Archive for Monday, July 2, 2007

Fireworks safety should be key for parents

July 2, 2007

Children ages 9 to 14 have the highest rate of injury from fireworks. Last year, about 75 Kansas children ages 14 and under were treated in emergency rooms or hospitalized for injuries involving fireworks. Many fireworks injuries are not reported.

"Teach your children what to do if their clothing catches on fire - 'stop, drop and roll' - and how to call 911 in an emergency," said Jan Stegelman, Safe Kids Kansas coordinator.

Safe Kids Kansas recommends that children not handle fireworks at all. The group also offers these precautions for adults using fireworks:

¢ Light fireworks only on smooth, flat surfaces and aim them away from buildings, flammable materials and spectators.

¢ Do not try to relight fireworks that malfunction.

¢ Do not carry fireworks in your pocket or hold them close to your face.

¢ Do not modify fireworks or use homemade fireworks.

¢ Keep a phone and water handy, and know first aid for burns. Also, keep a fire extinguisher handy and know how to use it.

¢ Finally, keep all children under active supervision - in sight and in reach at all times, with your undivided attention focused on them - when they're near fireworks.

"The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to watch them at a community event where professionals handle them," Stegelman said.

Comments

mumbojumbo 7 years, 5 months ago

How about not shooting fireworks since it is against the law in Lawrence,Kansas. There seems to be more people shooting them now than before it was illigal.

average 7 years, 5 months ago

There certainly seem to be more people shooting them for days and days beforehand. I guess people figure that if they're illegal anyhow, they can shoot them any day with the same repercussions (which appear to be zero).

Or, maybe my neighbors were just really celebrating Canada Day yesterday.

freeordie 7 years, 5 months ago

I like to see people celebrating the fourth as they have for decades. It warms my heart to see the flauting of this, yet another controlling law. What disturbs me is when people don't question or care when frivolous laws are imposed. Fire it up! It's funny that our freedom to celebrate is so restricted on the fourth. Educate people about fireworks safety. Supervise your children. Act with consideration toward your neighbor, but don't take away my freedoms.

Confrontation 7 years, 5 months ago

This is not a frivolous law. Do you think it's frivolous that 8-year-old Jewell Morse was killed last year by an idiot shooting fireworks in KC? Although I'm sure you're an expert on fireworks, people have very little control over where the fireworks land. Many homes and lives are destroyed every year by jerks who need to blow things up to feel more like men.

jayhawk166 7 years, 5 months ago

lets stop kidding ourselfs fireworks really unless miss treated dont cause injuries. and for your information i am an expert on fireworks and i can tell you that the number of fires in lawrence in the last twenty years caused by fireworks is one. how about smokeing? fires caused by cigarets kill ten times more people every day than fireworks do in an entire year. lets educated people on the real facts about fireworks before these liberal news agenceies get them taken away. if people want to shoot off fireworks on the fourth to celeb. independence why not?

kmat 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm about to fall over backwards because for the first time ever, I am in total agreement with Confrontation. :-)

jayhawk166 (how original) - you say you are an expert on fireworks, proove it? Do you make them? Do you work for the fire dept? Explain yourself or none of us will take anything you say seriously. Also, smokes are legal. Shooting fireworks inside city limits is not. And no, I don't smoke.

Fireworks are a hazard. The neighbor kids (freshmen in high school) that were left alone last year across the street from me with a bag of fireworks (that their parents gave them to keep them occupied) sure were grown up as they decided to have fireworks wars and shot them directly at each other, people's cars and neighbors houses. And their parents were pissed when we called the cops. Great parenting there.

In years past as firework debris fell on my house while still lit, that wasn't a hazard either, was it? Or the wonderful cluster bomb thing the neighbor kid shot off that went insane, smashed into my garage and made little dents and burn marks on the door wasn't a hazard either, was it? How about years ago when my parents caught a neighborhood kid trying to catch squirrels so he could blow them up with firecrackers? That wasn't bad either, was it?

The law is the law. You want to break the law, you should pay. The city should make Burcham or some other park a legal place to shoot off fireworks - only on the 4th - where there will definitely be supervision and no one's house will be at risk.

Hell, I'm taking most of the week off because there will be so much fireworks going off, I won't be able to get to sleep until late. And more poor dog has to be sedated (started last night) because of the fireworks. He thinks he's in a war zone and is afraid to go outside to pee. Pretty sad when a bunch of rednecks just have to make idiots of themselves and blow some stuff up (illegally) and my poor dog has to be sedated to get through it.

gr 7 years, 5 months ago

"Do you think it's frivolous that 8-year-old Jewell Morse was killed last year by an idiot shooting fireworks in KC?"

Do you think it's frivoulous kids are killed every DAY each year by drunk drivers?

"Many homes and lives are destroyed every year by jerks who need to blow things up to feel more like men."

Many homes and lives are destroyed by those who drink to feel more "grown up".

Point being, your point is less valid.

bender 7 years, 5 months ago

Okay, so drunk driving kills and drunk driving is illegal. Therefore if fireworks kill, they should and are illegal. Point being, your point proves the point.

countryman56 7 years, 5 months ago

Fireworks are kind of like guns, it's not the fire works. It's how the people use them. So let the city people shoot all they want in town. And just maybe some of them will stop coming out to the county roads and leaving their trash behind. Their is a law about lettering but most don't seem care as long as it's not in their yard. I think they should ban shooting fireworks on any street or road side. And the people fined for littering the streets with their trash.

Confrontation 7 years, 5 months ago

jayhawk166: Of course. You MUST be an expert. Isn't everyone? I seriously doubt that there's only been one fireworks-related fire in 20 years. You may not care about the lives of other people, and I hope someone shows you the same respect.

kmat: I completely understand what you're saying. There are too many idiots out there who are raising idiot children. The fireworks ban is just as great as the smoking ban.

gr: You must be some sort of idiot. Actually, I'm quite sure of it. How can fireworks be considered less of a problem because people also drink and drive? You must be one of those idiots lighting fireworks and putting everyone in danger. No surprise there.

Judgement_Angel 7 years, 5 months ago

Confrontation it is really sad that you don't see the bigger picture to what people are trying to say to you. Really so you think it is ok to ban this and ban that when we should be blaming parents out there who don't know who to raise or teach their children proper responsibility when playing with explosives. Yes fireworks are not toys and parents that let their children go out foolishly because they don't have time to spend with them while they go about their other parts of life are the true idiots. Because of them people like them that is why things get banned. Yes their was a kid killed by a bottle rocket in Riverside Mo last year (trust me I just got back this weekend), I am sure it was because of someone not paying attention to a kid with explosives. And yes Gr makes a good point. Drunks kill a LOT more people than fireworks do. Telling gr that they are the idiot is putting people in danger. Hell I bet you put people in danger everyday with your driving or what ever. You know you really shouldn't be so self centered and open your mind up and know that not everyone out there miss handles fireworks. So a few bad apples have to ruin it for everyone and close minded people like yourself just ain't any better.

OH...one more thing..The fire that caused lawrence to ban fireworks was years ago on Michigan st, the apartment that burned. Ya, I watched it burn and actually knew some people where the fire was. They said it was bottle rockets that started it because they found some in the apartment but funny thing is that LOTS of people get bottle rockets and the ones that lived in the apartment told me that a grill on the lower level that got knocked over is what caused the fire. Its people like you is why they pushed for the ban, not because of the fire because that fire was not caused by fireworks they just needed a good excuse.