Archive for Thursday, March 27, 2008

Card shop occupies former Joe’s Bakery

March 27, 2008

The former home to Joe's Bakery is the new home for Rachel Churchill's handmade cards business.

At least for now.

Churchill, owner of I Stamp, recently expanded her card-making and scrapbooking business into the former bakery space at 616 W. Ninth St.

Churchill previously had been limited to operating upstairs, but building owner Ralph Smith is offering her an opportunity get more comfortable.

"It gives me more room to spread out," said Churchill, who helps Smith by showing the former bakery space to potential tenants. "Once he actually leases the space down here, I'll just move back upstairs."

Smith used to operate the once-iconic bakery, which fed long lines of Kansas University students and others hungry for hot glazed doughnuts, egg salad sandwiches and other lunch and late-night goodies. Two successive operations groups tried to make a go of it, but the latest effort - which lasted a year - ended in October.

Churchill reports seeing good interest from potential tenants. Smith, she said, wants to lease the space to a retail tenant.

Churchill's business is open from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays, or by appointment. For information, e-mail info@rfcdesign.com.

Comments

aginglady 7 years, 3 months ago

Joe's sugar cookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nikki May 7 years, 3 months ago

People aren't calling you because they aren't really that worried about it. And, honestly don't think it's worth it. I'm anonymous because apparently I missed the phone calls from ljworld to make me not anonymous, but if people think it's ok to call and harrass people who aren't anonymous then maybe I'm better off. Oddly, I have people ask me all the time if this is me posting on LJWorld with this screen name. I don't care if people know who I am.

compmd 7 years, 3 months ago

Marty, don't you see? You can bring back Joe's, but you need to go back to 1985!

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

snap writes:

just because some people can't make a go of a brick & mortar business in Lawrence ....

Are

those

grapes

sour

?

Still

having

a

wonderful

internet

life

Janet Lowther 7 years, 3 months ago

The last time I thought about Joe's was when I got gas next door.

The time was right.

I could smell donuts frying.

I went to the door.

It was locked.

That, I figure, was the end of Joe's.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

snap writes:

marioni, I don't hate you. It is amusing to rattle your chain & watch you leap about like a crazed spider monkey.

Still

crapola

known

as

spamgossip

?

BigPrune 7 years, 3 months ago

I never thought Joe's Bakery was that good. If they were THAT good, wouldn't they still be in business today?

Eric Neuteboom 7 years, 3 months ago

Marion, I'm reminded of one of my favorite quotes whenever I read your posts, "better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

George_Braziller 7 years, 3 months ago

I never was really wild about Joe's grease bombs. They were ok hot, but cold it was like eating a spoonful of Crisco. Then after living at 9th and Indiana for 7 1/2 years and smelling them all hours of the day and night I really lost my appetite for them.

Marty_McFly 7 years, 3 months ago

Great Scott! No more Joe's? I'll just have to make like a tree.

fu7il3 7 years, 3 months ago

I miss Joe's. I liked the fritters. Although, I have lost weight without them.

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 3 months ago

I drive a Ferrari, have a meeting at the Kremlin in one hour, and am currently dating leggy supermodels.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

Would you class Marion's 11:52 post as

A. Drivel

B. Boasting

C. Pontification

D. All of the above

coool 7 years, 3 months ago

I just think the Coach struck a nerve with Marion.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

"Snap, I don't acre you you "classify" my post!"

English, do you speak it?

Marty_McFly 7 years, 3 months ago

If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

Hormel products are sold in many countries.

coool 7 years, 3 months ago

Marion,

Since you think you're so better than everyone else here then why do you stick around?

Please go away.

Thanks, coool

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

Somebody say "smoking ban" & we'll watch marioni's head explode.

WoolyBully 7 years, 3 months ago

Yo, Marion! Did you receive my answer to you at RCT? Ref Bill Spencer and more... Wooly

WoolyBully 7 years, 3 months ago

I ate at Joe's Doughs regularly as a student, in 1970 & 71. Then I moved abroad, to return for two days in 2002, when I stopped and ate at Joe's again. Now 2008, and the loss of Joe's leaves me with no reason to again visit Lawrence. Say it isn't so. Another local icon gone... It was Jimi who sang "I got a bad bad feelin'..." Wooly

brujablanco 7 years, 3 months ago

Where to begin......................

