Archive for Saturday, June 7, 2008

Bush barbs?

June 7, 2008

To the editor:

In the article about the Kansas University championship basketball team's visit to the White House and President Bush, Andrew Hartsock writes, President Bush "knows his Jayhawks. Or at least his speech writers do." Four sentences later, Hartsock notes that the president's dog relieved himself in the Rose Garden. At the conclusion of the account, Hartsock includes a former Lawrencian's comment about the president's remarks, "He was certainly well-briefed."

I don't know if Hartsock included these tidbits because he thought they were "cute" or if he was throwing barbs at the president of the United States. In either case, they left a bad taste in my mouth. Rather than editorializing, Hartsock should just concentrate on good reporting.

Nancy Keel,
Lawrence

Comments

scott3460 6 years, 6 months ago

bush gets exactly the level of respect that he deserves. Besides, the reporter offered the possibility that he might actually know something about the team. I thought that was pretty generous.

John McCoy 6 years, 6 months ago

As i look at my gas gauge and at the price on the pump, I still wonder who attended Cheney's closed-door energy meeting. It all comes back to Bush. He deserves no respect from anyone who cares about this country. I swear I could have done his job better than he has.

sfjayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

Nancy, are you the last member of the Bush fan club? Please turn the lights out when you leave, the rest of us are trying to conserve energy.

cato_the_elder 6 years, 6 months ago

Bozo, to make such a statement demonstrates conclusively that you know nothing about history, historiography, or historical analysis. Moreover, your patent bigotry still apparently prevents you from realizing that this event, as all such events are, was not intended as a vehicle for our basketball team to honor President Bush - it was just the opposite. If you heard Russell Robinson's interview thereafter, you might understand, but I doubt it. I needn't remind you that many Americans had to tell themselves quite often when President Clinton occupied the White House that no matter what his scandal of the day happened to be, he was our President - and whether or not he honored the Oval Office, we would.

christy kennedy 6 years, 6 months ago

I'd say Hartsock was being generous and restrained.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 6 months ago

I don't know which is worse-- Bush, the worst president in the history of the Republic, or his shameless sycophants whining about his getting just a tiny bit of his just due.

cato_the_elder 6 years, 6 months ago

Nancy, whatever the content of Andrew's article, it was nothing compared to the immature, sophomoric rants posted here afterward by certain tedious individuals whose fixation with the results of the 2000 election has apparently turned into a lifetime obsession.

kansas778 6 years, 6 months ago

Bozo, even if Bush is the worst president in history, he is the president, and it is a special event to have our team honored by the person holding that office. I don't see the need to cheapen that by throwing barbs at the president.

TheYetiSpeaks 6 years, 6 months ago

"Bush, the worst president in the history of the Republic"Again, I invite you to read anything about Andrew Jackson or Woodrow Wilson.

scrapgirl8125 6 years, 6 months ago

Nancy isn't the last Bush supporter. I am one too.

Corey Williams 6 years, 6 months ago

"Chester A. Arthur, like Clinton, kept a whore on the whitehouse premises."After all of the accusations raised in the press about Clinton (surely keeping a "whore" is not as bad as murder, as he was accused of), I have never heard of this. Are you speaking from your experience, beardy?

cato_the_elder 6 years, 6 months ago

Defender, why would you think that I myself would be one of the people I described who, like you, are fixated with the results of the 2000 election? Other than exposing the sad fact that certain people in Florida who voted apparently didn't know how to read, I was rather pleased with the results.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 6 months ago

Cato: I've noticed that a few folks on this forum seem to be fixated with Clinton and have made him their lifetime obsession.As for Bush, I say he has it coming to him. Good job basketball team, bad job Executive team. Bad, bad job.

endtimes 6 years, 6 months ago

Well, rather than peeing in the grass.....I suppose the dog could have walked up to Bush--during his presentation--and shoved his nose (rather forcefully) into Bush's crotch! That would have been a riot, huh?!And actually, now that I think of it.....I'd bet anything that if the dog had done that to any one of the ballplayers that ballplayer would have dropped his pants and underwear down around his ankles in a heartbeat---like some sort of Pavlovian response!I mean, afterall, isn't that what althletes do in their spare time anyway? They needs to get some "relief" "down there" from all them byatches and hoes that keep tryin' to bust down their hotel room door and all. Yuz know whut I'm sayin', bro?Sheeeeeet! (Anyway....think Kobe Bryant.) But seriously.....I see Nancy's point...and I agree with her.

temperance 6 years, 6 months ago

"Again, the liberal media tended to 'walk on by' Clinton scandals not Bush's though."I'll be laughing about this comment all day long.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

CTE,the irony is that now their party has chosen the candidate with the most delagates, not the most votes! now that sHrillary has been unelected by undemocratic democrat party rules, we shouldn't hear any more from them complaining about the 2000 election. for, that would be highly hypocritical!I will note, in case you weren't aware, "Cool" on here, has been trying to politicize the "two men shot" thread about shooting in east lawrence. that, and many of these psters here, demonstrate just how uncivil the left is these days! I agree with nancy in the letter! including the detail about the dog was sophomoric. and, they wouldn't have indluded it if it were clinton. history note, jackson did pay down the national debt, but in the process caused a huge economic depression! book: "hamilton's blessing" on that. valerie plame? you're showing your kool-aid intake. fitzie din't convict anybody on the so-called outing because there wasn't any. if there had been, it would have been richard armitage who did it, an opponent of the administration and buddy to colon powell. and, she went to work at the cia, and parked her car in the public lot* not done by "secret" operatives of the cia! stop ingesting the dailykos/moveon.org talking points uncritically. you look dumb doing that.

