Fair they are looking for art, mostly 1 of a kind art. The arts really suffer in time of recession, because people put buying it on hold.

themiddlechild 5 years, 11 months ago

"We hoped with the rebate checks, people would be flush with cash."----------------------This might be true if the art show was scheduled for June or July. On the other hand, the Art show was very nice, it was just a perfect day for the whole family to get out and enjoy the live band in th sun.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Since I can remember Mom o 3...the art in the park is always the same weekend as the 4-H swap meet....next year if ya see or hear the swap meet advertised ..the you can figure the park art is on as well!

postfactumproductions 5 years, 11 months ago

The city and KJHK did a terrible job promoting their events yesterday. I was particularly ashamed of the KJHK event at the train park. No one knew about it, there were no food or drink vendors, the sound engineer was a joke, and their could have actually been 'jazz' bands for a jazz event.I don't know if it is because they switched from being run by the J-school to SUA, but ever since that transition happened, KJHK has gone way downhill. From the programs to the events...KJHK continues to disappoint this former DJ that put three good years of hard work into the station.

justthefacts 5 years, 11 months ago

I didn't know this event was this weekend. Sorry to have missed it. But the idea that art must/is/or should be functional made me laugh. While I prefer my art that way, there are scads of people who like their art without any function other then to look at, enjoy, or start conversations, etc. So in answer to the "how many wooden bowls do you need," I'd respond "Probably a lot more then you need just to hang things up on your walls!"

LogicMan 5 years, 11 months ago

It was packed with people when I attended. But I did notice that few people had purchases in their hands, other than food/drink.A couple of items caught my eye but the prices were just too high. For example, $45 for a great looking but tiny clay pot. If it was in the $15 to $20 range it would have been sold, but I didn't want to insult the artist by offering well below the asking price.

Harderfaster 5 years, 11 months ago

I bought $150 worth of stuff.There just isn't that much offered that is useful around the house.I mean how many woodend bowls does one need?

newsreader 5 years, 11 months ago

I got my rebate on Wednesday...

bobberboy 5 years, 11 months ago

These things are never advertised the way they should be. Would have been a great weekend for something like that - had I only known. Oh well I guess I'll probably look forward to missing it again next year too.

avoice 5 years, 11 months ago

In similar news, a friend who went to Branson over the weekend reported that it was shockingly UNcrowded, especially the shows, such as Andy Williams.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

" You could fool me that the economy is bad:."Given the general consensus that the economy isn't doing so hot, apparently you could be fooled that the economy is good.

Finding_Uranus 5 years, 11 months ago

I was at Oak Park Mall yesterday and the Village West/Legends area Saturday and those places had masses of people---I mean almost elbow to elbow at some times and believe you me, they were whipping out the cash----not just lookers. You could see it and you had to wait your turn in line to check out almost everywhere.The problem above must be something about Lawrence. You could fool me that the economy is bad....at least not from what I'm seeing firsthand. Maybe Lawrence is an odd market?

macon47 5 years, 11 months ago

if you are buying many groceries, and 4 dollar gas, it doesnt give you alot ofextra money at the end of the weekfor foo foo stuff that isnt much more than something to look at, and you end up selling at your next garagesale for a quarter

Adrienne Sanders 5 years, 11 months ago

Actually, some people received their tax rebates by direct deposit starting last week. Doesn't really matter though, I don't think everyone would have been out there blowing their entire rebate if they'd had it. Most people have other needs for that money.There were some really nice things out there yesterday. (and of course some mediocre stuff.) I spent a bit of money myself.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

"Like 42" flat screen LCD TVs."That'll give the Chinese economy a nice boost.

b3 5 years, 11 months ago

I received my rebate check last week, however, there are alot better things to spend it on. Like 42" flat screen LCD TVs.

50YearResident 5 years, 11 months ago

"We hoped with the rebate checks, people would be flush with cash."Nobody has recieved their rebate check yet. The event was a month too early.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

Could be the economy, or that the date just jumped on us. I was thinking it was next weekend, because I didn't see anything in the paper until Sunday night. It was probably there, but I missed it.