Letters to the Editor

Pronunciation

March 18, 2008

To the editor:

Bruschetta is what I would consider the ultimate in summer snacks: sweet tomatoes, savory basil and balsamic vinegar piled atop a crispy garlicky toast. Unfortunately, as it applies to local restaurants in both Lawrence and Kansas City, ordering my favorite dish has become an issue. This is not because of the lack of great makers of bruschetta in the area, but because of the lack of culinary knowledge of the staff serving it.

It never fails that when I order bruschetta (pronounced brus'ket'ta; the "sch" is pronounced as it is in "school"), the person taking my order goes out of their way to "correct" me with the Missouri/Kansas-fied bastardization "brus Shet' ta." Not only does this make the server look like a fool, as well as show the lack of culinary knowledge of the establishment in which the dish is being served, it insults the person ordering who is being corrected with an incorrect pronunciation.

The word bruschetta comes from the Roman word "bruscare," which means to roast over coals, or to toast. It has become a running joke between my friends and me. I order, and then we wait and cringe. It never fails.

To restaurants, please, please retrain your employees. Knowing how to pronounce each dish is the bare minimum of requirements for a server to be able to explain, offer, and serve at a food establishment.

Aaron Clary,

Lawrence

Comments

grimpeur 6 years, 9 months ago

And we're at it, thiz here Chateau Salve Wafer '82 is tepid. I wonder: could you please deposit it in a refrigeratory receptacle until izzat fitty-five degrees Fahrenheit? I like my wine like I like my women:

ready to pass out.

mom_of_three 6 years, 9 months ago

i can't believe this letter was printed.
There are more things to worry about than how your favorite dish is pronounced.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

"Dogs bark in america but they yark in France."

Maybe I'm just tired at this hour, but this made me cackle.

talmansrock 6 years, 9 months ago

This is hands down the restaurants fault for sending their employees out without all of the information they may need. This is a small complaint, but I'm certain that anyone would take offense to being "corrected" with incorrect information. The question is, if someone makes this mistake, should you say anything to them about it, even nicely?

trinity 6 years, 9 months ago

i can't stop rolling my eyes over this lte...hellllp!

mom_of_three 6 years, 9 months ago

People have mispronounced my name almost every day of my life. You kindly ignore them or kindly correct them. It's no big deal.

mom_of_three 6 years, 9 months ago

Marion,

In Kansas, it's the ArkanZAS river, and ArkanZAS City, because you don't pronounce Kansas as KanSAW.

But as far as which one is technically correct, I don't care.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 9 months ago

The "correct" pronunciation of a place name should be determined by the people who actually live there. My $0.02.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 9 months ago

Simply pointing & grunting works remarkably well in many environments.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 9 months ago

I admit that I'm one of the shet heads. So, if you actually LEARN (from the ignorant) you get shet upon. That's nice. Most of us don't have much of a choice in that department!~)

I do appreciate learning how to pronounce the name of this delightfully toothsome treat...just don't need the snot on top of that crusty crumb of knowledge!~)

hawklet21 6 years, 9 months ago

I think gyro just sounds like hero. I've ordered it that way and never been laughed at ;)

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 9 months ago

well go to Italy I am sure they would have no problem and you would not have to deal with us poor uneducated midwesterners.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

"Not only does this make the server look like a fool, as well as show the lack of culinary knowledge of the establishment in which the dish is being served, it insults the person ordering who is being corrected with an incorrect pronunciation."

If they are correcting your pronunciation, I think its probably bad server etiquette (which, by the way, is pronounced Eh tih cut, for all those who thought it was pronounced EE tie kweh tee, just an FYI), but who's the greater fool, the server who sticks with the standard mispronunciation of the region, or the guy who is either so obsessed over showing his knowledge of a single Italian (Ih tal EE uhn, not EYE tal EYE uhn, another FYI), or so cranky as to let something like this bother him enough to write out a letter to the editor in the local paper chastizing the local population on mispronouncing a word? (not KAS tie zeeng, the ch is the same as the ch in chincherinchees not the same as the ch in chemoautotrophies, and it's Certianly not the same ch as in chinoiserie! Geez!)

