Archive for Monday, March 3, 2008

Linwood girl shot in head now in coma

March 3, 2008

The 5-year-old Linwood-area girl who suffered a gunshot wound to the head Feb. 23 is in a coma, according to an information hot line about her condition.

Katherine Cook has been in the pediatric unit of Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., since the shooting. She had surgery Friday to relieve pressure in her head. A CAT scan is scheduled for today to measure how much swelling remains in the back of her head, and doctors are hopeful it will continue to decrease.

Katherine is moving her body, but doctors are not calling it "purposeful" movement, because she is not responding to physical stimuli. The hot line said her left arm has not moved since Friday, and that she is breathing through a ventilator. Doctors are slowly taking her off sedatives and other stabilizing medication to see how she will respond.

Katherine was shot Feb. 23 as she played with her brothers outside her home, which is about 3 miles east of Linwood in southern Leavenworth County.

Officials believe the shooting was accidental, but are asking for the public's help in determining how the girl was shot. Anyone with information related to the shooting is asked to call the Leavenworth County sheriff's office detective division at (913) 758-4082.

Comments

hopper 7 years, 2 months ago

I believe she'll make it! Just believe in healing and I pray for the best.

james bush 7 years, 2 months ago

Heartbreaking.......God help her and us.

Oracle_of_Rhode 7 years, 2 months ago

Thoughts and prayers for this girl and her family.

acg 7 years, 2 months ago

I can't even imagine what this family is going thru. I wish there was something I could do or something I could say that wouldn't sound so trite, considering the grave situation. I don't normally pray but for this, I'm willing to give it a shot.

weatherguy48 7 years, 2 months ago

God bless the child of whom is a victim of recreational discharging of the most lethal weapon known to man.....used for fun, sport, and pseudo-'food'.

You boys have fun hunting tonight....try not to shoot any toddlers on your way out.

ksdivakat 7 years, 2 months ago

God Bless the family, and I pray that this child will heal with no complications and that she will be no worse for the ware, Im sure that the police will find out it was an accident, I have no problem with hunters, believe it or not, this is how everyone got their food until they started "farm raising" animals to be slaughtered, so its not a black mark on hunters as far as im concerned, however, somebody knows something....somebody knows that they were in that vacenity (sp) that day and that they shot agun off, so even if your not sure it was you....please come forward, because it only makes the person look guilty the longer the police have to search. But my prayers are with the child and her family.

rachelp2005 7 years, 2 months ago

The CT scan indicated the swelling has not increased or decreased... which I'm assuming is "positive". She was wiggling her big toe yesterday!! I am just so amazed at how strong our little Katherine is, and her will to fight to live!

As a side note--At church on Sunday, all the kids made cards to send to Katherine... One of the three year old girls didn't want to give her paper because she wasn't done, she wanted to take it home and finish... and one of Katherine's "best friends" (this particular girl, she would always say, "Kaff-rine is my best friend"... "Kaff-rine is coming to play with me today"...etc), states, "Don't you understand?? Kaff-rine is VERY VERY hurt right now, and she HAS to have your paper RIGHT NOW, it will make her feel better!"

I was in tears... If only it were this simple... that a piece of paper could "make Katherine better" instantly... when we had our prayer at the end of class, that same three year old prayed for Katherine, for her to get better so they can play again--how wonderful it is to hear the prayers of children!!! I know Heavenly Father knows what he's doing, this is a fight for all of us!

raeshumak 7 years, 2 months ago

My son is a friend of Katherine, we would get together often. My son will randomly start singing songs that will make Katherine feel better. They are songs that are comforting to me, songs about how God is in control and that he loves us and will take care of us. I am strengthened by the faith of Children. Thank you all so much for praying