Archive for Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fireworks display moving to Clinton Lake

Those trying to see the Fourth of July fireworks from downtown Lawrence this year will probably miss out. The Lawrence Jaycees have moved this year's show out of Burcham Park because of safety concerns.

June 18, 2008, 3:39 p.m. Updated June 19, 2008, 12:00 a.m.

On the street

Where do you go to watch fireworks on the Fourth of July?

My friend lives by a golf course in Kansas City and they put on a good show every year, so I usually go there.

More responses

Safety concerns have prompted organizers to move the annual Fourth of July fireworks display from Burcham Park, on the south side of the Kansas River, to Sesquicentennial Point at Clinton Lake.

In past years, about 5,000 people have crammed into the park, at Second and Indiana streets, and along the Second Street Bridge, leading into North Lawrence, to watch the fireworks, said Gary Saathoff of the Lawrence Jaycees, which organizes the annual display.

"There was always a fear, being next to the river like that, somebody could fall in. We've known for quite some time that we weren't going to be able to stay at Burcham Park forever," he said.

This July Fourth, people are invited to park in a field below Sesquicentennial Point, at the north end of the Clinton Dam north of the spillway, to watch the fireworks show. But only 2,000 cars will fit.

Saathoff said the fireworks likely would be visible from Clinton Lake and surrounding neighborhoods, but the field is the only organized viewing location.

"Please be patient with us and we'll try to do the best we can. If you've got a problem, we'll fix it next year," he said.

The City of Lawrence, Army Corps of Engineers, Lawrence Police Department, Douglas County Sheriff and Kansas Highway Patrol are participating in the planning for the event and will help direct traffic before and after the show, Saathoff said.

The fireworks display starts at 10 p.m. July 4 and is expected to last between 30 and 45 minutes. The Jaycees spent $14,000 - $2,000 more than last year - on fireworks. The field will be open to cars beginning at 8 p.m. There won't be a concert before the fireworks display this year because there's no electricity at Sesquicentennial Point, Saathoff said. However, there will be vendors selling shaved ice and ice cream.

Comments

packs_of_wild_dogzz 5 years, 10 months ago

"This is really a sad day for Lawrence."You've got to be kidding. Half you idiots probably have to drive the same distance whether going to Burcham park or Clinton. It' ain't like the lake is 150 miles away. Look at the bright side, you can stay home and complain about it.

Marcy McGuffie 5 years, 10 months ago

I don't think it's a huge deal that it was moved, though I'm a bit disappointed on a personal level. Now, others get a better view from their own homes. I always had a nice viewpoint near my house and we've enjoyed cooking out and inviting others over to view the show. But, I do think the explanation's kind of lame and it sounds like the Jaycees kinda threw it together at the last minute. I'm not sure it's all that organized? I guess we'll wait and see. No skin off my back. Just a bit weird, imo.Haha. People whining about whiners. Dangit - now, that screechy Alanis Morissette song's playing in my head. What is it called? Oh yeah..."Ironic." No, Alanis - rain on your wedding day, isn't ironic!

none2 5 years, 10 months ago

KURocks (Anonymous) says:"What a bunch of pathetic whiners we have in this town. Oh no, now you have to drive all the way out to Clinton Lake to watch fireworks. I like the idea, please stay home so we have less traffic after the fireworks display."===============It isn't about whining or driving, it is about just how goofy the reason is for moving it. People falling off bridges is right down silly. Do you not think the dam is just as high as the bridge (and probably higher)? Do you really think nobody will be walking up by the damn to watch the fire works?If they had simply said something like: someone paid them money to host it there, or it was cheaper insurance, or allowed for a much larger attendance, then we may not have liked it, but it would have made sense. However, to say the fear of falling is why they move is just plane lame.