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

Or, I suppose, the poster who takes the time to look up incomprehensible words on the internet that start with CH just to laugh at said writer of lte chastising the local population. Guess we should include that one too.

Oh, and the mispronunciation is far prettier sounding than the real one, so I'll stick with that. Neener neener.

talmansrock 6 years, 9 months ago

Ok now that everyone has their morning flaming out of the way... I'm willing to bet that most of us that have been crass with Aaron have been pronouncing it wrong until now, thus raising our contempt for the post. I know I have been. I learned something new this morning, and so did you. Some of the comments give the impression of refusing to accept the information given, therefore supporting the letter's message of ignorance.

Bradley Kemp 6 years, 9 months ago

Of course, servers shouldn't be correcting the pronunciation of their customers.

That said, how Italians might pronounce the word or how Romans pronounced the word from which it sprung is utterly irrelevant. English speakers are allowed to pronounce English words in the English way.

And I'll wager that every pedant out there who knows to say "brew-sket-uh" instead of "brew-shet-uh" says the word with an ordinary back-of-the-mouth American English "r," not the front-of-the-mouth trilled Italian "r."

That's just as much a mispronunciation (for those trying to say the word as the Italians do) as is the sk/sh alternation.

Larry Bauerle 6 years, 9 months ago

Wow. I can die happy, now. Thanks Aaron.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 9 months ago

Good grief, even Paul McCartney's divorce seems more important that this. Talk about nitpicking.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 9 months ago

And I'm a language teacher. If I nagged my young students about every little mispronunciation they would clam up and never use the language. I always remind them they couldn't pronounce English perfectly when they were little, like "dwink, mommy?"

Eileen Jones 6 years, 9 months ago

However:

The LTE writer should send this letter to the managers of the restaurants where he has had these experiences.

aaclary 6 years, 9 months ago

Good Morning All,

I do not care how a server pronounces a dish. Both the Kansasfied, and traditional pronounciation are welcome. The issue is that a member of staff is "correcting" a patron is rude. What makes it rude in this case is that both patron and waitstaff are correct, yet the staff feels the need to say something. I never ever argue with anyone. I merely thank them and continue with my meal, and tip big. I certainly never say anything to the staff no matter which way they pronounce it because either way they are correct. I have incredible respect for those in the waitstaff industry. Nothing can make a night out more fun than a great experience at a restaurant. Pronounciation is the title, but the theme is etiquette. Don't correct me if I'm right too.

Aaron

hammysammy 6 years, 9 months ago

The servers probably aren't even "correcting" him. My guess is they are repeating back the order while using the wrong pronunciation. But seriously, this guys beats all in the pompous you know what department. What a worthy crusade!

mom_of_three 6 years, 9 months ago

I also don't think every server is actually correcting him, but repeating what he ordered with the wrong pronunication.
as long as you get what you ordered, shouldn't be a big deal.

mom_of_three 6 years, 9 months ago

wow, hammysammy, we had the same thought at the same time...sorry

mom_of_three 6 years, 9 months ago

I wonder if he gets upset when he goes into Missour-ee and someone says Missour-ah.

mom_of_three 6 years, 9 months ago

man, lots of posts at the same time. Aaron, your latest post sounds a little better than your original letter.
But geez, if it really bugs you that much, then talk to the restaurant management.

mom_of_three 6 years, 9 months ago

LoL, hammysammy.
tired of beating this dead horse.....

rachelh 6 years, 9 months ago

I have also been incorrectly "corrected" at restaurants in reguards to this dish. I feel your pain. The wait staff ALWAYS seems to go out of their way to make themselves sound uneducated and rude. Even if you were wrong (and you AREN'T) it is outrageous to be "corrected."

Crossfire 6 years, 9 months ago

I can't pronounce either one. ...but I like it. I just ask for "one o' dem i-talian toe-mater sam-witches".

Crossfire 6 years, 9 months ago

Anybody wanna buy a "Buck Fruschetta" hat?

hammysammy 6 years, 9 months ago

So, when people come into my restaurant and order 'kway-soh" from me, should I say I will have your kway-soh right out? Or will I be demonstrating unforgiveable rudeness if I later mention the word "queso"? The same with the people who order our fuh-jitas, kway-sod-dillyahs, that one fish,etc.

