Archive for Monday, July 28, 2008

U.S. Highway 24-40 reopens after accident

Emergency workers remove the lumber from a lumber truck to clear a path for Leavenworth County EMS to move the truck's driver to an awaiting LifeStar helicopter. The accident occurred around 4:13 p.m. at U.S. Highway 24-40 and County Road 1.

July 28, 2008, 4:31 p.m. Updated July 28, 2008, 8:16 p.m.

Driver injured in rollover accident

Emergency workers were on the scene of a rollover accident near Tonganoxie this afternoon. Enlarge video

— One man suffered severe injuries after his semitrailer overturned at the intersection of U.S. Highway 24-40 and Leavenworth County Road 1 Monday afternoon. The road was closed after the wreck but reopened Monday evening.

The man, who was not identified pending notification of his family, was transported to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan. Officers on the scene said he was breathing and responsive, though badly injured.

The Leavenworth County Sheriff's Office said the truck, which was hauling lumber, overturned at 4:13 p.m., spilling lumber across the road. The driver was found pinned in the passenger side of the cab. A Tonganoxie emergency response team extricated him from the 38-foot truck.

"It is unknown why the individual left the roadway, but we have been able to determine that he left the east side of 24-40 Highway," Leavenworth County Sheriff Sgt. Mark Metcalf said. "As he tried to get back onto 24-40 Highway he lost control, overturned and was trapped inside the cab."

A LifeStar helicopter was dispatched to the scene, but was unable to take off because of mechanical problems. A ground ambulance was used instead to take the driver to KU Hospital.

The cause of the accident is under investigation.

Monday's wreck was the second in as many days at the same intersection. About 6:30 p.m. Sunday, a semitrailer overturned there. No more information was available Monday regarding the cause of the accident or the condition of the driver.

Comments

igby 6 years, 5 months ago

Late breaking news is fine with me because it's always "late breaking". Lol.

Curtis Lange 6 years, 5 months ago

Odd. There was an identical accident at the approx the same spot last night. Semi rolled over into the field at the curve before hitting Tonganoxie city limits.

Curtis Lange 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm sure people speed through that area, but what is worse is the idiots that slow down to about 50 right there. Even though there is a sign that clearly says the speed limit is STILL 65. That and people pulling onto the highway from County Rd 1 as well. Can't even count the times I've had to slam on my brakes to keep from rear ending some one doing that. So maybe that corner does need a nickname.It's good to hear the driver is going to be OK though! He may have survived this, but I wouldn't want to be in the bosses office when the 'what happened' meeting takes place.

star_08usa 6 years, 5 months ago

I live right next to the road... The accident wasn't in the same spot as last night, but very close. This accident was a lumber truck and we could hear how fast he was driving and then the crash. He rolled and spun his truck sideways into a ditch, and I'm surprised he's even alive, as the engine in compounded into the road. They're still picking up the lumber. It's odd that we are having so many accidents on the same corner this summer. Our prayers go out to him....

Tongie_soccer 6 years, 5 months ago

Just FYI to all - my husband is a firefighter on the scene and just called to say it be a while before they get done but the driver is expected to be fine.

compmd 6 years, 5 months ago

Strange...just last night I saw a completely smashed semi trailer being towed into Lawrence on 24/40.

star_08usa 6 years, 5 months ago

I do agree it's the speed of drivers... We could hear him comming- he was flying.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

Just so you know, this area is actually closer to Lawrence than Baldwin City. An accident involving a critical injury on a major artery feeding Lawrencenear rush hour seems to warrant a breaking news banner to me.Jonathan KealingOnline Editor---but a severe thunderstorm watch didn't merit such a banner the other evening???I do agree this does merit one. ***okay, so we now have the tongie triangle? akin to the bermuda triangle?

1Patriot 6 years, 5 months ago

Just one question:: are there a lot of bicycles on that road?

dminear60 6 years, 5 months ago

Jonathan Kealing:I had read the Breaking News online before I left work in Topeka for my daily commute to Tonganoxie. I appreciated knowing about the accident so I could plan accordingly.

Sigmund 6 years, 5 months ago

So now the LJW is going to have a red "Breaking" banner and report on every accident in NE Kansas?

danhayseed 6 years, 5 months ago

So I am guessing you feel that this is not news worthy that a human being is in critical condition that may need our thoughts and prayers rather than pissing and moaning.

TongieMom 6 years, 5 months ago

Tongie_soccerGlad to hear hopefully the driver will be fine...coming home this evening it looked HORRIFIC...

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 5 months ago

Yes, and it's not as though the Tonganoxie paper is a news partner/affiliate of the LJW.