KURocks 5 years, 10 months ago

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

Worth repeating:"Subject: Message from davidryan via LJWorld.comHello,The user davidryan sent the following message to you via LJWorld.com:==============================Hi. I know that this is a late request, but we don't allow links off toother sites in comments that serve to promo those other sites.We'd appreciate it if you did not link to strong>**.com in your comments.Posting content in comments is the way to go, not giving promotional linksto other sites.Thanks."Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

cool 5 years, 10 months ago

cool 5 years, 10 months ago

none2 5 years, 10 months ago

On a positive note about the move, more people will see the Eagle Bend golf course. That might get more people interested in playing out there. I'm sure the tax payers would like that.

none2 5 years, 10 months ago

Anonymous userMultidisciplinary (Anonymous) says:"And thus, I feel that small town paper much more enjoyable to read.;DThat's why we have Ronda backyard blog..to find some less sensational, warm fuzzies. Notajay's kittens, gnomes dinner menu, Ronda's belly dancing lessons..all good stuff."=========================But that doesn't seem to be quite the stuff that people want to follow of the warm-fuzzy catagory. What they need is talent contests & lost people shows. For instance: 1) The LJWorld needs a karaoke section where people can give it their best shot and submit the recordings. Then instead of people just typing how horrible, how good it is, have them record their response. 2) Have a dancing section with similar concept to the karaoke section, but have them dance. Same thing for responses. 3) Randomly select someone (on the street, on a bike, in a car, on the T (if you can find one)) and blind fold them. Tell them that they are lost, and that you will give them LOTS of money if they can get back home without the assistance of others. Give them a knife and gun so that can defend themselves against any wild animals that they can encounter. Also give them a reflective orange jumpsuite so that drivers can slow down when they see these "Lost" people. Have the LJWorld or channel 6 with live spy cams checking their progress. To help with the funding, we could put advertisements running at the bottom of these broadcasted videos.

hockmano 5 years, 10 months ago

packs_of_wild_dogzz (Anonymous) says: Some on you must have really boring lives. Is it really a big deal or do you just complain to pass the time?While there are some that make posts who really do complain about each and everything under the sun, most are complaining about a valid issue.Such as moving the fireworks display all the way across town.They dont want a Wal Mart on the westside, but I guess a huge crowd of drunks at the lake is okay.At least the drunks could walk to the display downtown.Now, they will have to drive and put all of us in danger to get to the festivities.Like I said, I will shoot off my own fireworks thanks.Most of the cops will be up by the lake.

none2 5 years, 10 months ago

number1jayhawker (Anonymous) says:"Good grief, some of you act like the eastern edge of Clinton Lake by the dam is way out in no-mans land. It's 5 minutes from 23rd and Iowa for crying out loud."=========================Yes I'm sure it will only be 5 minutes to get there that night. I think the other reason they put it there was so that some people when they return can enjoy the lovely roundabout. I'm sure after that, everybody will want their own roundabout.As to no-mans land, it must be out there. If it wasn't there would be a T stop there.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

none2 5 years, 10 months ago

Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says:"none2:I personally know someone who tried to kill herself by jumping from the bridge.In Lawrence, suicide "attempts" don't get covered, unless there are throngs of people wondering, say a student found in a dorm, alive but questionable.Now if someone actually killed themselves and the body was being looked for that would get coverage. And those where the body is found somewhere."==========================My mistake then. I just assume that if anybody found out about it at the paper they would cover it. Not because they are good or bad journalists, but because they have to keep stories flowing. It isn't like we are a major metropolitan paper. (Of course, I remember our little western Kansas paper where to fill space, you would see stories about someone's second cousin twice removed coming to town and and all the things they cooked for them while visiting. Or if someone was celebrating their 23rd birthday. Or the birth of a new litter of kittens or puppies... Not that they were bad stories, but you could tell they had to find SOMETHING to write about.)

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

"If they are powerful fireworks, they should be going high enough into the air so people can see them for miles."---This might not be so. The city may be blocked by the height of this area from the valley up to 15th.When the last storm came through with the black cloud, the lowered part was blocked quickly by this same area. This area is less than 2 miles from my house, we'll have to see this year.I used to live behind Hallmark Cards..not so far from the river display you might think, 1 1/2 miles, but due to elevation changes, we had to stand in one upper floor window..literally standing and holding children up in the air..and we only saw the very last highest ones.By the way, neither the Clinton Lake website, nor Google Maps lists the place mentioned. Interesting.."Sesquicentennial Point at Clinton Lake" big news for Lawrence, small chum for the Corp?