Baille 6 years, 9 months ago

Isn't Buck Fruschetta the lead guitarist for the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

akt2 6 years, 9 months ago

I say the server is a pompous ass. Pronounce it however you want to. And after you are corrected, reiterate your order, and pronounce it the way you want to again. Making direct eye contact, and not batting a lash while doing so.

Crossfire 6 years, 9 months ago

I love the Red Hot Cherry Tomatoes. Polka Bands Rule!!!!

talmansrock 6 years, 9 months ago

In that instance hammy, I would probably not say anything, even though the customer is wrong. In this instance though, both are correct. Might be a good question for the ethics guys in npr.

hammysammy 6 years, 9 months ago

So the server is a pompous ass because they say the correct pronuciation? While not passing judgement on customers who say things incorrectly, as far as the bastardized midwestern pronunciations can be called correct, of our mexican dishes, akt2 really thinks a server is a pompous ass for saying the order back correctly? I didn't say, oh and by the way, then I go back to the kitchen and make fun of them for being stupid. But if a customer wants to make akt2's angry stand for such a non-issue, that's fine. After all, the customer is always right.

Crossfire 6 years, 9 months ago

Wanna T-shirt? Sure. They only come in XXL white with tomato and olive oil stains all down the front. Send $12 cash. You shirt will be delivered quick. <))'-<

hammysammy 6 years, 9 months ago

"In that instance hammy, I would probably not say anything, even though the customer is wrong. In this instance though, both are correct. Might be a good question for the ethics guys in npr"

I think you are absolutely right, and that is what I did in most cases. I never care to go out of my way to intentionally embarrass a guest. But a alot of places require people to repeat back orders. In order to avoid this, menus should just have big pictures on them and people can start circling what they want. Voila-no more pronunciation or etiquette issues.

BlackVelvet 6 years, 9 months ago

If this is the biggest thing Aaron has to complain about in life, we should all strive to have it so good! (he's still a putz tho) (that's pronounced PUTZZ, btw)

kneet 6 years, 9 months ago

I am wondering if this is a certain semi-new Italian upscale-wannabe restaurant on Mass. We went to this establishment for a birthday and ordered chicken under a brick (which I've had before) and my friend took one bite, passed it around and we all agreed it was raw in the middle. We sent it back. A few moments later an assistant manager came out to inform us that if we didn't like the dish it wasn't because it was cooked improperly it was because we just didn't like it. We all looked at each other with that "you've got to be kidding me" look and decided not to grace that place with our uninformed presence ever again. I mean it was raw; we all thought so! The moral here is if you want repeat business make the customer happy.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 9 months ago

Are we having brusque fuch milquetoasty "O"s for breakfast?~)

aaclary 6 years, 9 months ago

I'm 27 btw, not that it matters. I'll have a t-shirt as well. Medium or Large please.

Newell_Post 6 years, 9 months ago

I hate bruschetta, however it is pronounced. Sloppy food impossible to eat without creating a mess.

beatrice 6 years, 9 months ago

I never correct a server before he/she brings the food. I wonder how often Mr. CulinarySmartyPants has received his "brus'ket'ta" with a little extra "topping" from the kitchen. (To keep with the condescending tone of the letter, just think - waiters and fingers and noses and your food - at the very least. I think you get the picture.)

geekin_topekan 6 years, 9 months ago

aaclary 6 years, 9 months ago

Beatrice,

to keep with the condescending tone of the letter, read my post again. The part about never correcting the server. Thanks.

I put my time in behind the grill back in the day, I know what happens between the kitchen and the table.

Confrontation 6 years, 9 months ago

If you google his name, you find an interesting MySpace Page (no, I don't know if it's him, but it's pretty self-obsessed, so it just might be):

kristyj 6 years, 9 months ago

Aaron-

My family and I have had this same pronunciation conversation. I feel your pain.