Marion says: You see, "Coach", that's why they call them "Coaches"; coaches are like some teachers; those who can, do, those who cannot, teach.

Would this be a teacher like your sister, who posts on RCT from her teacher's desk frequently?

Marion also says:

The internet services which I offer are entirely legal and well worth the money my clients pay for them.

If the "services" are so legal, why not tell what they are? What better form of advertisement?

Oh, and there is more Marion:

He will send the fees Western Union, I will pick up the cash at the grocery store and then go to the bar, at which place I will initiate his purchased service via my cute little laptop.

Very legal transactions, thus the need to go to a bar and use someone else's IP address. Would this perchance be the Replay?

And even more Marion:

Gross on the deal was $452, none of which goes for rent, none goes for insurance , none goes for personal property or real estate tax

Of course you don't spend money on rent, insurance, etc., living in one's mother's basement takes away all reaponsibility for the obligations most men have.

More Marion ad nauseum:

I can buy all the uranium I want and quite legally at that. The guys are out of stock right now but will soon be re-supplied

Making a science project?

warmer - of course he won't pay off his debts, he filed bancruptcy and lives off of his aging mother and more than likely our hard-earned tax dollars!

Rachel - I hope your business flourishes, and pay no mind to offers from unknown Internet "wizzzzzards".

Card making and scrapbooking are a wonderful hobby.

GretchenJP 7 years, 3 months ago

Anyone know what they're gonna replace Bucky's with yet?

aginglady 7 years, 3 months ago

I heard someone was going to open up a drive-thru for fast off shore based IP service. Transactions in 5 minutes or less guaranteed. With a $.99 menu for non business accounts paid in well washed coins. They aren't sure about putting the counter staff in gogo boots tho.

GretchenJP 7 years, 3 months ago

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!! Lawrence is SO hip.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

cool's still pimping marioni's stinking pit of a 'forum' through its misleading name.

aginglady 7 years, 3 months ago

Look Mariann, The last 30 hours have been bad enough. I just went and bought dinner and two large bottles of Vodka.

Did you HAVE to post that tonight?

:D

George_Braziller 7 years, 3 months ago

Marion = yawn. He's a legend in his own mind.

TriSigmaKS 7 years, 3 months ago

A card shop? LAME idea...... How discraceful for ANYONE who is loyal to Lawrence or claim they are a local to put a freaking card shop or scrapbook crap place in Joe's. Shame shame.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

What would Swedish Chef Marioni say? "Thees furoom is countrulled by zee beeggest boonch ooff poorely heteffool und ifeel degeneretes I hefe-a ifer seee oon zee 'net. Um de hur de hur de hur. I du nut knoo vhy zee LJV ifee buzeers tu counteenooe-a it. Um de hur de hur de hur. Snep, Eggeee-a, Feuryleeght und a foo oozeers ere-a ell pert ooff zee seme-a internet gruoop ooff "veetches" vheech coosed zee Cepeetul-Juoornel tu shoot doon its furoom. Zeey hete-a veethuoot prejoodeece-a. Zeey hete-a iferyune-a. Zeey hete-a becoose-a zeey cun. Zeey hete-a sooccess. Um gesh dee bork, bork! Zeey hete-a feeeloore-a. Zeey seemply hete-a. Zeey sooppurt oonly vhee dueeng su inhunces zeeur ebeelity tu hete-a. Iff zee LJV counteenooes its puleecy ooff ellooeeng unfereeffied users, thees furoom es vell veell gu doon es a resoolt ooff zee hete-a. By zee vey, yuoo veell be-a eble-a tu see-a my rued test ooff zee GEM cer (a nooer mudel ooff zee oone-a thet zee Ceety ooff Levrence-a, Kunses buooght!); zee LJV beeeng tu lezy tu get oooot ooff zee sture-a und countect a deeler:.und zeere-a is a fery neerby deeler; ilsoohere-a! Tee meenootes ooff guud stooffff, veet myselff und lucel ootu booffff Tum Bugerdoos es zee testers. Um gesh dee bork, bork! Hoo deed I du thees? I seemply celled up zee deeler, tuld heem thet ve-a vunted tu du a rued test! I deedn't see-a uny ooff zee su-celled "leeberels" oor "greee peuple-a" eruoond here-a du thet! Leefe-a it tu zee cunserfeteefe-a leeberteriun tu get sumetheeng dune-a. Zee heters vuoold rezeer oonly hete-a. Let zeem. Zeey ere-a scoom boot yuoo reel peuple-a need tu vetch oooot fur zeem. Zeey ere-a a dunger tu yuoo und yuoors. Um gesh dee bork, bork! Hefe-a a neece-a dey. Bork bork bork!"