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

none2 (Anonymous) says: What a silly move. People falling off the bridge. I moved to Lawrence in 1980, and I don't recall anybody falling or deliberately jumping off the bridge. Did I miss some addition of the LJWorld over the years that covered all these deaths/suicide attempts?---none2...I personally know someone who tried to kill herself by jumping from the bridge.In Lawrence, suicide "attempts" don't get covered, unless there are throngs of people wondering, say a student found in a dorm, alive but questionable.Now if someone actually killed themselves and the body was being looked for that would get coverage. And those where the body is found somewhere.Come to think of it, I know many suicide attempts in somewhat public circumstances that were not in the news.Way to go Lawrence,a little decency... I applaud!

number1jayhawker 5 years, 10 months ago

Good grief, some of you act like the eastern edge of Clinton Lake by the dam is way out in no-mans land. It's 5 minutes from 23rd and Iowa for crying out loud.If they are powerful fireworks, they should be going high enough into the air so people can see them for miles.

Marcy McGuffie 5 years, 10 months ago

mommaeffortx2 (Anonymous) says:rammy why so hateful?______Insecurity. My theory goes deeper, but I'm afraid the LJW censors wouldn't approve...

none2 5 years, 10 months ago

not_holroyd (Anonymous) says:"hawkperchedatriverfront (Anonymous) says:"A way to promote the Sesquicentennial plaza. I wouldn't drive all the way out there either: . ."...Sell that under-taxed property on Louisiana street and move to Hamilton, Stanton, or Morton Counties... Lots of corn cobs out there too."---------------------------------------------Actually, I doubt there are many corn cobs. First of all, that area typically planted in winter wheat or sorghum. Some have grown corn in the past, but they better make sure they irrigate heavily if they want much success. If they are growing corn now (thanks to the government ethanol adjenda), I'm sure that they take all the corn (including the cobs) to the nearby ethanol refinaries they are building -- such as in Hayne, KS.

not_holroyd 5 years, 10 months ago

hawkperchedatriverfront (Anonymous) says:"A way to promote the Sesquicentennial plaza. I wouldn't drive all the way out there either. . . . ."Only a crotchity old bitter shell of a man can hold a grudge against an inanimate object like the teeny tiny sequicentennial point. Sell that under-taxed property on Louisiana street and move to Hamilton, Stanton, or Morton Counties. They will have their 4th celebrations, much smaller, but I bet you can park way up close. Also, no bus systems, CDBG, neighborhood associations, universities, or tax abatements to worry about. Real splendor in the grass. And if you get too teed off at he politicians in Topeka, you can move 10 miles west and get a different set. Lots of corn cobs out there too.Of course you would have fewer wonderful neighborhoods, and my dog wouldn't be able to walk by and say "hi" to you.

blue73harley 5 years, 10 months ago

MattressMan - I remember the Independence Days celebrations. Me and the family really enjoyed them. I guess you are right..it has been around twenty years or so ago!

justaminute 5 years, 10 months ago

The reason the Jaycees do not shot the fireworks show at KU Memorial Stadium is for the required safety zone from the fireworks shooting location. The minmum distance is 600 feet from the show location that no one other than the display operaters and safety personnel. That is in all directions, the KU track from one end to the other is 600 feet.

none2 5 years, 10 months ago

What a silly move. People falling off the bridge. I moved to Lawrence in 1980, and I don't recall anybody falling or deliberately jumping off the bridge. Did I miss some addition of the LJWorld over the years that covered all these deaths/suicide attempts? Oops, I forgot that there was a suicidal dog that jumped off the bridge. That must be why they are moving the fireworks:http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/nov/10/bridgejumping_dog_reunited_owner/I remember when the fireworks were at the stadium. I found it kind of boring. Sure the hill was ok for some people, but other than that it wasn't that special. Plus now with all the construction there is even less space in that area... Now as for Burcham Park, it was kind of cool with all the excitement going on in the levee -- and of course the tense excitement and fear of seeing so many people (and dogs & cats) fall off the bridge and levee into the river. Maybe what they should do is move the fireworks to Perry Lake and convince Topeka to do the same. We could combine and have a much larger display.