K_Verses_The_World 6 years, 9 months ago

Proverbs 21 3 To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice. 4 Haughty eyes and a proud heart, the lamp of the wicked, are sin!

beatrice 6 years, 9 months ago

aaclary, not to condescend -- you know, talk down to -- but regarding your 12:58 post, your error was when you assumed that I think you important enough to have read your first post.

(of course, I'm totally kidding. Glad to see you have the same view on not criticizing the food before it arrives.)

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 9 months ago

Is cleanliness next to a newell post on the stairway to heaven?~)

Sloppy food is my favorite. I admit to being a slob, scaring and (mentally) scarring people with my animal grunts and gorging. Give me 20 pounds of crawfish or shrimp, a couple dozen blue crabs, a few lobsters, some spare ribs and stand back. I even eat a grapefruit in a disgusting manner, with just a sharp knife and 100 db of slurping. Nothing edible is left in my wake.

Gluttony is next to godliness at my table.

Baille 6 years, 9 months ago

"I do not care how a server pronounces a dish. Both the Kansasfied, and traditional pronounciation are welcome. The issue is that a member of staff is "correcting" a patron is rude. ... Pronounciation is the title, but the theme is etiquette. Don't correct me if I'm right too."

That is a nice bit of revisionist history, Mr. Clary. (I pronounce "Mister" as "Mistah.") But if it is anything more than that, I would gently recommend a course in expositive writing as the sentiments you now espouse are nowhere to be found in your letter.

mom_of_three 6 years, 9 months ago

just checking the blog, as I am bored and on a break. I am one of those folks from R-kansas city. Sometimes I am asked why it isn't arkan-saw city, and I usually say "because I don't live in Kan-saw.
Kansas is probably the only place it is pronounce Ar-kan-sas river.

ssmarsh 6 years, 9 months ago

As a writer, I appreciate any small attempt at keeping language on-course. In my opinion, "bruschetta" is a bit of a gray area in English due to its foreign origins, but amen to Aaron for getting people talking about human speech! Yes, there are bigger problems in the world, which I'm sure Aaron knows, but I think we have room in the paper for a couple paragraphs on this topic. It's obviously an interesting one, as the number of comments prove. Thanks, Aaron!

crackers 6 years, 9 months ago

How do you pronounce "ramen noodles"?

Crossfire 6 years, 9 months ago

Are-can-saw or R-cans-ass? I wondered about that in 1962. ...decided then that it did not matter. I Aaron pronounced with 2 A's or is the first one silent?

nrvana8775 6 years, 9 months ago

Wow, you sound like a pretentious and Eurocentric dork.

I bet you are equally upset when one of your friends mispronounces sovignon or cabernet. It must be hard to be a pseudo-intellectual.

talmansrock 6 years, 9 months ago

Obviously this was a topic of interest. We are nearing 100 posts. You can flame the guy for how he brought it up, but evidently it needed discussed. It's interested that people throwing stones with their "intelligence" are calling this guy pretentious. I don't think it's pretentious to expect for courtesy when you are paying someone to wait on you.

ssmarsh 6 years, 9 months ago

I agree, Tony88. I confess that I am a dictionary dork and rightly adhere to "the rules" in my capacity as a journalist and copy editor (having common, reliable usage of words and punctuation is vital for the quick gleaning of information). However, in my capacity as a creative writing instructor, I encourage liberal and poetic use of the ever-evolving tools we call words. In my opinion, the tension between the old and the new is a good thing, as is knowing the rules before you break them--context is always a good thing.

mom_of_three 6 years, 9 months ago

I don't need anyone to explain it to me.
I know how my city is pronounced - I was born there - went to junior high, high school and even college there.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 9 months ago

When I was a kid, we pronounced "often" without a dat-gummed "T" sound...um...uphill both ways! The dictionary said that was deal and we followed the good book...um...five miles to school! Then, in my 1977 dictionary the "T" sound was optional! What the HAY! Now the "T" sound is third on the list of pronunciations and they have some James Earl Jones sounding character promoting the no "T" version of "often" in a sound file on the web! http://www.answers.com/often&r=67 I'm gol-danged antipathetic to this insidious and odious atrophication of articulation! Why does everybody hate the "T"?~) It makes me feel empty inside.

