Letters to the Editor

Creative taxing

July 19, 2008

To the editor:

Hey! I've got it! It was in front of us all the time. All we need is a city sticker for automobiles. Somewhere around $100 a year. Oh no, cost should be based upon value of the vehicle or maybe the reverse of the EPA-estimated fuel economy - lower fuel economy means a higher cost for the city sticker!

Look at the untapped tax money there! And this city sticker doesn't have to only be for Douglas County vehicles. It would have to be bought by any vehicle to be operated or parked within the city for say one month; over that you need a city sticker. That'll get the business vehicles licensed out of state but used in Lawrence. There you go, folks. Use that money to fund the T, cut down on driving, increase parking places.

Oh, wow, am I brilliant or what! I'm gonna have to move back to the city so I can run for commissioner 'cause I've got even more ways to tax the residents.

John Hamm,

Baldwin City

Comments

Chris Ogle 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey, I have another idea... live within our means

monkeyhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I caught the satire and still think igby is right on (except that first paragraph is a little harsh.)It just goes to show that people are getting a little frustrated having to fund every want and need of the socialist system to the detriment of their own personal needs. For some who work their tails off to take care of themselves and their families, only to have more and more of it taken away and given to the helpless, there comes a breaking point. Seems like igby is getting there.

Brent Garner 6 years, 5 months ago

Somebody should shut this letter writer up! This could very readily become law! Just look at California where a new car tag system is being implemented!

igby 6 years, 5 months ago

John, you should change your name and move to Alaska, bright boy. Your going to need health insurance and a body guard to protect you from the masses of people who will try to hurt you. I've got a better idea. Lets put a sticker on everyones forehead that will cost them for their cost to society that defines who they are and how much they and their family has already cost the American tax payers. The air you breath will be free but however, paying for the air you breath will be assessed when you exhale and you'll be taxed if you breath smells like a deadbeat, liberal freeloading government much, that thinks with a drug pickled brain and votes for the Boog's of the world who supports the gas guzzling T buses to haul your fat welfare fed and government insured selfish and self centered butt to the bar, Community Merc and the SRS office.Did the government have to pay for your very existence?

Yabut 6 years, 5 months ago

Don't forget that this is the same commission that wanted to tax retirement and savings accounts. Although written as satire, the commission may just take this idea seriously.

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 5 months ago

No Bowhunter99 that's a State of Kansas license sticker not a City sticker.

boltzmann 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow, someone appears to be satire impaired...

Chris Ogle 6 years, 5 months ago

I am sure glad I can gripe on this thing. It makes me feel better. NO MORE TAXES PERIOD

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

Tax multiple posts made on JLW made by the same user on the same thread within 5 minutes.