MattressMan 5 years, 10 months ago

Hawk, they used to have a festival called "Independence Days" at Burcham if you were around 25 years or so ago. Lasted 2 or 3 days and had an old fashioned theme, guess there werent enough people interested to keep it afloat. For those that think falling in the river is no big deal, with the water flow right now you fall into that river there aint no getting out. All it takes is one stupid person, warning signs or not someone would get blamed and most likely held liable. So with that maybe it'll be back down at the river next year if the water levels are at normal stage.Somebody said something about ticks out there, do ticks not exist in Burcham park?

rammy 5 years, 10 months ago

Alot of bitter east lawrence posters today.Sorry you live in a trailer by the river....

fu7il3 5 years, 10 months ago

Has anyone actually fallen in the river? Or is this just a paranoid baseless fear? I'm not being sarcastic, I just can't recall an incident since I have been in Lawrence.

blue73harley 5 years, 10 months ago

momma - technically it is inside the city limits, but I understand the sentiment.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 10 months ago

Punker it is not the change it is the location, they have taken it clear out of lawrence, and that is what people are upset about. This is not the first change to happen to the display but at least the last one kept it in the city now it is not even the lawrence display anymore.

Victoria 5 years, 10 months ago

Well, we can all walk on the path out there or ride bikes on the bike trail out there and avoid the traffic. Most of us are too fat anyway. Those who are elderly and with young children could ride the T, if transportation is provided, or will have to take cars. (Probably there will be no T transportation provided since it is outside the city limits and liability, blah, blah, blah. ) I've been many places for 4th of July fireworks...Honolulu, California, Phoenix, Seattle, on lakes, and even in Oklahoma. The traffic and congestion is challenging to navigate where ever you go...it's just part of the process if one wants to watch fireworks from close up. It usually takes an hour or more (2+ hours in Honolulu) to go the 5 miles home after a 40 minute fireworks display, it's just all part of it. Go with the flow, be happy, or keep your grumpy self at home.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 10 months ago

I already promoted the idea of a shuttle. Lawrence is slow on the take. Oh, let me guess. The T cannot go that far because it , the show, is in the county. or is it? This is a promotion first and last for the Sesquicenttial point. Simple!

conservativepunker 5 years, 10 months ago

I can't believe that so many people in a progressive town like Lawrence would get upset over change.....oh yeah that's right...change is good until it affects what YOU believe in....

macon47 5 years, 10 months ago

well if they do, at least the seats in the t busseswill finally get used,perhaps they could have a couple of specialbuses for the homeless so theycan enjoy the fireworks since theywont be able to watch them from under the bridge

MarianKay 5 years, 10 months ago

I hope they provide shuttles for all the people who prefer not to drive or were planning to walk to the show.

GardenMomma 5 years, 10 months ago

No, falling into a river will just get you wet and maybe drown you or poison you from the pollution. Falling into a dam will get you first bounced off the rocks with maybe a head injury or broken legs and then into the water where hopefully it is shallower at the edge. Not to mention all those drunk boaters out there who hopefully will come over to help you out. : )

Easy 5 years, 10 months ago

They should make the road at the top of the dam one way during the fireworks show so that they can park people up there, that would be a nice vantage point.

blue73harley 5 years, 10 months ago

BTW - is falling into a lake any less dangerous than falling into a river? ;-)

toe 5 years, 10 months ago

Capitol Federal pays for the show in Topeka. Why don't they pay here too?

blue73harley 5 years, 10 months ago

I knew parking was going to be a problem when they first announced this. And traffic will be bad at the T-intersection where Clinton Pkwy ends. Tip -take 458 West and come across the dam from the south.Why no mention of a shuttle?

TopJayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

Multidisciplinary, you do crack me up LOL.. I live six blocks from lake Shawnee in Topeka. Everyone in town goes to the lake and it gets a bit crazy. But we do use the busses, and the park and ride idea. That part does work out well. Also lots of arts and crafts stuff, boat races and water skiing. But we also spend about twice to three times what you do for fireworks. It is a pretty good show. Not like the old days when they would shoot one shell about every minute.. boom.......boom..... what a hoot.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

1029 (Anonymous) says: Yeah, I saw like twenty people fall into the river last year.---the truly enterprising would have tied them together to make a raft with which to get a better view.