Man! This thread is WACKY!~)

ohopal 6 years, 9 months ago

I suggest that Aaron use the response I have used for 50 years, Please feel free to correct me when I'm wrong. But, don't correct me when I'm right. That was his point.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 9 months ago

OK, here are some mispronounced words that drive me crazy:

peripheral (periphial) larynx (larnyx) nuclear (no explanation needed) OK, so I'm forgetting a few, but they sure to push my buttons when I hear them.

Also, another feature of Kansas Vernacular English: Kanorado--pronouced [Kan-o-RAY-do] in Kansas and [Kan-o-RAH-do] in Colorado.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 9 months ago

Reticent: You could just replace the t's with a glottal stop, which is what I think a lot of people do. Instead of pronouncing the t's the glottal stop just means that you're using your LARYNX to briefly stop the air before you say the [hed] part. Some British and a lot of Scottish folks make frequent use of glottal stops.

Confrontation 6 years, 9 months ago

aaclary (Anonymous) says: "Aaron Dale? Dale=Clary? Interesting"

Look at him try to cover his tracks. If you search MySpace for Aaron Clary, then that profile shows up. If you search Facebook, an Aaron Clary is on there with an identical pic that you can find in that MySpace photo album. Pretty simple stuff.

Confrontation 6 years, 9 months ago

autie: I complete agree with your MySpace opinion. Some people have decent pages where they don't obsess over their own bodies or opinions. Sadly, most have pages where they glorify themselves and make themselves feel special. Yeah, they just don't understand what kind of "special" they really are :)

"Confrontation (Anonymous) says:

If you google his name, you find an interesting MySpace Page"

C'mon, man, that's just rude.

And, as far as self-obsessive, it's called MYspace.

aaclary 6 years, 9 months ago

let me save you stalkers a little trouble

myspace.com/m14 mypsace.com/theafterlifeks

look for the same pics on facebook.

classclown 6 years, 9 months ago

mom_of_three (Anonymous) says:

===============================

So people call you mom_of_two or something like that? ma_of_three?

Or do they think it should be pronounced in the French way and call you mom_de_trois?

:P

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

classclown: Maybe they call her momotree.

Baille 6 years, 9 months ago

www.myspace.com/theafterlifeks

Nice.

Viking metal from Kansas + broo.sketta = smile all day long.

Baille 6 years, 9 months ago

"...kiss the darkest part of my butt!!"

Ouch, Skippy. I hate to break this to you, but with language like that I am pretty darned sure you don't speak for my mom.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

Uhm, Re, pardon my asking. . . .

What in the World are you talking about? Is that you, Right-thinker?

Confrontation 6 years, 9 months ago

Someone who screams into the mic likes to make fun of other people's pronunciation. That's frickin' hilarious! Yes, I said "frickin'." Too advanced for a supposed metal singer?

Confrontation 6 years, 9 months ago

Also, those sites you postee are not nearly feminine enough to represent the real you. I'm going to stick with Aaron Dale. Much more realistic.

TheYetiSpeaks 6 years, 9 months ago

I DONT KNOW WHAT WERE YELLING aBOUUUT!!!!.......LOOOUUUDDD Noises!!!!

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

Aaron: That's some pretty wicked guitar. I've played half my life and I don't know if I could pull it off. The best I've gotten to is Master of Puppets.

I took the liberty of sending you a friend request, since you went and provided us the info. I'm not particularly interesting, however.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

re: Well, I assume you're testing to see how long it takes you to get kicked off. So, feel free to respond to this post in some manner or another. I assume that if I keep you talking long enough you'll get what you're going for.

If not Right-Thinker then apologies. However, if you're reading this, you know that the idea makes sense in the context of new total anonymity and potential deniability.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

I suppose this is the thread for it, so: Is deniability really a word? My spell check keeps marking it as wrong. I know I've heard that before, but I suppose that might not mean anything.

aaclary 6 years, 9 months ago

Right on, i'm hammering bass, chorus and gang vox. Our guitar player is amazing, our singer is amazing, our drummer is amazing. Couldn't ask for a better crew to rock with. Viking Metal=fun, fast, and ridiculous. I love that no matter what new info goes on here people HAVE to rip on it. add us if you like. recording now, playing out soon.

mick 6 years, 9 months ago

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

"I love that no matter what new info goes on here people HAVE to rip on it."