Joe Hyde 6 years, 5 months ago

KUweatherman, I respectfully disagree. That intersection with Leavenworth Co. Road #1 is busy enough with people decelerating and turning onto it, and turning off of it and accelerating onto US-24, that the commonsense speed limit through there ought to be 50 mph instead of 65 mph. Also, bear in mind that a posted speed limit that says 65 (or whatever) is only telling us what the maximum allowed speed is? It's a speed "limit", not a speed "requirement".

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 5 months ago

Just so you know, this area is actually closer to Lawrence than Baldwin City. An accident involving a critical injury on a major artery feeding Lawrence near rush hour seems to warrant a breaking news banner to me.Jonathan KealingOnline Editor

JeepTJ 6 years, 5 months ago

Two accidents in less than 24 hours...wait till additional traffic is dumped onto this stretch of highway when the new turnpike interchange access on County Road 1 is complete. They may have to add a helipad to that corner.Glad to hear that the driver from today's accident is going to be ok.

Chad Collins 6 years, 5 months ago

Sigmund, you are not a happy person are you? They are a news agency....I'm sure their intention is to inform commuters. Ya, that's it!

bwar33 6 years, 5 months ago

well speed was not the cause of this accident!! i know that these trucks are governed to 70 mph! so at most this truck was only going 70 mph and that curve is not bad enough to cause him to loose control even at that speed. so someone either had to pull out in front of him or was going slower than the posted speed!! most people who have never driven a truck don't understand that they can't just pull out in front of us drivers and hope we can just stop!! the driver is a great co-worker!!! so to all who think bashing on the driver for speeding when they have no clue on how fast he was going, well maybe it just sounded like he was going fast but, i don't know show me a big truck driving down a 65 mph highway that sounds like it is going slow!! but knowing this guy i know if the speed limit is 65 he was going 65!

lianne 6 years, 5 months ago

Jonathan K: Thank you! This is very informative news. This is a very heavily traveled road everyday.

lianne 6 years, 5 months ago

1Patriot: There are some bicyclists, but not a whole lot. Why do you ask? Those cyclists who do ride on it are brave because there isn't really a shoulder of any kind on 24/40 to Lawrence...As for the driver of the Schmidt truck, I hope you are alright and you will be in my prayers.

Ken Miller 6 years, 5 months ago

Please continue to give breaking news headlines to accidents like this. I was able to avoid the 24/40 mess and take the Turnpike home to Lawrence. Midday news alerts are a good thing.

TongieMom 6 years, 5 months ago

No one knows for sure what caused the accident....could have been someone pulled out in front of him, he might have momentarily taken his eyes off the road to answer the phone, change the radio station or put a cup back in the cupholder....no one knows.I drive 24/40 to Lawrence at least twice a day...65MPH is the posted speed limit, but rarely is that the norm. You're either being unsafely tailgated or passed while doing 65-70 by speedracer (who you end up being right next to at the light in Tongie) or pacing yourself behind 89 year old Farmer Joe who thinks the speed limit is still 45-50mph with no opportunity to pass. Keep in mind that particular stretch of highway (from about Honey Creek (I think is the road...just south of the church) to about the other side of the curve) has seen several fatility accidents over the years...thankfully, this was not added to that list.Thoughts & prayers to the family.

jcbhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I began commuting this road about 3 months ago and this is the 4th major accident at that intersection. It's not a particularly sharp curve, so I don't know why there's such a problem, but something needs to be done.

Curtis Lange 6 years, 5 months ago

riverat, that may be so. However, no driver should just randomly slow down when it is not needed. That curve is not so severe to cause a driver to slow down by 15 mph when other drivers behind him/her are still doing the legal speed limit for the half to 3/4 mile past the last 65 mph speed limit sign. THAT is more dangerous, plain and simple.

Fort_Aubrey 6 years, 5 months ago

"However, no driver should just randomly slow down when it is not needed.">>>>Huh? You have got to be kidding.If we are getting to the point that drivers do not notice slower traffic in front of them, and we start blaming that slower (50 mph!) traffic, instead of accepting our own responsibility, we have a heck of a problem on our hands.65 mph speed limit signs do not mean you should be going 65.

cupcake1970 6 years, 5 months ago

I have known the driver of this truck for over 22 years. To my knowledge he has not had an accident in over 19 years. I also believe that in order to get the job of being a truck driver he had to provide proof of a clear driving record. I also agree that a person shoud be able to slow down on any road whenever they deem it necessary. Isn't there a rule of not following too close? So to whoever is having a problem with people "unnecessarily" slowing down on that road maybe you should back off.