Sigmund 5 years, 10 months ago

misterlee (Anonymous) says: "What they should do is move the fireworks back to KU's Memorial Stadium, where they started." How many downtown businesses have store fronts at memorial stadium? I would have thought that Downtown Lawrence Inc would be willing to pony up some money to draw a crowd to their cash registers.inatux (Anonymous) says: "Lawrence sucks my soul out sometimes."That is the Nanny State writing laws to protect future Darwin Award winners so that they can grow up and become Legislature and Administrators for the State of Kansas and the City of Lawrence.

Stopbreakindown 5 years, 10 months ago

Blah Blah Blah No one cares; how pathetic Booooooooooooooooooo

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm picturing the day the locals went on the shark hunt in Jaws.This should be good. Drunks in boats looking up.Actually, the boaters at Perry have great fun, if it is somewhat scary at times.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 10 months ago

why don't they just rename it the Clinton township or Clinton lake fireworks show? It is not the lawrence fourth of july display any more. This is really a sad day for Lawrence.

Easy 5 years, 10 months ago

For those of us with boats this is a great move, should be fun.

Bowhunter99 5 years, 10 months ago

quit whinning about having 'to drive all the way down to Clinton Lake' and 'would be visible from surrouding neighborhoods'... The world doesn't rotate around the few loud loonie toons around here....

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 10 months ago

A way to promote the Sesquicentennial plaza. I wouldn't drive all the way out there either. Why aren't fireworks just shot off the roof of 1st National Bank ala las vegas style.Why even have the fireworks? Why not a real community event like an ice cream social with pies made by the commissioners and ice cream in old fashioned ice cream makers. Have the event at the Fairgrounds> Use KU park and ride and use the T buses. Maybe someone from the city commission will read this or the J/W and steal the T idea. Leave the driving to the T if it is to be at Sesquicentennial Plaza. Use KU Park and ride and Tanger Mall lot(for the folks from Leavenworth county and Jefferson county and North Lawrence. God get some imagination in this town. Rawlins county, Trego county, Oberlin , Pratt, Wamego, Washington County those communiites have to "think" outside the outhouse unlike Lawrence which is still dunked int the outhouse. Speaking of outhouses, will the one at Clinton Lake be declared historic and available for showing on the 4th of July? Was it a one holer or a two holer or a hole in one or was that "one in the hole"?My don't we all just have so much time on our hands. Better on our hands than on the clock!

igby 5 years, 10 months ago

There's no businesses open downtown anyway. What a loss of revenue for the past 17 years. I have wondered why 25,000 people would go see this show, when not one store is open for business downtown. Just cancel the show, no one really cares anyway! Nothing open at the lake either.

packs_of_wild_dogzz 5 years, 10 months ago

macon47 5 years, 10 months ago

fundraiser dui check points on the wayto clinton park and the way back

kugrad 5 years, 10 months ago

Now the West Lawrence crowd won't have to slum in North Lawrence. They'll be able to see the fireworks from their mcmansions out by Langston Hughes and Corpus Christi. They won't even have to mingle with the commoners who will drive out that way, if they can afford the gas. Bad move. No one has fallen in the river and been hurt all these years, but hey, it could happen, so let's just move the whole thing out to the lake. No one could fall in a lake, right?This blows.

TacoBob 5 years, 10 months ago

Ah yes, fireworks at Memorial Stadium. Back when you could buy fireworks and shoot them off at your house. Great fun. I remember lighting sparklers and throwing them off the top of the stadium and watching them land on the cars below. They must have left a nice mark in the paint as they burned out. Seem to recall the fireworks being at Haskell too. Cars were parked further back there. What is the statute of limitations on vandalism?

sandysslick 5 years, 10 months ago

Quit complaining it could always be worse, this could be Topeka!

toe 5 years, 10 months ago

I guess falling off a dam would be OK?

cowboy 5 years, 10 months ago

organized fireworks displays are for sissies , small children , and retired people , and that crabby a$$ old man who used to call the police on my kids every year. Legalize the Fourth of July again in Lawrence ! wheres the worst place to spend the fourth , in Lawrence of course !

OnlyTheOne 5 years, 10 months ago

misterleeThey claimed it was "dangerous" and "expensive" to insure. Of course all the folks sitting up on the south lawn watching who didn't pay to attend but gave donations anyway really perturbed them.

