Letters to the Editor

Damaging fame

May 2, 2008

To the editor:

Referring to Leonard Pitts' article on April 17, I agree that, "Fame is not what it used to be."

It's not every day that you hear somebody on your side, especially about a complex topic. Although the incident that occurred on March 30 (the brutal beating of Victoria Lindsay), was extremely disturbing, I can attest that teens are finding some disturbing ways to become "famous." Every day at school, I hear about the things students are doing, because they think they are cool, whether it be beating someone up, gossiping or smoking. I believe these harmful acts should not receive attention or fame.

Once someone demonstrates such an act, others follow. As for the specific event of the brutal beating of Victoria Lindsay, I blame electronic media for allowing this type of video to be posted on YouTube.

Yes, these acts should be recognized as wrong, but they will continue should the electronic media continue to buy into an unfortunate definition of fame. Kids will do almost anything to receive the attention they want.

As a student at South Junior High School, I may be known as a "good girl," but I know that I won't be one of the people sitting in jail because I was charged with "seeking useless fame."

Jasmine Brown,

Lawrence

Comments

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Yes Jasmine, thanks for writing.The UK is having a terrible problem with young white kids walking around in gangs, kicking people to death for the fun of it.Lots of them.One village had a "local square orgy" of drunken late school kids. Lots of drunken kids.It wasn't even dark, and some of them were standing up. The townspeople got a eye full.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

dear jasmine,you wrote a very impressive letter to the editor. I am proud to be in the same community as you. keep being the good girl. real beauty comes from the inside.

MCL27 5 years, 11 months ago

I have seen the video and I have listened to the 911 call and read the copies of statements that have been made public in this case. I am still very angry about it but I was never that shocked about the mentality of the girls involved not to mention the lazy mother. I was disappointed to hear the parents of Victoria blame YouTube which cannot be blamed in the least. It was just a medium of information, if we didn't have the internet they would have made posters of pictures and put them around school or have done it in school to let others know not to mess with their cliche. I have read comments on other sites about older people talking about how teen violence and suicides were never heard of due to having better discipline which is ludicrous. Remember back when blacks couldn't attend the same schools as whites? When women couldn't vote? When the Nazis killed 6 million Jews and other anti-semitic violence? Or now finding out about abuse by Catholic priests and Sisters in the United States and Europe? I would recommend watching the movie The Magdoline Sisters (the director couldn't show everything due to fear of alienating the audience of the full account). I think that media may have some influence but for the most part all it has done in the last couple of decades is bring horrnedous acts to light. The main culprit in this case is sexiest upbringing, 'my little girl can do no wrong and is a princess' attitude. It festers the mentality of entitlement and a lack of work ethic having everything handed to them and no real respect for anyone or anything besides themselves. I also can't stand genetic based love; like their child can do no wrong because it came from their loins. Even the best and brightest selfless parents can give birth to selfish morons. Parents in that situation need to face reality and do all they can to correct those problems, the first step to solving a problem is acknowledging you have one. As far as sentencing goes they all need to do some jail time, at least a year. Probably why April Cooper could hardly keep a straight face even in front of the judge thinking the most she'll get is probation. Put her in State prison for a year and see if she still has any teeth left to smile with.

hen 5 years, 11 months ago

If it wasn't for youtube and these idiot girls taping their crimes in the hopes of it being seen these attackers would have gotten away with it. Thank God for youtube.

Confrontation 5 years, 11 months ago

The real problem is that any idiot can become a parent.

lily 5 years, 11 months ago

I would agree it seems to be the "popular" ones who exhibit this kind of behavior. It's starting younger and younger. The things I have witnessed at the elementary school level literally scares me. Being a good kid is tough. You're picked on physically, verbally, emotionally and can be scarred for life. Tough punishment is needed. I agree with Jasmine that the fact this stuff is getting so publicized doesn't help. What a world it is.

avoice 5 years, 11 months ago

Although each generation of parents (and, for that matter, grandparents) laments the devolution of the younger generation, this time around there is definitely something to be concerned about. When the current generation of parents were young, rebellious behaviors of all sorts were seen as - rebellious. Fighting, drugs, drinking, crashing cars, stealing - it was all about "sticking it to the man." The kids today aren't really trying to "stick it" to anyone. They think these behaviors are normal. The popular kids are the ones who behave the worst. That is not considered rebellious or even extreme. It is just what they do; their moral values include these acts of violence. They believe that there is nothing wrong with this behavior and they don't do it to make a statement, they just do it because that's what kids do. This marks a fundamental shift in society overall that is very dangerous.

workinghard 5 years, 11 months ago

Way to go Jasmine. I know it's hard being the "good girl" but hang in there. My daughter is now the "good girl" in college which is easier. Don't let them get you down.