Boston_Corbett 6 years, 6 months ago

bilderberg and the posse comitatus should figure in here somewhere.

Corey Williams 6 years, 6 months ago

Mr_Nancy_Boy_To_You (Tom Shewmon) says:"I know there's one person out there who would not spend a second on a thought or afterthought of some passive-aggressive anti-Busher's comments: President George W. Bush."That would be because no one reads those stories and editorials to him.

camper 6 years, 6 months ago

Mr Nancy, when you say left, or right....liberal or conservative, you are marginalizing things. It would be easy if every thing was black and white. But it isn't. Same goes to those who disagree with you. Same goes to me. I'm wrong many times.

BigPrune 6 years, 6 months ago

"The Wall Street Journal has reported that hedge fund operator John Paulson got a visit from Soros after Paulson had made about $4 billion betting on a housing market collapse. Soros wanted to know how he had done it. But Soros wouldn't talk to the Journal about his meeting with Paulson."Soros needs to ask a billionaire like Paulson how he made his money?Isn't it more likely Soros invited Paulson to become a member in one of his private billionaire clubs like Democracy Alliance or into a plan to help sway voters into voting for Obama in the fall elections.According to an article in the New York News & Features the top ten earners in the Hedge Fund Market are:1. John Paulson, Paulson & Co. ($3.7 billion)2. George Soros, Soros Fund Management ($2.9 billion)3. James Simons, Renaissance Technologies Corp. ($2.8 billion)4. Philip Falcone , Harbinger Capital Partners ($1.7 billion)5. Kenneth Griffin, Citadel Investment Group ($1.5 billion)6. Steven Cohen , SAC Capital Advisors ($900 million)7. Timothy Barakett, Atticus Capital ($750 million)8. Stephen Mandel Jr., Lone Pine Capital ($ 710 million)9. John Griffin, Blue Ridge Capital ($625 million)10. O. Andreas Halvorsen, Viking Global Investors ($520 million)Mr. Soros started move on . org, and is a backer of Obama's campaign.Some food for thought if you can remove your blinders.

BigPrune 6 years, 6 months ago

JIMMY CARTER WAS THE WORST PRESIDENT EVER!!!!!No comparison between Bush & Carter.I just read that Hillary endorsed Obama. Let's see how much more George Soros' hedge fund will manipulate the oil markets and inturn the stock market so he can get his man (Obama) elected. Let's see how much his green companies increase in value, let's see how many people blame the high gasoline prices on Bush trying to make his buddies rich. What a brilliant move by Mr. Soros. How much can the American people take with the high gasoline prices? Enough to elect Mr. Soros' man into office so the gas prices might go down? Will they ever go back down?

Mike Blur 6 years, 6 months ago

Getting back at the original letter, the author should know that Kansas head coach Bill Self made the same remarks about Bush's speechwriters in a broadcast interview with Max Falkenstein on Thursday. Max commented that Bush seemed to know a lot about KU basketball history, and HCBS said, well, I'm sure his speechwriters had something to do with that, and the two of them chuckled about it and moved on. Nothing to get y'alls panties bunched up about.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 6 months ago

worst president?Chester A. Arthur, like Clinton, kept a whore on the whitehouse premises. clinton has no real accomplishments of historic significance; don't give me the balanced budget, it was the republican house that did that, and the republican house that forced his hand on welfare reform. besides, after the monica scandal broke, we knnow now that his presidency was paralized. he is the first president to be disbarred and fined, while in office. should have been convicted and removed by impeachment, though that would have put in mr. AlGore, mr. low-flow toilet global warming lining his ownpockets.

cato_the_elder 6 years, 6 months ago

Defender, America is my home and has been all my life, so I'm puzzled by your suggestion that I "move back home." If your reference to "here" means Lawrence, given your juvenile attitudes and numerous immature, ad hominem, and libelous posts directed against a number of your fellow commenters, the odds are pretty good that I've lived here a lot longer than you have. Also, in response to your earlier post that you were "sick" of hearing my views, I am delighted to accept that as a compliment, since nothing would please me more than making you even sicker.

acg 6 years, 6 months ago

I still don't get how you guys equate lying about getting a mouth hug from a chubby intern as being as bad as lying about the necessity for war and in essence murdering thousands of American troops and Iraqi civilians based on that lie.

Charles L Bloss Jr 6 years, 6 months ago

Who cares where the first dog pees? Don't you people have to go to journalism school? Thank you, Lynn