OnlyTheOne 5 years, 10 months ago

Every story has a secret to tell.Just in case you missed this one's Here' it is,"would be visible from Clinton Lake and surrounding neighborhoods."I mean, after all, why should all them yuppies be expected to drive clear down to shanty town to view fireworks?

Steve Jacob 5 years, 10 months ago

Hey, at least more cops will be out of town, so we can get away with our fireworks easier. :)

hockmano 5 years, 10 months ago

What ever happened to good old fashioned fun?I think more people would show up at Burcham since alot of them park at other spots nearby and walk to the location.Who the hell wants to drive all the way to Clinton Lake?I will shoot off my own.So go ahead and call the cops now.

Deb Stavin 5 years, 10 months ago

"There was always a fear, being next to the river like that, somebody could fall in."Oh good grief! Of course somebody could fall in. So what? If the city posts simply warning signs, would that be enough to absolve them of any liability if some idiot drowns? Aren't they afraid someone might fall off of Clinton dam? It's damn close to Sesquicentennial point.This will take a good night's business away from downtown. It was always fun to head downtown right after the fireworks.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

Back when they finished the show with the Harvey Wallbanger display. I found this alcohol reference really weird as a small child.I remember 3 things.The displays of course.The hard seating.The endless traffic when it was time to leave.Oh, wait, I first should have listed..the long long time before the show started!Night came quickly and easily every night except those spent waiting for darkness and fireworks.Off topic, but similar..how are those poor kids in Tongy holding up, knowing the pool water is in, and they can't go?!?!?!I hate to think of what those mom's are listening to daily.;D

Piggles 5 years, 10 months ago

Misterlee: I'm not sure how true this is- but my mom used to work with a lady who was a member of the Jaycees that provided the fireworks show at Memorial Stadium, but supposedly Jaycees couldn't pay their insurance if someone got hurt and KU kicked them out of the stadium. That was when Jaycees moved the fireworks show from the football stadium to the river and I haven't been back since. I do miss the shows at Memorial Stadium and I have wonderful memories of my family all going to the fireworks show there.

Kat Christian 5 years, 10 months ago

Crap... Well guess I'm staying home this year. I was just getting to enjoy the piddly fireworks here in Lawrence - coming from the East Coast where DC has an awesome display. I don't recall anyone falling in the river. In fact, I don't recall anything bad happening in the last 2 years I've been there. Oh well hip-hip-hurray America - I'm not coming to your party this year.

yankeelady 5 years, 10 months ago

And now too many obstructions. and of course the athletic department would want to charge big bucks for admission, probably to the entire campus.

vegetablegirl 5 years, 10 months ago

misterlee-too much damage to the field....

Bill Lee 5 years, 10 months ago

What they should do is move the fireworks back to KU's Memorial Stadium, where they started. It was safe and convenient. I never understood the move to the river unless it was KU deciding the Jaycees had to start paying rent in order to stay at the stadium. Any oldtimers know why the move happened?

Baille 5 years, 10 months ago

See definition 2: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prophylacticThat said, the tick situation out there could be interesting.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 10 months ago

And people can just burn a punk in their incense burners to give it "smell-a-vision".Set a couple of black snakes on the burners.Let the beer cans lay where they fall.Open the doors and let the mosquitoes in for just one night of slap happy fun!

Baille 5 years, 10 months ago

There are bike trails all the way out to the point. This should be fun.

1029 5 years, 10 months ago

What they should do is just broadcast a fireworks display on Channel 6. That way we could all stay safe in our houses and not have to deal with that deadly river or deadly Clinton Lake. The Lawrence celebration has really gotten out of hand the last few years with all those people falling in the river.

inatux 5 years, 10 months ago

Boring indeed. No offense to the Jaycees, I'd just rather shoot off my own. Lawrence sucks my soul out sometimes.

biggunz 5 years, 10 months ago

Let the complaining begin......boring.

1029 5 years, 10 months ago

It's always good for people to get out there and drive their cars more. Plus, the festive display of a community coming together in the downtown area has always disgusted me.Hopefully, in 2009 they'll move the display to Olathe.

1029 5 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, I saw like twenty people fall into the river last year. That's what happens when people go near rivers- they fall in. Great idea, Lawrence Jaycees, that river is sooooooo dangerous. Now we can all drive drunk all the way out to Clinton Lake and back instead of walking to the river of death.