Letters to the Editor

Scooter terms

July 19, 2008

To the editor:

I read with great sadness about the scooter rider being killed on one of our streets last Sunday. My heart goes out to that poor man's family.

I would like to correct a misnomer, here. The man was riding a scooter, not a mo-ped. The term mo-ped is given to those very small, very underpowered motorized bicycles that have a very small engine AND a set of pedals to help it get going from a start: mo- (motor), ped (pedals). Most of the small scooters that are in use today are somewhat more sophisticated and have larger engines and NO pedals.

The scooters are gaining in popularity and range from the small 49cc engines all the way up to a 650cc engine. The larger ones are called maxi-scooters and are for all intents and purposes more motorcycle than scooter.

Thanks for letting me clarify the terms.

Donald Hall,

Lawrence

Comments

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 9 months ago

Good point, budwhysir. Also, I think we should call every 4-wheeled vehicle that's not a car an "eighteen wheeler."

Dwight_Schrute 5 years, 9 months ago

Keith, I sat next to that guy last night. What a buffoon!

Keith 5 years, 9 months ago

Is this the same guy who corrects his waitperson when they mispronounce bruschetta?

classclown 5 years, 9 months ago

And quit calling cyclists bikers.

Mama 5 years, 9 months ago

You can certainly tell the difference between those who ride scooters/motorcycles and those who do not. Perhaps many of you find this to be an inane topic but the fact is the LJWorld writers were wrong. There's a difference between a mo-ped and a scooter. A bicycle is " a vehicle with two wheels in tandem, usually propelled by pedals connected to the rear wheel by a chain, and having handlebars for steering and a saddlelike seat" and a motorcycle is "a motor vehicle similar to a bicycle but usually larger and heavier, chiefly for one rider but sometimes having two saddles". So does that make it okay to refer to a motorcycle as a bicycle? No. Nor can you call a scooter a mo-ped. Apples and oranges? Maybe more peaches and nectarines, but you get my point.

budwhysir 5 years, 9 months ago

they are underpowred by the efect of the debate on what makes a moped. I feel that with all of the major events in the world, we should take a great deal of time out to debate this issue.I will never be able to sleep not knowing what will be needed to classify this area of our world

packs_of_wild_dogzz 5 years, 9 months ago

Most scooters out there are 49cc and 150cc with the 49cc scooters comparable to the old school "mopeds", and scooters today are actually smaller in size. I'm not sure why people keep calling them underpowered. Underpowered compared to what? They go the speed limit.

budwhysir 5 years, 9 months ago

yep I see that they make alot of those old mopeds with pedals on them. I think anything not classified as a motorcycle would fit in the term moped

igby 5 years, 9 months ago