True, but I'd advise you not to take it particularly seriously. Especially coming from a person who actually Calls himself confrontation.

Of course, I would say not to take the comments of servers seriously either. Nor the correct pronunciation of the word bruscetta, so maybe I just don't take enough seriously.

aaclary 6 years, 9 months ago

No worries on taking it personal Jonas. The same group rips whatever thread comes across the page daily. I think they must get started before they've had their coffee, and just keep it going.

m/

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 9 months ago

I just remembered another often mispronounced word:

Familiar--usually comes out [fer-MIL-iar]

Starness34 6 years, 9 months ago

There are some very unhappy people who comment on this website. The fact that these people get so worked up and feel the need to judge and make assumptions about others is ridiculous. Aaron wrote a letter to the editor expressing frustration on ordering his favorite dish. Nowhere in his letter did he attack anyone, he was just bringing awareness to the topic. Everyone has a passion in life and let's just think for a moment, how you would feel if you were knowledgeable about your passion but where always corrected with the wrong information, you would be frustrated. Writing a letter to the editor is a great way to spread knowledge. Lighten up, it's okay to learn something new!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 9 months ago

Mereeun Lynn Mereeun (Mereeun Lynn) seys: Zee Inleeghtened veell knoo und understund; oooor vurld hes chunged. Bork bork bork! Hefe-a yuoor speekers oon:

Newell_Post 6 years, 9 months ago

JJE007:

Newell post on the stairway to heaven! Hah! LOL! That's a good one. I'll have to tell Queen_Post. When she's happy with me, she says she gave me that name because of the size and solidity of my manly member. When she's unhappy she says it's because of my personality and IQ.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

multiD: Hey, I'm hip! I'm with it! Dukka dukka dukka dukka duk dukka duk.

/pantomimes macarena

black_butterfly 6 years, 9 months ago

Aaron, you have a right to post what you want, but I think it was very immature of you to put down Kansans and Missourians. How do you know the server wasn't a KU student from Florida or California? If you don't like the way you get treated in Kansas do like a lot of people do and LEAVE. That's what I am going to do as soon as my daughter graduates from H.S. A LOT of words have been "American-ized". If it had been me I would have simply said to the server, "Actually my pronunciation was correct, but thank you for attempting to help". I wouldn't have lost sleep over it, but thank you for giving the "regulars" something else to complain about. It makes for very humorous reading.

Starness34 6 years, 9 months ago

Okay people he is not trying to belittle anyone. If you own a restaurant which you advertise as being sophisticated then the staff should be trained on how to correctly pronounce what they are serving. His problem is not with the intelligence of the wait staff, it is the owners of the restaurants, and the management who have not properly taken the time to train their staff. Why are people taking this so personal? I don't think that Aaron is harping on the server that says the word wrong when repeating the order back; the problem is when they go out of their way to correct him. It makes the establishment look bad. Bottom line, the people who serve your food and come up with the concept for their restaurants should be educated on what they are serving. And those of you who keep saying this is not big deal and that there are more important things in the world:. Why do you keep posting? If this is not important then do not waste your time, obviously this topic is important to people because it has gotten over 100 comments which is more than the rest of the opinions printed today.

grimpeur 6 years, 9 months ago

mick (Anonymous) says:

"You asked for it Lawrence, with your "domestic registry." This is what you're attracting."

AAAAhahahaha! hee hee

Wait a sec...we're attracting people who mispronounce words? Or people who write letters about people who mispronounce words?

A glass of white zimfermel, please.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 9 months ago

So this all began with cheesy garlic toast with basil?

bearded_gnome 6 years, 9 months ago

outlanders should be granted a little grace over the pronounciation of Salina, as it is confusing, there is a dusty little [larger than lawrence last I knew] agricultural center town in central california Salinas pronounced Sa-lee-nas. I don't know why, maybe blame the spaniards. that's why we like to call it ro-day-o.

