Archive for Sunday, June 22, 2008

Witnesses say shooting occurred at large, outdoor bash

Incident near Cross Town Tavern second since April

Garbage litters the Parking lot outside of the Cross Town Tavern, 1910 Haskell Ave., where a 21-year-old Kansas City, Kan., man was injured in a shooting early Sunday.

June 22, 2008, 5:38 p.m. Updated June 23, 2008, 12:00 a.m.

Shooting at bar party injures one

Shots ring out for the second time in two months near an east Lawrence bar. One man is injured after being shot outside the Cross Town Tavern near 19th and Haskell. Enlarge video

Google Map

Cross Town Tavern

View Larger Map

Police arrested two people after a man was shot in this parking lot at 19th and Haskell.

A noisy party involving hundreds of people Saturday night in the parking lot outside Cross Town Tavern, 1910 Haskell Ave., deteriorated into violence when a 21-year-old Kansas City, Kan., man was injured in an early-morning shooting Sunday.

Lawrence police said George Alfred Briscoe of Kansas City, Kan., was taken to a Kansas City-area hospital with nonlife-threatening injuries following the shooting that occurred about 1:20 a.m.

Police took into custody Preston Gardenhire, 31, Topeka, and Erica Chamberlain, 35, Lawrence. Gardenhire was booked in Douglas County Jail for aggravated battery. Chamberlain also was booked on the charge of aiding a felon.

Cross Town Tavern hosted a "Gemini Party" Saturday, an all-day event with music, food, drinks and contests, according to a flier from the event.

"There was a big stage there and DJs set up on it," said Chris McKinney, night manager at Haskell Liquor Store, in the same strip mall as the tavern. "They had like a Hummer limousine with a couple of signs on it that said "Happy Birthday." The whole parking lot was full. They had a couple grills going on out there. It was quite a to-do."

McKinney estimated there were hundreds of people at the party which he saw before leaving work around 11 p.m.

"It was very, very noisy and it went on for a long time," said Carole Cassity, a resident who lives in a nearby apartment complex.

"As soon as I heard the popping sound, I went inside," he said.

Mark Hunziker, a Lawrence resident who was at the strip mall Sunday, said he had heard from people at the event that a vehicle was damaged in the shooting. He said he had heard that neighbors in the area complained to police about the noise from the party.

"It was huge," he said.

Comments

MandM 6 years, 6 months ago

Doesn't Lawrence have a noise ordinance? I know in my town there's an ordinance against loud music or noise after 10 PM.

fu7il3 6 years, 6 months ago

"Your town is growing, yes."Not according to the census. Perhaps the people coming into town from out of town is growing, but I'd say Topeka and Kansas City can keep them.

beatrice 6 years, 6 months ago

Remember folks, guns don't kill people -- certain types of music kills people.See you at the Yacht Club. Much safer there.

vpete69 6 years, 6 months ago

The no gun signs posted there must be defective.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 6 months ago

Darnell Jackson, a Philadelphia native who said he attended the bash, said it was a birthday party that was going fine until the shooting.Gun play is something of a mood killer.

ForgotAboutTodd 6 years, 6 months ago

A shooting involving someone from Topeka? LJ World commenters are shocked.

MandM 6 years, 6 months ago

RomanNose (Anonymous) says: MandM (Anonymous) says:Doesn't Lawrence have a noise ordinance? I know in my town there's an ordinance against loud music or noise after 10 PM+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Your town=who cares__________You should care. My point was that we have a noise ordinance and I'm sure Lawrence does too. Get involved and get the ordinances enforced to head off this type of thing. Also make a push to see if they had a permit for this party. Hold people responsible for their actions. Hold the law enforcement responsible for enforcing the laws you have to address problems before they get out of hand.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 6 months ago

Someone explain this to me. Did this require a permit, and if so, why was one granted so close to residential homes? I cannot imagine that taking place near my house with my child trying to sleep. I'd have had to "address" that kind of noise. Daddy-OldEnuf don't play dat!

Steve Jacob 6 years, 6 months ago

Cross Town has always been a problem, just not normally with guns. Fights happen all the time there. Sure, fights happen at every bar, but we all know Cross town has the biggest problems right now. They have to know now they are on the "watch list" with the police and the city, and need to be careful or they will get shut down too. I am not calling for it to get closed yet, but they better watch their backs, because you will see more police in that parking lot.

br0318 6 years, 6 months ago

Once again the haters are out in force. Everyone is picking on KC and Topeka again. How quickly we forget the last two homicides involved a Lawrence individual, as has earlier shootings. Topeka and KC AND Lawrence all have issues that need to be addressed. Take the rose colored glasses off people.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 6 months ago

Of course Lawrence has a noise ordinance. But.....someone has to call in and lodge a complaint first. Cops cannot arbitrarily drive by and shut down a party. Not in Oread, Alvamar, or anywhere else.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 6 months ago

"I don't understand why there are not calls from Merrill and his ilk to close the place down like the Last Call. Closing the Last Call didn't solve the problem it just moved it into residential neighborhood."Please explain this statement. Closing down Last Call absolutely solved the problem of large numbers of people (habitual attendees of a particular club) bringing guns and periodically firing them at each other in the 700 block of New Hampshire. I don't understand the "moved it into residential neighborhood" part. Are you referencing this article? How is this related to the Last Call shooting? How is a commercial strip mall any more of a "residential neighborhood" than New Hampshire street? Are you talking about gun crime in general? And that someone argued that closing Last Call would solve that? Because, you know, no one made that argument. I guess I'm just confused.

grimpeur 6 years, 6 months ago

Easy:Dude. Too true. All this gunplay is harshing my mellow.

Grundoon Luna 6 years, 6 months ago

Yes, you do have to have a permit for that kind of party.I help my friends organize a party to be held in the parking lot of their business and obtained a special party permit from the city.

RomanNose 6 years, 6 months ago

Nikki May 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm guessing it's residential because it's surrounded by single family homes. I also wondered about a permit. Did they have one?

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

Sigmund 6 years, 6 months ago

I don't understand why there are not calls from Merrill and his ilk to close the place down like the Last Call. Closing the Last Call didn't solve the problem it just moved it into residential neighborhood. I do take comfort that at least it is moving closer to Richards residence and not mine.

jaycat 6 years, 6 months ago

So tdiddy no one from Loonyville? "Erica Chamberlain, 35, Lawrence." When will you all realize that your town is a college town, your economy relies on out of town money. Your town is growing, yes. With growth comes crime. Deal with it. Stop pointing fingers at everyone else. Get a life.

tdiddy 6 years, 6 months ago

OK! This could have been a great party to comment on until someone had to mess things up with a gun... KC and TPKA. No one from Lawrence!!! This party was no closer to housing than the concert they just had at 9th & New Hampshire for the Ironman event, it's just the people that make the difference.

RomanNose 6 years, 6 months ago

MandM (Anonymous) says: Tee durp tee durp tee durpitty dee++++++++++++++++++++++++++Oh, really? That's so interesting.St. Johns just had a loud fiesta and there's always house parties with loud bands/dj's that go deep into the night without a hitch. In fact, over 80,000 fans converged onto Mass Street after KU's incredible victory over Memphis way into the night without any violence.Lawrence is a city and sometimes violent incidents occur in cities. It sounds like your town is "hard pimpin" and you're streetwise soo...Respekt!