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

Kook, imagine how much worse it would be if you were a muppet.

BTW

was

"hater"

the

word of the day

on

the

"New Words for Unpleasant Older Folks"

calendar

?

aginglady 7 years, 3 months ago

Not you Gretchen, of course. :)

George_Braziller 7 years, 3 months ago

Marion - Just can't seem to find "Smalltown, USA" on the map. Oh, I forgot. You're in Moscow, or flying over the Grand Canyon, maybe surfing in Thailand, or sitting in Perry pretending that you are something that you aren't.

"Marion Lynn Verified LJWorld.com user since Aug. 9, 2003. Send Marion a private message (login required)

Location: Cyberspace Hometown: Smalltown, USA Occupation: Taking over the world, one domain at a time. Comments: 10284 (view all or subscribe via RSS) Reader Blog"

aginglady 7 years, 3 months ago

Alton Brown was teaching about waffles last night. He said that in the south, people take a waffle, put a piece of fried chicken on it, then pour over maple syrup. I've never heard of this. My family is from the south and I've never heard of this.

Anyone? Maybe this should be marketed at Bucky's. Along with an open faced roast beef with mashed, and Drew's Chicken Fried Bacon. (shudder) Lawrence doesn't have an open faced beef now do they? (Hell has frozen over, and we live in it.)

GretchenJP 7 years, 3 months ago

aginglady (Anonymous) says:

"Don't advocate for no anonymity, no one will be able to have fun anymore. The place will die, then where would the lonely,entrapped, bored and sad people be? joking fellows.

Not you Gretchen, of course. :)"

Of course!

Still

having

wonderful

rainbow

poops!

aginglady 7 years, 3 months ago

Maybe we should all do that. I realized I needed to take off the photos sent to me on my phone. I might drop dead one day, and my kids see mom's photo gallery and messages. When we first got photo phones, my friends would send pictures to each other while they were at work, at the capitol testifying, surgery, etc. Pictures taken just for the shock value and fun. We would get a break from our work, look at our phone and see we had a message, Gee what's up we wondered? And then we usually found out just who's what was up! Many laughs. People need to send lewd photos more often, just like flashing to wake someone up during the day!

GretchenJP 7 years, 3 months ago

aginglady (Anonymous) says:

"You know Gretchen, You should print off the moment of truth comments, use a highlighter on your posts, and put them deep in your hope chest. Then, after you are gone, your kids and grandkids will find them and well..that would just be too much fun from the grave, wouldn't it?"

Well then everyone would know I'm so very eccentric! LOL Actually, you reminded me of something I did for my mom once... I took a whole bunch of little pieces of paper and wrote a memory I had with her... then I put them in an empty jar and told her to draw one out, everyday. She LOVED the idea and still tells me how much she enjoys it to this day.

Eric Neuteboom 7 years, 3 months ago

You're right Marion, absolutely no vitriol, hatred or intolerance in your posts what-so-ever.

I personally can think of nothing more pathetic than making over 10,000 posts on this site.

trinity 7 years, 3 months ago

all i can do is laugh, in reviewing this thread. good lord marion, wherever do you get the notion that anybody gives a rat's ass what you do, how you do it, etc?

snap, keep it up-i will acre you! ;)

aginglady 7 years, 3 months ago

(Marion is the first upon the scene of a car wreck. He runs to help, reaching for his cell phone. Then he thinks,"This could possible be snap,or the many many others that engage him on this post. He changes his mind, looks both ways, puts cell phone in trunk, and quickly turns off on a side road. He turns on his favorite music and lights one up. He'll check the boards tomorrow to see if he was in luck.) :)

George_Braziller 7 years, 3 months ago

Marion = Yawn. He's a self-important legend in his own mind and spends thousand of hours on the internet trying to convince others that he is as brilliant as he thinks he is.

Drew_Carey 7 years, 3 months ago

1000 pts for the author of the story. They had no idea what they were starting.