Lovely Spaaam! Wonderful Spaaam! Lovely Spaaam! Wonderful Spam.

Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am. Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am. Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am. Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am.

Lovely Spaaam! (Lovely Spam!) Lovely Spaaam! (Lovely Spam!) Lovely Spaaam!

Spaaam, Spaaam, Spaaam, Spaaaaaam! Digg This -

pronounced as it is spelled: spam. no confusion.

grimpeur 6 years, 9 months ago

Tiny tomato-topped toasts for two, please!

Poon 6 years, 9 months ago

To the editor:

Busch Light is what I would consider the ultimate in summer refreshment. Unfortunately, as it applies to local fine establishments in both Lawrence and Kansas City, ordering my favorite beer has become an issue. This is not because of the lack of great establishments such as Last Call in the area, but because of the lack of knowledge of fine Amercan beer from the staff serving it.

It never fails that when I order Busch Light (pronounced bush, as in a small tree, or the last name of our President), the person taking my order goes out of their way to "correct" me with the Missouri/Kansas-fied bastardization BOOSH Light" Not only does this make the server look like a fool, as well as show the lack of fine American beer knowledge of the establishment in which the dish is being served, it insults the person ordering who is being corrected with an incorrect pronunciation.

I order, and then we wait and cringe. It never fails.

To restaurants, please, please retrain your employees. Knowing how to pronounce each beer is the bare minimum of requirements for a server to be able to explain, offer, and serve at a fine tavern or club.

Prydain 6 years, 9 months ago

p>Webster.com has the pronuciation as brü-&&char114&& she-tÉ, -&&char114&& ske- . Just like the server said.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 9 months ago

BOOSH! Ha! OK, I'm about to geek out. Here I go... My dad grew up in Linn County and has always said words like bush, push, inch, cash, etc. as BOOSH, POOSH, EENCH, CAYSH. When I took my first linguistic class and the topic of dialects came up, I realized that this pattern of speech actually follows some rules. Basically, the vowels are only modified that way when they precede some sort of fricative, like --ch, --sh, etc. So there you go, it appears to be a pronunciation rule in an actual dialect.

notajayhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

Personally I think this whole thing is a lot of balogna.

It does, however, drive me crazy when Missourians refer to that town on the north side of the lake as Vur-sales.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 9 months ago

amazing!

well multi, glad you liked my python ref, but you're right poon has me beat! that was ROTFL!

shut up you retards, this guy has class and you people are polished turds::.

oh, arent we such a classy guy/gal using words like turd...oh, do we have the right pronounciation of turd? do we like to have it served on toast? hot turd on toast?
this guy is not cool. his LTE is at best silly and self-absorbed. that's being charitable.

Spam, wonderful spam spam, wonderful spam

"spam spam spam spamspam spam baked beans and spam."

Hoots 6 years, 9 months ago

This just makes my head hurt. Get a life. Too many phd's with too much time. Is it bonehead or boonehead?

Bob Harvey 6 years, 9 months ago

Why in the world do we insist on calling Nurnburg, Nuremburg...and Muchen Munich? It just ain't right I tell ya.

Drew_Carey 6 years, 9 months ago

Yes bearded_gnome, 100 boosh points to Poon.

notajayhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

Pleiku (Anonymous) says:

"Why in the world do we insist on calling Nurnburg, Nuremburg:and Muchen Munich?"

Yeah, why do we keep calling Beijing "Peking?"

Oh, wait...

Roma Rome Firenze Florence Venicia Venice

Hell, why do the Japanese call Mexico Mekishiko when their limited sound system would fit much better with the way the people who live in Mexico call their country: Mehiko?

BrianR 6 years, 9 months ago

"Dogs bark in america but they yark in France."

SNORT!

jplanet 6 years, 9 months ago

I happened upon a linguistics major this weekend who is native to Spain. He said pronouncing it both ways is correct. The word could even have its origins in the French language instead of Italian...therefore the Italian pronunciation would be inaccurate. Interesting.